Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity (984 Views)

Nigeria Protests Over Biafra Activist's Arrest - BBC / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Beaf: 1:54pm On Jun 03, 2012
[size=14pt]UNILAG: Yoruba leaders flay protests over renaming to MKO Varsity[/size]
On June 3, 2012 · In News
12:59 am
By Ola Ajayi, Ibadan

Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE) has described the protests that greeted the re-naming of the University of Lagos to Moshood Abiola University as uncalled for, saying President Goodluck Jonathan’s action was “a reward of remembrance to our heroes past”.

The Yoruba body said this just as it called on the Odua Peoples Congress, OPC, to be on red alert to prevent the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, from making incursion into Yoruba territory.

These were contained in a communique issued at the end of its National Executive Council meeting held in Ibadan on Friday.

The communique signed by the National Treasurer of the Council, Dr. Dejo Raimi, read, ”our civil defense mechanism such as OPC in the South-West should remain very alert in case of unimaginable spill over to any Yoruba nation”.

”We sympathize with the people that lost their lives and property in the Boko Haram episode and we advise our brothers in the North to tighten up their internal security so as to ensure the menace does not do much damage to life and property”.

The council also called on the Federal Government to review the security system in the country and make lives of people more secure so that investors who would not be doubtful about investing in the country.

On the deplorable condition of Lagos-Ibadan expressway, YCE made a fresh call on the Federal Government to give urgent attention to the road.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/unilag-yoruba-leaders-flay-protests-over-renaming-to-mko-varsity/
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Beaf: 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2012
Those who have ears, let them hear. cool
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by CuteTj(m): 3:53pm On Jun 03, 2012
All what these Yoruba leaders are concerned about is just the honouring of Abiola and nobody is against that because he truly deserves it but these Yoruba elders are not seeing Abiola for what he truly represented. The reason for the protests was because stakeholders of Unilag just can't bear the thought of the name and identity they have built for 50 years disappear just like that. If the FG truly want to honour Abiola because he stands for everything Democracy, then the following should have been considered; National Stadium Abuja, NASS Abuja, Eagle Square Abuja, Int. Airport Abuja e.t.c instead of Unilag that is in the SW and a college that Abiola was never recognised/associated with. By renaming Unilag, the FG still has not succeeded in honouring Abiola for what his struggle and death stands for. They have only made him seem like a tribal and not national figure. If Abiola is to be honoured, then he should be honoured PROPERLY.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by DaLover(m): 4:58pm On Jun 03, 2012
CuteTj: All what these Yoruba leaders are concerned about is just the honouring of Abiola and nobody is against that because he truly deserves it but these Yoruba elders are not seeing Abiola for what he truly represented. The reason for the protests was because stakeholders of Unilag just can't bear the thought of the name and identity they have built for 50 years disappear just like that. If the FG truly want to honour Abiola because he stands for everything Democracy, then the following should have been considered; National Stadium Abuja, NASS Abuja, Eagle Square Abuja, Int. Airport Abuja e.t.c instead of Unilag that is in the SW and a college that Abiola was never recognised/associated with. By renaming Unilag, the FG still has not succeeded in honouring Abiola for what his struggle and death stands for. They have only made him seem like a tribal and not national figure. If Abiola is to be honoured, then he should be honoured PROPERLY.

It is not for them to bear, they should be thinking about getting an education as a student or earning your pay as a worker there, the owner of the school has spoken so they should not block roads, set up bon fires, force people away from work etc...

Calling for other places to be named instead of Unilag is just outright arrogance on their part
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by CuteTj(m): 5:23pm On Jun 03, 2012
The fact still remains that 'the owner of the school' didn't go about it the right manner.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Beaf: 5:26pm On Jun 03, 2012
CuteTj: The fact still remains that 'the owner of the school' didn't go about it the right manner.

That is sentimental nonsense. All you guys are doing is seeing the egg is ending up in your faces and manufacturing a thousand ways to go about renaming in the "right manner."

GEJ renames. NASS ratifies. Period.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by UYCO: 6:40pm On Jun 03, 2012
These students are just exhibiting their stupidity and displaying the level of decadence in the Nigerian education system. Have they come to school to acquire the name or the certificate. What they should lay emphasis on is how to get good job after graduation.I weep for Nigerian students. Abiola died for the freedom they enjoy today.It is not a surprise because majority of students in the university today are below 18yrs and cannot understand what MKO meant to all lovers of democracy
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Ufeolorun(m): 6:58pm On Jun 03, 2012
Even weakened Afenifere carries more weight,so sorry Yoruba`council of[b] pdp [/b]elders grin.We can have our Lag and Abiola at the same time,that's what we want.
Shior!
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by mensdept: 7:05pm On Jun 03, 2012
Both the Yoruba old men and the young men and women in UNILAG are wasting time. Please why cant OPC say they are going to kill all the leaders in their area that have looted the public funds, or the students themselves?

Abiola was nothing more than a military contractor. He made a pact with the devils and thought he could outfox them. Of course his cowardly political brothers from his place, including "General" DIYA, kept moot until they too were consumed the same way Awo was when it came to NIGERIA.

Meanwhile there's a plane crash in the same town that the school is. Wetin you go do now?
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by CuteTj(m): 7:09pm On Jun 03, 2012
Beaf:

That is sentimental nonsense. All you guys are doing is seeing the egg is ending up in your faces and manufacturing a thousand ways to go about renaming in the "right manner."

the fact still remains that GEJ and you guys seem to be ignorant of the law. You guys should stop doing shoddy jobs.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Beaf: 7:16pm On Jun 03, 2012
CuteTj: the fact still remains that GEJ and you guys seem to be ignorant of the law. You guys should stop doing shoddy jobs.

This is the law, bro:
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by CuteTj(m): 7:18pm On Jun 03, 2012
Beaf:

i guess he didn't put that into consideration before. It won't be a smooth sail for GEJ on the floor of the house. I guess you didn't realise that his fortunes seem to be dwindling BADLY.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Beaf: 7:27pm On Jun 03, 2012
CuteTj: i guess he didn't put that into consideration before. It won't be a smooth sail for GEJ on the floor of the house. I guess you didn't realise that his fortunes seems to be dwindling BADLY.

Why do you think it won't be a smooth sail? There aren't many ACN members of the NASS.
Who outside ACN, do you think is going to vote against MKO's legacy for petty political gain?

Anytime I hear tales about GEJ's fortunes dwindling, I can be 90% certain that I am talking to someone who lives abroad.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by CuteTj(m): 7:34pm On Jun 03, 2012
Beaf:

Why do you think it won't be a smooth sail? There aren't many ACN members of the NASS.
Who outside ACN, do you think is going to vote against MKO's legacy for petty political gain?

Anytime I hear tales about GEJ's fortunes dwindling, I can be 90% certain that I am talking to someone who lives abroad.
i know how Nigeria was and i still know how it is. It is now clear that GEJ is surrounded by sycophants.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Beaf: 7:42pm On Jun 03, 2012
CuteTj: i know how Nigeria was and i still know how it is. It is now clear that GEJ is surrounded by sycophants.

So I was 100% right, enh?
Many of those abroad with the same sort of extreme opinions as yours are also either politians kids of move in the same circles as politicians kids.
There is a backlash against those uncouth souls that spat on MKO's legacy, if you don't know.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by babapupa: 8:06pm On Jun 03, 2012
PDP elders done receive their marching orders from abuja. Foolish clowns.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by CuteTj(m): 8:10pm On Jun 03, 2012
Is the simple truth 'extreme opinion'? I guess you have started enjoying Govt. money too. Yes, Abiola deserves to be honoured but your principal seems to be a professional in bungling goodwill. There are many areas your principal has performed poorly.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by CyberG: 8:52pm On Jun 03, 2012
It's a FACT that pea-brain Faffluck Jonagaffe is too stupi.d to even have been a primary school teacher talk less of a governor. Like we all know, the LAW is the law and Jonathan will have to wait until the national assembly debate a motion to change the name of UNILAG. I want Abiola to be so honored but in a way that reflects the national spread of his mandate and sacrifice while not destroying the foundation of the democracy - the people! the people!! and the people!!! Nigeria, if lead by a real leader and not fools like Jondaft, can build any institutions from ground-up to international prominence and recognition so let us have UNILAG and name a new federal university in Abuja or some other national asset in Abuja after Abiola! This is the way to go and for the fool.s shouting about Jona renames, NASS ratifies, it's all BS stupidity. The NASS in a democracy is not a rubber stamp for the executive. The principle of separation of powers in a democracy is sacrosanct and the NASS will have to consult with the people they represent to effect any policy. I hope they do the right thing and see the dumb shaite president suffer another embarrassment!
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Beaf: 1:25am On Jun 04, 2012
CuteTj: Is the simple truth 'extreme opinion'? I guess you have started enjoying Govt. money too. Yes, Abiola deserves to be honoured but your principal seems to be a professional in bungling goodwill. There are many areas your principal has performed poorly.

Please cut out the "your principal" crap, it doesn't make for intelligent conversation. I have no principal, or are you relaying the thoughts of your own principal, making you feel everyone is like you? Lets not annoy each other.

The reason I use the term "extreme opinion" is evident in the dogs post immediately above this one. It is mind boggling what anyone imagines such outbursts would achieve, aside from the sorts of utterly disgraceful scenes at Maulag; where those with contacts with Nigerians abroad acted in thoroughly despicable ways that have seen Yoruba elders begin to scramble for cover.

The closest description for what the unilag students did is, sacrilege. They spat on Nigeria's history, on June 12, on MKO and on the fundamental part Lagos played in the June 12 struggle.
The action of the students is an ode to the new loud emptiness everyone seems to be proud to exhibit these days. As one of those who battled on the streets for the June 12 cause, I feel betrayed, violated and shocked. Indeed, at the time, I battled on the streets shoulder to shoulder with brave Maulag students, eyeballing Abacha and daring the system.
Those were the days when the youth still had their heads firmly screwed on.

I posted this elsewhere about the importance of Lagos to June 12:

Beaf: GEJ can do anything he wishes with the name of Unilag Maulag.
If anyone deslikes it, they can build their own.

I am very happy Abiola has been immortalised.
He lived in Lagos, worked in Unilag, carried out the struggle in Lagos, was arrested in Lagos, many died for his mandate in Lagos, his wife Kudirat was shot dead in Lagos, Abiola's Concord newspaper house was burnt down and closed in Lagos, Alex Ibru was shot in Lagos over June 12, Guardian newspaper was burnt and closed in Lagos, Abacha attacked the BBC transmitter in Lagos.

Blood flowed like water in Lagos.

Many people don't know the gravity of the rejection of MKO. They really don't know.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by Akanbiedu(m): 8:44am On Jun 04, 2012
Ufeolorun: Even weakened Afenifere carries more weight,so sorry Yoruba`council of[b] pdp [/b]elders grin.We can have our Lag and Abiola at the same time,that's what we want.
Shior!

babapupa: PDP elders done receive their marching orders from abuja. Foolish clowns.
grin grin grin

Beaf: [size=14pt]UNILAG: Yoruba leaders flay protests over renaming to MKO Varsity[/size]
On June 3, 2012 · In News
12:59 am
By Ola Ajayi, Ibadan

Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE) has described the protests that greeted the re-naming of the University of Lagos to Moshood Abiola University as uncalled for, saying President Goodluck Jonathan’s action was “a reward of remembrance to our heroes past”.

The Yoruba body said this just as it called on the Odua Peoples Congress, OPC, to be on red alert to prevent the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, from making incursion into Yoruba territory.

These were contained in a communique issued at the end of its National Executive Council meeting held in Ibadan on Friday.

The communique signed by the National Treasurer of the Council, Dr. Dejo Raimi, read, ”[size=13pt]our civil defense mechanism such as OPC in the South-West should remain very alert in case of unimaginable spill over to any Yoruba nation”[/size].

”We sympathize with the people that lost their lives and property in the Boko Haram episode and we advise our brothers in the North to tighten up their internal security so as to ensure the menace does not do much damage to life and property”.

The council also called on the Federal Government to review the security system in the country and make lives of people more secure so that investors who would not be doubtful about investing in the country.

On the deplorable condition of Lagos-Ibadan expressway, YCE made a fresh call on the Federal Government to give urgent attention to the road.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/unilag-yoruba-leaders-flay-protests-over-renaming-to-mko-varsity/

These are indeed very foolish elders, imagine calling OPC to help combat BH.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by juman(m): 9:58am On Jun 04, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

grin grin grin

[b]
These are indeed very foolish elders, [/b]imagine calling OPC to help combat BH.

Yoruba council of Toddlers.

They represent nobody except themselves.

They are now talking about Ibadan-Lagos expressway, when their Oga OBJ was in power why cant he do the road, the very important road.

But their boss OBJ was sooo incense with hatred to the nation and Lagos in particular, he didn't achieve anything concrete in eight years.

Oh oh, Yoruba Council of Toddlers.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by juman(m): 10:01am On Jun 04, 2012
babapupa: PDP elders done receive their marching orders from abuja. Foolish clowns.

Good for nothing elders.
Re: UNILAG: Yoruba Leaders Flay Protests Over Renaming To MKO Varsity by PointB: 1:35pm On Jun 04, 2012
Yoruba leaders have spoken; OPC over to you! cheesy grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Presidency After Jonathan Not Negotiable, Say Igbo Leaders / Fuel Subsidy Scam: Ubah’s Travail Injustice To Ndigbo – South East CAN / May God Run The Lives Of Our Leaders The Way They Run Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.