Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions (1324 Views)

Federal Government Releases Funds For EFCC, ICPC To Try Ex-Governors / Borno Government Planned Destruction Of 20 Churches Causes Outrage / Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Ejine(m): 11:58pm On May 20, 2012
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by jmaine: 1:49am On May 21, 2012
The Borno State Government said on Saturday that it had released N100 million for the purchase of surplus onions produced by farmers in the state.

Alhaji Zanna Mustapha, the Deputy Governor of the state dropped the hint in Maiduguri, while inspecting some bags of onions, which had been purchased and kept at the government’s central stores.

Mustapha explained that the gesture was in fulfilment of the government’s promise to purchase the surplus onions to prevent further price depreciation. He said that the onions would be be re-bagged and transported to some parts of the country where there was high demand for the commodity. The deputy governor also said that part of the onions would be distributed to schools in the state for students feeding.

Also speaking, Malam Inuwa Kubo, the Commissioner of Education told the deputy governor that the onions were being handled properly to prevent rot. Kubo, who doubles as the chairman of the committee for the purchase of the onions, said that the committee had only purchased the commodity from farmers in Dikwa, Marte and Ngala, allin Borno.

“We are expecting produce from other farmers in a couple of days time. We have also hired about 10 persons to take care of the onions by sorting out bad ones from the rest to prevent contamination,” he said.

It will be recalled that Gov. Kashim Shettima last month approved the purchase of the surplus onions produced by the farmers after he visited some of the farms at Marte.

The price of an onion bag had fallen from about N2,000 to N600 due mainly to surplus production and absence of markets.(NAN)

borno-govt-releases-n100m-for-purchase-of-surplus-onions
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by ektbear: 2:00am On May 21, 2012
I don't see the problem with this. You don't want farmers to be ruined due to yearly variations.

By soaking up some of this excess production, you have less bankrupt farmers.

Though to be honest, not sure how far $600k will go.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by ektbear: 2:01am On May 21, 2012
If the price of onions fell from N2000 to N600 and at the beginning of the year you calculated that you needed to sell @ N1500 just to break even...N1800 to make enough profit to pay your bills and send your kids to school..

That is the type of thing that will ruin a man financially.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by ektbear: 2:04am On May 21, 2012
At times, I wonder if you all simply condemn a policy just because you don't like who is doing it.

It is much better to examine/evaluate an idea on its own merits rather than coming to conclusions purely because of who came up with the idea.

1 Like

Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by odumchi: 2:48am On May 21, 2012
ekt_bear: I don't see the problem with this. You don't want farmers to be ruined due to yearly variations.

By soaking up some of this excess production, you have less bankrupt farmers.

Though to be honest, not sure how far $600k will go.

This is true.

An agriculture subsidy is all that it is.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Nobody: 3:05am On May 21, 2012
It's actually a good policy if well implemented. The part of free distribution to schools is not a good idea as it can be easily corrupted.

The government should create a marketing board to buy, repackage and then sell to ready market in the south. They should not just give out 100million each year without something in returns. Government can also do business.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Kobojunkie: 3:44am On May 21, 2012
This is sort of like a form of subsidy program and helps farmers. I think this is a great idea. Helps the farmers too.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Obiagu1(m): 4:21am On May 21, 2012
So they have surplus in the North when the commodity is scarce and costly in the South
Where are the middlemen?

1 Like

Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Mynd44: 5:34am On May 21, 2012
Sounds like a good move
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Nobody: 5:35am On May 21, 2012
Onions are great!
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by ijigbamigb(m): 10:18am On May 21, 2012
This is one of the best Policies i have heard in my lifetime...from a Nigerian Governor...This policy is simply meant to patronize these farmers and encourage them toward further production inspite of the lack of available market for the sales of their produce...By my thoughts, I think the State Government should focus on carrying out a research of how their onions can be industrialized...(to form cubes or Powdered forms) just for the sake
of exportation...
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Ejine(m): 11:54am On May 21, 2012
ekt_bear: At times, I wonder if you all simply condemn a policy just because you don't like who is doing it.

It is much better to examine/evaluate an idea on its own merits rather than coming to conclusions purely because of who came up with the idea.

See me see wahala o Bros, are you okay? Who said anything about condemning the policy? I posted the link because, in contrast to the nonsense we've been reading from the North (what with the government-aided marriages and all), this is a decent and relatively thoughtful development, hence my opening post for that matter. Which one come be "condemn a policy" again?
And the fact that it's coming from the 'unlikeliest' of places is why I consider it news-worthy.
For your info, America used to subsidize her agricultural sector too (not sure if they still do, though), so why should this be condemned?
This, along with the 'Kaduna Millenium City' should be enough to show they're atleast not all that bad, and their fellow governors should also brainstorm on ways to develop or buoy their economy instead of going on and on about offshore oil.

Speaking of which, I wonder how far they've gone with the millenium city.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by jmaine: 11:59am On May 21, 2012
^
Easy bro . .Ekt_bear prolly misread your intent wink . . .let's pipe low grin
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Kobojunkie: 12:01pm On May 21, 2012
ijigbamigb: This is one of the best Policies i have heard in my lifetime...from a Nigerian Governor...This policy is simply meant to patronize these farmers and encourage them toward further production inspite of the lack of available market for the sales of their produce...By my thoughts, I think the State Government should focus on carrying out a research of how their onions can be industrialized...(to form cubes or Powdered forms) just for the sake
of exportation...

lol . . . research to get onions into cubes??

Maybe the government can look to attracting middle men by offering them excess stock at lower prices, with condition that they can only be resold at some set price. That way, the Government takes lower loss. This could in the future lead to reduction in food prices overall, and encourage farmers to continue the excess.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Ejine(m): 12:02pm On May 21, 2012
jmaine: ^
Easy bro . .Ekt_bear prolly misread your intent wink . . .let's pipe low grin

Yeah, I guess you're right. Such titles can be easily misconstrued smiley
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by hakanai(m): 4:46pm On May 21, 2012
short term solution but i say they process this food surplus and package them.Call the Chinese and you can get cheap machinery to dry and process this items instantly.For the Long term i suggest building of processing plants and packaging plants.Also i suppose we send them to chad and Niger if its not needed in Nigeria.Atleast they could use extra food for oil. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by joeyfire(m): 7:09pm On May 21, 2012
That's what I'm talking about. This is how you drive development with public funds
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by Bontee: 7:48pm On May 21, 2012
haka_nai: short term solution but i say they process this food surplus and package them.Call the Chinese and you can get cheap machinery to dry and process this items instantly.For the Long term i suggest building of processing plants and packaging plants.Also i suppose we send them to chad and Niger if its not needed in Nigeria.Atleast they could use extra food for oil. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Thank you, our lack of processing industry is affecting our agriculture sector and they can actually market these product to other places in need of it.
Re: Borno Government Releases 100 Million Naira For Purchase Of Onions by ektbear: 12:08am On May 22, 2012
Ejiné:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Such titles can be easily misconstrued smiley

My bad. I thought you were being sarcastic.

(1) (Reply)

Constitutional Review Committee Advocates Autonomous Lg's, Dropping Land Use Act / Femi Falana On 5000 Naira Note / Even If He Wanted To How Could Awolowo Have Seceded With The West In 1967

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.