Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria (10762 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Adamawa To Spend N200 Million On Prayer Warriors, Vigilante To Curb Boko Haram / 'Tinubu Was Never Arrested Nor Convicted Of Any Crime In Usa' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 5:22pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Of course there's bound to be mistakes. It can't be 100% effective.

You may be right about the bolded but if you conduct further research on these countries you'll realize that they are countries with strong morals from the onset and it has been passed down from generations to generations. Same cannot be said about Nigeria. Things are getting out of hand and we need extreme measures in other to curb them.

Strong morals are products of families and communities/societies, not police or law enforcements or death penalty. Without them (families/communities), you can never have strong morals. The problem with systems that trust capital punishments is that they rely on the justice system rather than families and communities to create a morally acceptable society. That is what I call misplaced trust.
When you empower families and communities, you would find that there may never be any need for even a police force.
Let us go back to family/community shared responsibility in the upbringing of children. That is how our fathers lived without about 95% of crimes plaguing our societies today.
Capital punishment is illusory. It does not stop any crime. It may reduce it, but at the price of greater societal violence, which renders those gains mute.

I gotta run. cool
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by KayDee4: 6:31pm On May 18, 2012
Whether or not the introduction of capital punishment will serve as a deterrent to crime, all still boils down to the effectiveness of our justice system.
If capital punishment is introduced right here, right now, it still wont work because the justice system is corrupt or ineffective and no one (i mean the openly corrupt politicians) will ever be found guilty.
People will fear the law if the custodians of the laws (police and judges) hand down judgements and punishments accordinly for crimes committed.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Originakalokalo(m): 7:02pm On May 18, 2012
Capital punishment is good.u produce fake drugs,u die by hanging,yor drugs would av killed a lot,so u deserv to die.u steal above 20billion,u die by hanging.because i dont know wat a single person wants to do wit it.If u are a judge and you collect bribe to jail an innocent man,u die by hanging.u have convicted a lot of innocent people,so u deserve to die.when God was rulling the israelites,he introduced capital punishment.once a proper investigation can be done,then there is notin rong wif capital punishment.THE WORLD TURNED TO WHAT IT IS TODAY BECOS OF INJUSTICE.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Originakalokalo(m): 7:08pm On May 18, 2012
.you collect a contract to repair a road,and you chop the money and do a sub-standard job.u die by hangin.a lot of people would have been killed on that road.anytin you do,that can result to the death of a fellow human being,you die by hangin.shikenna.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by supremebeing09: 7:10pm On May 18, 2012
No punishment is a punishment in Nigeria. Only petty thieves continue to bear the brunt of stiff justice. The real offenders are still at large and nothing is yet to be done about that.

The most important thing is to lament on the dilapidation of the penitentiaries/correctional facilities in Nigeria. For corrective facilitation to proceed, we need a sound judicial system to implement and enforce the chain of events leading to the incarceration of culprits. Until these two issues - the judiciary and prison acts - are looked into, there will be no will to impose punishments on the perpetrators of hideous criminal activities in Nigeria.

By the time we have jails similar to San Quentin, slam Kwang Prison - aka "Bangkok Hilton", Alcatraz Island Prison and Tadmor Prison, any individual would definitely think twice about offending.

Until then, in my opinion, I do not see any way of curbing crime in Nigeria, particularly with corrupt politicians. Ibori sets an obvious example.
As for petty criminals, they will continue to be used as scapegoats as a means of justifying the effectiveness of the judicial system in Nigeria, covertly violating individuals' human rights. 10 years in jail for stealing =N=100,000? And nothing is dished out to daily law breakers. Ridiculous.

Capital punishment would only make the constitution appear rather barbaric in today's globalised world. China, Iran and the likes continue to face international condemnation due to their violation of human rights, especially capital punishment. Obviously capital punishment could be the last resort if we're willing to condemn ourselves to marginalisation by other economies. Then again, capital punishment seems to be a very effective way of tackling corruption in China. Individuals are getting death sentences for accepting bribes as meagre as $1M (compared to the amounts involved in Nigeria). And no one is exempted from prosecution. Lai Changxing, the Chinese-Canadian fugitive, was sentenced to life imprisonment only yesterday for a string of conviction including smuggling, money laundering and corruption. He only got a life sentence because of negotiations between the Chinese authority its Canadian counterparts. Every single individual - politicians, law makers and associates - were either sentenced to death or given lengthy sentences with forced labour.

On that note, reasons for or against capital punishment are open to debate.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by otus4me(m): 1:49am On May 19, 2012
I think capital punishment will be the best. Guys have u forgotten the days of elijah where once u sin u die. Then people are afraid to commit sin. So if capital punishment is being introduced, though we have goats among sheeps, everybody will seat upright.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by bknight: 7:09am On May 19, 2012
afam4eva:
Even in America and the developed world, guilty people are unknowingly sent to the gallows. That's why extensive investigations have to be done to ascertain that someone is guilty.

If u heard d story of d man dat was wrongfully executed in d US, u might hv a rethink. When I heard d prison chaplin describe his execution, broda it jst didn't make sense.

Its on record dat from statistics, capital punishment is not known to reduce crimes per se.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by melvournis(f): 9:27am On May 19, 2012

They know it would be suicidal to them.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:36am On May 19, 2012
bknight:

If u heard d story of d man dat was wrongfully executed in d US, u might hv a rethink. When I heard d prison chaplin describe his execution, broda it jst didn't make sense.

Its on record dat from statistics, capital punishment is not known to reduce crimes per se.

I don't think the justice system is set up to REDUCE CRIME in the way you suggest. The Justice System is PRIMARILY set up to ensure Fairness at the end of the day. It is still up to INDIVIDUALS to choose to take actions to Reduce crime or Not.
Take for instance the situation in Mexico. It is NOT the case that the Mexican Justice system is NOT FUNCTIONING AT ALL. It is just that more people are engaged in crime -- more gang shootings and killings, perpetrated by individuals(not the system).
The Justice system can do all within it's power to help curb crime -- such things as incarcerating offenders(locking them away at least helps reduce the chances of THEM repeating said crimes), and helps provide some form of justice for the victims so they are less likely to seek revenge(commit crime in retaliation). The Justice System has never been prescribed as a magic bullet for solving the crime problems in the world, or any Nation. If you want to solve the crime problem or reduce crime in the way you suggest, you significantly reduce the population of this planet.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by bknight: 6:47am On May 21, 2012
I'd normally have consented to capital punishment for murder cases. But d episode of d innocent guy got me thinking:
"Is d law fair to d innocent man dat was executed wrongfully?". How does d family (esp d Deluna's sister who went to witness his execution) feel knowing her brother was wrongfully executed for a crime he didn't commit. It jst didn't feel right. It gave me goosebumps angry

In some countries, its as easy as carrying drugs. I'm totally against it being used for such cases.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by oyinbogirl(f): 2:55pm On May 21, 2012
mm there seems no easy answer for this, ppl can be innocent and wrongly killed, it has happened before. On the other hand the judicial system is far to lenient and as well slow to take action most of the time. And is it right man taking anothers life? Cos me thinks that would count as murder right? Some countries offer the dealth penalty only for specific crimes, i dont follow to see how that works, but i guess if its a murderer or drug trafficker then its one less in the world to cause havoc
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by tck2000(m): 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
oh
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by kingzizzy: 2:24pm On Jul 16, 2020
Afam4eva:
As we all know, corruption, armed robbery, cheating, bribery have all become a culture in Nigeria and it is practiced by majority of Nigerians and whenever i hear people say that Nigeria will get better, i'm kind of lost as to how that will happen since those that are supposed to effect change are also guilty of these crimes. But let's assume, that, by the a special intervention, Nigeria gets better, what is going to happen to the millions of people that have swam in the ocean of corruption that it has become a hobby for them. What will happen to the die-hard armed robbers that will continue the only trade they know since they were not introduced to something else in the early years of their lives. What will happen to the average Nigeria that sees bribery as a religion that must be strictly adhered to in order to go places. How are we going to change the way we behave, live and the way we treat each other? That's why i recommend that the government introduces capital punishment for anyone found guilty of curruption, armed robbery etc. That way we can curb this menace in our society because it seems no matter how long you catch a criminal in Nigeria, when he's out of jail, he goes back to his vomit. What do you guys think?

We have capital punishment for armed robbery, has it in anyway reduced armed robbery?

We have capital punishment for terrorism, has it stopped terrorists?

Capital punishment for corruption would be a step too far.

I oppose capital punishment, it has not proved to act as a deterrent anywhere in the world

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wuese Tyopev Decamps To APC With Thousands In Benue / Oyetola: God, Osun People Will Decide My Fate In 2022 / Nigerians Are the Most Corrupt People In the World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.