Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35616 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:35pm On May 26, 2012
@ alj harem, if we all agree that the Edo monarchy is from Yoruba, rather than Egypt, Sudan, or Mecca, how does that relate to the threadstarter's topic? Any Yoruba ancestry would be from nearly 1000 or more years back and would not be particularly relevant to the ethnic makeup of the group.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by emofine2(f): 4:36pm On May 26, 2012
Ejiné: Why do you Nairalanders always have this innate urge to annex other people's ethnic groups just because they're not as 'populous' as you are?

I hope, for your sake, this isn't how you all reason in reality. Because if it is, then that is one seriously dangerous way of life undecided

Exactly, it's as if they view the smaller ones as jara (smh).
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by polokor60(m): 4:41pm On May 26, 2012
PapaBrowne: How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a goods thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.
Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Floklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.
bros abeg tell dem ooooo.well said(written) cool

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by MacLovington(m): 4:43pm On May 26, 2012
Alj Harem & Co,

I think PhysicsQED and others thoroughly exhausted this topic sometime ago.

Even though I am a yoruboid Edo, one cannot claim that Edos are Yoruba people.

Considering their proximity to each other geographically, no doubt there was migration and mixing between both over millenia.

Even if we assume that Izoduwa/Ododuwa & Oranmiyan were pure Yoruba(which is most unlikely), the Benin royal family descending from a Yoruba dynasty does not make all Edos Yoruba.
The Swedish Royal Family is French but all Swedes are not French. The Windsors/Saxe Coburg Gotha are Germans but all Welsh/Irish/Scots(the English being mostly a mix of Angles/Jutes-Danes/German saxons/Normans) are not Germans. Examples abound.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by corinna: 4:48pm On May 26, 2012
The Edos are not yoruba. They never claimed to be and never will. Yes they have lots of similar vocabularies but in most cases, these vocabularies have different meanings. For those who believe that the edos originated from yoruba. They should go and read "The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano or Gustavus Vassa" the African, written by himself, ninth edition enlarged London 1794. Although wikipedea wrote he is Ibo. I find that false and of course not unsual knowng niherians like to rewrite history because if you´ve read the book and have an understanding of the ancient politcs you will realise that the people referred to are the Edos.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 4:48pm On May 26, 2012
PhysicsQED: @ alj harem, if we all agree that the Edo monarchy is from Yoruba, rather than Egypt, Sudan, or Mecca, how does that relate to the threadstarters topic? Any Yoruba ancestry would be from nearly 1000 or more years back and would not be particularly relevant to the ethnic makeup of the group.

PhysicsQED you of all people should know my position on this sort of topic

1. I don't believe that Yorubas or any group in Nigeria came from Egypt, Sudan etc It is really for those suffering from complex issues.

2. I did not want to post initially but was urged to when I read Papabrown's post that suggest that Bini account of history is for facts than fiction compare to the Ife account. That sir I do not subscribe to because Ogoso dynasty is exactly the same story as Oduduwa dynasty in terms of both of them falling from the sky. Also talking of Eweka etc

3. Yoruba ancestry is in prospective. When you talk of Yoruba ancestry do you mean Ife or what ?

4. Yorubas as you well know don't claim, please by all mean everyone can bear their ethnic make up, all I did was to call those trying to change history to order.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by akigbemaru: 4:49pm On May 26, 2012
MacLovington: Alj Harem & Co,

Considering their proximity to each other geographically, no doubt there was migration and mixing between both over millenia.

Even if we assume that Izoduwa/Ododuwa & Oranmiyan were pure Yoruba(which is most unlikely), the Benin royal family descending from a Yoruba dynasty does not make all Edos Yoruba.
The Swedish Royal Family is French but all Swedes are not French. The Windsors/Saxe Coburg Gotha are Germans but all Welsh/Irish/Scots(the English being mostly a mix of Angles/Jutes-Danes/German saxons/Normans) are not Germans. Examples abound.

It is true and well said. We cannot ignore the fact that Yoruba and Edo share the same lineage.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 4:50pm On May 26, 2012
MacLovington: Alj Harem & Co,

Well said, I share your sentiment as well.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 4:50pm On May 26, 2012
akigbemaru:

It is true and well said. We cannot ignore the fact that Yoruba and Edo share the same lineage.

That is my point !!!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Afam4eva(m): 4:50pm On May 26, 2012
This is one of those threads that make me wanna puke. I'm sure the OP is lmao right now after instigating a scenario for 1diots to showcase their latest collection of 1diocy. It's funny how the same people who castigate Igbos for trying to annex Ikwerre and Ika who are more than related to Igbos in almost every ramification see the need for Edos to see themselves as Yorubas even though they share nothing in common other than a shred of history.

5 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 26, 2012
afam4eva: This is one of those threads that make me wanna puke. I'm sure the OP is lmao right now after instigating a scenario for 1diots to showcase their latest collection of 1diocy. It's funny how the same people who castigate Igbos for trying to annex Ikwerre and Ika who are more than related to Igbos in almost every ramification see the need for Edos to see themselves as Yorubas even though they share nothing in common other than a shred of history.

What do you call a "shred of history"? Ignorance is bliss!

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 4:52pm On May 26, 2012
afam4eva: This is one of those threads that make me wanna puke. I'm sure the OP is lmao right now after instigating a scenario for 1diots to showcase their latest collection of 1diocy. It's funny how the same people who castigate Igbos for trying to annex Ikwerre and Ika who are more than related to Igbos in almost every ramification see the need for Edos to see themselves as Yorubas even though they share nothing in common other than a shred of history.

Dude go rest jare, How can Ika be Igbo with there langauge, NAME, way of life etc is not Igbo

Even their history got nothing to do with Igbo

Stop this rubbish afam
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:53pm On May 26, 2012
@ alj harem, 'Erediauwa' is quite distinct from 'Oduduwa'. The Itsekiri version is Erejuwa by the way.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Lisa1: 4:54pm On May 26, 2012
Good luck![img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PeterKbaba: 4:54pm On May 26, 2012
YOU WONDER WHY YORUBAS ARE SO RESPECTED IN THE WORLD... YORUBA IS NOT A LANGUAGE, BUT A RELIGION, EVEN THE POPE AND ALL RELIGION LEADERS WERE SITED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYi7XcmzAUc&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oye-hUO5bNU&feature=related

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Lisa1: 4:54pm On May 26, 2012
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ceaser: 4:56pm On May 26, 2012
ayobase:

The question is not daft and not insulting.

What connection has Yoruba with
Nupe, unlike Yoruba and Edo?

Will you tell your child d same if
he/she asks d same question.

U wanna tell me u r not seeing the
similarities, if not d connection!
So you don't know that Yorubas and Nupes have some history together? Dude what were you taught in history? Hello, where is Sango "olukoso's" mother from and where was he given his dragon-like and Thor-like powers? Plus, there're fragments of Yoruba phrases that make up Nupe language. grin
ayobase:

The question is not daft and not insulting.

What connection has Yoruba with
Nupe, unlike Yoruba and Edo?

Will you tell your child d same if
he/she asks d same question.

U wanna tell me u r not seeing the
similarities, if not d connection!
So you don't know that Yorubas and Nupes have some history together? Dude what were you taught in history? Hello, where is Sango "olukoso's" mother from and where was he given his dragon-like and Thor-like powers? Plus, there're fragments of Yoruba phrases that make up Nupe language.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 4:56pm On May 26, 2012
I don't know of ikwerre but Anioma is made up of 13 ethnic nations of which 3 of them are not Igbos

they share No history, name, language, way of life, culture with Igbos yet some people are making comparisons here ??

Even names of gods are completly different

Bini can claim not to be Yorubas, it does not change the fact on ground.

All I am doing here is for people to not try and change history.

Edo and Yoruba share more than just names, in terms of gods, politics, food, words etc even to dynasty so with is the silly comparison here
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 4:57pm On May 26, 2012
PhysicsQED: @ alj harem, 'Erediauwa' is quite distinct from 'Oduduwa'. The Itsekiri version is Erejuwa by the way.

Thanks smiley
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:59pm On May 26, 2012
Alj harem, I never said that I necessarily believed/agreed exactly with Papabrowne's perspective or that of the author of the article he cited, but what I do know is that questions of monarchichal origin are quite separate from the question of the thread so perhaps I should have responded to both him and you.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem:

Dude go rest jare, How can Ika be Igbo with there langauge, NAME, way of life etc is not Igbo

Even their history got nothing to do with Igbo

Stop this rubbish afam
You see what I'm talking about. Yoiu think Ika has no links with Igbo but in your dirty mind Edo is Yoruba? O ma se. SMH
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On May 26, 2012
engineerd: .

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:05pm On May 26, 2012
PhysicsQED: Alj harem, I never said that I necessarily believed/agreed exactly with Papabrowne's perspective or that of the author of the article he cited, but what I do know is that questions of monarchichal origin are quite separate from the question of the thread so perhaps I should have responded to both him and you.

I suppose. The monarchical topic should indeed be a separate one. One of which I am very much interested in because there should be an explanation for the name Oba in the title of the King
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:05pm On May 26, 2012
Any Igbos who replies Alha harem is a nuthead! I have seen him trying to drag the Ikas Igbo into this senseless thread!! Please ignore him. Silence is golden.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:06pm On May 26, 2012
afam4eva:
You see what I'm talking about. Yoiu think Ika has no links with Igbo but in your dirty mind Edo is Yoruba? O ma se. SMH

Now tell me what Igbos hare with Ika ?

i ga agwa nwu m ?

I am waiting
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PeterKbaba: 5:07pm On May 26, 2012
ceaser: So you don't know that Yorubas and Nupes have some history together? Dude what were you taught in history? Hello, where is Sango "olukoso's" mother from and where was he given his dragon-like and Thor-like powers? Plus, there're fragments of Yoruba phrases that make up Nupe language. ;DSo you don't know that Yorubas and Nupes have some history together? Dude what were you taught in history? Hello, where is Sango "olukoso's" mother from and where was he given his dragon-like and Thor-like powers? Plus, there're fragments of Yoruba phrases that make up Nupe language.

YOU WONDER WHY YORUBAS ARE SO RESPECTED IN THE WORLD... YORUBA IS NOT A LANGUAGE, BUT A RELIGION, EVEN THE POPE AND ALL RELIGION LEADERS WERE SITED

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by corinna: 5:07pm On May 26, 2012
engineerd: Edos' are the beloved of the Yorubas, i grew up learning to see the Edos as people we share our cultural heritage with. You cannot separate Yorubas and Edos because we came from the same people. So yes Edo is Yoruba and Yoruba is Edo! You dig?

i dig your style joor. At least we are one Nigeria. But truth is not many people is as liberal to his neighbour as you are. I have met many nice yourubas as an Edo person who see me as family and are nice but I have also met one to many who are the most tribalistic person on earth. I have nigerian graduates of yoruba origin(on four different occaisions both in lagos and europe, i.e pple. in their 30s-40s) who ask me if Edo is part of Ibo or Urhobo or even Hausa. Although i don´t know their intentions for such questions but it gives me an impression of pure DULLNESS (pls. no insults meant) but how can a nigerian graduate ask such a silly question. No graduate from south south or east will be so naive.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PeterKbaba: 5:08pm On May 26, 2012
ak47mann: i know that EDO state is well influence by yoruba culture they believe more in yoruba than other mini tribes that live in Edo state like ishan etc i have seen were EDO man will look down on ishan man,edo people some of them swings b/w Yoruba and bini even politically Yoruba party ACN was massively voted by edo people cool cool

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by lekkie073(m): 5:09pm On May 26, 2012
PapaBrowne: How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a goods thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.

Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Floklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

yorubas did not say oduduwa fell from heaven, it was obatala dat fell down from heaven. are u sure u r a bini man? cos u sound too igboish
The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by lekkie073(m): 5:11pm On May 26, 2012
[quote author=lekkie073][/quote]
it was obatala dat was credited with falling from heaven and not oduduwa. r u sure u r a bini man cos u sound igboish

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:14pm On May 26, 2012
corinna:

i dig your style joor. At least we are one Nigeria. But truth is not many people is as liberal to his neighbour as you are. I have met many nice yourubas as an Edo person who see me as family and are nice but I have also met one to many who are the most tribalistic person on earth. I have nigerian graduates of yoruba origin(on four different occaisions both in lagos and europe, i.e pple. in their 30s-40s) who ask me if Edo is part of Ibo or Urhobo or even Hausa. Although i don´t know their intentions for such questions but it gives me an impression of pure DULLNESS (pls. no insults meant) but how can a nigerian graduate ask such a silly question. No graduate from south south or east will be so naive.
cool cool cool cool
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Donbrig: 5:19pm On May 26, 2012
The Edo people don't see themselves as yorubas, but the Edos are the closest to Yorubas in various ways. An Edo man will never betray a Yoruba man to another tribe. A very big part of Edo people's heart belong to the Yorubas. As an Edo man, I can sincerely confirm that the Edos love and cherish the Yoruba people so much, that is why whatever affects them affects us.. And once it comes to politics, both tribes always watch each others back.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi’s Pre-Coronation Photoshoot / Fulani Siddika Sanusi Rides On Horse To Her Husband's House In Style / The Future Of African Traditional Religion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.