Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government (13639 Views)

Boko Haram Demands '$50M Ransom' For Release Of Kidnapped Chibok Schoolgirls / Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal / Senate Inflates Remodelling Projects Debts By N26bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by OmoEziokwu: 6:03am On Feb 02, 2013
THE SUN: The Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad, popularly called Boko Haram, has asked the federal and Borno State governments to compensate its leadership, members and families of its dead members, as a major condition to sustain the one-week-old ceasefire it announced last Monday. Saturday Sun gathered exclusively that the sect’s demand for monetary compensation, which will cost both the federal and Borno State governments nothing less than N26 billion has already been accepted by the Borno State government, which has been the worst hit by the activities of the sect.

The amount, it was gathered, could be more or less depending on the total number of the sect members that have been killed by the security agencies. According to a highly placed source, “the money being demanded by the sect leaders, they claim they will use it to compensate themselves, their members for all their losses, especially their houses, cars and businesses that have been destroyed by government.

They also said they need the money to take care of the families of their members that had been killed by soldiers. So, the figure for now can’t be less that N26 billion, but could be far more depending on the number of the sect members the government agreed its security agencies had killed so far. The figure can only be less if some government brings in some negotiation tricks.”

A top security source, who has the details of the meetings between Boko Haram representatives and the Borno State government officials, also told Saturday Sun that the same demand had earlier been made by the sect about six months ago but was not well treated by the Federal Government. According to the source, “the latest ceasefire by the sect is hinged on the same demand that had been made about six months ago when the people in Abuja, led by the new NSA, I mean Dasuki, went into peace talks with the sect leaders.

I think the peace process crashed then because the Federal Government was not ready to commit a kobo on the sect members, like it did and still doing for militants in the Niger Delta region. “So, the sect resumed hostilities, which got worse; but in the present case, the Borno government has offered to pay the sect part of the money, encourage other states, like Yobe and the Federal Government to contribute the rest. This is though not the only demand, but the decision of the Borno government to agree to the deal has led to the ceasefire, which came after over four weeks of secret talks with trusted aides of the governor.”

The discussion between the Borno State government and the sect was first made public last Monday by a top leader of the sect, Muhammed Abdulazeez Ibn Idris, who said his group will maintain his own side of the pact to halt all suicide attacks and await the government to fulfill its own side of the pact. The sect had declared, in its ceasefire proposal announced on Monday: “I, Sheikh Muhammed Abdulazeez Ibn Idris, the 2nd Commander in charge of southern and northern Borno after Imam Abubakar Shekau of Jamaatul Ahjlil Sunna lidawati wal Jihad otherwise known as Boko Haram. For sometime now, we the members of Jamaatul ahlil sunna lidawati wal jihad, otherwise known as Boko Haram have recently had a meeting and dialogue with the government of Borno State, where we resolved that giving the prevailing situation, there is the need for us to cease fire.

We, on our own, in the top hierarchy of our movement under the leadership of Imam Abubakar Shekau, as well as some of our notable followers, agreed that our brethren in Islam, both women and children are suffering unnecessarily; hence we resolved that we should bring this crisis to an end. We, therefore, called on all those that identify themselves with us and our cause, to from today lay down their arms. Let every member who hears this announcement relay it to the next member who hasn’t heard. “We have met with the Borno State government on two occasions and the fallout of the meeting is to cease fire. Presently, we are going to comply with the ceasefire order and by the time we are done with that, government security agencies can go ahead to arrest whoever they find carrying arms or killing under our names.

We are very much aware of the fact that some criminals have infiltrated our movement and continued attacking and killing people using our names. “We have also told the government to try to live up to our demands that our members in detention should be released. We hope the government will not betray us this time round, because we all know that it was because of the continued detention of our members that this crisis continued for this long. And if government fails to do as it now promised, then this conflict will never have an end.

“Of course, there is a faction within us, but the larger faction of our movement is the one in support of this ceasefire move. Moreover, once top members of our group including Imam Abubakar Shekau are in support of the need for a ceasefire, other smaller factions can be dealt with easily.” Though the sect, in the ceasefire announcement, stated that it had made some demands, which include the release of its members from various security detention centres in parts of the country, it however, kept silent on its demand for monetary compensation.

Another source very close to the Borno State governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, who also confirmed the deal between the state government and the sect, told Saturday Sun: “The governor has to respond to the sect’s demand because the Federal Government seems not sincere or concerned about the security problem the people of the state are facing and has, as a result, bungled previous chances to make peace with the sect, but as the government on ground, which is feeling the heat of the sect activities, he (the governor) has to do something to help himself and his people and that is why we are where we are at this point.”

When asked how much the state government has accepted to pay the sect, the source stated: “I think some money would have been paid but that is still far from the reality because other states with the same problem will need to do something while the bulk of the process rests with the Federal Government.” The source, however, declined to mention a specific amount of what was demanded and how much must have been paid by the state government, giving security concern as an excuse. Another top presidential aide in Abuja also told Saturday Sun: “The issue of Boko Haram and the Borno State government negotiation is already before Mr. President.

So, only him or the NSA, Sambo Dasuki, who has been on top of the issue before now, can talk on record on it because of the sensitive nature of it and the security implication of whatever one says now.” The Special Adviser to the Borno State Governor on Communications, Isa Gusau, when contacted earlier in the week, had said he could not comment on what transpired between the state government and the sect. He, however, added that the state governor has always believed in dialogue as the better solution to the lingering crisis.

“I am not competent to speak on national security issues. We have a security council in Borno State. I am not a member of that council and of course, you know as much you will also agree with me that no governor will speak on such critical security issues. But I know since Gov Kashim Shettima became a governor-elect, he was the first to speak on the need for dialogue as the best way out. Governor Shettima has been very firm and consistent in his belief, as he has regularly advocated, that unless we want to engage in an endless war, the best way out of the crisis is dialogue towards a peaceful resolution and anytime someone is killed, be it a civilian, a security personnel or any member of the sect, the governor is usually and deeply pained, he hates to hear that someone loses his or her life, no matter who that person is.

He believes that the life of every Nigerian is worth preserving. It is the hope and prayers of Governor Shettima that not just peace but indeed, sustainable peace, is reclaimed in Borno and the rest of Nigeria in the quickest time because he knows like he says, that no society can thrive without peace,” Gusau had stated.

SOURCE: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/the-ceasefire-deal%E2%80%A2boko-haram-demands-n26bn-from-fg-borno-govt/
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by 234GT(m): 6:12am On Feb 02, 2013
The police pension thief stole 27 billion. FG should just collect the money from the thief and give 26 billion to BH. If the stolen 27 billion goes back to FG, it will end up being stolen again. The only issue is that if BH gets the demand, another militant group would spring up and demand for 50 billion after wasting innocent lives.

8 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Akshow: 6:24am On Feb 02, 2013
Since the government has thus far been unable to solve the evil act of this extremists, negotiation in my opinion is the best option. A govt that has failed to protect the life of Its citizen but can squander money on unnecessary projects should not hesitate to say this evil people since they cant guarantee life and property of their citizen

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Dreal1247: 6:51am On Feb 02, 2013
Ar u sure dey ar not sourcing 4 money 2 acquire more weapons. Even if d federal govt is going 2 agree 2 dis terms, atrusted group of people should manage it 4 dem. And d money shouldnt b given 2dem @ 1ce, but in bits .

5 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Nobody: 7:03am On Feb 02, 2013
Obviously, they are looking for re-enforcement funds, they have been hit hard in Mali ΑϞ∂ they were surprisingly dealt a blow yesterday. Grant them amnesty on the wake of their surrender of arms ΑϞ∂ ammunitions, that should be it instead of granting their demands.

7 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Tolexander: 7:18am On Feb 02, 2013
Imagine those bastards requesting for the cash to take care of their wounded mates, compensate the family of the deceased members.
What about the lives they have wasted? what about the properties they've destroyed? Who is to compensate the families of those people and renovate the properties?
Moreover who did they dialogue with, who will they disburse the amnesty to? And they claim they don't recognise the people behind Boko Haram. Who is deceiving who?

34 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Willy7(m): 7:19am On Feb 02, 2013
Bunch of idiotas.So who will compensate or pay the families they have killed and has been killing since their onslaught of cowardice?Anyway only in Naija.They re just trying to buy time to re-strategise.The heat is too much on them.Cowards

6 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 02, 2013
err, before they start compensating them,federal government should make sure they compensate every family that have been victims of boko haram insurgents.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by gbadexy(m): 7:39am On Feb 02, 2013
I would rather want the group be given amnesty than monetary compensation so that they won't use the money recruit more members and fund their activities.
The amnesty could also encourage other groups to come public although while the idea of negotiation after so many destruction is unpalatable, its still much better than having innocent people killed.
Besides the money requested is just a fraction of money budgeted for defense and engaging them in a meaningful peace program would save much more.
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by ozodimgba(m): 7:49am On Feb 02, 2013
How can this country alwayz compensate criminals, who will compensate innocent Nigerians. Churches and other social institutions affected by the activities of this sect? Nigeria government or any state that gives any amount in the form of compensation to this sect will be held responsible for any further attack on Nigerians. Be weary of the signal u are sending to the masses. Any compensation to these sect without compensating other nigerians affected by the activities of this sect is tantamount to encouraging the breakdown of law and order, which i know other groups in the country wiil uphold without qualms. Very soon we hear nigerian federal governmernment wants to dialogue with the sect in Mali. It is a shame this shows how incapacitcted nigerian goernment is in its enforcement and maintenence of national secueity. How can a sane government compensate group of criminals whose aim is not known?

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Lawconfessor(f): 7:49am On Feb 02, 2013
emmysenior: Obviously, they are looking for re-enforcement funds, they have been hit hard in Mali

Dreal1247: Ar u sure dey ar not sourcing 4 money 2 acquire more weapons.

My thoughts exactly.

Dey re looking for deir said compensation, wot of d families dey sent deir members to early grave?

I just pray d govt wil nt heed to woteva gibberish dey re saying.

And i am quite sure dt dey'll nt keep deir end of d bargain, dey shud nt be trusted.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 02, 2013
How much will be paid to those who they murdered? Or will they share the 26billion with them?

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by omicron(m): 8:29am On Feb 02, 2013
It's a pity. I think the Nigerian goverment is running a kind of promo with the national wealth: Bomb Nigerian churches and kill thousands of citizens and get 26billion naira cash! Steal 27billion naira and pay 750k back! Proudly supported by The federal govt, borno state goverment, efcc, the judiciary!! Offer valid why stock lasts! Smh

11 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by theripper2: 9:01am On Feb 02, 2013
Useless abokis, go and collect from Babangida and Buhari.

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by slimming: 9:05am On Feb 02, 2013
God cannot be a lier in avenging for is people.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by NaLaugh: 9:19am On Feb 02, 2013
Dem don smoke betta somtn.
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Gabrielsylar(m): 9:20am On Feb 02, 2013
A terrorist is a terrorist...very soon if FG should pay, the igbos will start their own eze haram or chineke haram ...oooo now dat its an issue of money....

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by cytellProperty: 9:22am On Feb 02, 2013
Then how much should the children, fathers, mothers and parents of the people they killed be paid?
Those they have turned widows and widowers overnight.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by sixtusjr(m): 9:24am On Feb 02, 2013
Hope d wouldn't use d money to buy more bombs, I guess d re running out cash. FG should watch those guyz closely.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by alaoeri: 9:25am On Feb 02, 2013
Laughing in swahili 26 billion ko 26billion ni.
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by sixtusjr(m): 9:25am On Feb 02, 2013
J12: How much will be paid to those who they murdered? Or will they share the 26billion with them?
Abi ooooo.
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by slimghost(m): 9:26am On Feb 02, 2013
Noooo, we don't want a ceasefire, let the bombing continue as long as they don't bring it down south! pikin wey say him mama no go sleep,him sef no go sleep! Buncha idiiots

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by georjay(m): 9:26am On Feb 02, 2013
26billion naira!!!!! For what...after killing thousands of innocent citizens...dese islamist sect must be under som influence of skunk...dis is crazy..ar dey high...all dis people sef...with an IMAM as dia leader..i wonder what islam meant by religion of peace..cuz humm i rest my case....well 2 bokoharam nd dia followers..make una knw say GOD DEY ooo:::

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 02, 2013
Willy7: Bunch of idiotas.So who will compensate or pay the families they have killed and has been killing since their onslaught of cowardice?Anyway only in Naija.They re just trying to buy time to re-strategise.The heat is too much on them.Cowards
thank you man.
Why did they stop at 26bn,they should have demanded for 2013 budget.

This group has been disorganized,it seems their funding has depleted too. They just losing that's the basic truth.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by omiobo: 9:31am On Feb 02, 2013
Dem don broke
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by ignis: 9:32am On Feb 02, 2013
Give this islamic terrorists money, they will use it to get more ammunitions and explosives.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Nobody: 9:33am On Feb 02, 2013
omicron: It's a pity. I think the Nigerian goverment is running a kind of promo with the national wealth: Bomb Nigerian churches and kill thousands of citizens and get 26billion naira cash! Steal 27billion naira and pay 750k back! Proudly supported by The federal govt, borno state goverment, efcc, the judiciary!! Offer valid why stock lasts! Smh
hahahaha...is the promo still on grin
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by jacob05(m): 9:33am On Feb 02, 2013
fools
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 02, 2013
Who will compensate the innocent lives they wasted all these years ? Nobody but God.God is indeed the greatest comforter.
Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by sundaybam(m): 9:36am On Feb 02, 2013
If that money is paid to them. Then FG is improving crime because another sect will arise in the nearest future and after killing innocent citizen they will ask for another ranson maybe 60b to stop their act. You see that idi ot is making reference to niger delta militant.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by Profidada: 9:36am On Feb 02, 2013
Federal govt should not be fooled by the socio-religious antics of bk. They have been hit in the neck and are actually buying time to regroup. What the federal govt should do is to finish the job. They should learn from the algerian govt, no negotiation with terrorists, it will only take time but it will definitely payoff.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government by talktimi(m): 9:39am On Feb 02, 2013
What is the N23 billion for ? Is it

- To buy more weapons and recruit more idiots to die like fowl ?
- To fund and extend their operations outside of the north east, possibly down south ?

N26 billion is a really large sum of money, there's already a break away group that's proving to be more deadly than the BH, what if they decide to ask for their own 26 billion or more ?
I disagree with people who say the FG isn't doing anything to curb the insurgency, my cousin is a soldier in Borno state involved in the JTF there and believe me the soldiers and other security operatives are really giving these faceless thugs a hell of a fight.
Besides has anyone asked the BH who will compensate the family members of those they killed ? I still maintain that the names of their sponsors be published let Nigerians judge whether to forgive them or not.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From Southern Governors' Wives Forum / When Senate Seat Turns A Retirement Home Of Ex-governors / Only Sanwo-Olu Cleared To Contest In Lagos – APC Electoral Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.