Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,093 members, 7,821,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria (10600 Views)

Enugu Government Rejects Grazing Reserves Bill / Buhari Rejects US Gay Marriage. / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 9:41pm On Nov 20, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lets draw back for a second. . . . .a simple question needs to be asked.Has the US ever signified the intention to establish a military base in Nigeria?

I might as well start a topic,I-man rejects CEO position with Microsoft.How can you reject what is not on offer?
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 9:43pm On Nov 20, 2007
I-man:

Lets draw back for a second. . . . .a simple question needs to be asked.Has the US ever signified the intention to establish a military base in Nigeria?

I might as well start a topic,I-man rejects CEO position with Microsoft.How can you reject what is not on offer?

By expression or implied, lol
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On Nov 20, 2007
I-man:

That happens to be the problem. From the much I gathered, the president's rejection was simply him saying that Nigeria would have no part in it. THERE was NEVER REALLY a case of having one built in NIGERIA or in LIBERIA or even in SOUTH AFRICA but these countries have been vocal about their opposition to the plan in AFRICA.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 10:10pm On Nov 20, 2007
McKren:

I must be arguing with someone not in my league

I have a resource which other people want. The fairest thing they can do is to come and bid, negotiate etc to legitimately have it not to bully me or bully others so that the cost of that comodity will solely reamain the same or the commodity will only be available to them

Nobody is in your league. . . . .I'll be damned to find myself in your league.

In regards to your comments about resource.The US has a huge military base in Bahrain,does Bahrain sell oil to the US at a discount?It sells at the same price that Burkina Faso will pay.

Do Germany,Japan,South Korea,e.t c sell to the US at a discount? How does a US military base affect a country's resource.Please tell us. . . . . .and remember to consult Robert Redford. grin
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by debosky(m): 10:17pm On Nov 20, 2007
Never really a Case of a base being built? Now thats naive

sure we were not sure of the location, but all the leanings and posturing have shown that the US desired to have an AFRICAN COMMAND aka AFRICOM, based in all likelyhood within the West African (Coastal states of West & Central Africa) region due to the increasing importance of the oil supplies of the region to its economy, and the need to safeguard these in order to prevent any untoward shocks or military activities that may disrupt the free flow.

This has nothing to do with selling oil at a discount, it has more to do with the parlous state of security in the region as a whole, and the very real and apparent threat to oil facilities and US investments in the region. The government should do its own part to shore up security in these parts, we need that very urgently.

US military bases are not about 'bullying', its more a case of securing free movement of the product - if we sell more, we make more, the US gets oil for its economy and everyone is happy.

But if you don't want the Americans, then show you are capable of securing your own borders and guaranteeing security of investments and of lives.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by buluti(m): 10:37pm On Nov 20, 2007
@ debosky, thank you and may God bless you for your contribution.

I am so so tired of a  people that do not take responsibility for their action and inactions, always blaming others apart from themselves. We never put our house in order then we complain when people want to do it because indirectly its affecting them. Its now the west thats fighting corruption for Nigeria.

The point is if the govt could secure the creeks there would be no need for this AFRICOM or whatever its called, but because we have shown we are incapable.

We are angry at a nation that thinks putting itself first, saying they are selfish, we that we are selfless where has it landed us. We went to Liberia & Sierre Leone, our troops died in their hundreds nothing to show for it.

And for those finding it hard to differentiate between aid and contribution, the US is by far the largest aid donor in the world, they are even the lagest to palestine, the so called Iran and Arab nations do not give them nada but suicide bombers. Such Rubbish
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Afam(m): 11:39pm On Nov 20, 2007
buluti:

And for those finding it hard to differentiate between aid and contribution, the US is by far the largest aid donor in the world, they are even the lagest to palestine, the so called Iran and Arab nations do not give them nada but suicide bombers. Such Rubbish

Now the content above seems not to be based on facts but based on religious sentiments, what a pity.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by buluti(m): 12:48am On Nov 21, 2007
@ Afam it would be mature and intellectual to keep religion out of this. The US is definately the largest aid donor in the world, i think followed by Britain and the west is the largest to palestine let me say the EU, am sure the US definately follow.

When i have the time i will present the facts, but pls if you want to argue on religion we can go to the religon section not politics.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by naijaway(m): 12:59am On Nov 21, 2007
No shaking!! hail to YAR ADUA.  Like mckren said, we have been begging for fair trade for a while now, they can also let their companies have bases in Africa like they do in china and india where they don't have bases; but yet when other people with their own agendas but fair playing field come to relate with us then they come up with dat bases crap just to divide and conquer as usual and the same people most affected by divide and conquer are the same people still falling for it; just like that good old saying "somethings never change".
Good for countries that are supporting it, they might think they are superior but others not supporting it, can still counter that by breaking up the so called AU, and aligning with other big powers and then we will be left to ask ourselves if others from outside the continent will really care when history repeats itself. The best bet for naija now is to keep developing our strengths by anyway possible including strengthening tighter laws against spies either from inside or outside; and then always having a counter mentality towards those infected by this ooh it will help us but don't sabotage and those that are being used as tools because they look like us just to make us lower our guards but they can inflict sadness.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 1:01am On Nov 21, 2007
naijaway:

No shaking!! hail to YAR ADUA.  Like mckren said, we have been begging for fair trade for a while now, they can also let their companies have bases in Africa like they do in china and india where they don't have bases; but yet when other people with their own agendas but fair playing field come to relate with us then they come up with that bases crap just to divide and conquer as usual and the same people most affected by divide and conquer are the same people still falling for it; just like that good old saying "somethings never change".
Good for countries that are supporting it, they might think they are superior but others not supporting it, can still counter that by breaking up the so called AU, and aligning with other big powers and then we will be left to ask ourselves if others from outside the continent will really care when history repeats itself. The best bet for naija now is to keep developing our strengths by anyway possible including strengthening tighter laws against spies either from inside or outside; and then always having a counter mentality towards those infected by this ooh it will help us but don't sabotage and those that are being used as tools because they look like us just to make us lower our guards but they can inflict sadness.

Here is one very intelligent question for you @Naijaway ,  Show me how this is about  Trade with africa?? I mean just one ?? Nigeria already trades with America, about 25% of the Oil used in America comes from Nigeria. Apart from that, Nigerians spend millions of dollars each year purchasing goods from America. So what trade is this really about to you ?? Or we all to assume that everytime america comes up in the picture, it is about trade
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by naijaway(m): 2:03am On Nov 21, 2007
@kobojunkie, true to that about the trades but who says it can't get better than that. If two people are doing respectful business like u sell to me what u think i need and i sell to u what i think u need, then along the duration of our cooperation in watever small or big way, I decide to start being undependable whenever I wish but then u can't really sweat me because the few u still manage to get is kind of helping u in its own way.
Now if all of a sudden I just start calling u my main man whenever I see u, but inside u know that things haven't really changed because your profit are not really getting anybetter but u appreciate my cooperation and u call me for more ways to enhance both profits and cooperations but i start bullsh*ing u again sometimes making u feel like a fool, now comes other partners that are telling u and matter of fact helping u out logistically and this seems to be boosting your profit more and even getting to the point of being more valuable than my cooperation with u. If u were in this shoes which friendship would be more valuable? and who will u be more careful about especially when u know that I can sabotage u when I get angry with u? but yet at this point of our friendship, I want us to have deeper cooperations by u signing your money to me not just now but until I deem it unnecessary. 
  All that talk, is just a micro example of what is to come. I mean at this point, every AU nation is been watched from satellites and have monthly occurence of airspace intrusions, but yet we have adapted because we can't counter; yet that is not enough because the use to kinda resources is not going their way so they have to do gra gra to get some even if it means treating u like your forefathers, I bet this time they wouldn't make the mistakes of sending people to their own lands.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by naijaway(m): 2:04am On Nov 21, 2007
@kobojunkie, true to dat about the trades but who says it can't get better than that. If two people are doing respectful business like u sell to me wat u think i need and i sell to u wat i think u need, then along the duration of our cooperation in watever small or big way, I decide to start being undependable whenever I wish but then u can't really sweat me cuz the few u still manage to get is kinda helping u in its own way.
Now if all of a sudden I just start calling u my main man whenever I see u, but inside u know dat things haven't really changed cuz ur profit are not really getting anybetter but u appreciate my cooperation and u call me for more ways to enhance both profits and cooperations but i start bullsh*ing u again sometimes making u feel like a fool, now comes other partners that are telling u and matter of fact helping u out logistically and this seems to be boosting ur profit more and even getting to the point of being more valuable than my cooperation with u. If u were in this shoes which friendship would be more valuable? and who will u be more careful about especially when u know that I can sabotage u when I get angry with u? but yet at this point of our friendship, I want us to have deeper cooperations by u signing ur money to me not just now but until I deem it unnecessary.  
 All dat talk, is just a micro example of wat is to come. I mean at this point, every AU nation is been watched from satellites and have monthly occurence of airspace intrusions, but yet we have adapted cuz we can't counter dat is not enough cuz damn the resources is not going their way so they have to do gra gra to get some even if it means treating u like ur forefathers, I bet this time they wouldn't make the mistakes of sending people to their own lands.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:10am On Nov 21, 2007
naijaway:

@kobojunkie, true to that about the trades but who says it can't get better than that. If two people are doing respectful business like u sell to me what u think i need and i sell to u what i think u need, then along the duration of our cooperation in watever small or big way, I decide to start being undependable whenever I wish but then u can't really sweat me because the few u still manage to get is kind of helping u in its own way.
Now if all of a sudden I just start calling u my main man whenever I see u, but inside u know that things haven't really changed because your profit are not really getting anybetter but u appreciate my cooperation and u call me for more ways to enhance both profits and cooperations but i start bullsh*ing u again sometimes making u feel like a fool, now comes other partners that are telling u and matter of fact helping u out logistically and this seems to be boosting your profit more and even getting to the point of being more valuable than my cooperation with u. If u were in this shoes which friendship would be more valuable? and who will u be more careful about especially when u know that I can sabotage u when I get angry with u? but yet at this point of our friendship, I want us to have deeper cooperations by u signing your money to me not just now but until I deem it unnecessary. 
  All that talk, is just a micro example of what is to come. I mean at this point, every AU nation is been watched from satellites and have monthly occurence of airspace intrusions, but yet we have adapted because we can't counter that is not enough because damn the resources is not going their way so they have to do gra gra to get some even if it means treating u like your forefathers, I bet this time they wouldn't make the mistakes of sending people to their own lands.

Ok,  but is this based on reality of assumptions of some kind?? Cause I still see no connection when it comes to you claiming the base is about trade in the way you say it is. That is what I need to understand. What has this Military Base got to do with trade?? So far, Oil price is at an all time high now cause of security issues in Nigeria. The thing is whether the oil comes from venezuela or from saudi arabia, it is the same price per barrel. @Naijaway
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 2:12am On Nov 21, 2007
i love to argue with debosky. he always goes straight to the point and he never looses focus to abuse his opponent. i find that very comfortable. however, i'm yet to recall where i have ever agreed with him. . . . not even in sports.

@debosky,
i'm of the opinion that having a foreign military at our backyard is not very comfortable. there should be stronger reasons for that. the US military in our backyard may be counter-productive if we find ourselves in a diplomatic tiff. i dont know much about their military bases but the few i know. . . germany, soudi arabia, south korea, japan etc are products of one war or the other . . . . . post war victory maintainance mechanism if they must have a base near us there must be convincing reasons. protecting our oil bases, trade passage etc aint enough reason to build a military base at our domot, with all its concommitants.

when russia tried to build some military installations in cuba, america was livid. when they wanted to build some nuclear defence shield programme in eastern europe, russia opposed it. countries dont always trust each other with military stuff and nigeria should be the same.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 2:13am On Nov 21, 2007
No shaking!! hail to YAR ADUA. Like mckren said, we have been begging for fair trade for a while now, they can also let their companies have bases in Africa like they do in china and india where they don't have bases;
@naijaway

Under AGOA,Nigeria and other African countries enjoy preferential trade access to the US market that other regions don't enjoy.The Act enables African countries to export a wide range of goods to the US free of import duty.

Since AGOA was passed,US imports from Africa has increased by 50% and 98% of African exports to the US were duty free as at 2005.The legislation applys only to Sub-Saharan African countries.

Development aid has also tripled since 2000. All these points are probably a waste of time since anti-Americanism is based on sentiments not facts.

http://www.agoa.gov/agoa_legislation/agoa_legislation.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/30/AR2006123000941.html
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by naijaway(m): 2:17am On Nov 21, 2007
kobojunkie, really dat is not for me to answer cuz dats why alot of minds are worried. Cuz their bases is their bases even when it is ur space. But really, u can't ignore a lion roaming in ur compound especially when its fenced(soverign); it goes both ways, it could massacre anyone coming in but wat about u going out.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:21am On Nov 21, 2007
naijaway:

kobojunkie, really that is not for me to answer because that is why alot of minds are worried. Cuz their bases is their bases even when it is your space. But really, u can't ignore a lion roaming in your compound especially when its fenced(soverign); it goes both ways, it could massacre anyone coming in but what about u going out.

So we are speaking of the same USA that has a base in countries like

a) Saudi Arabia
b) Germany
c) Japan
d) Korea
e) Uganda,  etc

Why is the USA suddenly a treat to Africa now Why is this same tactic which it has used for decades now suddenly a threat to you as an African?? I mean as far as we know, Africa has been it's own EVIL LORD for generations now. Why do we transfer that position to the USA now?? Or is this just based on years old bias??  

Africa is already at it's worst. We have been suckling at the nipples of countries like the USA, for free,  for so many decades and suddenly, we now see the USA as a roaming lion?? @Naijaway
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 10:19am On Nov 21, 2007
America again!

God forbid bad thing! It seems the Americans are getting tired of the middle-east; too much heat in the kitchen? too many dying in Iraq?

The Germans and the Japanese (part of the old Axis of Evil) have moved away from the now archaic military-centric mindset of the Americans, focusing on making more efficient machines - Benz, Toyota, etc. than the Americans - Ford, et. Now they (Americans) are looking for new places to expand the deployment of their arsenal of mass murder?

I know that it will not be in my lifetime that I will see a GI with an Oklahoma accent patrolling Mile 2, Lagos. No matter what happens in Nigeria, we must never allow the evil tentacles of the American military-industrial complex extend to our fatherland! Not in my lifetime; not in my grand-children's lifetime.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by FBS: 10:42am On Nov 21, 2007
I will see a GI with an Oklahoma accent patrolling Mile 2, Lagos
Naija people, u na funny oh, God bless una!!! smiley
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 12:14pm On Nov 21, 2007
As long as Nigeria, South Africa and Lybia are opposed to it. This proposal will obviously go no where.

The acceptance by Liberia is not necessarily suprising as their declaration only came roughly about a week after US granted them debt relief. They can mortgage their future if they wish, we can only wish them luck.

We all learnt with dismay in History classes how our teritories, forefathers, resources etc were split like cake in the 19th century in what was describe as "Scramble for Africa" by Europeans. This was largely done by deploying of armed forces to safegaurd strategic interests of the west.

The same is about to happen in our generation and people are talking about the US being the greatest aid donnor to Africa. Only those who do not know the nitty-gritty of aid agreements will celebrate it. Aid agreements can only be compared to your insurance documents where the few good things are written in Large and Bold fonts while the consequences and shackles to obtaining full support in the event of an accident is written in smaller and dodgy fonts.

America will remain allies to Nigeria, but our relations must be reviewed to a symbiotic one not the present parasitic one. When Dr Rilwanu Lukman and his team announced that FG will review the activities of companies like Shell and Exxonmobil, I thought that was great. This present news that our govt will not back a US base anywhere in West Africa is the best Foreign Policy I have heard from a Nigerian Government since I was born.

America is welcomed to do business with Nigeria anytime anyday. But Military base? Unacceptable!!!!!!!

@Kobo
Tell me why America should have Military bases in other countries and no one else will have military bases in theirs
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 12:27pm On Nov 21, 2007
McKren:

As long as Nigeria, South Africa and Lybia are opposed to it. This proposal will obviously go no where.

Africom needs only one host country.Personnel to man it will take about 2000 Americans.So the consent of the above is irrelevant.I hope you do not share the Nigerian delusion of grandeur.Nigerian opinion doesn't matter when France has built military bases in many parts of Africa.

If you can't stop France,you won't stop the US.

How does having US military bases shackle our development.US military bases in S.Korea,Japan and Germany didn't impoverish those nations.There are US military bases in Britain,is Britain impoverished.

Tell me why America should have Military bases in other countries and no one else will have military bases in theirs?

Don't cry more than the bereaved,many countries lobby the US to establish military bases in their country.In today's world,its a matter of consent.If a country consents to have US bases in theirs,especially those that lobby for it,its their prerogative.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 12:31pm On Nov 21, 2007
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 12:44pm On Nov 21, 2007
RichyBlacK:

The Germans and the Japanese (part of the old Axis of Evil) have moved away from the now archaic military-centric mindset of the Americans, focusing on making more efficient machines - Benz, Toyota, etc. than the Americans - Ford, et. Now they (Americans) are looking for new places to expand the deployment of their arsenal of mass murder?

I know that it will not be in my lifetime that I will see a GI with an Oklahoma accent patrolling Mile 2, Lagos. No matter what happens in Nigeria, we must never allow the evil tentacles of the American military-industrial complex extend to our fatherland! Not in my lifetime; not in my grand-children's lifetime.

You talk more drivel than anyone on this forum.What has Benz and Toyota to do with the US military?Between West Germany and East Germany,which nation grew richer and more industrialised? Where the US bases not in West Germany?

Between South Korea and North Korea,which nation is more industrialised and richer?And which one of them hosts US bases? If there is a correlation between permanent US bases and long term prosperity,we can see for our selves the verdict of history.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 12:49pm On Nov 21, 2007
McKren:

When Dr Rilwanu Lukman and his team announced that FG will review the activities of companies like Shell and Exxonmobil, I thought that was great.

Even greater will be investigating the corruption cesspool called NNPC.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 12:59pm On Nov 21, 2007
I-man:

You talk more drivel than anyone on this forum.What has Benz and Toyota to do with the US military?Between West Germany and East Germany,which nation grew richer and more industrialised? Where the US bases not in West Germany?

Between South Korea and North Korea,which nation is more industrialised and richer?And which one of them hosts US bases? If there is a correlation between permanent US bases and long term prosperity,we can see for our selves the verdict of history.

See mumu. So, you'll vote for a US base in Nigeria? Thank God your sorry ass is far away in some shit-hole in Soho. Nigeria is better off with oyinbo wanabees like you.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2007
@RichyBlack

I'm sure you must be paid for stupidity.Nobody can be this stupid without some financial rewards.Toyota and US military bases. . . .in the world of retards. . .there is no limit to the juxtaposition of issues.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 1:22pm On Nov 21, 2007
I-man:

@RichyBlack

I'm sure you must be paid for stupidity.Nobody can be this stupid without some financial rewards.Toyota and US military bases. . . .in the world of retards. . .there is no limit to the juxtaposition of issues.

@I-man,

I'm sure you pay people to hide your stupidity. But you can't pay me enough. You're stupid and that remains a fact.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by bgees(m): 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2007
I'm not anti-american,but d idea of a U.S Military base is disturbing.i see it endangering lives and property in nigeria.you they have made lots of enemies and who knows their primary objectives.
They keeping saying they want to help africa but this obviously a wrong approach.
We need schools,banks,factnries and training institutes not military bases.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by DisGuy: 2:38pm On Nov 21, 2007
he arguments put forward by the United States to justify its project for a missile defence base in Eastern Europe are becoming less and less convincing to public opinion and experts of the countries involved.

The United States intends to set up an anti-missile base in Poland and a radar control center in the Czech Republic as part of its National Missile Defence (NMD) programme by 2011. The plan is supported by both the Polish and Czech governments.

Germany, Britain and Canada have rejected hosting elements of the US. system.

Polls suggest the majority of Czechs and Poles are opposed to the base out of fear of turning their countries into supporters of Washington's controversial Middle East policy and into targets of terrorism.

Those in favour expect economic benefits and argue the base will increase the countries' security and prestige while reinforcing their alliance with the United States.

The justification advanced by Washington for the base is that it will protect the Western world from missile attacks originating in such "rough states" as North Korea or Iran. -yea right

The Polish government is reportedly putting forth a set of demands, including participation in development, military aid, and an upgrading of the United States's visa policy towards its citizens.

The Czechs have been accused of political naivety for simply counting on economic and political benefits, though Prague hopes to obtain similar benefits in visa policy.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines07/0219-02.htm

they don't have to build a base in Nigeria for us to reject it, I'm very sure they've offered to tongue
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Nov 21, 2007
bgees:

I'm not anti-american,but d idea of a US Military base is disturbing.i see it endangering lives and property in nigeria.you they have made lots of enemies and who knows their primary objectives.
They keeping saying they want to help africa but this obviously a wrong approach.
We need schools,banks,factnries and training institutes not military bases.

Actually, they never really said anything about HELPING AFRICA, we are the ones IMAGINING that whole bit up on our own. Infact, if you want to be realistic you will realize that we have been the ones endangering our own lives and properties both in nigeria and the whole of Africa from the beginning. Africa's problem is of africa's own hand. Why not try to shift it to America just cause they say they want to build a base?? Why should America be concerned with building schools, banks, factories and training institutes for africa when they never said in any way they were coming to do Africa's job for her?? Why do we keep mixing two completely different things up. A base is a base. America already contributes Billions in AIDS to africa yearly. Do we now need America to come push the food down our throat?? na wa ooo!!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:56pm On Nov 21, 2007
McKren:

The acceptance by Liberia is not necessarily suprising as their declaration only came roughly about a week after US granted them debt relief. They can mortgage their future if they wish, we can only wish them luck.

We all learnt with dismay in History classes how our teritories, forefathers, resources etc were split like cake in the 19th century in what was describe as "Scramble for Africa" by Europeans. This was largely done by deploying of armed forces to safegaurd strategic interests of the west.

The same is about to happen in our generation and people are talking about the US being the greatest aid donnor to Africa. Only those who do not know the nitty-gritty of aid agreements will celebrate it. Aid agreements can only be compared to your insurance documents where the few good things are written in Large and Bold fonts while the consequences and shackles to obtaining full support in the event of an accident is written in smaller and dodgy fonts.

America will remain allies to Nigeria, but our relations must be reviewed to a symbiotic one not the present parasitic one. When Dr Rilwanu Lukman and his team announced that FG will review the activities of companies like Shell and Exxonmobil, I thought that was great. This present news that our govt will not back a US base anywhere in West Africa is the best Foreign Policy I have heard from a Nigerian Government since I was born.

America is welcomed to do business with Nigeria anytime anyday. But Military base? Unacceptable!!!!!!!

@Kobo
Tell me why America should have Military bases in other countries and no one else will have military bases in theirs

America already told you it's reasons for wanting the base in Africa. It is up to Africa to say yes or NO. If Nigeria wanted a base in America, Nigeria is FREE to subject a request for such and America is free to answer Nigeria.

American soldiers currently fly to Nigeria most every other month, if I am not mistaken to TRAIN Nigerian military soldiers.
America already does business with Nigeria, infact, more comes in to Nigerian from America than actually goes out of Nigeria to America.

Suddenly the words of Dr Rilwanu Lukman mean much today?? That man has been in various ministerial posts and have been moved around from one ministry to another, and not really changed things much in the country. All of a sudden, now he is credible and should be listened to?? WOW,

America's move for a base has NOTHING TO DO WITH IMPROVING africa's or Nigeria's economy. I believe we need to get that in our heads first and maybe the paranoia will go away and people will actually see this for what it really is and not all the extra attachments we continually try to attach to stories. This same country has bases in Japan, in Germany, in Saudi Arabia; countries that are powerful and yet not a single problem. Now a mention of a Base in Africa is suddenly about FEAR AND TERROR?? JEEEEEZZZZZ

Who can do worse to us than what we have done to ourselves over the past 47 years alone??
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by uspry1(f): 3:17pm On Nov 21, 2007
Read this information below from cited source: http://www.africom.mil/AboutAFRICOM.asp WHAT IS AFRICOM ALL ABOUT?

What is AFRICOM?
The United States Africa Command, also known as AFRICOM, is a new U.S. military headquarters devoted solely to Africa. AFRICOM is the result of an internal reorganization of the U.S. military command structure, creating one administrative headquarters that is responsible to the Secretary of Defense for U.S. military relations with 53 African countries

What is U.S. Africa Command designed to do?
U.S. Africa Command will better enable the Department of Defense and other elements of the U.S. government to work in concert and with partners to achieve a more stable environment in which political and economic growth can take place. U.S. Africa Command is consolidating the efforts of three existing headquarters commands into one that is focused solely on Africa and helping to coordinate US government contributions on the continent.

What is Africa Command’s focus?
Unlike traditional Unified Commands, Africa Command will focus on war prevention rather than war-fighting. Africa Command intends to work with African nations and African organizations to build regional security and crisis-response capacity in support of U.S. government efforts in Africa. Through October 2008, Africa Command will gradually assume control over existing U.S. government programs, currently administered by U.S. Central Command, U.S. European Command and U.S. Pacific Command.

Why is the Department of Defense creating the command?
Africa is growing in military, strategic and economic importance in global affairs. However, many nations on the African continent continue to rely on the international community for assistance with security concerns. From the U.S. perspective, it makes strategic sense to help build the capability for African partners, and organizations such as the Africa Standby Force, to take the lead in establishing a secure environment. This security will, in turn, set the groundwork for increased political stability and economic growth.

Is the United States consulting with African nations and regional organizations on Africa Command?
The United States has consulted extensively with African governments, the African Union and others. The United States plans to continue these consultations to ensure concerns are addressed.

Does AFRICOM threaten the sovereignty of other nations?
No. U.S. Africa Command will in no way infringe on the sovereignty of any African nation.

What is the timeline for establishing Africa Command?
On October 1, 2007, U.S. Africa Command was established as a sub-unified command, subordinate to U.S. European Command. As a sub-unified command, U.S. Africa Command continues to report to European Command. President Bush has authorized and directed the establishment of AFRICOM as a separate unified Africa Command no later than the end of Fiscal Year 2008, which ends September 30, 2008.

What does Initial Operating Capability (IOC) mean?
On October 1, 2007, United States Africa Command achieved Initial Operating Capability (IOC). AFRICOM’s IOC marks a realignment of the U.S. Defense Department’s regional command structure. For its first year, AFRICOM will operate under U.S. European Command (EUCOM) as it progressively accepts oversight of the programs and activities that the U.S. military conducts with African nations.

Where will the command’s headquarters be located? Are you considering a location in Africa?
For now, U.S. Africa Command uses existing facilities at Kelley Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany. The U.S. government is deliberating with partner nations and the African Union to determine the best presence for U.S. Africa Command.

What kind of presence will AFRICOM have on the AFRICAN continent?
The presence issue is still very much a work in progress. We believe AFRICOM will be more effective if some members of the headquarters staff are physically living and working on the continent, where they can meet face-to-face with their counterparts in African governments and nongovernmental organizations.

Why is U.S. Africa Command in Germany? Is AFRICOM headquarters in Germany because it was not welcomed in Africa?
In February 2007, when the U.S. government announced the decision to create U.S. Africa Command, Kelley Barracks in Stuttgart, Germany, was named as the interim location while the headquarters is assembled and refined during a multiyear process.

U.S. European Command (EUCOM) is located in Stuttgart, Germany, and for several decades, EUCOM has coordinated U.S. military relations with the majority of African nations. When the decision was made to create a U.S. command for Africa, Stuttgart made sense as its initial location. The Kelley Barracks site makes use of existing facilities that have housed U.S. military administrative offices and headquarters staff for decades. The location is a few kilometers from EUCOM, allowing for specialists and administrative staff to closely coordinate during the transition. Kelley Barracks is a small urban compound on the outskirts of Stuttgart, the sixth largest city in Germany. The installation is next door to the headquarters of DaimlerChrysler, the automotive corporation. No decisions have been made about the command’s permanent location.

To whom will U.S. Africa Command report?
Established as a sub-unified command in October 2007, AFRICOM is subordinate to U.S. European Command during a yearlong transition period. After achieving full operational capability as a stand-alone unified command, the commander of Africa Command will report to the Secretary of Defense, as do all the other unified commanders in the Department of Defense. The U.S. Department of State will continue to be the primary U.S. government agency responsible for U.S. foreign policy and diplomacy. Ambassadors at U.S. Embassies in Africa will continue to be the President’s personal representatives to host-nation governments and international organizations. The U.S. Command in Africa will work closely with, and in support of, U.S. Embassies and diplomatic missions. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) will continue to be the lead U.S. agency for development and humanitarian activities.

What will its Area of Responsibility be?
U.S. Africa Command will be responsible to the Secretary of Defense for U.S. military relations with 53 African countries, including the Islands of Cape Verde, Equatorial Guinea and Sao Tome and Principe, and the Indian Ocean islands of Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, and Seychelles. U.S. Central Command will still maintain its traditional relationship with Egypt, but AFRICOM will coordinate with Egypt on issues relating to Africa security.

What is AFRICOM’s budget?
Standing up U.S. Africa Command cost approximately $50 million in the U.S. fiscal year that ended September 30, 2007. For Fiscal 2008 (October 1, 2007, to September 30, 2008), Africa Command is budgeted to receive $75.5 million.

Is the creation of U.S. Africa Command in response to recent events in Somalia or Darfur?
No. However, the crisis in Darfur and developing situation in Somalia do highlight the nature of the threats to African regional stability and security. U.S. Africa Command will consolidate the efforts of three commands into one focused solely on Africa and help coordinate US Government contributions on the continent. U.S. Africa Command will be designed to better enable the Department of Defense and other elements of the U.S. government, to work in concert and with partners to achieve a more stable environment in which 1) political and economic growth can take place and 2) humanitarian and development assistance can be used more effectively.

Is this an effort by the United States to gain access to natural resources (for example, petroleum)? Is this in response to Chinese activities in Africa?
No. Africa is growing in military, strategic and economic importance in global affairs. We are seeking more effective ways to bolster security on the continent, to prevent and respond to humanitarian crises, to improve cooperative efforts with African nations to stem transnational terrorism, and to sustain enduring efforts that contribute to African unity.

What role would U.S. troops have in African peacekeeping missions?
U.S. Africa Command’s focus will be to build capacity and capabilities among our African partners so that they are able to tackle Africa’s security challenges. We see U.S. Africa Command’s role to be a supporting role.

Does this mean there will be more deployments of U.S. forces to Africa?
The establishment of U.S. Africa Command will not directly result in changes to U.S. deployments. AFRICOM will not expand the U.S. Defense Department’s mission. Instead, it will focus on gaining more efficiency and effectiveness from existing U.S. resources. Existing programs and activities take place in consultation with the host nation partners in Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives / GEJ Launches Energy Saving Bulb To Conserve Power Supply / Buhari Presides Over Sixth Virtual FEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.