Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound (8889 Views)

APC Blast PDP:'A Party That Can't Even Spell Its Name Wants 2 Save Nigeria'(pics / Amaechi’s Deputy Defects To PDP, Says “APC Is A Party Of Rebels, Founded On.." / South-African Girls Arrested For Having Nigerian Friends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 8:10am On May 24, 2012
What sort of a country is this Let me give u my own little experience.On the 5th of May,a Saturday I had a birthday party for my 1year old son in our compund,I didnt block the road o.Just a few canopies and chairs in my compound.Infact the rain didnt allow us have the party in the compound so we had to move the venue to my sitting room only for some silly miscreants to come drop a notice asking me to go and pay one Meriment and Celebration fee of N5000 (five thousand Naira) to Agege LGA.The jobless people even left their phone numbers on the notice asking me to call them.Infact I ignored the letter only for me to get home yesterday and be handed over another one by my wife.She said it was pasted on our gate,she didnt see anyone.Infact I am so furious right now.Anyone conversant with the laws?Is it legal? because I don't collect or do bribes.I need legal advice here.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Onlytruth(m): 8:18am On May 24, 2012
Where do you live in Lagos? How isolated is your house? Do you own the house?
You need to be clearer about your case.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Nobody: 8:25am On May 24, 2012
welcome to Nigeria, the land of the suffering and smiling.Anyway, its the local govt source of revenue (talk of double taxation,thats another issue).
I have a demand notice on my table as i write this ,its from the Rivers state ministry of health. they need to test the water from our borehole to see if its clean enough for drinking.
the fee is 30k (a borehole we dug by ourselve without govt help or assistance ) and its non negotiable except you are paying cash grin grin
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by ijigbamigb(m): 8:25am On May 24, 2012
Brother...I urge you to first contact your lawyer. Inform him of this illegal act. From my understanding, the notice is not meant for you, though may be meant for those street-blocking/closing parties, and not one that took place within you fenced compound...So if we gather to drink and jolly in your compound we are to pay 5grand iight?...That na lie...

Also, try to get to the closest Police Station, report to them though the may not show concern until you ROGER SOMETHING SOMETHING...(You will need police support when dealing with Lagos LGA thugs cus they can do and undo)
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Nobody: 8:53am On May 24, 2012
meriment and celebration fee, in your compound? then everybody suld be payng that every xmass and sallah celebrations!
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by nduchucks: 9:39am On May 24, 2012
@OP, go and pay these officials the N5,000. You will spend much more than that and suffer in many other ways, otherwise. If you can find a lawyer relative of yours who can represent you for free, then pursue the case but note that you will be blacklisted by your LGA - trust me, you don't need the headache.

Yoruba people talks say, eni ale mu ni an le idi mo (na woman wey weak, corrupt boy dey take prick rob her yansh inside packed bus - mean woman go slap am smiley ) N5,000 no reach money wey you fit blow at a sitting for bukka.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 10:15am On May 24, 2012
Onlytruth: Where do you live in Lagos? How isolated is your house? Do you own the house?
You need to be clearer about your case.
What sort of a country is thishuh Let me give u my own little experience.On the 5th of May,a Saturday I had a birthday party for my 1year old son in our compund,I didnt block the road o.Just a few canopies and chairs in my compound.Infact the rain didnt allow us have the party in the compound so we had to move the venue to my sitting room only for some silly miscreants to come drop a notice asking me to go and pay one Meriment and Celebration fee of N5000 (five thousand Naira) to Agege LGA.The jobless people even left their phone numbers on the notice asking me to call them.Infact I ignored the letter only for me to get home yesterday and be handed over another one by my wife.She said it was pasted on our gate,she didnt see anyone.Infact I am so furious right now.Anyone conversant with the laws?Is it legal? because I don't collect or do bribes.I need legal advice here.
OKO-OBA.My house is on a street.I need a lawyer right now.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 10:18am On May 24, 2012
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 10:18am On May 24, 2012
“During our routing (sic) check, our record showed that you did not obtained (sic) merriment/entertainment permit, in respect of the celebration Which (sic) took place at the above address on Saturday 21st Jan. 2012. Your action is contrary to the Agege Local Government Bye law no 3 Decree No.7 (DECREE in a Democracy?) of 1997 and it is punishable under the section (cool of the merriment and entertainment permit by-law of the said Decree.”

Culled from :http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/starters/32890-in-agege-lagos-merriment-can-land-you-in-trouble
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Nobody: 10:23am On May 24, 2012
^^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Beaf1: 10:33am On May 24, 2012
DECREE indeed!
They are fraudsters. But seriously this is Nigeria i advice you just pay and forget. What if they decide to come in the night with guns to demand the N5000 + 000 (5000000)? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 10:39am On May 24, 2012
But honestly what is the proper thing to do in this situation?
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Beaf1: 10:47am On May 24, 2012
^^
Is to pay and smile. Welcome to Naija.
Go to the LGA and flash a one thousand naira note to them I bet you they will collect and call you Oga. Just be sure to collect a receipt cheesy This is naija.

Fresh Air!
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Nobody: 10:54am On May 24, 2012
^^^ just like that?

in our own case, we requested for account number and insisted on paying into the govt account directly. the cheque is still with us as the account number given is that of ministry of environment and not health grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 11:09am On May 24, 2012
aguiyi: ^^^ just like that?

in our own case, we requested for account number and insisted on paying into the govt account directly. the cheque is still with us as the account number given is that of ministry of environment and not health grin grin grin grin grin

Wow that's a nice one.But which local government is that?
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Nobody: 11:17am On May 24, 2012
Wonderful shocked
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Nobody: 11:22am On May 24, 2012
aguiyi: welcome to Nigeria, the land of the suffering and smiling.Anyway, its the local govt source of revenue (talk of double taxation,thats another issue).
I have a demand notice on my table as i write this ,its from the Rivers state ministry of health. they need to test the water from our borehole to see if its clean enough for drinking.
the fee is 30k (a borehole we dug by ourselve without govt help or assistance ) and its non negotiable except you are paying cash grin grin
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by megxo(m): 11:25am On May 24, 2012
hahahahaha......... no christmas celebration n sallah bedat na.............
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Dimkyky: 11:27am On May 24, 2012
cool
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by damola1: 11:32am On May 24, 2012
Don't respond, they'll get tired.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by sylve11: 11:33am On May 24, 2012
Beaf!:
DECREE indeed!
They are fraudsters. But seriously this is Nigeria i advice you just pay and forget. What if they decide to come in the night with guns to demand the N5000 + 000 (5000000)? cheesy

lol, oga just go and pay and forget. the best thing to do is to use a lawyer but those boys ain't smiling as highlighted by the above quote. grin cool
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by blank(f): 11:39am On May 24, 2012
aguiyi: welcome to Nigeria, the land of the suffering and smiling.Anyway, its the local govt source of revenue (talk of double taxation,thats another issue).

If you don't pay, what is the worst they will do? Come and block your borehole?
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 11:40am On May 24, 2012
sylve11:

lol, oga just go and pay and forget. the best thing to do is to use a lawyer but those boys ain't smiling as highlighted by the above quote. grin cool
That's the issue,no account number.It's more like extortion.the only numbers they left are their cell phone numbers.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Bastiger(m): 11:47am On May 24, 2012
Hahahahaha chineke meeee!!! Merriment and celebration fee!!!!....hahahaha why hasn't T A Orji and his tax inventors in Abia state heard of this? Way to go boys.. Keep it up.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by omodapson(m): 11:49am On May 24, 2012

ROTLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by SpiritofOkija(m): 11:53am On May 24, 2012
MODS!!

I demand to know why my post was deleted.. It was not offensive at all and I didnt mention Yoruba or the O-word!!
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by PrinceDudu(m): 11:58am On May 24, 2012
Kakatazz: What sort of a country is this Let me give u my own little experience.On the 5th of May,a Saturday I had a birthday party for my 1year old son in our compund,I didnt block the road o.Just a few canopies and chairs in my compound.Infact the rain didnt allow us have the party in the compound so we had to move the venue to my sitting room only for some silly miscreants to come drop a notice asking me to go and pay one Meriment and Celebration fee of N5000 (five thousand Naira) to Agege LGA.The jobless people even left their phone numbers on the notice asking me to call them.Infact I ignored the letter only for me to get home yesterday and be handed over another one by my wife.She said it was pasted on our gate,she didnt see anyone.Infact I am so furious right now.Anyone conversant with the laws?Is it legal? because I don't collect or do bribes.I need legal advice here.

bros, abeg just go pay and forget about the wahala wey u go do trying to win the case. u even get luck say u no dey live for area where dem dey collect TV, Radio and fridge fee.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Emperoh(m): 12:00pm On May 24, 2012
I am wondering at what kind of 'learned' people we have here?
So because they will come and 'harass' you that is why you will give some miscreants money for a private activity?
Chai! I shake my head in amazement!

For me oh, i no go pay, when the note droppers decide to face me, we sort it out.
If them want katakata, we go do am our way. I do rather call police and spend more than that 5k and put the boys in their stead
than give them the money. Next time, if i block street, dem go think 4 times before them venture near my gate.

Guy, if i be you, i go go notify Olokpa. If necessary, settle them and then wait for the guys to show up.
But if in the end, it is proven that this is legal, kindly go and pay into LG account.
If you have the might, u can fight with any NGO to have that law repealed.

My own contribution!
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by blank(f): 12:09pm On May 24, 2012
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is a legal fee by the LGA.

1 Like

Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by ubazuo: 12:13pm On May 24, 2012
Kakatazz, u get sense at all? Na ur kind na e dey spoil we country. "pay them" u said? U nor get sense o! 4 real, u nor get sense. Instead I go pay that shit, I go spend 1million contest am for court. Useless ppl! 4 Warri here, evn if na say u dey pack enter new apartment, community go com demand money. Any activity wey u dey do,u must pay moni. But we all need to resist all this bullshit na!
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by ubazuo: 12:18pm On May 24, 2012
Even if na legal thing,i go carry LGA go court. Only say our legislature na d bedrock of corruption first. Shebi na we been acquit the thief wey them sentence to 13yrs 4 yonder? Yeye country. Na so them tel me 4 Warri say mk i follow them buy "litering fee sticker" for my company's hilux,like say we dey use am carry dirty.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is This The Man That Will Rule Us For The Next 4yrs (picture) / Explain Whereabouts Of $1bn ECA Security Fund, PDP Urges Buhari / Missing People From The Lekki Massacre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.