Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,705 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35687 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by xJaysonx(m): 8:20pm On May 26, 2012
Nice thread. Am from Edo and have really learnt some history here. I recall my mum narrating how the yoruba's originated from the binis when i was little but its unfortunate that in school we are being taught the history the other way round that the binis originated from the yorubas in social studies. I strongly believe the yorubas came out from the binis. If we can bear most of their names and they cant bear one of ours then thats one piece of evidence.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:32pm On May 26, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

They dont have any form of writing and not even name of days: The only groups that had form of writings were Igbos(nsibidi) and hausa(songhay).

a) The Songhai are not and have never been Hausa.
b) Nsibidi was borrowed by Igbos from the Cross River/Akwa Ibom groups neighboring them, who used it perhaps as early as the 5th century AD. I won't bother to argue this point because it's known and there is no point in making this thread about Igbos.
c) The indigenous method of writing among the Edo was to use chalk (orhue) to make religious ideograms on the ground. Not advanced, sure, but more than can be said for a lot of groups. lol@ no days. Whatever. This thread isn't about other groups besides the ones mentioned in the title, so spare us the claiming.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by KDULAR: 8:34pm On May 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Look I'm not going to rehash this same argument with you again, but there are contemporary documents from centuries back and oral history and even some art that indicates very strongly that Benin at one time conquered Ijebu, but they were free of Benin's political hold by the mid 17th century. I gave you scholarly sources last time and you obviously looked at none of them. I'm not going to re-argue this since anyone who wants to can read about it from various non-Bini sources.

Conquered Ijebu, when and how ? when even the Yorubas in the history cannot claim that at any time conquered any part of Ijebuland. Whatever history you must have read, especially on Ijebuland , that mentioned anything of such has actually a big doubt I have written evidences in my family vault dating back to around 1899 two years after the whites conquered ijebuland. Anyway, the history of Benin and Yoruba is so interwoven that the question which will see itself as the other would be inappropriate due to ethnic pride and chauvinism. It is beeter asked as do Yorubas and Edos see themselves as brothers,close relatives or as kindred ? however, me I will definitely say the Edos do not see themselves as Yorubas and Need not do. the same way in about 7-8 generations to come, your offsprings will jot see much relationship with each other and might even intermarry, work against each other and or pitch their tents with other families.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 26, 2012
As a typical Edo woman, I am proud to say that Edo is really the heartbeat of Nigeria.
And I'm really not bothered if Edo is from Yoruba or Hausa. All I know is that Edo people are indeed beautiful.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:41pm On May 26, 2012
I don't think I should respond to this thread again because I don't think anything will be gained from it. I only came here to comment on what I see as some misconceptions, although others might disagree. Later.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ib0221: 8:44pm On May 26, 2012
how i wish i had time. hwver, d questions shd've bn responded to by original edos while yorubas shd only learn n other nations watching audience.
first, early edos n yorubas were separate entities at d beginning but dey had contact through a prince. d 1st person to claim dat yoruba prince was a furgitive edo prince is the present oba of benin in a book he wrote about 2 decades ago n oni of ife who happened to be at d launching told him dere dat he goofed n asked him to read books written by edo profs. tbc
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by MacLovington(m): 8:49pm On May 26, 2012
@physicsQED.

Save your breath. Don't bother trying to educate people that have been miseducated by Naija education system.

Overrated or not, seeing the prominence given to Benin Art & History in museums I have seen in London, Paris, Berlin and elsewhere, the Binis must have done a great job to have brainwashed the Europeans into doing so.
Prior to having internet access via mobile phone & google search, etc, many had no idea of history whatsoever.
You don't expect that people who argue here so blindly have ever picked a proper history and actually read it if not for NECO/WASCE.
If anything, the Binis don't emphasize their history enough.

People like Odenigbo and Shymex seem to focus on discrediting Benin history instead of educating us about their own "illistrious" history. A hint of envy there?

Muhehehehe

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PapaBrowne(m): 8:49pm On May 26, 2012
PhysicsQED: I don't think I should respond to this thread again because I don't think anything will be gained from it. I only came here to comment on what I see as some misconceptions, although others might disagree. Later.

Your comments are always very educative. Keep it up, even if just for posterity!! For decades these threads would still exist and many others would learn from your knowledge!

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by KDULAR: 8:55pm On May 26, 2012
Something struck me now. I grew up in Abeokuta and there were claims that the Egbas conqured the Ijebus. which I later realized that the Ijebus in the claims were actually the Remos ( west of Ijebuland) and they were only able to do so as far as somewhere close to Isara, and area which is not even up to 30% of Remoland ( this was done to ward off marauders from Remo who were disturbing trade through the Ajebo route and Owode axis at the periphery of Egbaland) and over 50kms away from the closest Ijebu settlement. Minding that untill recently, Remo people used to be called Ijebu-Remo untill they stared claiming their autonomy from Ijebus.
therefore looking at that would it not have been instructive to note that the same assumptions could have been made? Why is it that you may only sees strong similarities in some traditions only in the eastern Ondo state and not even in Ekiti state and none in Ijebuland , Egbaland and the rest of Yorubaland save Lagos? and the claim that Ijebus were conquered by Binis.
Do you know that msot Yorubas don't even knbow whAT GOES ON IJEBULAND until after the whites conqurerd it in 1897 ? The palace rule, organization and heirachical stuture of Ijebulaqnd is different from that of the restof Yorubas and it is a facyt that You don't pass though Ijebu lkand in the olden days without you showing an evidence of a toll fee ? Please when you wanna say somethings concerning some people, the authenticity of the text must be checked.
The most acclaimed book on Yoruba history and cultures written in the very early 1900s by the reverend the title of which I cannot remember now, does not even say much about the Ijebus but only stated that what he believes. So check the records well please but I must really commend you man!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ayobase(m): 8:56pm On May 26, 2012
ceaser: So you don't know that Yorubas and Nupes have some history together? Dude what were you taught in history? Hello, where is Sango "olukoso's" mother from and where was he given his dragon-like and Thor-like powers? Plus, there're fragments of Yoruba phrases that make up Nupe language. ;DSo you don't know that Yorubas and Nupes have some history together? Dude what were you taught in history? Hello, where is Sango "olukoso's" mother from and where was he given his dragon-like and Thor-like powers? Plus, there're fragments of Yoruba phrases that make up Nupe language.

''Dude'' cool down.
It hasnt gotten to this.

Try understand my question.

Which is more prevalent?

And thanks for d insight.
Let me go confirm if not
tales!

##modified##
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ib0221: 9:04pm On May 26, 2012
its on record dat oba of benin didnt respond to dat atleast openly because it's in d public domain. anybody can getfact from any dailies. as 4 for lagos, it is true dat lagos, ondo and part of benin republic was at a time under benin empire.you can notice dis till date in d obas insignia like sword in dose areas. infact d only pers dat was trying to back oba of benin den was oba of lagos.
i tin its true obas of benin were being buried in ife before dis was attested to by esama of benin around late 80s. tb

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:04pm On May 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

a) The Songhai are not and have never been Hausa.
b) Nsibidi was borrowed by Igbos from the Cross River/Akwa Ibom groups neighboring them, who used it perhaps as early as the 5th century AD. I won't bother to argue this point because it's known and there is no point in making this thread about Igbos.
c) The indigenous method of writing among the Edo was to use chalk (orhue) to make religious ideograms on the ground. Not advanced, sure, but more than can be said for a lot of groups. lol@ no days. Whatever. This thread isn't about other groups besides the ones mentioned in the title, so spare us the claiming.

Nsibidi wasnt borrowed rather it was shared with rivers groups and later was refined and popularized by through the ekpe secret cult of eastern Igbos; You have to also understand that some eastern groups share a common acenstry with rivers groups. That you local chalk(nzu in Igbo) is prevailent in almost all the southern groups,so is that all you have. I am not very familiar with nothern group but i know a certain group there has a writing form.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Limaoscar: 9:08pm On May 26, 2012
For all those wasting time with Alj haram, you probably do not know He is one lousy cerebrally unstable fellow with multiple online Id's. He always shows up to mock others after He's missed a dose of His medication.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Butoneday2(m): 9:13pm On May 26, 2012
I am not an Edo guy neither been a yoruba, d question is: they're not seeing theirselves as yoruba but dey like to mingle wit Yorubas.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by TinTin18(f): 9:14pm On May 26, 2012
I'm bini from benin city and I speak for myself when I say I don't see myself as Yoruba. I do not know about people from other parts of Edo.

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Butoneday2(m): 9:20pm On May 26, 2012
But_one_day: I am not an Edo guy neither been a yoruba, d question is: they're not seeing theirselves as yoruba but dey like to mingle wit Yorubas.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tosank: 9:21pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem: I don't have time for all this rubbish, I am waiting for real edo people not some Imo or anambra okoro man. I would not let Andre and co drag Igbos into this.

Again I stated clearly that Yorubas are not claiming Edo people. We do not claim, Yes we share history together and they were part of the first empire. Now it is completly upto them to chose. Again we the yorubas don't have such complexes to be claiming, it is not for

All we are doing here is sharing history not claiming edos are yorub.
Maybe some of you need to get reading glasses.

Exactly
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ib0221: 9:22pm On May 26, 2012
esama ofbenin even went ahead to call ife their mecca. i think it should be in newswatch or so. i will like to stop here. though i question the import of the person that pose the questions, yoruba from my study is not a tribe just the way we have in nigeria. for history students, yoruba is just like what people term arab today. most of the so called arab today are arabinised arabs. it is left to those people like iraq, iran, libya, egypt to identify with anyone likewise the scenario in question.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by MacLovington(m): 9:26pm On May 26, 2012
ib0221: its on record dat oba of benin didnt respond to dat atleast openly because it's in d public domain. anybody can getfact from any dailies. as 4 for lagos, it is true dat lagos, ondo and part of benin republic was at a time under benin empire.you can notice dis till date in d obas insignia like sword in dose areas. infact d only pers dat was trying to back oba of benin den was oba of lagos.
i tin its true obas of benin were being buried in ife before dis was attested to by osama of benin around late 80s. tbc

You mean Osama bin Igbinedion
OR Osama bin Laden. grin[b][/b]
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by newacca: 9:27pm On May 26, 2012
hhhhhhmmmmm ILE IFE: LAND OF EXPANSION. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by warrior101: 9:34pm On May 26, 2012
ayobase:

U cant compare an Enlish Man/German man with Nigeria.

Thats country to country, and
this is tribe to tribe interwoven
for that matter!

The english you speak today was coined from german and a little bit of other languages. The original native of the place called britain were celtic/Gaelib speaking people i.e scots,welsh and irish until ancient germanic people invaded and later became english... Go check, the queen fore parents are germans... Also todays austria are of the same ancient germanic tribe. My point is that you can not go on and begin to ask if a briton feels like a german. Now apply that to the binis and yoruba issue
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ayobase(m): 10:11pm On May 26, 2012
shymmex:

Why do they have to bury the head in Yoruba land, and not bini? You guys need to stop making up falsehoods... And olukun is Yoruba!! How can a landlocked bini kingdom worship okun (atlantic ocean) without riverine people?? Even physicsQED won't argue against that..

Bini was landlocked!! Olokun is a Yoruba god, period.

Was it not said that Edo
extended to Lagos Island?

Not totally landlocked then!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ib0221: 10:13pm On May 26, 2012
MacLovington:

You mean Osama bin Igbinedion
OR Osama bin Laden. grin[b][/b]
i was rushing ,so i didnt crosscheck it. however, a couth person would have known better.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by iHustle(m): 10:28pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem: Papabrown, Edo Bini history is not free from folktale etc. Ogiso dynasty which I heard is the greatest dynasty is no different from Oduduwa dynanty. If I remember correctly Ogiso are people that fell from the sky.

The descendants of the Ogisos (the Edo Royal family) are still alive. Where is the trace of your Oduduwa?

Also another fallacy is the fact is it ogiso or something that gave birth to Itsekiri, Ijaw, yoruba etc Sorry sir I for one don't believe that.

The Itsekiris are descendants of an Edo prince. That is a historical fact

Lastly Eko means war camp in Bini while in Yoruba it means farmland

Different people with different way of viewing things. Anthony Oladeji Enahoro was Esan

All Obas of bini have yorubiod names

You must have A1 in telling lies!

Pre-Imperial Obas of Benin (1180-1440)
The dates of reigns of these early kings are highly uncertain.[1]

Something must be wrong with you, honestly.

Eweka I (1180–1246) owo mi/we ka (he could not speak and the first word he said at age 7 or 9 which ever one was Owo we ka meaning I can speak now or I understand it now)

Fallacy! He said "Owomika", meaning "my hand caught it". Eweka is a corruption of Owomika, as the Yoruba language was strange to our ancestors.

This was your first king after Ogiso dynasty isn't it right ? Now what does Eweka mean in edo ?

Even Oba Erediauwa aka which we call Oduduwa

I can now confirm that you are a goat. Erediauwa in our language means "One who has come to bring order to the world". Oduduwa is the yoruba corruption of Imadoduwa (an Edo name), which means "I did not miss the path to glory". Prince Ekaladerhan gave himself the name when he arrived at Ife.

How can a larger empire spanning through 3 different countries come from Edo ? It is totally illogical

You need to be prayed and fasted for, seriously. Your case is critical.

Lastly but not the least, All this edo are yoruba or not starting to bore me.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 11:02pm On May 26, 2012
ayobase:

The question is not daft and not insulting.

What connection has Yoruba with
Nupe, unlike Yoruba and Edo?

Will you tell your child d same if
he/she asks d same question.

U wanna tell me u r not seeing the
similarities, if not d connection!

Dude, it is for similar cultural bullying that the Midwest left the Western Region (a lesson in history). It is worth realising that the victim cultures of these threatening, never ending streams of nebulous claims always feel violated.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by preciousoz: 11:05pm On May 26, 2012
I am not Yoruba and will Never be. When U take a good look at me, U see no tribal Marks, I don't tell lies and betray people so easily. Am not a traitor and definitely not a coward. Our prince Ruled over them and we went there to get our Son back.

@ poster, go get a life outside this Forum.

Am NOT Yoruba.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 11:06pm On May 26, 2012
Didn't you people have this argument before? did you not get the answer from the bini's on this forum on that last thread? The Bini are not yoruba, they never claimed nor considered themselves as Yoruba. The only place where I've ever witnessed a self-proclaimed "bini" man claiming Yoruba and Edo as the same was on this forum and 100% of those men ended up being Yoruba that pretended to be bini. The Bini spoke already: Their culture, lifestyle, even language differ from yoruba and according to the ones on NL, their connection is more to other ethnicity inside Edo state and SS state. Hapu ha aka (leave them be).

BTW: Judging from the replies on this thread, many of you are unaware Edo state consists more than one ethnic group of which many have no connection to Yoruba historically. Just say Bini rather than Edo
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by mafioso2(m): 11:09pm On May 26, 2012
agha so' ghedo, Edo Odion....Edo ghavbe so' ogho mwan Edo vbe Odion

Ever Wondered why in any Occasion where a Yoruba man is, a bini man (no matter the Age)will be the one to Break the kola nut

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 11:10pm On May 26, 2012
@ Odenigbo Aroli

WTF is wrong with you? How did you get into this argument and why are you insulting the Bini dynasty alongside well-known bigots?
Are you truly an Igbo man or one those claim claim?

mschwee.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by cashmentor(m): 11:11pm On May 26, 2012
Most folks here forget that the Bini's where powerful warriors those days! Conquered many parts of Nigeria and even stretch as far as west Africa! The Yoruba people have no impact what soever in the life of d Bini's...it is the other way around! They only came back to yorubaland to collect one of their own, their heir and Prince, long lost, but found!

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by olaadegoke(m): 11:13pm On May 26, 2012
Yes,the Chinese also claimed to be fulani embarassed
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by jason123: 11:15pm On May 26, 2012
preciousoz: I am not Yoruba and will Never be. When U take a good look at me, U see no tribal Marks, I don't tell lies and betray people so easily. Am not a traitor and definitely not a coward. Our prince Ruled over them and we went there to get our Son back.

@ poster, go get a life outside this Forum.

Am NOT Yoruba.

preciousoz

YIM: sazi

Time registered: September 16, 2007

Time spent online: 1 day & 4 hours

You are certainly not! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Different From World Leaders And Kings I've Met - Arab Billionaire / What You Need To Know About Kola, Bitter Kola And Aligator Peppe. / NSCDC Special Female Squad Visits Alaafin Of Oyo (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.