Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,916 members, 7,838,271 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Do You Have A Career Mentor? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do You Have A Career Mentor? (8152 Views)

5 Most Important Factors In Choosing A Career Mentor / In Need Of A Career Mentor In Electrical & Electronics Engineering. / Why You Need A Career Mentor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by bolaoni(m): 8:34am On Nov 23, 2007
aisha2,

COUNT ME IN!

Though I'm based in Lagos, something can still be done. When those
set of people are infected with the Positivity Syndrome, then we can
relax and be rest assured that Naija is getting greater day by day
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 9:05am On Nov 23, 2007
Alimondjoy,
Actually the boy have problem. I mean the JAMBite. He would never listen to suggestion about trade. Beside, I am yet to find a serious trade school in present day Nigeria that could be recommended. It is a shame that Nigeria focus more on University while other sectors are left to their fate. How sad for a nation desiring progress! Little wonder why hen, goats, and chicken are scrambling for university admision.

Indeed he was a brilliant chap. But he kept choosing competitive courses. Petroleum Engineering this year, Medicine next year. That was when I discovered him. I asked him why the choice of those courses and his reply was "there is money there"! Can you imagine?!

I pity him so I decided to guide him. I gave him assignment meant to help him discover what he "love" and not what he "want". I made him understand that success is not measure by money. I discovered he is sharp in commerce! He can succeed in it. But he went for Engineering!

And guess what? When the JAMB form came out again, he follow his friends' advice and choose a school I had asked him to avoid. I did so because the school always have high number of applicants. Frustrated, he started talking of "traveling out". He spurned the idea of going to vocational school etc. I immediately decided to place a "stop loss order" on him. Thanks to Dale Carngie.

Stop loss order, is a very effective way of halting a potentially useless undertaking. You are doing something, then you discover that you are getting negative results instead of the positive. What you would do is to place your order. Tell yourself you don't want to tolerate any lose beyond a certain limit.If the loss reach that level, then no deal.If it continues without any change after that allowable limit you placed, then "abort" before you are corrupted.That is my principle and it works for me.

So you have weakness for opposite sex, alimondjoy? Hahaha, let me apply too! I am a monk so you don't have to "fear the fear".

Seriously,
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 9:09am On Nov 23, 2007
Aisha2,
I was planning similar project. Can we work together? In fact, I'd written to one of my mentors to advise. You can email me and let make it a big project. We'll share idea. I hope we could.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 9:16am On Nov 23, 2007
And if you are online, Aisha2, send me an YIM i would chat you later.

Almondjoy, hope you don't forget the Yahoo? We'll pick it up no matter how slow.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 10:16am On Nov 23, 2007
Bolaoni
I dont fight no more o, stopped for a while now, I'm even taking adequate measures to curb a lot of practises that may lead to negative publicity.
I'm tired of Nairaland Drama.

Aisha, Ola
Nice Idea, count me in as a protege wink
I'm greatly interested.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 10:29am On Nov 23, 2007
Somze,
so what do you say of the distiction between greatness and success. Do you mind completing it?

By the way, have you any mentor before now?
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 10:44am On Nov 23, 2007
No i've not had a mentor . . . embarassed undecided
I'm heading for a meeting will reply when back
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 23, 2007
wow! this is a nice thread and i love it. . . . cheesy.

You guys are doing justice to the terms: "Mentoring", "Sponsorship", "Favouritism" etc.

Nice job. . . Kudos,  . .
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 11:14am On Nov 23, 2007
@bolaoni--
I did not say you were thinking anything ooooooooooooooooh! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  I was just pointing out the reasons why some mentoring processes fail.  People form other kinds of relationships that might not be beneficial to the mentoring process.  So I choose mostly female ones or old and ugly dudes so satan will not cause me to "think" impure thoughts.  That's all ooooooooooooooooooooooooh!  Hah! cheesy--Just kidding!

No I do not know about Somze's royal veins oh! cheesy He must be one of the chosen few then.  No need for mentor!

Thank you oh!  About the JAMB matter.  How can I mentor a person who has taken JAMB 5 times and still include that as one of the goals to be met? undecided  On account of the numerous disappointments, I already know this chap has to try something else or at least take a break.\ from the JAMB thing!

Yes we can make a difference one step at a time--but the enviroment has to be able to foster and nurture the change being made. If not you will always find yourself at "ground zero"! It is easier said than done!

aisha2:

I am working on a new project now which includes Mentoring to University students. Its a small scale project now but with more funding we will scale up our activities. In time we will need young Professionals who enjoy what they do to Volunteer as Mentors.
I always say to people My Generation is special, we are not going to be like any other Generation we will be a force to be reckoned with.

That is good!  But may I ask what long term and short term goals you have in this program--so I can get a sense of direction about it.  Mentoring University students to accomplish which sets of tasks?  Not trifling with the idea but just to educate myself on where I can participate or assist in that kind of program since  I believe that mentoring should be an educational process and should also start at the educational facilities.

@olanajim

I agree--everyone stresses education in Nigeria but not everyone is an academecian.  But due to the absence of alternative schooling, those who do not have any business taking JAMB waste their time and money investing in such misadventures.

No my dear--I don't have a weakness for the opposite sex! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy--It is just that I like to avoid trouble.  The society we live in now has too much madness in it. People have issues! Just don't want to be dragged into it.  Just to be cautious that's all.

No, olanajim-- I haven't forgotten the yahoo--will work on it this weekend. wink

somze:

Bolaoni
I[b] don't fight no more o, [/b] stopped for a while now, I'm even taking adequate measures to curb a lot of practises that may lead to negative publicity.
[b]I'm tired of Nairaland Drama.

[/b]Aisha, Ola
Nice Idea, count me in as a protege wink
I'm greatly interested.

Tell me about it.  cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin A refreshing change from "goat threads" grin

Isn't this nice?  Nairaland mentorship board springing up.  Let me know your goals, so I can see how I can help even if it is only by a little measure. I have participated in several programs of development in Nigeria and have no been pleased with the results so far.  Modalities----unfavorable to maintain a continuum.

So instead of committing to projects in vacuum, share some of the goals you want to work on in this type of project.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olagboye(m): 11:23am On Nov 23, 2007
Theodore Rosevolt said :" There comes a time in the life of a man when he has to decide if he will walk in the light  of creative altruism or in the darknness of destructive selfisshness. " I read some post in this thread and I must confess Ive never come across anything like this before on Nairaland. No matter how much people shy away from this topic, I believe it is too important to be ignored. Mentorship is very important and I believe if anybody wants to succceed at his chosen career he or she must take it very seriously. Though some dont know, mentorship is a two-way traffic. You most have a mentor that helps you to discover your potentials but you should also aspire to have a mentee also. Remember, oyu cannot succeed without having a successor. I recommend this book to everyone who cares to read it Millionaire Mentor
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 11:28am On Nov 23, 2007
Exactly! The problem is how to implement the mentoring process in Nigeria's educational system so that Nigerian students can have a better sense of direction after they live school. I believe this should start in the earliest years--Primary school! So it becomes a tradition like in most developed countries.

We need a lot of motivation in Nigeria to make students more productive and marketable after leaving school.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 23, 2007
Olanajim and Bolaoni, sent you a mail, we could talk more via e-mail. When you reply we would discuss more on the project
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 23, 2007
@almondjoy,
sorry am in the middle of a meeting, stealing out time to reply this. The projects aims at producing well grounded and can do Universt=ity students. They will be trained in Vocational skills, learn to Volunteer, i.e give back to society and will undergo a mentoring period under Young People who are focused on their careers not just jobs and who have made some head way, against all odds. Sorry my writting may be a bit incoherent am just rushing through, am about to make a presentation
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 12:24pm On Nov 23, 2007
Aisha2
I will check it right away.

Alimondjoy,
so back to your question. My springfield mentor was advising me on a Technology related programme, which I can't specify here but you'll get it on you YM. I have a long term goals that are broken into stages.

Unfortunately, alot of "debris" need to be cleared. No thank to Nigerian factor. We are taking slow but firm steps as I give her honest report from time to time.

She recently sent me some books to prepare me for the task ahead. I am still digesting them. Right now, I have broken down the process and the stage one is seriously under construction.

As for the other one the "adopted parent". I am interested in developing a stronger family value. I consider myself to be seriously in need of family ethics. Therefore I choose her! I have gained tremendously from this woman more than I ever learn from my biological parents! She is a great mother whose words of wisdom would ever remain in my mind. To make it more interesting, her children are known to me.

Hear her:

"GOD MEASURES THE PERSON WITH THE BURDEN HE PUT ON HIM. SO WHEN YOU FEEL YOUR LOAD IS HEAVIER THAN THE REST BE HAPPY FOR GOD SEES YOU STRONGER THAN THE REST!"

That was what she told me when I was in great pain over something. I follow through her lead and motherly advice and today, when I look back, I wonder how wonderful it is to have gone through it. I am wiser and stronger but still yearn for more.

As you are aware, family goal is forever! But you take a step at a time. Right now I know how to live if I won't marry. I know what to do if I end in marriage. I know what to do if I end in polygamy, though I don't want it. Whatever, however, we have to learn the golden rule of happiness and then practice it.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 12:35pm On Nov 23, 2007
Aisha2,
the email is oracle_nj@yahoo.com

i did not get the first mail. Kindly resend.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 12:37pm On Nov 23, 2007
almondjoy
you've been saying goat thead all the while, what are you talkin about?

i know of no such thread neither have i referred to anyone as that.

please clarify
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 23, 2007
sent it again, missed the under score
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by uche1(m): 12:45pm On Nov 23, 2007
Do not expect your Career Mentor to do all your hard work or solve your problems. Their role is to suggest different options, provide the broader perspective and facilitate your own workplace learning. Clarify your goals, and plan your mentoring with these in mind. Ensure your mentor understands what you hope to achieve together, but be flexible and open-minded
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 12:51pm On Nov 23, 2007
Aisha
I'm interested na, send me too . . . unless you want to handpick who you send to

uche1:

Do not expect your Career Mentor to do all your hard work or solve your problems. Their role is to suggest different options, provide the broader perspective and facilitate your own workplace learning. Clarify your goals, and plan your mentoring with these in mind. Ensure your mentor understands what you hope to achieve together, but be flexible and open-minded
I had not thought of this earlier but some folks may have this mentality . . . Ola called it favoritism, you may want to check that post.
I think the two are interrelated. Thanks, this is noted.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 23, 2007
outside of companies like PWC, mentoring is non existent in nigeria.

the best one can hope for is a boss that serves as a role model. since i left my last job, i'm yet to find one. . .there's no one who i can look to as a source of inspiration ( i'm not inspired by my superiors' competence or character)

i have occassioanly tried to provide guidance to IT students passing through -b ut i  was only successful with one. i like to beleive i was able to lay a sort of foundation in him- ie make him able to think for himself rather than rely heavily on others in aspects of the use and deployment of engineering software. . .unlike all other it students i've had under me, he knows how to use autocad. . and some other apps. i tell him its better he starts his career in a small company so that he can actually learn. a lot of engineers in large companies are underemployed , functioing as disconnected overseers rather than actual engineers. most of the it students chose only to master yahoo messenger and dating websites.

i probably need a mentor myself - i am no longer able to focus on my goals( masters , project management certification, expertise in 3D CAD design) or maybe i'm just making excuses.

all hail Naija, the country where you have to do it all by yourself smiley
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 12:52pm On Nov 23, 2007
Yeah Uche. What about you, can we share your experience? You need not mention name if you feel so but be practical.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2007
Somze sorry am not choosing but i checked for your email add its hidden
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by uche1(m): 1:04pm On Nov 23, 2007
ME AND ME UCHe grin lol

Lets look at it this way, Once you have identified your potential Career Mentor,  Begin by doing background research When you make contact, either in person or in writing, begin with positive feedback. Explain that you admire the way they have managed a project, or presented on a topic, for example, here on nairaland, The term ëmentorí can mean different things to different people, so donít ask ìcan you be my mentor?î Instead, make a specific request based on the goal you established earlier. Keep it simple, such as advice on a presentation, or help in making a career decision.

If there is something you can offer in exchange, let your potential mentor know. Perhaps it could involve some volunteer work (which will of course assist you, too), locating resources ñor offer to take them out to lunch in exchange for a chat. Mentoring works best when it's a reciprocal relationship.

Me and Aisha2 can work something out if she dont mind, i be boy shaaa
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 23, 2007
Oyb, how many companies have you been to for you to make such a general remark. True some organisations do not have mentors but some do. Its wrong to make general statements except you are sure of what you say.
A mentor is not a God Father, He/ She is just someone that provides some direction, and guideance.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 1:09pm On Nov 23, 2007
Aisha
I meant that in a good way, seeing I do not possess much experience in the mentoring line wink
k_ somze4 @ yahoo . com
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Nov 23, 2007
aisha 2, rest assured , I am not looking for a godfather.

I work in an indigenous oil company where a lot of people would probably want to work. its a corporate environment. Mentoring is not part of the corporate culture, and has never been. taking that company as a bench mark for several other indigenous corporations in nigeria (eg- the banks) i can assert to 70% that mentoring does not exist in the Nigerian Workplace.

godfathering does exist and is alive and flourishing in my company.

i should probably quit whining and get with the program.

brownose myself to a godfather grin
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 1:22pm On Nov 23, 2007
uche1:

ME AND ME UCHe grin lol

Lets look at it this way, Once you have identified your potential Career Mentor, Begin by doing background research When you make contact, either in person or in writing, begin with positive feedback. Explain that you admire the way they have managed a project, or presented on a topic, for example, here on nairaland, The term ëmentorí can mean different things to different people, so donít ask ìcan you be my mentor?î Instead, make a specific request based on the goal you established earlier. Keep it simple, such as advice on a presentation, or help in making a career decision.

If there is something you can offer in exchange, let your potential mentor know. Perhaps it could involve some volunteer work (which will of course assist you, too), locating resources ñor offer to take them out to lunch in exchange for a chat. Mentoring works best when it's a reciprocal relationship.

Me and Aisha2 can work something out if she don't mind, i be boy shaaa

ALWAYS PROVIDE LINK TO WHAT YOU POST IF YOU ARE NOT THE SOURCE
Thank you wink
The real source is from Alumni: The University of Melbourne
Once you have identified your potential Career Mentor, you will need to prepare carefully before approaching them. Begin by doing background research, as you would for an important job interview, so that you know their areas of interest and expertise. If possible, have a mutual friend or acquaintance introduce you, or use their name when introducing yourself. Alternatively, get involved with your potential mentor through your professional association.

When you make contact, either in person or in writing, begin with positive feedback. Explain that you admire the way they have managed a project, or presented on a topic, for example, and that you would like to learn from them. The term ëmentorí can mean different things to different people, so donít ask ìcan you be my mentor?î Instead, make a specific request based on the goal you established earlier. Keep it simple, such as advice on a presentation, or help in making a career decision.

http://www.unimelb.edu.au/alumni/Careers/Careers30Aug.htm
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by uche1(m): 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2007
me my self and i
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by ndubest(m): 1:27pm On Nov 23, 2007
@aish2 and oyb
this is a wonderul thread
please you guys should not start quarel here

sure mentoring is a good idea though not popular in nigeria at the moment

but we here in nairaland can start it and before you know it the culture will spread round

I CURRENTLY HAVE A MENTOR and AM MENTORING SOMEONE ALSO

its all about the popluar quotes one of my professors gave to my class when we were graduating

"GIVE FREELY OF THAT WISH COSTS YOU NOTHING"

though mentoring may cost you something like "your time" but its vital to give it freely

keep the good work up guys
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by julieto: 1:34pm On Nov 23, 2007
i dont have but i do learn from people around me,especially my colleague in the office.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by tofag: 1:58pm On Nov 23, 2007
I need a career mentor in the Human resources field plssssssssss.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 2:06pm On Nov 23, 2007
Aisha
No file was attached in the mail, you may want to resend it.

Thanks wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Deeper Life To Graduate 355 Skill Acquisition Participants / Job Vacancies / Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.