Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Ufomba: A Daniel Or Trouble Maker? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ufomba: A Daniel Or Trouble Maker? (631 Views)

APGA Governorship Candidate In Abia State, Chief Regan Ufomba Has Been Diagnosed / The Undisputed Profile Of Ochiagha Reagan Ufomba / BREAKING NEWS: Reagan Ufomba Open Up On OUK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ufomba: A Daniel Or Trouble Maker? by emindu: 4:25pm On Jun 04, 2012
As the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in the April 2011 general elections, Ochiagha Reagan John Ufomba, last Sunday, May 27, 2012, celebrated his 59th birthday, his political associates, rivals, friends, well wishers, critics, business partners and family members, who gathered in Lagos to share the golden moment with him, could not help reviewing his political philosophy, even as reports that weekend confirmed that some armed policemen and thugs invaded and sealed off the venue of a scheduled meeting of APGA members in Aba.

Amongs the politically conscious guests, the news, which broke shortly before the birthday dinner, served as the take-off point for discussion of the political situation in Abia State and Ufomba’s political philosophy and the journey so far.

Born on the 27th day of May 1962 to the family of Ichie and Mrs Edward Ufomba, of Umuogele Ntigha in the present Isialangwa North Local Government Area of Abia State, Ufomba commenced his academic pursuit at the Immaculate Conception Seminary, Ahieke Umuahia. He later read Secretarial Studies at the Federal Polytechnic Mubi, Studied Public Administration at the Federal College of Education Technical Akoka, read History and International Relations at the Lagos State University (LASU) and also read Law at the Lagos State University (LASU), before proceeding to the prestigious Harvard Business School, Boston USA to Study Global Negotiation. He is presently in the field of peace and conflict resolution at the National Open University of Nigeria. He is happily married to Adanma Ufomba, a marriage that has produced two boys and three girls.

As an early beginner, he made his mark in the business world venturing into dry cleaning services, poultry farming, medical laboratory, and was one of the first merchants to import the Rapid HIV Testing Kit and Sim Card backup in Nigeria. A business ally of Alhaji Aliko Dangote, he was one of the biggest distributors for Dangote Industries, distributing a minimum of 200 cement trucks every month under a guaranty scheme with a loan from UBA. He was a major supplier of LPFO to Ashaka Cement in Gombe State and major manufacturing company in Lagos.

He set up the 1.2million metric tons Reagan Cement Plant in Calabar, Cross River State in 2005 after working with Dangote for several years. Recognizing the competence and genuine drive of his company towards the economic growth of the Nation, the Federal Government of Nigeria gave him a license to import 500,000 metric tons of cement in 2008, and another license to establish a 2million metric tons capacity cement manufacturing plant in Arochukwu, Abia State. To tap from his rich business ideas, the Federal Government appointed him into the committee that formulated the policy on the future of cement industry in Nigeria in 2009.

Speaking about Ochigha Ufomba’s success in the field of business, Alhaji Aliko Dangote had this to say: “I am certainly not surprised at this breakthrough given the highest level of your commitment and support to the cement industry, I am very proud of this achievement”. His recent exploits into a multi-billion dollar shipping and Floating Power Plant investment is a novelty that would turn several willing dark nations and states into sunshine.

In recognition of his very humble efforts and contributions to the expansion of the gospel of Christ, the Catholic Church has honored him with many prestigious but Christ inspiring titles. Ufomba, is the Dike Di Oha Ma of Aba Dioceses, Ambassador of Christ and the IDE of St. Benedict.

Not forgetting his root and the challenges therein, he ensured the introduction of a scholarship scheme that presently takes care of 165 students, amongst other humanitarian gestures.

Politics

In the field of politics, Ufomba was the Campaign Coordinator of former military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida in the South-East. He represented Abia State Government in the National Poverty Eradication Program Committee under President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration. He was also Special Assistant on Integrated Rural Development and served in several boards.

During his service to Abia State, he was described by insiders as “a great creative thinker, initiator, mobilizer and a loyalist and gentleman of immense sagacity and principle until his resignation in 2003 on personal grounds,” leaving behind what he described as “an unblemished record.”

He explained that he is a student of the philosophy of late Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, who said, “in a democratic dispensation, the aspiration, views and the yearnings of the people must be respected.”

Vision/Message

Ufomba came to Abia State politics with a vision of change and the need to do a new thing. A year after the election, he has continued to advocate and fight for quality leadership in Abia State; however, his frankness and boldness on issues has projected as a major opponent and thus a subject of criticism. While majority see him as a Daniel, others call him a trouble maker. But, perhaps because of his resilience, Ufomba has actually emerged a factor in Abia State politics.

Turning rather religious, he has this to say of himself and his people, “if my blood is what is required for my people to be free from want and deprivation, I will freely give it. I am not unaware of the ill conceived attacks on my person arising from this principled position of mine by some near-do-wells. I am not God, and I am not a saint either and nobody is, tell them to stop looking for the living in the land of the dead; they can never see me where they are pointing fingers.”
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/politics/48674-ufomba-a-daniel-or-trouble-maker.html

(1) (Reply)

PDP Is A Monster And Need To Be Dealth With On Time / June Deadline: Knocks, Anger As Jonathan Fails To Cage Boko Haram / Most Wanted: JTF Nabs Notorious Niger Delta Ex-militant ‘general Cairo’!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.