Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? (46192 Views)

Android Vs Windows Phone Vs Ios - Home Screen / Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know / Difference between .Sis n .Sisx on symbian phones!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by dmainboss: 5:36pm On May 31, 2012
Blackteeth: I use both Android and Symbian therefore am in position to post in this thread.
Starting with Android, I have discovered that it uses your data bundle excessively. Secondly, the battery life is poor compared to Nokia. Apart from that, no other problems. Android has alot of applications compared to Symbian, therefore you can do much more with it.
Talking about Symbian, Nokia has a very strong battery and hardware better than other brands of phones and therefore lasts longer. Thats the big advantage of Nokia

No offence intended bro but I find posts like this a little ignorant. All smart phones generally have a poor battery life because they are practically little computers. What you need do is get a replacement battery with bigger capacity i.e. Samsung phones normally come with a 1500mAH but you can get a 3500mAH replacement battery and get like 2 extra days of power(depending on your phone use)

Like computers, smart phones have lots or services running in the background so you have to learn to manage that. You can get taskmanagers and killers from google play/app market. IPhones also have taskmanagers. Making sure only necessary apps are running can save a lot of battery power for you.

Also, Android comes with a lot of customizable ROM. Some of these ROMs come with better battery life. I use a Dark Night ROM on my Samsung Captivate running Ice Cream Sandwich and its beatiful, fast and has good battery life. This is where Android leaves everyone else dead on their tracks.

On data consumption, again, it is ignorant to say Android consumes too much data. It consumes much data because don't know what to do. It is just like installing windows and activating automatic update and later complaining that your laptop is consuming to much Internet data. Just simply turn off automatic sync and background data services on your Android and you are good to go. Or better still, get Droidwall or similar app and just allow only necessary apps to use Internet service by adding them to your white list. Very simple and cute. Sometimes, it pays to ask questions so you don't look bad on forums like these.

Please don't insult an Android phone by comparing it with a symbian phone. It is just absurd. My Android phone can even check my BP, Heart beat and surrounding temperature. Only an IPhone can match that.

3 Likes

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Piyke: 5:42pm On May 31, 2012
@OP the question you have to answer is what do i want out of a phone? this would let you know the kind of phone you need
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 31, 2012
beethoven:

For Android, the data and battery consumption issues are true to an extent but the real problem is that people that use android just go to the android market, install applications that are always connecting to the Internet for updates. Sometimes you'd have a situation where some people would have more than 2 weather monitoring applications installed on their android phones, with all these always connected for updates. If add up other scenarios where u have more than one application for the same purpose, u'd simply zap off your data bundle in no time. Same thing goes for battery, people tend to always have too many applications opened at the same time and left running even when they are not in use. Also u don't have to use 3G unless u really need it, u can change ur network settings to always use Edge. I currently use this strategy and it works fine for me. I've never used more than 500MB of data in a month no matter how many applications I have opened and requesting updates.

How much does the 500MB cost you and what service provider?
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by timpaker(m): 6:14pm On May 31, 2012
Seriously, people amaze me with dia cheap talk on NOKIA, if you wanna compare an android phones with Nokia do it with the Symbian Belle.

IMO, Nokia belle rocks in all ramifications, from hardwares to softwares et al.
How many Android phones can read flash/USB drive? guess what Nokia does so with ease, i mean thee Nokia E7 which runs on Belle.
the tittle of this thread is suppose to be ''what can an android do that a Nokia Symbian Belle couldn't?''
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by dmainboss: 6:15pm On May 31, 2012
Things you can do with and Android phone:

1. Check your BP
2. Check your heart beat rate
3. Check your environment temperature
4. Run a wifi hotspot at home or the office or just connect with usb and use it as your Internet modem. It is a far better modem than the one provided by your phone company
5. Run all kind of softwares from car diagnostics to how to bake a cake to how to make furniture for your home, etc
6. Install apps to your phone from your desktop or laptop, whereever your phone is.
7. Synchronise your browser on your laptop or desktop to your phone remotely. This is especially cool when using Google Chrome for Android
8. Synchronise your GMail, Yahoo, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Myspace contacts, calenders, schedules, content seamlessly. With full OS support.
9. Install various kinds of keyboards depending on your choice.
10. Use dropbox and other cloud services to store your content seamlessly
11. Upgrade your OS easily anytime a new OS version comes out. From ICS 4.0, OTA OS update is now a standard feature for all phones
12. Backup all your software settings and restore easily after a system wipe, upgrade, flashing or whatever. You can backup to Internal or external SD card
13. Customize your desktop(five desktops), buttons, menus and virtually all your user interface in countless ways. I actually have a features in Dark Night ROM that allows me to place app icons in a grouped desktop foldes. Simply awesome!
14. Run ftp apps that you can use to manage you website just like from your laptop.
15. Android comes with SQLlite database inbuilt. That's power right there.
16. Customize your startup screen like on a normal PC. You can even change the startup picture to your own personal picture.
17. Edit your pictures easily and wonderfully
18. Run a DJ scratch machine. Simply cool.
19. Create documents, presentation, spreadsheet, PDF, HTML/PHP pages, etc
20. Manage your joomla site straight from and app on your phone without opening a browser.

Android Rocks!

2 Likes

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Blackteeth(m): 6:17pm On May 31, 2012
dmainboss:

No offence intended bro but I find posts like this a little ignorant. All smart phones generally have a poor battery life because they are practically little computers. What you need do is get a replacement battery with bigger capacity i.e. Samsung phones normally come with a 1500mAH but you can get a 3500mAH replacement battery and get like 2 extra days of power(depending on your phone use)

Like computers, smart phones have lots or services running in the background so you have to learn to manage that. You can get taskmanagers and killers from google play/app market. IPhones also have taskmanagers. Making sure only necessary apps are running can save a lot of battery power for you.

Also, Android comes with a lot of customizable ROM. Some of these ROMs come with better battery life. I use a Dark Night ROM on my Samsung Captivate running Ice Cream Sandwich and its beatiful, fast and has good battery life. This is where Android leaves everyone else dead on their tracks.

On data consumption, again, it is ignorant to say Android consumes too much data. It consumes much data because don't know what to do. It is just like installing windows and activating automatic update and later complaining that your laptop is consuming to much Internet data. Just simply turn off automatic sync and background data services on your Android and you are good to go. Or better still, get Droidwall or similar app and just allow only necessary apps to use Internet service by adding them to your white list. Very simple and cute. Sometimes, it pays to ask questions so you don't look bad on forums like these.

Please don't insult an Android phone by comparing it with a symbian phone. It is just absurd. My Android phone can even check my BP, Heart beat and surrounding temperature. Only an IPhone can match that.

Bro the only thing you said that made sense is the replacement of 1500AH battery with a 3500AH. Every other thing you said is trash. When I say that Android has a poor battery life it means that when compared to Nokia, it falls behind. That doesn't mean I said all the smartphones have a long battery life except Android.
Concerning the data issue, didn't you read where I mentioned that I monitor every services using my data bundle? Meaning that even when I stop every service except my browser, I still notice higher data consumption when I only bowse. Your reply to my post was just trash.
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by dmainboss: 6:19pm On May 31, 2012
dmainboss:

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Dkaz(m): 6:28pm On May 31, 2012
Confused. www.9jageek.com
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by dmainboss: 6:29pm On May 31, 2012
Blackteeth:
Bro the only thing you said that made sense is the replacement of 1500AH battery with a 3500AH. Every other thing you said is trash. When I say that Android has a poor battery life it means that when compared to Nokia, it falls behind. That doesn't mean I said all the smartphones have a long battery life except Android.
Concerning the data issue, didn't you read where I mentioned that I monitor every services using my data bundle? Meaning that even when I stop every service except my browser, I still notice higher data consumption when I only bowse. Your reply to my post was just trash.

Why do you choose to stay in your ignorance like an average Nigerian? Did you actually read my post?

With Droidwall installed, no data goes out or comes in except you allow it. That means I can use a 1mb data for one day if I choose to. In fact, on monday when my subscription expired, I subscribed for 10mb, N100 Airtel bundle and used it all day for my emails and whatsapp chat and even nairaland. It was the next day I did my 1 month sub. All I needed to do was enable only Gmail, whatapp and chrome on my Droidwall and I was ok.

And the more the apps ans services running on your droid, the less battery time you have. I used to get about 4 hours of heavy use on my 1500mAH, but after tweaking my setup, I started gettin a little over a full day of heavy use. You gat to open your mind bro and learn. Drop the defensive posture and just learn. Google is free.

Sometimes Nigerians tend to prove they know so much.

1 Like

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by dmainboss: 6:34pm On May 31, 2012
An note that your phone must be rooted to be able to install Droidwall and new ROMs. Many network locked phones are not rooted.

Also when you browse, the amount of data consumed is dependent on the browser settings like image quality, javascript support, compression algoritm and offline setting. You can simply tweek those from your browser to manage your data. Most Nokia phones comes optimised to use less data. Android is normally set to give you an exciting browsing experience with high end graphics and lot more. So you have to set it to consume less.

The point is, comparing and Android phone to a symbian phone is like comparing a laptop to a symbian phone. An Android phone is a "mini laptop". You can't expect a laptop battery to run for 2 days, can you?

1 Like

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Blackteeth(m): 6:46pm On May 31, 2012
dmainboss:

Why do you choose to stay in your ignorance like an average Nigerian? Did you actually read my post?

With Droidwall installed, no data goes out or comes in except you allow it. That means I can use a 1mb data for one day if I choose to. In fact, on monday when my subscription expired, I subscribed for 10mb, N100 Airtel bundle and used it all day for my emails and whatsapp chat and even nairaland. It was the next day I did my 1 month sub. All I needed to do was enable only Gmail, whatapp and chrome on my Droidwall and I was ok.

And the more the apps ans services running on your droid, the less battery time you have. I used to get about 4 hours of heavy use on my 1500mAH, but after tweaking my setup, I started gettin a little over a full day of heavy use. You gat to open your mind bro and learn. Drop the defensive posture and just learn. Google is free.

Sometimes Nigerians tend to prove they know so much.

You are still saying the same thing remodified. Is droidwall the only way to stop running services? Didn't I mention I do it manually? Must I install droidwall?
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by betrani(m): 6:46pm On May 31, 2012
megxo: or nokia 808 ba....d fone na die
Old or new! Symbian fones a no way near ANDROID devices Ok!
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by dmainboss: 6:59pm On May 31, 2012
Blackteeth:
You are still saying the same thing remodified. Is droidwall the only way to stop running services? Didn't I mention I do it manually? Must I install droidwall?

Yes, you absolutely must install Droidwall! You cannot stop all Android services manually. Where on earth did you get that from? Even when you shut down background services, all apps, widgets and services with root permission or with system designate will still use data services. I told you before, Google is free! Use it man!

And just to add, 3G and the Screen are about the biggest battery drainers opn Android so you must shut 3G when not in use and use automatic screen brightness feature. Also set your screen time out to something low. I have these buttons configured on my navigation bar and drop down bar so I have quick access to them. You gat to explore your droid man. You are disgracing that machine in your hand! Gosh!

1 Like

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Blackteeth(m): 7:25pm On May 31, 2012
dmainboss:

Yes, you absolutely must install Droidwall! You cannot stop all Android services manually. Where on earth did you get that from? Even when you shut down background services, all apps, widgets and services with root permission or with system designate will still use data services. I told you before, Google is free! Use it man!

And just to add, 3G and the Screen are about the biggest battery drainers opn Android so you must shut 3G when not in use and use automatic screen brightness feature. Also set your screen time out to something low. I have these buttons configured on my navigation bar and drop down bar so I have quick access to them. You gat to explore your droid man. You are disgracing that machine in your hand! Gosh!

I already know all that so stop claiming a guru with me. I wouldn't stop every services completely cos there are important apps I use that I would love to obtain update notification as they arrive. Why would I entirely stop all services running? Then whats the essense of using the phone?
Listen man, all this doesn't change the fact that the Android battery life is poor and data consumption is higher compared to Nokia smartphones. Accept that. Simple
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:48pm On May 31, 2012
dmainboss: Things you can do with and Android phone:

1. Check your BP
4. Run a wifi hotspot at home or the office or just connect with usb and use it as your Internet modem. It is a far better modem than the one provided by your phone company
5. Run all kind of softwares from car diagnostics to how to bake a cake to how to make furniture for your home, etc
6. Install apps to your phone from your desktop or laptop, whereever your phone is.
7. Synchronise your browser on your laptop or desktop to your phone remotely. This is especially cool when using Google Chrome for Android
8. Synchronise your GMail, Yahoo, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Myspace contacts, calenders, schedules, content seamlessly. With full OS support.
11. Upgrade your OS easily anytime a new OS version comes out. From ICS 4.0, OTA OS update is now a standard feature for all phones
12. Backup all your software settings and restore easily after a system wipe, upgrade, flashing or whatever. You can backup to Internal or external SD card
13. Customize your desktop(five desktops), buttons, menus and virtually all your user interface in countless ways. I actually have a features in Dark Night ROM that allows me to place app icons in a grouped desktop foldes. Simply awesome!
14. Run ftp apps that you can use to manage you website just like from your laptop.
16. Customize your startup screen like on a normal PC. You can even change the startup picture to your own personal picture.
20. Manage your joomla site straight from and app on your phone without opening a browser.

Android Rocks!

Good points! My belle can do virtually everything except 1,2(i dont know if there are apps for those) and maybe 19.
3. Yes, it can.
4. Ever heard of joikuspot?
5. Enough softwares at ovi store(although not as much as android).
6 & 7. Enough pc remote softwares at ovi store like kinoni desktop remote, etc.
8. Yes! My phone contacts are synced with my fb and twitter accounts(cos those are d only two i av).
9. Yes! E.g. swype.
10. Yes!
11. OS upgrade? As easy as pressing *#0000#.
12. Yes! Even netqin does that.
13. Oh! Yours is five? Ours is six!
14. File Transfer Protocols? Enough of them!
15. Dont knw much about SQLite.
16. Yes! U can tweak it anyhow. Go to 'nokia belle is here' and see 4 urself.
17. Yes! Enough photo editing apps.
18. Lots of music mixin apps.
19. Documents, presentations, spreadsheets? Yes! Bt not pdf and html.
20. Wtf is joomla?

Now, can u navigate on ur android without connecting to d internet? I mean free-4-a-lifetime navigation? I wont argue software with u because android obviously has more than belle(and it's because android is an open source os and only nokia uses belle) but hardware, oga no try am. Can u compare d best android fone's camera wit n8's camera nt to talk of 808 pureview? Can u play music from ur android via ur local radio? Can u connect ur flash to ur android device? And let's nt 4get, enough nokia care outlets in 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by dmainboss: 7:55pm On May 31, 2012
Here are some pics
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by zangiff(m): 8:03pm On May 31, 2012
nokia all the way
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by flameforx(m): 8:09pm On May 31, 2012
dmainboss: Things you can do with and Android phone:

1. Check your BP

Android Rocks!

if u like chk ur sper.m count and do virginity test with ur andriod
i still get BELLE and am not aborting it

3 Likes

Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by omoboy08(m): 8:26pm On May 31, 2012
flameforx:

if u like chk ur sper.m count and do virginity test with ur andriod
i still get BELLE and am not aborting it
my bro, i fotocopy u.
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by JideTheBlogger(m): 8:31pm On May 31, 2012
Never compare Symbian with Android. They are not mates at all.

If you check the website of most app developers, what you will see there is "Available in iTunes App Store" or "Available at Android Market (Google Play)"
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 31, 2012
Hello Nokia abi na Bella users to compound your woes, TECNO T1 Android Smartphone is going on sale next month. And with access to over 550,000 apps, plenty customisation and complete control over your device, no dulling. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by OgidiOlu3(m): 8:47pm On May 31, 2012
JideTheBlogger: Never compare Symbian with Android. They are not mates at all.

If you check the website of most app developers, what you will see there is "Available in iTunes App Store" or "Available at Android Market (Google Play)"

So? The fact that android and ios are more widely used doesn't make them beta. Developers develop apps for the most widely used platforms e.g. there are more softwares 4 Windows than Linux. Give me facts pls, dont just tell me android is beta.
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by OmichaelO: 8:56pm On May 31, 2012
y'all just shouting android..ANDROID IS A FREE OPERATING SYSTEM JUST LIKE WINDOWS ON COMPUTERS,THEY TEND TO HAVE MORE APPLICATIONS COS ANY PHONE MAKING COMPANY CAN JUST DECIDE TO MAKE THEIR PHONES RUN ON ANDROID OS E.G SAMSUNG,HTC,LG,MOTOROLA AMONGST OTHERS ARE ON ANDROID OS(MAJORITY OF THEM NOT ALL)
WHILE SYMBIAN^3,ANNA,BELLE AND BELLE FP1 ARE STRICTLY FOR NOKIA ALONE AND THEY ARE DOING FINE,EVEN BETTER AND CHEAPER THAN MANY ANDROID PHONES...E.G NOKIA 603 vs HTC WILDFIRE OR SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE!!! Its def. Nokia 603 more ram,processor,hd recording,hd games,free life map etc...SO YOU CAN'T COMPARE ANY LOW END ANDROID PHONE EVEN ON GINGERBREAD WITH SYMBIAN^3,ANNA,BELLE!!! Shikena
ps:nokia 603 rocks
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by emmyitodo: 9:27pm On May 31, 2012
I use a low end android phone(samsung pro) and my experience with these super machine is mind blowing. At the moment am into webdesigning online with the opportunity of great text editors and html viewers that are abound on the android market. I enjoy unlimited data on these gizmo(dnt ask me how cos am stil not in the know). My rommie is getting green with e**y everyday with the miracles these machines does.....funny enough, he uses e5 and blackberry bold4 each cost more than my android but yet they cant match my xperience except 4 pinging which of course whatsapp aint bad at it.

android rocks!
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 31, 2012
Android Smartphones blows and chokes nokia belle dumbphones outta water.
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by bibe(m): 10:03pm On May 31, 2012
Joe50: wanted to create a threat like this... Tanx any way.

Please Nl between symbian 3rd edition and lastest andiod which is better? Especially battery lasting and browsing fastness plus data consumption and durability.

Am currently using Nokia E71 and planning to switch to andiod.

Pls help.

i havent fiddled with the latest android os which is ICS yey. but generally android compared to the "symbian belle" based on the points u just noted being browsing, battery, data efficiency and durability....,
id say the belle is better at data efficiency and battery (resource use).
as for browser, they have a relative performance (regards to processor and ram) and as dor durability... thats up for the hardware.
but android has got one thing going for it and thats apps. plus nokia is going to be pulling the support plug on symbian come 2016 according to an press release last year.
so there it is... u decide for ursef.
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by pek(m): 10:15pm On May 31, 2012
Pls gèeks, can i watch you tube and/or metacafe on belle(nokia c7)
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Mcdondayan: 10:21pm On May 31, 2012
pls guys i am a bit confused. Lets say i have 50k, nd i want a phone that browses very fast, has a camera of abt 8mp, with large memory capacity, touch screen nd button, not slide, usb port nd long ba3 lyf nd is rugged.pls which fone could i buy. The price could be a little above or below 50k. Pls i would b hapi if i could know the reason y i fone is beta than d oda nd if possible, the price range. Thank u very much
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 31, 2012
Ogidi-Olu:

Now, can u navigate on ur android without connecting to d internet? I mean free-4-a-lifetime navigation? I wont argue software with u because android obviously has more than belle(and it's because android is an open source os and only nokia uses belle) but hardware, oga no try am. Can u compare d best android fone's camera wit n8's camera nt to talk of 808 pureview? Can u play music from ur android via ur local radio? Can u connect ur flash to ur android device? And let's nt 4get, enough nokia care outlets in 9ja.

First point is utterly useless cos navigating through maps on android is more efficient and smoother than your belle.sure, it ain't offline but how many kb does it take cos I've spent almost an hour and it didn't consume up to 500kb

If you wanna compare n8 camera which its the best released for now to the best Android can provide, you'll see you're just slapping yourself on the face. I use a gs2 after my n8 and I could tell you their cameras are comparable especially in low light areas or night mood. What of the htcs with the dual flash, xperia s with the 12mp, xperia phones with bravia engines, super amoled screens, 1080 hd videos that only dual cores outperform? You need to do more research before defending a 600mhz processor phone.

as for these:
playing music through radio- ever heard of the fm transmitter app

Connecting flash to Android- hope you know what usb on the go means?

Nokia outlets- try google samsung centers in Nigeria before you type any Other baseless points.

About battery life by tweaking or rooting your Android, changing your kernel, modem versions and enabling fast dormancy, you'll see an unreal battery life. Though nokia battery life is great, that's just the sacrifice you make for a dual core processor, lcd ips or super amoled 720p, 480p resolution screens, better gpu and hd games.

I ain't a Nokia hater but clearly you guys don't Know a thing about Android.
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by airbender(m): 10:54pm On May 31, 2012
Can u compare a java phone and a symbian? If ur answer is no why compare a symbian and an andriod
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Oyawuni(m): 10:54pm On May 31, 2012
i prefare symbian phone to android.
I ve been using symbian for the past 5years
Re: Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:59pm On May 31, 2012
Joe50: wanted to create a threat like this... Tanx any way.

Please Nl between symbian 3rd edition and lastest andiod which is better? Especially battery lasting and browsing fastness plus data consumption and durability.

Am currently using Nokia E71 and planning to switch to andiod.

Pls help.
Чö̤̣̇ΰя E71 is an old phone, why not try X7,E6,E7,N8 etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Any MTN Free Browsing Hacks? / How To Enable 4g Lte On Your 3g Android Phone(100% Working) / MTN Just Gave Me N5000 Airtime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.