Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,245 members, 7,822,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Fashola Renews Call For State Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Renews Call For State Police (8093 Views)

Court Renews Arrest Warrant On Tompolo, Orders Security Agencies To Produce Him / Nyako Vows To Sue Jonathan Over Funding For State Of Emergency / ANPP Declares Support For State Of Emergency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Renews Call For State Police by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:49pm On May 18, 2012
IKEJA – Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, yesterday, renewed the call for the creation of state police.

Speaking on "Options and Strategies for Restructuring the Nigeria Police Force," at a public hearing on Police Reform in Nigeria, in Lagos, Fashola said: "The opposition to the establishment of state police structures in Nigeria has largely been driven by an exaggerated, misleading and unfounded precedent focusing on the abuse of state police through political interference and manipulation."

He noted, however, that "upgrading the existing police system as the central law enforcement institution in the country cannot occur in isolation. It must be part of an overarching restructuring of the total law enforcement infrastructure, including a reform of the criminal-justice system insulated from politics.

"It is, therefore, with total conviction that I believe that there is a need for the establishment of state police. If we say we are practising true federalism, then each constituent part of the federation such as the states, municipalities and federal government all have their autonomy for their daily affairs, while issues like international affairs, common currency, defence and other unifying interests are vested in the Federal Government."

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/may/18/338.html

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:52pm On May 18, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: IKEJA – Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, yesterday, renewed the call for the creation of state police.

Speaking on "Options and Strategies for Restructuring the Nigeria Police Force," at a public hearing on Police Reform in Nigeria, in Lagos, Fashola said: "The opposition to the establishment of state police structures in Nigeria has largely been driven by an exaggerated, misleading and unfounded precedent focusing on the abuse of state police through political interference and manipulation."

He noted, however, that "upgrading the existing police system as the central law enforcement institution in the country cannot occur in isolation. It must be part of an overarching restructuring of the total law enforcement infrastructure, including a reform of the criminal-justice system insulated from politics.

"It is, therefore, with total conviction that I believe that there is a need for the establishment of state police. If we say we are practising true federalism, then each constituent part of the federation such as the states, municipalities and federal government all have their autonomy for their daily affairs, while issues like international affairs, common currency, defence and other unifying interests are vested in the Federal Government."

PDP led Government don't know the meaning of federalism.

They believe everything involve sharing money and so they want to pokenose into affair of each state.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Gbawe: 3:13pm On May 18, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: IKEJA – Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, yesterday, renewed the call for the creation of state police.

This is precisely what many agree to be the way out for Nigeria. It is highly instructive , for example, that the PIB remains unpassed despite how we have a PDP President, VP, Senate President, Speaker House of Rep plus majority in upper and lower legislative houses. Nothing indicates that PDP = regression.

The truth is that, if the PDP truly desires it as a matter of utmost urgency , we could have a new constitution that serves Nigeria better in a very short time. The PDP only prefers to pretend the tail wags the dog, ala "military" constitution is 'preventing' them from leading well, because of what they benefit collectively from things remaining as they are. The PDP totally has the tools at its disposal to transform Nigeria. That is something no sane Nigerian should/could dispute.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by OYINBOGOJU(m): 3:27pm On May 18, 2012
Gbawe:

This is precisely what many agree to be the way out for Nigeria. It is highly instructive , for example, that the PIB remains unpassed despite how we have a PDP President, VP, Senate President, Speaker House of Rep plus majority in upper and lower legislative houses. Nothing indicates that PDP = regression.

The truth is that, if the PDP truly desires it as a matter of utmost urgency , we could have a new constitution that serves Nigeria better in a very short time. The PDP only prefers to pretend the tail wags the dog, ala "military" constitution is 'preventing' them from leading well, because of what they benefit collectively from things remaining as they are. The PDP totally has the tools at its disposal to transform Nigeria. That is something no sane Nigerian should/could dispute.

When they don't do what they are suppose to do at the right time even though they know they suppose to do it.

Isn't that insane?
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Bontee: 4:26pm On May 18, 2012
I really do not see the connection between what fashola proposed and PDP, state police is part of the need to restructure the country so let everybody fight for a sovereign national conference where every issues can be trashed.

Today it is state police, then tomorrow resource control and the next power generation and transmission and followed again by revenue collection and not forgetting FG should hands of roads to state government. Let us kill the dog with one big stone, we have the national assembly made up of all parties and ethnicities in Nigeria so let them push for the reforms and leave PDP out of this.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 18, 2012
Not Just State Police, Resource control, electricity generation and distribution and universities

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by jason123: 4:36pm On May 18, 2012
Fashola, GOD FORBID IT IN NIGERIA! You hear me so?! GOD FORBID IT!

So people like Ibori, Tinubu,Orji, Akala, OGD, Timpre sylva, Ohakim etc and co can hold us to ransom abi?! I reject state policing in JESUS NAME! Amen!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by jason123: 4:38pm On May 18, 2012
Before you know it, they will start arresting their political opponents. Imagine if we had state police in Imo while Ohakim was the governor? I bet Rochas would have died in prison!
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Bontee: 4:39pm On May 18, 2012
LeoMax: Not Just State Police, Resource control, electricity generation and distribution and universities

In that case a full constitutional review or sovereign national conference would be appropriate and not doing it one by one. We have all our representatives in the national assembly so let them do the right thing and this has nothing to do with political parties.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by OkijaPriest: 4:44pm On May 18, 2012
jason123: Fashola, GOD FORBID IT IN NIGERIA! You hear me so?! GOD FORBID IT!

So people like Ibori, Tinubu,Orji, Akala, OGD, Timpre sylva, Ohakim etc and co can hold us to ransom abi?! I reject state policing in JESUS NAME! Amen!

Is that all!!

What about all those Yoruba touts and Ex-NURTW militia that would now be legally allowed to bare arms?! It would be a field day for Agberoism in all the western states..

Checkpoint scenarion in Lagos;

State Police; (in a hoarse voice) ARGH!! Omo!! See moto! Oga ejo park well..

Citizen: Hello

State Police: Kiloshe!! Funmi papers kia kia...

Citizen: What papers

State Police: Argh!! you are 'h'asking me what papers!! Oya bole!! Wa gba station!! You wii spend 5 night for station!! Beni!!

Abeg no o!! We no want!!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by jason123: 4:46pm On May 18, 2012
Okija Priest:

Is that all!!

What about all those Yoruba touts and Ex-NURTW militia that would now be legally allowed to bare arms?! It would be a field day for Agberoism in all the western states..

State Police: Argh!! you are 'h'asking me what papers!! Oya bole!! Wa gba station!! You wii spend 5 night for station!! Beni!!

Abeg no o!! We no want!!

grin grin grin

You don craze! But I agree!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Beaf: 5:00pm On May 18, 2012
Will Aregbesola's Tawun operatives be legalised as police too?
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Beaf: 5:01pm On May 18, 2012
Bontee: I really do not see the connection between what fashola proposed and PDP, state police is part of the need to restructure the country so let everybody fight for a sovereign national conference where every issues can be trashed.

Today it is state police, then tomorrow resource control and the next power generation and transmission and followed again by revenue collection and not forgetting FG should hands of roads to state government. Let us kill the dog with one big stone, we have the national assembly made up of all parties and ethnicities in Nigeria so let them push for the reforms and leave PDP out of this.

Simples. cool
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 18, 2012
To harass lagos doctors,abi.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Efizzi: 5:04pm On May 18, 2012
Okija Priest:

Is that all!!

Abeg no o!! We no want!!

THIS GUY YOU ARE JUST FUNNY...I FEEL YOU JARE
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by djustice: 5:18pm On May 18, 2012
He wishes he had state police to kill the Lekki 19, instead of arresting them; to kill the doctors, instead of sacking them; to round up all PDP in Lagos State and charge them for the offence of opposition.

State Police ke? In Lt. B. R. Fashola's hands, they would be an instrument of repression. In Field Marshall Bola Ahmed Tinubu's hands, they would be an army of occupation. Forget state police and give us potable water to drink joor. Yeyenatu!!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by TheShopKeeper(m): 5:21pm On May 18, 2012
Thirteen years and counting since the so-called biggest party in africa (PDP) have been in power, they could have ammended the constitution given by the military rulers.
It is plainly obviously that the constitution is not helping the nation, a more laid out constitution which fully represents the diverse nature of the country is urgently needed.
We are just doing the same things and expecting different results unfortunately this will not happen.
How the party has survived in 'raping' nigeria is beyond comprehension.

If true federalism is practiced, each state will have their police force which I believe will be more effective.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by BabaO2: 5:25pm On May 18, 2012

It is either u are an arm robber that don't want armed robberies put to an end or you are a stark illiterate of the issue. If u are talking of using it as political weapon against opposition or federal govt, is the military not under the federal govt to curb their excesses?, just Gej rolling out millitary during subsidy protest in Lagos

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by naptu2: 5:27pm On May 18, 2012
We had state police in Nigeria in the past and we currently have state police
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by SisiKill1: 5:29pm On May 18, 2012
Okija Priest:

Is that all!!

Abeg no o!! We no want!!

And this differs from what they presently do how. . . . ?!!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by eddycmj: 5:38pm On May 18, 2012
HHmmm!! State police!! D only institution holding Nigeria together is the Military, nd now Fashola wants to decentralize a branch of the military! Datz quite dangerous ohh!!!
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by virgo(f): 5:45pm On May 18, 2012
Okija Priest:

Is that all!!

Abeg no o!! We no want!!

No, I am not laughing. grin I don't see what the big deal is about though. A state police might be ideal to deal with security problems in states. The center is too powerful. There must be a reason why we are practising federalism.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by kelvincoll(m): 5:51pm On May 18, 2012

Seconded oh jare, He already has thousand of state police (agberos and touts) constituting nuisane, even the ''reformed'' ones (Kai and lastma) how has it help lagos state?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Gbawe: 5:52pm On May 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

And this differs from what they presently do how. . . . ?!!

Indeed.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Bontee: 6:13pm On May 18, 2012
Wetin conern PDP and constitution reform, everybody should hold their representative on the neck and leave party affiliations aside. It has absolutely no determinant in this case for a national party like PDP.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by texazzpete(m): 6:50pm On May 18, 2012

I hope nobody listens to this man.
When he gets his own state police now he'll pay them less than what the federal police are getting and justify the reason by saying "Lagos state has a population of 17 million people"

When he can muster up the honesty and decency to respect human life and pay the Lagos doctors what their federal counterparts are earning, i'll take him seriously. Nonsense!
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Litmus: 7:41pm On May 18, 2012
Nigeria has grown too sophisticated for its current third world mindset.This partly explains why we're having such upheavals. Our industries are too sophisticated for the power supply, our status too sophisticated for our military capability, Our business acumen too sophisticated for the type and scope of business being operated, Our criminals too sophisticated for our current law and order capability and so on and so on. Two of the most urgent update needed now in Nigeria is Military and Police. We need to increase our military strength and increase the number of police and insure a new more advanced level of training. State police seems a good idea but in conjunction with Federal Police and more women are needed in both forces.

Fashola himself is an example of the new way of doing things. We've outgrown the old way, (the big man politics) but tribal and regional sentiments wont allow us to let go when all indication are that we should . The big men of the North, South, East and West are old hat, they'd have no power if we let go.

We've grown too big to continue to mock around with our black African neighbors, we're like a butterfly emerging from chrysalis but reluctant to soar high. If you don't fly away something will come along and eat you.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by teskyg: 8:25pm On May 18, 2012
Fashola,pls pay Doctors first before talking of State Police.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Obiagu1(m): 8:31pm On May 18, 2012

Having state police does not mean we won't have a federal police as well. Anyway, I believe that policing should be in the hands of local governments and communities as well as the federal government. States should not have police.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by grafikii: 9:28pm On May 18, 2012
what is my business with political tool, all i want is security for my family and the present police system is no giving me that.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by ezurus: 9:29pm On May 18, 2012
This is another means of asking strengers to pay heavily or they go, state police will not be of any help in this country. We are not in love so its only in a Country with one group that can manage state police. pls lets talk of something more important than this issue.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On May 18, 2012
Abeg make we hear word o'jare!!! Wetin be state police in the current environment?? NEVER!

lol . . . on a serious note . . . I suspect will get PAY-PER-SERVICE Police force is this request is granted during this man's administration. . . . ROFLAMO!! grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. / Meet Dr Eni Njoku Jnr, Son Of The First VC Of Unilag Who Works For NASA / Assemblies Of God Church Was Not Attacked In Onitsha – Anambra Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.