Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,497 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Good Times Are Here: New Police minimum Wage Now N50,000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Good Times Are Here: New Police minimum Wage Now N50,000 (1005 Views)

Kerosene Is Now N50 / Litre (picture) / Lagos, 20 Other States Get New Police Commissioners / Behold, Nigeria's New Police Uniform - See Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Times Are Here: New Police minimum Wage Now N50,000 by billante(m): 10:38pm On May 22, 2012
http://ynaija.com/2012/05/22/good-times-are-here-new-police-minimum-wage-now-n50000/

Police officers would soon be smiling big time; who knows, the police might finally become our friend.

That’s because Acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr Mohammed Abubakar has made an announcement which so many would be pleased to hear.

Speaking in Alausa, Ikeja, when he visited Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola, he said henceforth, policemen would receive a minimum wage of N50,000, “unless there is a change of plan.”

He also placed Assistant Inspectors-General of Police (AIGs) and Commissioners of Police on notice that they would henceforth be held responsible for any human rights violation in their domains.

Not done yet, IGP Abubakar went further to warn policemen that “the era of policemen checking vehicle particulars is over. Policemen driving against traffic [should] face the law of the land.” Using populist rhetoric is certain to endear him to Nigerians, the police chief said citizens must be respected at all times and not intimidated by policemen.

The highpoint of his presentation was the announcement of measures taken to improve the welfare of officers. Apart from the N50,000 monthly wage to be earned by a constable, he also assured that a low-cost housing scheme was being worked out for policemen in Kaduna and Port Harcourt since “that is where we have enough land.”

Policemen are now expected to work hard to remain officers. “The era of policemen who cannot read or write is over. If they send you on a course and you fail an examination for three times, you will be sent out of the job. Our vision is to build a well motivated police force,” he said.
Re: Good Times Are Here: New Police minimum Wage Now N50,000 by Kobojunkie: 4:14am On May 23, 2012
Better wages is good news. But ain't it time we do away with the low-cost housing just for police? The police need to live among the people. They need to experience life as the people experience it. Maybe an extra Naira 10,000 a month for housing allowance will work.
Re: Good Times Are Here: New Police minimum Wage Now N50,000 by velo10: 5:23am On May 23, 2012
Kobojunkie: Better wages is good news. But ain't it time we do away with the low-cost housing just for police? The police need to live among the people. They need to experience life as the people experience it. Maybe an extra Naira 10,000 a month for housing allowance will work.

I agree. But will this stop the power-lusted police from going above their bounds or the corrupt ones from being corrupt. This is a good development but in the present Nigerian system, I'm not assured of much change
Re: Good Times Are Here: New Police minimum Wage Now N50,000 by billante(m): 9:57am On May 23, 2012
Kobojunkie: Better wages is good news. But ain't it time we do away with the low-cost housing just for police? The police need to live among the people. They need to experience life as the people experience it. Maybe an extra Naira 10,000 a month for housing allowance will work.

Do they actually have police quarters? Most policemen I know leave within neigbourhood
Re: Good Times Are Here: New Police minimum Wage Now N50,000 by Nobody: 10:46am On May 23, 2012
This is a good start.

Next, we need to restore some dignity to the police force by tearing down and then rebuilding those uninhabitable buildings that pass for accommodation.

If what I read a few days ago concerning the proposals for a dedicated police university holds truth, I'd say our IGP is headed in the right direction.

(1) (Reply)

See This Lovely Family Destroyed. Just Like That! #danacrash / I Found A Mimiko Wonder I Could Touch And Feel-punch / Lagos Is Working, Isn't It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.