Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! (5887 Views)

Abducted Muslim Children Forcefully Converted To Christianity In Edo Idp Camp. / Prometheus Vs Lucy / "Holy Quran Converted Me To Christianity" Says Imam Sulaiman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 1:54am On Jun 08, 2012
[img]http://4.bp..com/-SH8VgTpXIy8/TYoNbHmHl3I/AAAAAAAAAQA/tPzpBrp9PLI/s748/Prometheus%2BLogo.jpg[/img]

If you haven't seen the movie "Prometheus", you better see it! It has deep philosophical and religious undertones. Go to your local cinema right now

This movie has shifted me towards the agnostic side (sorry, Logic Mind).
I'm still an atheist but agnostic in the sense that unicellular organisms or other life forms that made our evolution possible could be our "gods". They might not be omnipotent (why are many extinct?) but they have a part in our evolution or creation.

The movie is about man's search into space with a belief that one could meet his/her creator to find the answers to unanswerable questions about man's origin. The setting of the movie is in space and on an earth-like planet in another galaxy. The scenery alone in the movie is magnificent with waterfalls, monolithic spaceships and blizzards.

I will not go further into specifics of the movie not to ruin it for people who haven seen it but I will give 4 perspectives of the movie.

The Christian perspective;

"How many are your works, O Lord! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number-living things both large and small." (Psalm 104:24-25)

God is the creator. While experiencing the beauty of the new planet and its weather in the movie, one has to stop and think about the sheer power, time and wisdom that would have been necessary to create it all. If there is an entity behind it, it has to be God;

the warm glow of the sun,
the calm flow of the clouds,
the serenity of the blue sky,
the diversity in living things,
who shall doubt your omnipotence, king of kings?

[img]http://3.bp..com/-FlWA9kk44sY/Th9pnhKw0EI/AAAAAAAAAA0/EvtM3i_UCmo/s1600/creator.png[/img]

The Muslim perspective;

"God is the Creator of everything. He is the guardian over everything. Unto Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth." (39:62, 63)

In the movie, we see man searching for knowledge. Allah advises us to search for knowledge and through Him does all knowledge come forth. The end of the movie led to more questions. Only Allah can answer all questions for He is the all knowing; العليم (Al-ʿAlīm) the all knowing, the omniscient.

Furthermore, there are 99 names for Allah. Some of them are
- الخالق Al-Khāliq The Creator
- البارئ Al-Bāriʾ The Evolver, The Fashioner, The Designer
- المصور Al-Muṣawwir The Fashioner of Forms

The atheistic/agnostic perspective;

One does not have to appeal to God to set the initial conditions for the creation of the universe, but if one does He would have to act through the laws of physics. [Stephen Hawking]

In the movie, man searches for his origins. Man maketh his destiny and man is his own God. Who wrote the religious books? Man. Who studies science? Man. Who makes discoveries? Man. Who enforces laws on earth? Man. Who preaches these laws? Man.

Furthermore, in the movie, they used spaceships and computers to travel. This is science made and used by man to find his origin. Furthermore, the movie suggests that other living life-forms made human beings. This is not exactly contrary to evolution, scientists know that life comes from life. Human beings evolved from other life forms.

"Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "does not!."

[img]http://americanatheism.files./2011/10/atheism_motivational_poster_40.jpg[/img]

Greek Pagan perspective;

The movie was aptly titled "Prometheus". Prometheus in Greek mythology represents man's curiousity and quest for knowledge.

Prometheus (Greek: Προμηθεύς) is a Titan, culture hero, and trickster figure who in Greek mythology is credited with the creation of man from clay and the theft of fire for human use, an act that enabled progress and civilization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus

1 Like

Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by Nobody: 2:20am On Jun 08, 2012
logicboy:

If you haven't seen the movie "Prometheus", you better see it! It has deep philosophical and religious undertones. Go to your local cinema right now

This movie has shifted me towards the agnostic side (sorry, Logic Mind).
I'm still an atheist but agnostic in the sense that unicellular organisms or other life forms that made our evolution possible could be our "gods". They might not be omnipotent (why are many extinct?) but they have a part in our evolution or creation.
The movie is about man's search into space with a belief that one could meet his/her creator to find the answers to unanswerable questions about man's origin. The setting of the movie is in space and on an earth-like planet in another galaxy. The scenery alone in the movie is magnificent with waterfalls, monolithic spaceships and blizzards.

Wow!! I haven't seen hollywood get anybody this excited since Deepsight got some spiritual enlightenment from Avatar. Now, dear LogicBoy sees another hollywood epic and is now leaning towards the agnostic side. Calm down, it's just great CGI, the bible, erich von daniken and some hollywood screenwriters.

If you grew up in the 1970s, you may have a dim memory of “Chariots of the Gods,” an international best seller by Erich von Däniken full of dubious speculation about extraterrestrial influences on ancient earthling civilizations. The book, a kind of space age “Da Vinci Code,” inspired a goofy German documentary and, if memory serves, some earnest, anxious debates among sixth-grade protogeeks who shall remain nameless.
http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/movies/prometheus-by-ridley-scott-with-noomi-rapace.html

Mr Von Daniken was one of the subjects of an interesting discussion a few months ago. Don't get too excited.
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by Nobody: 4:31am On Jun 08, 2012
If it shifts atheists towards agnosticism, can it shift atheists to believers? :-)

Ill check it out... nice summary btw...
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by doncejay: 4:48am On Jun 08, 2012
this is to those that have been looking for a football academy or a club to sign them, this is a grate chance for every one log on to www.footballexpertacademy.yolasite.com and click at registration form to register. this is a grate opportunity for every one.
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 9:25am On Jun 08, 2012
Martian:

Wow!! I haven't seen hollywood get anybody this excited since Deepsight got some spiritual enlightenment from Avatar. Now, dear LogicBoy sees another hollywood epic and is now leaning towards the agnostic side. Calm down, it's just great CGI, the bible, erich von daniken and some hollywood screenwriters.

If you grew up in the 1970s, you may have a dim memory of “Chariots of the Gods,” an international best seller by Erich von Däniken full of dubious speculation about extraterrestrial influences on ancient earthling civilizations. The book, a kind of space age “Da Vinci Code,” inspired a goofy German documentary and, if memory serves, some earnest, anxious debates among sixth-grade protogeeks who shall remain nameless.
http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/movies/prometheus-by-ridley-scott-with-noomi-rapace.html

Mr Von Daniken was one of the subjects of an interesting discussion a few months ago. Don't get too excited.

Ah, Martian the critic.

Have you seen the movie?
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 9:27am On Jun 08, 2012
musKeeto: If it shifts atheists towards agnosticism, can it shift atheists to believers? :-)

Ill check it out... nice summary btw...

Nah, it wont move atheists to believe in God. I'm still an atheist.

Every atheist is an agnostic in a sense that you cant disprove God's existence in the same way you cant disprove the boogeyman 100%
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by MrAnony1(m): 9:46am On Jun 08, 2012
Hmm logicboy, it took a movie to convince you of the possibility of God........ Seek and you shall find.........God's grace
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 9:51am On Jun 08, 2012
Mr_Anony: Hmm logicboy, it took a movie to convince you of the possibility of God........ Seek and you shall find.........God's grace

Go and watch the movie. God is always a possibility just like the boogeyman. 0.00000001%
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by MrAnony1(m): 9:54am On Jun 08, 2012
logicboy:

Go and watch the movie. God is always a possibility just like the boogeyman. 0.00000001%

Don't worry, just seek
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 11:05am On Jun 08, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Don't worry, just seek

Watch the movie
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by LogicMind: 12:10pm On Jun 08, 2012
logicboy:

Watch the movie

Are the studios paying you to promote their movie?

Hollywood brainwashing is for the feeble minded. A friend of mine after seeing "The Book of Eli" told me that his faith has been renewed and he now understands what he didn't understand before.

There a many fictions and possibility conjectures about our origins. What I always say is that I don't know but I know bullshyte when I see bullshyte and the bible is full of it.

1 Like

Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 12:34pm On Jun 08, 2012
Logic Mind:

Hollywood brainwashing is for the feeble minded. A friend of mine after seeing "The Book of Eli" told me that his fai

th has been renewed and he now understands what he didn't understand before.

There a many fictions and possibility conjectures about our origins. What I always say is that I don't know but I know bullshyte when I see bullshyte and the bible is full of it.

Nah, it's just a movie that touched me.

You talk as if hollywood hasnt touched almost everyone that has a tv. At least a quarter of what you know about America is from hollywood movies.

The movie is clearly fiction. It is the questions or philosphical undertones that inspired me. Just like the matrix. Were you not inspired by the matrix?

The movie has been out for over a week now. If I were paid to promote this movie, I would have started a week ago
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by lekkie073(m): 2:49pm On Jun 08, 2012
Martian:

Chariots of ϑ gods makes more sense than the bible. If an unbiased mind reads ϑ bible as well as chariots of the gods, he would regard ϑ bible as fiction and the other as scientific analysis

Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by lekkie073(m): 2:51pm On Jun 08, 2012
[quote author=Martian]

Chariots of ϑ gods makes more sense than the bible. If an unbiased mind reads ϑ bible as well as chariots of the gods, he would regard ϑ bible as fiction and the other as scientific analysis
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by tpia5: 11:39am On Jun 09, 2012
Movie section, or is ligicboy afraid to venture out of religion section?

Is this your comfort zone and you' re afraid you might be shown up as being of little intelligence should you go elsewhere? Always easier to yell in an empty room, isnt it.

Nobody but your cronies are responding to you, so you got comfortable, lol.
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 09, 2012
tpia@:
Movie section, or is ligicboy afraid to venture out of religion section? This is your comfort zone and you' re afraid you might be shown up as being of little intelligence should you go elsewhere? Always easier to yell in an empty room, isnt it. Nobody but your cronies are responding to you, so you got comfortable, lol.
Tilapia always stinking up threads!!!
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 2:55pm On Jun 09, 2012
musKeeto:
Tilapia always stinking up threads!!!

What do you expect from a dead fish?
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by tpia5: 5:32pm On Jun 09, 2012
logicboy:

I am a dead fish

lol
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 6:17pm On Jun 09, 2012
tpia@:

I am a sick person that likes to misquote people. I also like gay sex

Two people can play this game
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by mimibets(f): 7:39pm On Jun 09, 2012
For want of what to believe in!
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
mimibets: For want of what to believe in!

Explain thy comment
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by Kay17: 10:52am On Jun 10, 2012
Logic Mind:

Hollywood brainwashing is for the feeble minded. A friend of mine after seeing "The Book of Eli" told me that his faith has been renewed and he now understands what he didn't understand before.

The Book of Eli is one of my fav movies. Lovely and thoughtful yet action packed.
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 12:11pm On Jun 10, 2012
Kay 17:

The Book of Eli is one of my fav movies. Lovely and thoughtful yet action packed.

The book of Eli shows that the bible is a dangerous tool. Do you wonder why the criminal boss wanted it?
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by tpia5: 12:45pm On Jun 10, 2012
Thread needs to be moved to tv section. Doesnt matter if the poster is afraid to go there.
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 12:48pm On Jun 10, 2012
tpia@:
Thread needs to be moved to tv section. Doesnt matter if the poster is afraid to go there.

What is your problem?

This thread is about religion. Religious themes in a movie.

Three quarters of this thread is about islam, christianity, mythology and atheism.

Dont be a fool
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by mimibets(f): 1:04pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

Explain thy comment
He that stands for nothing can fall for anything.
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by LogicMind: 1:30pm On Jun 10, 2012
mimibets: He that stands for nothing can fall for anything.

is that why failed for the 2000 yr old scam of a middle easter hippie murdered by his own people?
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by logicboy: 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2012
mimibets: He that stands for nothing can fall for anything.

Really? Is that the reason why pastors are being exposed scandal after scandal?

Just because something is a popular quote, it doesnt mean it is true!
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by mimibets(f): 1:38pm On Jun 10, 2012
Logic Mind:

is that why failed for the 2000 yr old scam of a middle easter hippie murdered by his own people?
could u modify ur statement?
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by LogicMind: 1:41pm On Jun 10, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^is that why fell for the 2000 yr old scam of a middle easter hippie murdered by his own people?

shit. englis is not my mother tongue, ok?
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by mimibets(f): 1:42pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

Really? Is that the reason why pastors are being exposed scandal after scandal?

Just because something is a popular quote, it doesnt mean it is true!
Just because a part is false doesn't make the whole false. Not everyone that comes in the name of God is of God.
Re: Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! by italo: 1:54pm On Jun 10, 2012
@ logicboy, sometimes I feel sorry for you. The kind of confusion that must be going on in your head. i wish you had the kind of certainty that i have. Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..? / Can This Be True (pic) Fish Rain / Muslims, Is This True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.