Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,488 members, 7,826,839 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues (13572 Views)

How Sexual Abuse By Male Police Officers Fuels HIV Among Female Colleagues / Lagos Ebola Patients Neglected,critically Ill – Relatives,colleagues / UCH Doctors Suspend Strike For A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 18, 2012
drnoel:

U are not a doctor, so u can say anything u want 2 angry angry angry but still will not understand the bullshit that is going on in these silly government institutions. I find it soooo annoying angry angry angry . The silly state government sacks working doctors angry angry and then employs new ones immediately in the hope to, what was the word they used "curb a stubborn child" . Ofcourse what do u expect will happen. All colleague will come 2getther 2 declare support, its part of oat that is taken. If they don´t work, then we don´t work period.

You are so fu-cked and frustrated sir ! grin grin
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 18, 2012
Most people here are not well-informed.(1)Accomodation is not free for doctors.govt deducts rent from their salaries.(2)under labour law,employers cannot sacka striking workers.(3)ACN operates capitalism especially in Lagos State(4)Since doctors are just like other workers,they 've right to go on strike just like other workers.(5)all health workers in d same level d same basic salary,what makes difference is call-duty or overtime allowance for doctors while nurses get shifting allowance.

3 Likes

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 18, 2012
Laalamed: Most people here are not well-informed.(1)Accomodation is not free for doctors.govt deducts rent from their salaries.(2)under labour law,employers cannot sacka striking workers.(3)ACN operates capitalism especially in Lagos State(4)Since doctors are just like other workers,they 've right to go on strike just like other workers.(5)all health workers in d same level d same basic salary,what makes difference is call-duty or overtime allowance for doctors while nurses get shifting allowance.

Deja vu grin cheesy
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 18, 2012
Govt is just using hippocratic oath to exploit,victimize,abuse and blackmail doctors.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by drnoel: 12:59pm On May 18, 2012
naptu2: If Fashola agrees to this, then other health workers (pharmacists, etc) will go on strike. Once he increases the salaries of other health workers, the doctors will then go on strike. It's time to take a stand.
he can have fun with taking his stand, at the end of the day who suffers
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by drnoel: 1:01pm On May 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

[s]You are so fu-cked and frustrated sir ! grin grin[/s]
on the contrary I work outside but I do have colleagues and friends there and I know what they suffer cos am in contact with them.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 18, 2012
The following conversation ensued between me and my elder doctor sista doing residency today.

*A resident doctor is a doctor employed by the hospital to perform normal doctor work while he or she is being trained quite different frm an house officer as resident doctors cn alredi practice anywhere since they are through with medical school*

Me: hi what's up I heard luth doctors av joined the strike too.
Sis: Yes ooo but it doesn't rily affect me. I'm still working sha.
Me: I need money to rent accommodation for NYSC.... I wasn't given a place.. Can you imagine.
Sis: I so much need money too. Luth is yet to pay me. Can you imagine this Nigeria is nonsense. How can I av been working since january and this is almost June and I av not been paid?
Me: Na wa oooo.... Since January....
Sis: Do they expect you to steal. And if you complain they will say they're saving it for u. And u shud be lucky u're not doing supra. And of all the federal hospitals luth pays the lowest and give no accommodation. Shebi fashola has sacked all the doctors and taken his father to america. Useless man. I cn barely eat right now and transport myself to work.

*Supra are doctors who pay the teaching hospital to do residency because the slots for resident doctors employed by the hospital has been filled*

Me: U're a charity doctor...ℓ☺ℓ
Sis: God forbid. Was it charity that paid my school fees. Or is it charity that will put food on my table or buy car for me.
I hate to say residency came at the wrong time... I was making good money in ****. At times close to 200k
Me: Is **** doing residency also?
Sis: Yes. Thnks for her.. I wud av been very broke. I'm staying in her accommodation for now sha. She started residency like 2 years ago.

*end of conversation*
Should doctor's strike? U decide for yourself

2 Likes

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by slq(m): 1:05pm On May 18, 2012
The earlier Lagosians Know d Govt is playin politics with their health the better.I cant really believe pips views on this forum about issues..they r really like a lot of Dumb pips in Nigeria dats Y d politicians keep using em like fools...B4 Drs go on strike all other avenues of diplomacy must ve been exhausted..that's why NMA must ve supported Lagos Drs

2 Likes

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Ohbeedee: 1:05pm On May 18, 2012
LASG sef will soon go on strike
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by manny4life(m): 1:13pm On May 18, 2012
Me personally, I'm not a fan of unions and do not support them. Look at most of the companies/organizations in the U.S., they have been crippled by unions. If they begin strike, FIRE THEM ALL, let the worse happen.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by onyxo76(m): 1:18pm On May 18, 2012
lets do some math here about how many patients a doctor can possibly see in a day assuming he works for 8 hours non stop from 8 am to 4pm. 5 minutes per patient equals 12 patients per hour. 12*8=96 patients per day...what quality consultation can one get if a doctor has only 5 minutes to attend to you?and that includes examination and writing out your prescriptions.... these doctors must be super human if they claim to see 200 patients per day... no wonder they miss diagnosis and forget to write the right medications when already fatigued and overwhelmed.i can't risk my life being attended to by an over stressed doctor!!! i hope these newly employed docs are coping well sha!!!

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by drnoel: 1:20pm On May 18, 2012
12 inches!:
The following conversation ensued between me and my elder doctor sista doing residency today.

*A resident doctor is a doctor employed by the hospital to perform normal doctor work while he or she is being trained quite different frm an house officer as resident doctors cn alredi practice anywhere since they are through with medical school*

Me: I need money to rent accommodation for NYSC.... I wasn't given a place.. Can you imagine.
Sis: I so much need money too. Luth is yet to pay me. Can you imagine this Nigeria is nonsense. How can I av been working since january and this is almost June and I av not been paid?
Sis: Do they expect you to steal. And if you complain they will say they're saving it for u. And u shud be lucky u're not doing supra. And of all the federal hospitals luth pays the lowest and give no accommodation. Shebi fashola has sacked all the doctors and taken his father to america. Useless man. I cn barely eat right now and transport myself to work.

*Supra are doctors who pay the teaching hospital to do residency because the slots for resident doctors employed by the hospital has been filled*

Sis: God forbid. Was it charity that paid my school fees. Or is it charity that will put food on my table or buy car for me.
I hate to say residency came at the wrong time... I was making good money in ****. At times close to 200k
Sis: Yes. Thnks for her.. I wud av been very broke. I'm staying in her accommodation for now sha. She started residency like 2 years ago.

*end of conversation*

this is just a tip of the ice berg of problems Doctors face
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 18, 2012
drnoel:
on the contrary I work outside but I do have colleague and friends there and I know what they suffer cos am in contact with them.

My bad. . . .Why not organize a strike action where you are in solidarity of your peeps in Lagos ? grin

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 18, 2012
bayooooooo: All that's required is for Fasola to employ more doctors for Lagos state hospitals.

Let the federal doctors go on strike forever, LASG is not their employer and as such cannot dictate their actions.

There will only be problem if they attempt to disrupt their working colleagues. In that case, some of them can be arrested and charged to court for constituting public nuisance.

Oga doctors from where? Do you think it easy to become a doctor....Or how many doctors do you av in ur family? (No offense). Doctors will only move to a better country. Unfortunately Nigerian doctors that av the opportunity are leaving. So my question is doctor frm where?
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Deekaydadon(m): 1:41pm On May 18, 2012
How can u compare 9ja with Us? U cnt expect docs in 9ja to be treated like those in the US if they want to be treated as such they shud move to the US.

U're talking about their pay do u knw that FG has not paid money to state govts since march yet they manage to pay their workers
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 18, 2012
naptu2: If Fashola agrees to this, then other health workers (pharmacists, etc) will go on strike. Once he increases the salaries of other health workers, the doctors will then go on strike. It's time to take a stand.

Exactly jare, and the cycle continues until they bring the state on its knees.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by mbulela: 2:25pm On May 18, 2012
My problem is that the doctors are doing a very poor job of stating their case.
It is not even obvious what they are striking for.one minute they say it is over the govt's unwillingness to keep to an agreement reached over a year ago. the next minute they say it is for improved working facilities.
The govt is painting a picture of docs as greedy and insensitive.
While i support strikes in certain conditions,it is difficult to support striking docs when you have no clear picture what they are striking for.
If they have an agreement to which the govt is acting stubborn,then they should shut the hospitals because the polity is worthless if govt can not be held to its word and that word is short of a bond.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by mbulela: 2:34pm On May 18, 2012
12 inches!:

*end of conversation*
This type of post is part of the problem.
What exactly are doctors striking for?
Is it late salaries? is it a lack of accommodation?
What exactly is this strike about?
By the way, your sister doctor works in LUTH and that is a federal institution not a LASG org.
Your sister doctor is lucky her own is since Jan. i know a guy who is a consultant and has been working for one of these federal teaching hospitals and has not been paid since he was absorbed around March last year. Dude has a family and has been surviving on his wife's salary and PPs.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by clubone05: 2:40pm On May 18, 2012
Let's get the facts right first
...the doctors were not sacked because they went on strike...to do that would be unlawful...(Fashola being a lawyer isn't dumb)
....The doctors were sacked because they refused to answer a query(which is common practice)...if you have ever worked..you should know that the penalty for that is loss of employment..(That is what the law says)

.....Not all the doctors were sacked because some doctors responded to their queries...

...Let us note that the erring doctors BEGGED for their jobs back..because they were in the wrong..

...No agreement is iron clad..(Esp if situations have changed...)So negotiations should be ongoing

And seriously I think doctors are full of it...they are not better than others on essential duties...the goal is to save lives and be heros...

But...the doctors are the product of the society and this same society gave us this useless govt..

I h.a.t.e the nigerian govt as a whole...they can't honor an agreement and can't pay workers as when due...they are over paid and steal public funds...useless president..with no balls...but fashola dey try...I'm just saying...

If you don't do what's demanded from you u get sacked...your union agreed to resume work...and u can't answer a simple query..na wa ooo
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 18, 2012
ekt_bear: What the fvck type of bulls1t is this.

Solidarity strike?

Because the Lagos government didn't recall its employees? What business is it of yours who the Lagos government decides to hire or fire?

These doctors are all crazy.

The unions 100%, absolutely must be broken.

Evil and monstrous entities, unions.
why stem-out on NMA and the striking federal doctors? An injustice has been done to their rank which stands highly condemnable and u expect the rest to look-on? For a better understanding of their action, i will imploy u to read up the hippocratic oat they have sworn to and issue a retraction and apopology to ur earlier post. Tanks
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by thehomer: 3:13pm On May 18, 2012
12 inches!:

*end of conversation*

What? She hasn't been paid for the last 5 months? I hope their union is going to move to have the interest of their salaries added at the prevailing rate because this is just inhumane.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by jarkbauer: 3:17pm On May 18, 2012
Even if they want to go on strike. The emergency room and the clinic should not be left unmanned and they should be seen as reluctant to go on strike by extending the ultimatum given. With that people will know they value life.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by allycat: 3:28pm On May 18, 2012
[quote author=Deekaydadon]How can u compare 9ja with Us? U cnt expect docs in 9ja to be treated like those in the US if they want to be treated as such they shud move to the US.

In the same vein why should Nigerian doctors work like their counterparts in the US. Why should Nigerian patients expect to be given the same level of care that American doctors give their patients. Do the Nigerian doctors have the same facilities, state of the art diagnostic services or do you think the doctors in US are seeing patients that have been treated at home with antibiotics, agbo etc and then lie about it and expect miracles from their practitioner. Have you seen a hospital in the US that doesn't have, comfortable consulting rooms, call rooms for doctors on duty to sleep while on call or theaters where light goes off during procedures. So going by your analogy the Nigerian patients too should move to the Us if they like medical care in the US.

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 18, 2012
why
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by jarkbauer: 3:40pm On May 18, 2012
I know the doctors will not make unreasonable demands. If government really cares about its citizens then they should have addressed the situation. Instead they government abandoned lagosians to suffer. Imagine I had an appointment with a Urologist in LASUTH. The total cost of the operation was about 37000. Now that they are on strike.to use same surgeon I will have to part with about 350000 which I don't have. Now who's suffering. Na we the patients ooooo. Fashola is a mad man

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by babapupa: 3:52pm On May 18, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Its about time these Nigerian doctors know they are not Gods. If the UN comes in and ask them why they are striking what will they say? You have govt house, good pay and you want more or else you will live people to die and you say you are humanitarian! F/cking sadist. I stand with Fashola 101% on this. These doctors can go to hell for all I care. Employ more willing doctors afterall some countries are managing well with lesser doctors/Nurses/Health workers. Nigerian doctors are overrated with their quackness. They need to be put in their place. This is f/king annoying
Well said.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by drnoel: 4:05pm On May 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

My bad. . . .Why not organize a strike action where you are in solidarity of your peeps in Lagos ? grin

Its really ur bad isn´t it. But what u say is easy said than done and u know it. The problem is in lagos and it must settle in lagos, am just sorry for the patients that would be stoke in the centre of it all and my heart goes out to them but if the government decides to be unreasonable, then reasonable people will have to act like animals. All our colleague here are in support, carry on colleagues.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by snookies(f): 4:24pm On May 18, 2012
I honestly don't care who is at fault in this matter all I know is that I pay tax to the lasg and they should provide health care for me like any responsible govt or return my money! Whatever is going on between lasg and its docs is not my business, the gov shd sort out its human resource issues ASAP.

I sense a class action law suit against the lasg in the offing. . . Oh wait I forgot, the judicial system is crap as well. . .Smh!
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by EvilBrain1(m): 4:28pm On May 18, 2012
I'm a doctor and I haven't been paid for months either. I still go to work everyday even though I'm usually balls to the wall broke.

People don't really understand what these doctors are fighting for. It's not really about the small amount of money Lagos refused to pay. It's about the principle that your employer cannot tamper with your money no matter what, even if they are the government. It's to show that when you sign an agreement, you have to keep your end no matter who you are. Might is not right.

If you look at it in those terms, then the doctors are really fighting for all Nigerians.

For a single guy like me, it would be so easy to move to Ghana and get more money for doing less work in a far safer and saner environment. The reason I stay here is because money is not really the issue. The same applies to most doctors.

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 18, 2012
12 inches!:

Oga doctors from where? Do you think it easy to become a doctor....Or how many doctors do you av in ur family? (No offense). Doctors will only move to a better country. Unfortunately Nigerian doctors that av the opportunity are leaving. So my question is doctor frm where?

If doctors are so scarce as you have claimed, by now they should have moved to other states with more promising returns. why are they killing themselves on a non issue?

stop deceiving yourselves! Doctors are scarce yet Fasola employed more 300 within a month of recruitment.

moved to a better country? why have they not gone? Do you know how many exams to pass before you can even be allowed to touch someone?

They've been rightly sacked. They should carry their bad attitude somewhere else.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 18, 2012
Evil Brain: I'm a doctor and I haven't been paid for months either. I still go to work everyday even though I'm usually balls to the wall broke.

People don't really understand what these doctors are fighting for. It's not really about the small amount of money Lagos refused to pay. It's about the principle that your employer cannot tamper with your money no matter what, even if they are the government. It's to show that when you sign an agreement, you have to keep your end no matter who you are. Might is not right.

If you look at it in those terms, then the doctors are really fighting for all Nigerians.

For a single guy like me, it would be so easy to move to Ghana and get more money for doing less work in a far safer and saner environment. The reason I stay here is because money is not really the issue. The same applies to most doctors.

seriously, you should leave. i mean look at the people you are suffering yourelf for . . . angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by dwas: 6:45pm On May 18, 2012
Whats wrong with this doctors now. I think fashola should move to the next stage. Hes still paid their last month salary despite their absent at work. A doctor disclosed.

Most of them that have private hospital dont pay their workers well. yet they feed on govt.

may God help us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

German Drugmaker, Biontech Set To Develop Malaria Vaccine / 12 Most Common Factors Affecting Female And Male Fertility / FCT Discharges 4 More Coronavirus Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.