Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,343 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! (1768 Views)

Enugu Port-Harcourt Rail System Takes Off / BOMB SHELL..!!!!! I Wont Complete Mono Rail Project Gov Amaechi / Test Run Of Port Harcourt Mono Rail (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by emindu: 10:06am On Jun 01, 2012
Umuahia — The face of transportation in Abia State is set to change as a Canadian firm,Globim Corporation has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Abia State Government to build monorail system of transportation to connect Aba and Umuahia.

Chairman of Globim, Dr Jude Igwemezie, who led a delegation to yesterday to seal the MoU, said their firm specializes in the construction and management of monorail.

According to him, the project would cost $1.6 billion and would be entirely funded by the firm as Abia government would only be required to provide the land, security and manpower.

He said when it becomes fully operational, the monorail would generate 4,000 jobs in Abia and 20, 000 jobs across the Southeast.

He said that aside from providing commuters an efficient and alternative means of transport, the monorail, which would be built to run at a height of nine metres, would eliminate road hazards like accidents and robbery.

Igwemezie explained that the company was interested in introducing the monorail transportation system in Abia and other cities in the Southeast zone and eventually the entire Southeast would be connected with monorail integrated mode of transportation.

He said Globim had already secured approval to build monorail in Onitsha, Enugu and Calabar and assured the governor that they will provide the funding and expects the government to provide labour and security to them.

Governor Theodore Orji, who was visibly elated over the prospect of having the monorail running in his state, said after signing the MoU that the novel project was much acceptable to his government.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201205200195.html

Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Kobojunkie: 10:09am On Jun 01, 2012
[b]Mono[/b]Rail again?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Is it just me or do these people not realize that cities are not built on [b]mono[/b]rails?
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by emindu: 10:54am On Jun 01, 2012
this is a welcome development that WILL improve the level of the economic growth in abia state and will attract so many investors to come down to abia and invest . this will also reduce the cost of transportation and increase the level of massive development in the state. what a nice initiative from our beloved governor of abia state chief T.A.Orji. may God continue to strengthen him and put more grease to his elbow.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Kobojunkie: 11:12am On Jun 01, 2012
an expensive monorail will do that? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by kegikwanu(m): 1:36pm On Jun 01, 2012
monorail and economic growth? how can? can monorail carry goods? monrail without steady power supply LOL
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by jason123: 1:47pm On Jun 01, 2012
This is getting ridiculous. grin grin grin
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by jason123: 1:48pm On Jun 01, 2012
No be only monorail, what about high speed train?! Wasted political propaganda.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by chiozor: 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2012
@op
are u ok at all??
i just wonder what is ur age
angry
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by wesley80(m): 2:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
kegikwanu: monorail and economic growth? how can? can monorail carry goods? monrail without steady power supply LOL

Steady power supply is not a big deal, most parts of the country may not have steady power just yet but that doesn't mean the entire country lacks steady power.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Pozzy(m): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
emindu: Umuahia — The face of transportation in Abia State is set to change as a Canadian firm,Globim Corporation has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Abia State Government to build monorail system of transportation to connect Aba and Umuahia.

Chairman of Globim, Dr Jude Igwemezie, who led a delegation to yesterday to seal the MoU, said their firm specializes in the construction and management of monorail.

According to him, the project would cost $1.6 billion and would be entirely funded by the firm as Abia government would only be required to provide the land, security and manpower.

He said when it becomes fully operational, the monorail would generate 4,000 jobs in Abia and 20, 000 jobs across the Southeast.

He said that aside from providing commuters an efficient and alternative means of transport, the monorail, which would be built to run at a height of nine metres, would eliminate road hazards like accidents and robbery.

Igwemezie explained that the company was interested in introducing the monorail transportation system in Abia and other cities in the Southeast zone and eventually the entire Southeast would be connected with monorail integrated mode of transportation.

He said Globim had already secured approval to build monorail in Onitsha, Enugu and Calabar and assured the governor that they will provide the funding and expects the government to provide labour and security to them.

Governor Theodore Orji, who was visibly elated over the prospect of having the monorail running in his state, said after signing the MoU that the novel project was much acceptable to his government.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201205200195.html

@Emindu.. do you get paid for posting article for T.A. Orji
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by ak47mann(m): 4:57pm On Jun 01, 2012
OP TA ORJI should let people talk for him not posting videos and pixs all over internet praising himself grin check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEgOTnb5lE

and why does he used music that sound like a gospel song to show case his work cheesy is he now the messiah? but i like the song thou smiley smiley
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by ak47mann(m): 5:06pm On Jun 01, 2012
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by ak47mann(m): 7:36pm On Jun 01, 2012
abia state transmission 2x40MVA, 132/33KV build by federal govt

Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by manny4life(m): 11:46pm On Jun 01, 2012
I feel like slapping ALL this governors front, back and center. Monorail AGAIN? Like WTF? angry angry angry

Have someone EVER thought of building an intercity rail or metro, like seriously, this stupidity needs to stop. We need regional rail integration of all SE states and they are here wasting money on stu/pid sh/it. BTW, this same GLOBIM, I'm beginning to suspect this company. Their Onitsha proposal isn't even viable, the one for Enugu, the last contract proposal for work closed last week Thursday, they've not even started NOW they're in Abia. Can our governors get reputable corporations to handle this task...like Jeez, what's wrong with this dumb heads? angry angry angry
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by doctokwus: 9:26am On Jun 02, 2012
Soon as I saw '$1.6b cost to be solely funded by d company',I knew dis project is nothing but a farce.Where wud dey get dat amt frm,whc bank wud gv out such loan for a project only hurriedly conceived in a beer pallor wt some abia state govt officials? Wonder y dey feel pple are still gullible.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:41am On Jun 02, 2012
manny4life: I feel like slapping ALL this governors front, back and center. Monorail AGAIN? Like WTF? angry angry angry

Have someone EVER thought of building an intercity rail or metro, like seriously, this stupidity needs to stop. We need regional rail integration of all SE states and they are here wasting money on stu/pid sh/it. BTW, this same GLOBIM, I'm beginning to suspect this company. Their Onitsha proposal isn't even viable, the one for Enugu, the last contract proposal for work closed last week Thursday, they've not even started NOW they're in Abia. Can our governors get reputable corporations to handle this task...like Jeez, what's wrong with this dumb heads? angry angry angry

doctokwus: Soon as I saw '$1.6b cost to be solely funded by d company',I knew dis project is nothing but a farce.Where wud dey get dat amt frm,whc bank wud gv out such loan for a project only hurriedly conceived in a beer pallor wt some abia state govt officials? Wonder y dey feel pple are still gullible.

^^^I'm in tune with the sentiments expressed above. Having seen the Port Harcourt one stalled for whatever reason (inspite of their vastly superior revenue profile), i'm taking this Abia one with a truckload of salt. And as manny4life pointed out, it would have been better if the South East (SE) Governors had an intergrated/joined-up approach towards this rail transportation thing: pooling their resources together to sign one contract with a reputable firm (on a PPP basis) would have been better. But then again, i guess i'm expecting too much from a Governor that thought it was acceptable to send packing his kith and kin from other states that were employed in his civil service; such an intergrated-development approach would sound like rubbish to him since he can't bask alone in the 'glory' of bringing rail transport to his people; and this could also be the same thinking of other Governors in the SE who are too individualistic minded and can't think beyond their states for the greater good of Ndigbo as a nation.

I used to be excited by all this monorail shi.t, but no more, especially when i see this globim guys signing MOU's all over the place with nothing concrete on ground to show seriousness.

AK47 nwanna, your efforts at trying to launder Ochendos' image are quite laudable, and you get 100% for said effort. But i'm afraid you're flogging a dead horse.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by ak47mann(m): 1:42pm On Jun 02, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^I'm in tune with the sentiments expressed above. Having seen the Port Harcourt one stalled for whatever reason (inspite of their vastly superior revenue profile), i'm taking this Abia one with a truckload of salt. And as manny4life pointed out, it would have been better if the South East (SE) Governors had an intergrated/joined-up approach towards this rail transportation thing: pooling their resources together to sign one contract with a reputable firm (on a PPP basis) would have been better. But then again, i guess i'm expecting too much from a Governor that thought it was acceptable to send packing his kith and kin from other states that were employed in his civil service; such an intergrated-development approach would sound like rubbish to him since he can't bask alone in the 'glory' of bringing rail transport to his people; and this could also be the same thinking of other Governors in the SE who are too individualistic minded and can't think beyond their states for the greater good of Ndigbo as a nation.

I used to be excited by all this monorail shi.t, but no more, especially when i see this globim guys signing MOU's all over the place with nothing concrete on ground to show seriousness.

AK47 nwanna, your efforts at trying to launder Ochendos' image are quite laudable, and you get 100% for said effort. But i'm afraid you're flogging a dead horse.
heheheh nwa afo, am not in support of ochendo at all, to me,he should leave for better brains to governed abia state he dey fuccckk up coolwell he is a Nigerian product if it was for alaigbo alone he will not last one week on that seat.........................
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 02, 2012
ROTFLMAO

Other states are talking monorail, Abia state too dey talk monorail.

I know the colour of this elephant. . . . . .I believe it is white!
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2012
OMO IBO: ROTFLMAO

Other states are talking monorail, Abia state too dey talk monorail.

I know the colour of this elephant. . . . . .I believe it is white!

Other states should not be talking of monorail either. I don't know if you understand the different between a monorail system and a regular/passenger rail system. They are not the same, and Monorails do not grow countries. If anything, they are used mainly for tourism and for small areas, not for major transportation in cities or states.

What is the sense in sinking over a billion dollars of money that could go to building a near solid passenger rail system into a few kilometers of monorail that transports about 200 people at a time?
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 02, 2012
LOL
Kobojunkie, e jo, fi mi le oo.

I no get strength for you today.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by otokx(m): 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2012
There are so many white elephants in Nigeria and they are now reproducing like a virus.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by manny4life(m): 3:20pm On Jun 02, 2012
To be honest, I have thoroughly looked through this issue, calculated numbers based upon what they have reported, and honestly, I DON'T SEE THIS AS AS VIABLE PROJECT. Like really, Monorail should NEVER be used to reduce traffic, that's why we have intercity metro rail systems. Rails which are medium rails, that can share track with Cargo trains as well as grant an "Open Access" authority from other neighboring cities to share same track when not in use.

I have to agree with Kobo on this one, when I have the time, I will write my own argument why I seriously OPPOSE this monorail idea. I will put forth my calculations up for criticism so people can see why this isn't a viable option AT ALL.

PROUD-IGBO:

You see the bold portion, that was my concern as well, I have tried to play with the numbers on their website, and honestly, this company isn't truthful at all. It's either they are lying to folks, or simply trying to garner whatever the fu/ck it is they want to. Where the hell will they get

1. Enugu Monorail - $305million

2. Onitsha Monorail - $503million

3. Abia Monorail - $1.6billion

Total package - $2.408 billion, like seriously, who will give them such financing on "MONORAIL"? Not even medium, heavy or even High Speed Rail, it's monorail. These governors are either stu/pid or plain ignorant.
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Jun 02, 2012
The company, Globim International probably needs to be investigated. Do these Governors have shares in said company, or is this some avenue to loot? I mean I don't understand this fancy for monorails in states where yearly flood erosion continue to consume much of the existing lands and road systems. grin
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by kegikwanu(m): 7:28pm On Jun 02, 2012
yet another means of washing money....
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 02, 2012
Ah! Ochendo sef want to collect 'pension'. cheesy
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by babapupa: 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2012
Another monorail? Is the entire iboland doing blind follow follow or its the same lack of imagination, vision and originality?
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by ak47mann(m): 9:18pm On Jun 02, 2012
babapupa: Another monorail? Is the entire iboland doing blind follow follow or its the same lack of imagination, vision and originality?
eko ile i thought that the oil in ur soup have corrected some damaged cells in ur oily brain coolor no hope at all? sad
Re: Canadian Firm Signs Mou With Abia State Government To Build Mono-rail System! by manny4life(m): 9:21pm On Jun 02, 2012
babapupa: Another monorail? Is the entire iboland doing blind follow follow or its the same lack of imagination, vision and originality?

My friend MYOB for once, was the thread about you? undecided undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

Pictures: Poor Maintenance And Deterioration Of The Abuja National Stadium / GEJ/PDP Witch-hunt:efcc Arrests Kano Assembly Speaker, Seven Other Members / University Lecturer Dresses In Ebola Suit To Lecture His Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.