Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,061 members, 7,842,013 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Do You Have A Career Mentor? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do You Have A Career Mentor? (8155 Views)

5 Most Important Factors In Choosing A Career Mentor / In Need Of A Career Mentor In Electrical & Electronics Engineering. / Why You Need A Career Mentor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 4:14pm On Nov 24, 2007
somze:

Other countries with the same plans? yeah right tongue

Anyway issues are being deliberated and discussed behind the scenes wink

We are moving towards the intended direction. cool

Ola will get in touch with you wink

Good then! I will await the goodies with eager and enthused anticipation. I hope this is not turning into a secret society? grin
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by somze(f): 4:25pm On Nov 24, 2007
grin grin
Prepare to be . . . initiated cool
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 4:46pm On Nov 24, 2007
Almondjoy,
i recognize how busy you are. I would therefore make it short and straightforward.

You are right about the Nigerian factor. As for logistic, we would solve the problem. We would do our best to work it out.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by ifyalways(f): 4:51pm On Nov 24, 2007
olanajim:

Almondjoy,
i recognize how busy you are. I would therefore make it short and straightforward.

You are right about the Nigerian factor. As for logistic, we would solve the problem. We would do our best to work it out.
who are the WE ?some company or what ? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 4:59pm On Nov 24, 2007
Don't bother. They know themselves. Thanks.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 5:01pm On Nov 24, 2007
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 5:10pm On Nov 24, 2007
somze:

grin grin
Prepare to be . . . initiated cool

olanajim:

ifyalways:

who are the WE ?some company or what ? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO

I am beginning to feel like Jason Bourne already!

N-A-I-J-A!!!! Chineka Godddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!! cheesy

I think it is time to embark on a spiritual journey before this "initiation" process of "mentoring" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!! grin

Chai!--Ola please I will use you as my contact for now till I know who the "grand dragon" of this mentoring project is.

Ah-Ah? shocked
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 7:06pm On Nov 24, 2007
Yes Ma! Trust me. I'll follow the guidelines.

I'll contact you when I get further brief.

Now, on issue: there is a problem associated with meeting goals and attaining objectives. It stems from the concept of African Time. Initially, this only applies to parties, and other events. But now, it had transformed into a monster eating every fabric of our National life. Today, African Time had penertrated our educational institutions. Now, we spend minimum of 6 years for 4 year programme and so on. In business, it takes you at least 6 hour, for instance, to open a saving account if you are lucky. And to get a loan, you would have to go for special deliverance to meet your deadline.

What has "African Time" has to do with these? Poor Time Management naturally affect goal setting if we ever bother to set one.

What does this to do with mentoring? Alot! Mentoring is about aiming at a goal through the guardianship of someone with superior intelligence and exposure. Our concept of African Time is enemy of progress. To reach any goal on time using African Time philosophy is to drag progress in the sand of time.

A mentor/protege relationship is actually affected by time. No one want to commit to a goal that has no end.

How do you think we can overcome this malady of African Time? And what would you suggest as a mean of embracing Time management?

This may sound off topic, but I know it has merrrit
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by bolaoni(m): 12:21am On Nov 25, 2007
gteat job ola and somze. Keep this spirit up guys.

We are all awaiting Aisha's message. we may have to wait till Monday to have
her back on this thread. It's possible she accesses the Internet at the office.

But we can meet through YIM to still discuss ideas and other stuffs.

cheers
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 1:41am On Nov 25, 2007
bolaoni:

gteat job ola and somze. Keep this spirit up guys.

We are all awaiting Aisha's message. we may have to wait till Monday to have
her back on this thread. It's possible she accesses the Internet at the office.

But we can meet through YIM to still discuss ideas and other stuffs.

cheers

Yes, please keep us posted oh! wink
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Tammyo: 2:06am On Nov 25, 2007
Hello aisha2, been trying to get ur attention all week!pls i'm interested in that e-mail everyone's waiting for.thank u!
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 7:49am On Nov 25, 2007
Tammy o! Unfortunately, there is no special email anybody is waiting for. We were just communicating.

Bola oni, flash me when you are online.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 25, 2007
Hey Guys, am so sorry was in a meeting on friday and had to make a presentation. I left quite late and i try not to work on weekends try to make out time for my Nephew.
Will send you guys a mail now
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by vaadol: 11:14am On Nov 25, 2007
Mentoring to me is a life. I met a Porf. while i was in Vet sch in the university and the man linked me to another young dynamic lecturer who he is mentoring so i became a grandson to him (prof) and son to the mediate mentor(Lectuer). If not for these two people in my life i don't know where i would be now.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by knzguru(m): 11:03am On Nov 26, 2007
Has anyone heard of AGDC (after school graduate development center). Amongst other things, they provide a sructured mentoring program with some of Nigeria's leading professionals.

Check out their website - GRADDEV.COM
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 12:46pm On Nov 26, 2007
knzguru:

Has anyone heard of AGDC (after school graduate development center). Amongst other things, they provide a sructured mentoring program with some of Nigeria's leading professionals.

Check out their website - GRADDEV.COM

That is a UK based website. Any in Nigeria? undecided
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by bolaoni(m): 2:01pm On Nov 26, 2007
aisha,

Did you get the message I left for you on YIM.
Send all mails to the address I left there.

Waiting to hear from you.

Almondjoy, just give us some time to sort things out, ok?

smiley
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 26, 2007
I did not get your message. You could just reply me via email, we have been communicating with the others through email, send the address o my maail box
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by feeqtee(m): 7:47pm On Nov 26, 2007
I think u guyz are all doin good on this topic in this forum, can anyone be my mentor? I do not have a mentor.
I need one.
No disrespect.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 9:53pm On Nov 26, 2007
Feeqtee,
what kind of mentor do you seek? What kind of goal are you aiming at? What kind of person are you? Your mentor would be interested in those things. He want to be sure you won't mess up his time. Let hear you, who know someone may help you out.

I hope you understand that mentoring is not godfatherism. It helps to know in advance.

Alimondjoy,
I am not sure we have one here, but it is good to search.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 7:15am On Nov 27, 2007
We are waiting patiently. No rush. The most important thing is that the project is successful. Not how far but how well. Carry on please.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by feeqtee(m): 11:47am On Nov 27, 2007
olanajim,
thanks.

By the time i tell about myself, you'll understand what kind of mentor i seek.

About myself
I'm a young boy and into I.T (programming/web development) with Java (S.E, E.E) as my main strength,and very flexible.

My goal is to be an I.T professional (in view), but needs wealth of experience as i move on in the field.

I know mentoring is not godfatherism, just someone who's been and still in the programming field. I must tell it's hard all alone in the field.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by ikhideman(m): 6:46pm On Nov 27, 2007
Really gbadu this thread! Like you guys said, there's little traffic here because its aint part of our ubbringing.

Personally, i've always felt i needed a mentor & still need one. There're times i feel alone (presently in my service year Batch A) and would appreciate talking to someone experienced (mentor) so as to decide what direction my career would take.

I wish u guys could help me, given that some of u have had the privilege of experiencing mentoring.

I studied Accounting which i still have a flare for, have a couple of business ideas on which a mentor could guide me as to how i should go about actualising them,etc

Thanks, awaiting your response.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by ayomifull(f): 7:07pm On Nov 27, 2007
This is a very interesting topic and i am seeing it for the first time. I really do not mind the idea of having a mentor i have read through all your contributions and i think its something quite useful. Although i have had no problem working in a foreign land but i think its worth having one.
Now what i want to know is how one can get a mentor, i mean a proffessional mentor. I work as a customer service representative with an ISP company.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by bolaoni(m): 3:40pm On Nov 28, 2007
This is getting quite interesting. Now, the question is who is going to adopt who?

Almondjoy are you ready to help a sister based oversea?

So let the adoption process start now wink
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 5:02pm On Nov 28, 2007
bolaoni:

This is getting quite interesting. Now, the question is who is going to adopt who?

Almondjoy are you ready to help a sister based oversea?

So let the adoption process start now wink

Sure!  Let me know how I can help.  I have helped a few over here so no big problems at all.  What does she need? smiley

Once again, mentors do not find jobs for people.  They serve as motivators to give you tips on how to become better at what you "already do"!  Mentoring is not the same as an employment agency!

Some here are getting the mentoring process mixed up with job placement here.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by bolaoni(m): 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2007
ayomifull, where are you. Please state all you want to achieve here and you have somebody willing to help out wink

Where in oke okun (Oversea) are you based?
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by tikiGal(f): 6:31pm On Nov 28, 2007
@ almondjoy and olanalim,
hi, am a fresher on nairaland.intially i just come as a guest to read stuff but i registered because of the topic!
yes , u guys are right about young people espeacially fresh graduates like me  not knowing the difference between mentorship and favourism. i don't blame them, we hardly knw where to turn but some of us actually knw where we are headed.
for instance, i for one have alot of ideas flowing in my head and am not sure how to go about it.i just finished sch and  i am having a heck of time finding a defining line between my acquired skill and my talents!
mentorship is not our practice here in naija so whre does one turn to? the very busy adults we look up to? most people think because you are young , you're probably not as smart and all i want is just your experience, advice and  nudging!
i think this is a beautiful thread! but some naija youths needs HELP!
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by olanajim(m): 10:41am On Nov 29, 2007
Alimondjoy,
good inclusion. "Mentor do not find job for people". I hope the would be protegee get those important fact.

Bolaoni,
why not? Let those interested post their career brief here and we'll see what to say. As for the major project, we are working on them. It is better slow and effect than a rush project that wouldnt go beyond a year.

Alimondjoy,
still waiting for your email. I left a message for you last night, hope you get the content?
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by almondjoy(f): 6:35pm On Nov 29, 2007
olanajim:

Alimondjoy,
good inclusion. "Mentor do not find job for people". I hope the would be protegee get those important fact.

Bolaoni,
why not? Let those interested post their career brief here and we'll see what to say. As for the major project, we are working on them. It is better slow and effect than a rush project that wouldnt go beyond a year.

Alimondjoy,
still waiting for your email. I left a message for you last night, hope you get the content?

Okay! Will check it and get back to you! kiss
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by ayomifull(f): 2:39pm On Nov 30, 2007
@bolaoni thanks a lot, i live in Dublin, I work as a customer care representative in an ISP, i should be on the rte 6 o'clock news on thursday and you can see where i work and the kind of work i do if you can watch that news over the net on rte.ie. Hope to hear from you, thanks again.
Re: Do You Have A Career Mentor? by bolaoni(m): 3:33pm On Dec 02, 2007
Sorry guys, I have been away from the net for some days and has not been able to catch up with developments.

Ayomiful, I saw this late and wasn't able to watch the news. Maybe you inform us when next you are going to appear. I also hope almondjoy will get in touch with you pretty soon.

Olanajim, how far with you and aisha. I am in Ilorin now and will get to you when I come
back later in the week wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Deeper Life To Graduate 355 Skill Acquisition Participants / Job Vacancies / Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.