Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:09 AM

Where Was Daniel? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Was Daniel? (5361 Views)

''Jesus' Holiness, Saint Daniel MyeriJesu'' (A Reverend's Change Of Name) / Where Was Daniel When Shedrack, Meshack & Abednego Were Flung Into The Furnace? / Stones Of Fire: Courtesy Of Dr. Daniel K. Olukoya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 9:19am On Jun 03, 2012
I was reading the book of Daniel and I saw that when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were cast into the furnace for not bowing down to the golden image, Daniel or rather Belteshazzar was not with them. My question is: was he not in the city or if he was, did he bow with the others?
Another question: Is Nebuchadnezzar, the first mad man in the bible?
And finally, the handwriting on the wall during the reign of King Belshazzar read MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN, why then did Daniel interprete MENE MENE TEKEL 'PERES'?
I would be grateful if I have the inputs from the regulars...
Re: Where Was Daniel? by LogicMind: 10:31am On Jun 03, 2012
Your second question about mad men in the bible is very interesting. How would you describe a mad man?
For me, if I see a man/woman planning or doing one of the following actions, I will immediately refer him/her to the nearest psychiatric hospital.
- running around naked
- talking to a snake
- offering his daughters to a'nal rap.ists
- preparing his son to sacrifice as sallah ram
- talking to a burning bush
- talking to a donkey
- talking to the sun
etc.

3 Likes

Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 10:58am On Jun 03, 2012
@Logic Mind: lol! I am seeking answers and not out for a debate...but very funny though
Re: Where Was Daniel? by buzugee(m): 11:18am On Jun 03, 2012
Enoquin: I was reading the book of Daniel and I saw that when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were cast into the furnace for not bowing down to the golden image, Daniel or rather Belteshazzar was not with them. My question is: was he not in the city or if he was, did he bow with the others?
And finally, the handwriting on the wall during the reign of King Belshazzar read MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN, why then did Daniel interprete MENE MENE TEKEL 'PERES'?
I believe the first mad man in the bible was cain. how you kill your brother and then when you are asked where your brother is, your reply is ' am i my brothers keeper' that sounds like a completely deranged sociopath lunatic to me lol

daniel stayed at the kings court while the other 3 were governing the provinces of babylon and the statute was set up in the provinces

the interpretation went as thus -numbered numbered weighed and divided ( not quite sure if this is the answer you expect )

1 Like

Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 2:13pm On Jun 03, 2012
@buzugee: double lol! If that is the case Adam takes the cake because his answer to God's question was totally out of point. I asked about Nebuchadnezzar because he ate grass..anyways that is not the main question: where was daniel? Surely if he was in the king's court, it should have been noticed that he didn't bow too. And why did he say 'PERES' instead of 'UPHARSIN' a totally different word?
Re: Where Was Daniel? by richjohn1(m): 10:42pm On Jun 03, 2012
my dear those questions have been in my mind since I was 6 years old grin hmm wish you the best trying to get answers~!
Re: Where Was Daniel? by eddy1977(m): 5:46am On Jun 04, 2012
Daniel was probably on a diplomatic trip. remember he was handpicked by the king because of his royal parentage and political skills.
he was definitely outside the kingdom during this dark period.

perhaps the lesson from this is that Daniel represents the body of christ in the rapture. we will not have to deal with the beast and it's mark. the three hebrew boys represent those who will go through the great tribulation.

this interpretation is consistent with revelation 7 and revelation 12,13.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 1:25pm On Jun 04, 2012
rich_john: my dear those questions have been in my mind since I was 6 years old grin hmm wish you the best trying to get answers~!

You were asking where Daniel was since 6 seriously? You had finished reading the book of Bible story and was pondering on Daniel? Hehehehehehe
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 2:50pm On Jun 04, 2012
eddy1977: Daniel was probably on a diplomatic trip. remember he was handpicked by the king because of his royal parentage and political skills.
he was definitely outside the kingdom during this dark period.

perhaps the lesson from this is that Daniel represents the body of christ in the rapture. we will not have to deal with the beast and it's mark. the three hebrew boys represent those who will go through the great tribulation.

this interpretation is consistent with revelation 7 and revelation 12,13.

Hmm...but the decree should have affected all the kingdoms of Nebuchadnezzar instead of just the capital...
Your depiction/comparism of the situation gives me food for thought though...even if you didn't answer the 2nd and most importantly the 3rd question...
Re: Where Was Daniel? by LogicMind: 3:06pm On Jun 04, 2012
Enoquin:

because he was a liar and a fraud.
just like the so called xtians: always twisting the truth to fit their narrative.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by richjohn1(m): 3:43am On Jun 05, 2012
@enoquin
not that I had finished reading d bible @ 6 as a child from a strong baptist home, av been exposed to bible stories so early my grand parents were pastors/missionaries
back to d subject, Daniel missing in dat story get comma, abi d guy fear "fear"? grin
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Image123(m): 9:15am On Jun 05, 2012
on the OP's first enquiry, there are many possibilities. They say its the person that passes that is called brilliant, and it's the one that is caught that is referred to as thief. It's possible Daniel was not around or within 'catching distance', vice versa with The Daniel in the lions' den event. Also note from the passage that it was a jealousy thing. The king did not see or notice them. it was bad belle people that went to specifically report them, but necessarily that they were the only ones in the whole world who did not bow.

1 Like

Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 7:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
@Image123: Kai! As funny as your version is, I think I prefer @eddy1997's answer of Daniel probably out of the country on a diplomatic trip. Reason being that you cannot simply be amongst the king's princes and councillors and stand amongst the crowd, all of the king's men would probably have stood in front...either of their ward or their 'constituency'...leadership by example
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2012
@rich_john:but fear no suppose catch fear na...you should have asked your missionary parents then or you could still ask now for clarification
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Image123(m): 2:09pm On Jun 06, 2012
Enoquin: @Image123: Kai! As funny as your version is, I think I prefer @eddy1997's answer of Daniel probably out of the country on a diplomatic trip. Reason being that you cannot simply be amongst the king's princes and councillors and stand amongst the crowd, all of the king's men would probably have stood in front...either of their ward or their 'constituency'...leadership by example
eddy1997's answer is a possibility which i think i stated as well. i then state the other possibility, which is that he probably was not caught. It's not only the governors or politicians or people under EFCC's list that are guilty or corrupt. daniel sat at the king's gate and was not the 'head of any ward or constituency' as it were. it was a privilege he passed up for his friends earlier.
Dan 2:48 Then the king made Daniel a great man, and gave him many great gifts, and made him ruler over the whole province of Babylon, and chief of the governors over all the wise men of Babylon.
Dan 2:49 Then Daniel requested of the king, and he set Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, over the affairs of the province of Babylon: but Daniel sat in the gate of the king.
He prefered to sit at the gate, even though he was given greater honour. Second is that the '3hebrew children' were not immediately noticed. It was some jealous folks that came to report them, just like daniel's case in the lions' den chapter. it was actually a plot in hatred of the Jews
Dan 3:8 Wherefore at that time certain Chaldeans came near, and accused the Jews.
Dan 3:12 There are certain Jews whom thou hast set over the affairs of the province of Babylon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego; these men, O king, have not regarded thee: they serve not thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
Dan 3:13 Then Nebuchadnezzar in his rage and fury commanded to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego. Then they brought these men before the king.
Dan 3:14 Nebuchadnezzar spoke and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?

It was not a thing the king spotted immediately everyone fell down and some 3 folks stuck out like a sore thumb. We are not talking about a school assembly here, we are referring to the Nebuchadnezan EMPIRE.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
Interesting discussions...really impressed...smiley
Re: Where Was Daniel? by tpia5: 8:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
The answer is found in the same bible you got the question from.

@ poster.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by tpia5: 8:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 9:00pm On Sep 20, 2012
tpia@:
The answer is found in the same bible you got the question from.

@ poster.

A pointer towards the verses where the answer is...would probably help; don't you think so?
Re: Where Was Daniel? by tpia5: 9:32pm On Sep 20, 2012
^its already been answered on the thread.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by aletheia(m): 9:51pm On Sep 20, 2012
Enoquin: I was reading the book of Daniel and I saw that when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were cast into the furnace for not bowing down to the golden image, Daniel or rather Belteshazzar was not with them. My question is: was he not in the city or if he was, did he bow with the others?
UPHARSIN and PERES are the same word in Chaldee (the language of Babylon).

And this is the writing that was written, MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN. (Dan 5:25)

PERES; Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians. (Dan 5:28)

. . .in the Hebrew OT the word translated Upharsin and Peres is Strong's H6537:
פּרס
peras (per-as')
(Chaldee); corresponding to H6536; to split up: - divide, [U-] pharsin.

The confusion arises because the translators translated it as you see in English. You can easily confirm what I have written.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Ay92(m): 10:37pm On Sep 20, 2012
The king turned to an animal and not a mad man
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Nobody: 12:36am On Sep 21, 2012

Please see Daniel 2:46-49. I believe the answer is in there. I'll take any questions you have.

Aletheia did a fantastic job answering this one.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 10:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
thor=aletheia]
UPHARSIN and PERES are the same word in Chaldee (the language of Babylon).

And this is the writing that was written, MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN. (Dan 5:25)

PERES; Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians. (Dan 5:28)

. . .in the Hebrew OT the word translated Upharsin and Peres is Strong's H6537:
פּרס
peras (per-as')
(Chaldee); corresponding to H6536; to split up: - divide, [U-] pharsin.

The confusion arises because the translators translated it as you see in English. You can easily confirm what I have written.[/quote]

Thanks...I will definitely check this and get back to you
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 10:45pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Please see Daniel 2:46-49. I believe the answer is in there. I'll take any questions you have.

Okay, I have seen Daniel 2: 46-49 and these are the important things I noted

*That the king was very pleased with Daniel after the interpretation and worshipped him
*He also made him ruler of all his province of Babylon
*And the Chief of the governors over all the wise men
*Daniel petitioned the king and the king set Shedrach, Meshach and Abednego over the affairs of the City
*Daniel sat at the gate

But then, it was in the preceeding chapter that the king built an image...and called all the rulers, governors, princes etc
*Daniel was he a ruler or not? If he was a ruler, would he have been exempted? If he was not but sat at the king's gate, don't you think he would have stuck out like a sore thumb? Not bowing when others were? And to think that the other three were also mini-rulers...

*Waiting for you to clear my confusion
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 10:47pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ay92: The king turned to an animal and not a mad man

Really? Like literally turned? Hahahahaha
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 22, 2012
Enoquin:

Okay, I have seen Daniel 2: 46-49 and these are the important things I noted

*That the king was very pleased with Daniel after the interpretation and worshipped him

Note what he said to Daniel after worshipping him. That's where your answer is.

*He also made him ruler of all his province of Babylon
*And the Chief of the governors over all the wise men
*Daniel petitioned the king and the king set Shedrach, Meshach and Abednego over the affairs of the City
*Daniel sat at the gate

This is not immediately relevant to your question.

But then, it was in the preceeding chapter that the king built an image...and called all the rulers, governors, princes etc

No, it's in the succeeding chapter.

*Daniel was he a ruler or not? If he was a ruler, would he have been exempted? If he was not but sat at the king's gate, don't you think he would have stuck out like a sore thumb? Not bowing when others were? And to think that the other three were also mini-rulers...

It wasn't Daniel's being a ruler that exempted him, nor was it his seating arrangement. It was Nebuchadnezzar's recognition of his God and his appreciation of the superiority and super-excellence of that God over all the others that he recognized.

*Waiting for you to clear my confusion

Hope I have now. Please let me know where I haven't.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Note what he said to Daniel after worshipping him. That's where your answer is.

This is not immediately relevant to your question.

No, it's in the succeeding chapter.

It wasn't Daniel's being a ruler that exempted him, nor was it his seating arrangement. It was Nebuchadnezzar's recognition of his God and his appreciation of the superiority and super-excellence of that God over all the others that he recognized.

Hope I have now. Please let me know where I haven't.

No sir, because his recognition of Daniel's God would by as an extension have touched on Shedrach, Meshach and Abednago...but it didn't. And he would have proclaimed to everyone that Daniel was not going to bow. Now if he didn't proclaim, someone would have reported it and he would have had no choice than to cast him into the furnace just like he did as regards the lion's den...

Thanks for your correction on the preceeding chapter thing...my thoughts were ahead of my fingers...

I hope I don't come across as argumentative oh...
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 22, 2012
Enoquin:

No sir, because his recognition of Daniel's God would by as an extension have touched on Shedrach, Meshach and Abednago...but it didn't.

Why? Did he know who they were?

And he would have proclaimed to everyone that Daniel was not going to bow.

What about his first declaration? Why do you consider it not enough?

Now if he didn't proclaim, someone would have reported it and he would have had no choice than to cast him into the furnace just like he did as regards the lion's den...

Please see my response above.

Thanks for your correction on the preceeding chapter thing...my thoughts were ahead of my fingers...

I hope I don't come across as argumentative oh...

I don't mind questions. And I don't mind arguments. I only have problems with dishonest arguments. And this one is not displaying features of dishonesty. . .yet. smiley
Re: Where Was Daniel? by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 29, 2012
@Enoquin

Hope I didn't scare you off, lady. Did you get the points in my questions? Hope you did.
Re: Where Was Daniel? by KDK(m): 2:36pm On Sep 30, 2012
Enoquin: I was reading the book of Daniel and I saw that when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were cast into the furnace for not bowing down to the golden image, Daniel or rather Belteshazzar was not with them. My question is: was he (Daniel) not in the city or if he was, did he bow with the others?
Praise God brethren. I am glad this topic was brought up. I believe i answered a similar question here ages back (if i remember correctly).
This was a question that was brought up while i was at the university of ibadan during our IVCU family meetings where we ask questions. So the president asked us to do some research and come back with answers from the bible. Different people gave different answers the following week but the one that was accepted by all including myself is what I will share with you because I believe only the Holy spirit could give such insight.

But before i start, permit me to humbly correct one mistake i noticed, Daniel sitting at the king'S gate does not mean Daniel took a lower position than his friends'. A gate as used in the bible like in the books of job, ezekiel, etc means a place where decisions are taken. most translations use 'court'.

The answer to the question is right there in the bible :
Daniel 2:46
Then King Nebuchadnezzar fell on his face, prostrate before Daniel, and commanded that they should present an offering and incense to him.

Babylon was the greatest empire in existence as at that time. Infact, King Nebuchadnezzar ruling the world and as such he bows to no man except his gods. By king Nebuchadnezzar bowing down to Daniel, he made Daniel a god hence he asked that an offering and incense should be presented to him.

What am I saying? All am saying is that King Nebuchadnezzar made Daniel a god and as such, when the golden image and other gods were being bowed to, Daniel needed not bow because he already attained the status of a god so he stood as a god.

I hope this threw some light. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Where Was Daniel? by Enoquin(f): 11:29pm On Oct 04, 2012
@KDK, @Ihedinobi @image123 have answered in the same way and that is quite enlightening. It is worth channeling my thoughts to.

Still shouldn't Daniel's god status have stopped the King from even attempting to throw him in the Lion's den?

@Ihedinobi: No, you didn't scare me off. I don't scare that easily...just didn't have the time and didn't want to drop a one-liner either...

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Journey To God Realization / The OLUMBA OLUMBA Story - Why He’s god / mm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.