Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,103 members, 7,953,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:00 PM

Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun (8224 Views)

Cameroonian Soldiers Chase Nigerians Out Of Bakassi (Photo) / Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi / Group Protests Ceding Of Bakassi To Cameroon In Abuja (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by KGREAT(m): 9:10am On Nov 23, 2007
The Senate on Thursday rejected the transfer of the oil-rich Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroun by the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo. The Senate said the decision by Obasanjo to sign the August 14, 2006 Green Tree Agreement ceding the area to Cameroun, was unilateral and contrary to Section 12 (1) of the 1999 Constitution. But I am of the opinion that the more the oil in Nigeria the higher the suffering of her citizens, also the same rule applies in that the higher the price of oil in the international markets the greater the anguish of her poor masses. Remember in those days when the oil boom has not reach the climax the county was a beacon of hope for nations that were gripped by wicked colonial masters, ironically Nigeria is only giant of Africa in Paper. angry sad angry sad sad sad cool grin
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by olanajim(m): 9:47am On Nov 23, 2007
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 10:02am On Nov 23, 2007
This is very best-decision made so far.

What I expect now are:

1. Yaradua to annouce that he has to obey the 'law of nigeria'

2. Immediate deployment of 'Nigerian Army, Airforce, Navy' to secure the entire Bakassi land and its people.

3. Any cameroun forces would be disarmed and new law created if they kill bakassi people; they will be brough to justice in Nigeria

4. Clear warming to France, UK, USA to steer clear of bakassi.

5. Secure all our ports, borders

effectively, we should prepare for war but made it clear, we are not after Camerounians but will protect NIGERIANS anywhere in the world.

WEST Reaction:

1. they will think of sanction but with oil at $100, this would not be in their interest.

2. they may suspend Nigeria from 'commonwealth'; we stop virgin/BA coming to Nigeria and give other friendly country their slots.

We must for once take a tough stand and show that no-country small or big mess with Nigeria and we are not bound any longer with any evil colonial law. It has no place in this age.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by denex: 10:54am On Nov 23, 2007
You people, including the Senators calling for the annexing of Bakassi are all mad. You think the USA, UK and France are interested in what happens to Bakassi? They just want to see a war so that they can sell billions of dollars worth of weapons.

What is wrong with you all. The Ceding of Bakassi to Cameroun was one of the best things OBJ did. At least he showed that Africans can solve problems without barbarism. Now you all want to turn all that around and take the usual route of violence. "something dey worry una O!"
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 11:45am On Nov 23, 2007
The Ceding of Bakassi to Cameroun was one of the best things OBJ did

fully disagreed. This is among numerous blunders of OBJ.

They just want to see a war so that they can sell billions of dollars worth of weapons

It is time that Nigerian army/navy/airforce justifed their existence, its time to modernise.

once you are perceived as weak, you doomed:

soon it will be turn of lagos to be cede to Benin Republic, next it will be Ogun/Kwara.

weak nations have no place in the scheme of things to come.

Nigeria will blend diplomacy with tough-stance if needed. Nigeria will protect her territorial land and its people.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by olanajim(m): 12:47pm On Nov 23, 2007
War! War! War!

Let see where it leads. I don't imagine Yar'adua going to war with Cameroun, but if it happen, we would have our hand full. Nigeria cannot win that war.

Sure, we may defeat cameroun. The Niger Delta Militant are waiting for their break just as the Biafrans are waiting to capitalize on the crisis to arm themselves. Once Nigerian Army are through with Cameroun they would then have to face a reinvigorated Niger Delta Militants and MASOB.

War is a serious blunder.

Diplomacy is the best option.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 2:29pm On Nov 23, 2007
Let see where it leads. I don't imagine Yar'adua going to war with Cameroun, but if it happen, we would have our hand full. Nigeria cannot win that war.

Correction: Nigeria is not going to war with anyone!

Nigeria is simply protecting its people + land. It is that simple.

If Nigeria cannot protect Bakassi, they you guys should wake-up one day to find Lagos is now Benin Republic and Kwara belongs to Niger replublic.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by doyin13(m): 3:09pm On Nov 23, 2007
I do not usually cede to jingoism but:

Get those blasted Camerounians off our land angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by Iman3(m): 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2007
doyin13:

I do not usually cede to jingoism but:

Get those blasted Camerounians off our land angry angry angry angry angry

Bakassi is not "our land".The ICJ has already given its judgment on the issue,its time we abide by the decision
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by doyin13(m): 4:21pm On Nov 23, 2007
Well there has to be some leverage from being the ''Giant of Africa''.

Lets take a cue from the Americans and be a law unto oursleves tongue
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 4:52pm On Nov 23, 2007
The ICJ has already given its judgment on the issue,its time we abide by the decision

This is not bidding on any country. Let them go and ask Isrealis who have ignored such many times.

Nigerian Senate has spoken and I expect yaradua to take action, quickly and firmly!

This foolish OBJ is done so much damage to Nigeria: good riddiance to bad rubbish.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by McKren(m): 5:49pm On Nov 23, 2007
Bakassi is not "our land".The ICJ has already given its judgment on the issue,its time we abide by the decision

A few questions:

1. Why should a judge sitting at the Hague know more who the owners of Bakasi are than those who their ancestors dwelled on the land.

2. Why should a Judge sitting at the Hague choose for the Bakasi people what their Nationality should be.

3. Why should "OPINNIONS" of some judges sitting at the Hague change the lives, tradition, ancestral home etc of the Bakasi people expecially when it is a know fact that the ICJ does not have compulsory jurisdiction on any matter.

Protecting your territorial integrity and sovereignty is the right of every Nation and Nigeria was too hasty to implement the ruling of ICJ.
At Independence Bakasi was part of Nigeria, in essence it has always been part of Nigeria since the existence of Nigeria. And no one else knows better what part of the world or continent Bakasi is than the Bakasi people.

Nigeria has a good case, while I think all amounts of caution should be applied to avoid going to war with cameroun our country has a duty to give the Bakasi people security.

Cameroun will not be as generous as we have been to them as most of their actions clearly show.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by buluti(m): 6:13pm On Nov 23, 2007
@ Mckren, please your questions are belated and of no relevance, when Nigeria agreed to compulsory jurisdiction to the ICJ. And in this particular dispute gave consentual jurisdiction to the ICJ, why didnt people raise those questions. We agreed to abide by the ruling so please those arguement can not hold.

@ babasin, the ICJ has consentual jurisdiction in this dispute, we agreed to go there and abide by the decision of the ICJ. My problem is that of contradictory stands, i read a lot of "rule of law" supporting the AGF, should that be only when its convenient and perhaps protect (sorry) allow the rich and powerful protect themselves. My friend be a man of principles. Your analogy on the west is really funny oh, Oil, Oil, drive Virgin/BA we can do that but, is it a mutually beneficial relationship or not. My friend you need to be in positions of responsibility a lot of your views might well changed. I do not envy Yar Adua at all, he has a difficult job, i hope we start making them accountable.

@ doyin, i am presuaded a bit to your approach, that really we should act like the Americans in this case. But come to think of it, do we have the clout to do that. We are a bit fragmented at the moment and such an action would be detrimental to the Nigerian nation. Truth is Bakassi is no longer part of Nigeria.

The ruling by the ICJ was painful to me, more painful was when OBJ obeyed it, like there was a choice , but my opinion is that the senate should let it be. The lesson to be learnt so that such doesnt happen again is our mumu mumu approach of signing any treaty for the sake of it.

The US are always so smart, they are not signatories to a lot of this sometimes stupid treaties, and in the ICJ for example there is no compulsory jurisdiction on them thats why they can act the way they do at times, and legally you can't hold them.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by presido1: 6:17pm On Nov 23, 2007
McKren:

A few questions:

1. Why should a judge sitting at the Hague know more who the owners of Bakasi are than those who their ancestors dwelled on the land.

2. Why should a Judge sitting at the Hague choose for the Bakasi people what their Nationality should be.

3. Why should OPINNIONS of some judges sitting at the Hague change the lives, tradition, ancestral home etc of the Bakasi people expecially when it is a know fact that the ICJ does not have compulsory jurisdiction on any matter.
Protecting your territorial integrity and sovereignty is the right of every Nation and Nigeria was too hasty to implement the ruling of ICJ.
At Independence Bakasi was part of Nigeria, in essence it has always been part of Nigeria since the existence of Nigeria. And no one else knows better what part of the world or continent Bakasi is than the Bakasi people
Nigeria has a good case, while I think all amounts of caution should be applied to avoid going to war with cameroun our country has a duty to give the Bakasi people security.
Cameroun will not be as generous as we have been to them as most of their actions clearly show.
God,why must you put Nigeria where you are suppose to put OBJ, please edit your post and point the finger where its suppose to be pointed. TO OBJ.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by presido1: 6:20pm On Nov 23, 2007
buluti:

but my opinion is that the senate should let it be.
Cos you are not from Bakassi.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by buluti(m): 6:41pm On Nov 23, 2007
presido1:

Cos you are not from Bakassi.

No, because Nigeria agreed to be bound by the ruling of the ICJ. We should be more careful when we sign treaties, our mumu mumu is enough, we need to re-awaken the giant within, but to do that we must be a giant and get our acts together.

Please read my post i said it was painful, but thats just what it is painful.

Look i also want what the senate wants, i don't want us to obey the ruling, i want us to deploy troops and flush out the Gendarmes mate, thats all wants. The truth is that  in this situation i and we are can't get what we want.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by bombay: 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2007
I feel very sad with the post here,why you ask well some people here are not meant to be called nigerians were is your patrotic spirit.
You are happy that a part of our country has be ceeded to another country you are saying it is right.
ICJ has no jusriticion in nigeria and Secondly ObJ and his cohorts should stand trial for treason and sabotage to our nation.
Like america should ceed alaska to canada very funny.
We will go to war.
War has been started by far lesser things than this.
Nigeria is waking up from his slumber we will not be taken for granted by any nation anywhere.
Those that sold our birth right will be punished plus their children children.
We have a constitution and we will stick to it.
Bakassi is still part of nigeria.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by iykrion(m): 7:10pm On Nov 23, 2007
The best way to decide the Bakassi issue is to hold a plebiscite for the people.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by buluti(m): 7:20pm On Nov 23, 2007
@ bombay      shocked,  i will not dignify your post with a response.

@ iykrion, the time for a referendum has passed.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by presido1: 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2007
buluti:

No, because Nigeria agreed to be bound by the ruling of the ICJ. We should be more careful when we sign treaties, our mumu mumu is enough, we need to re-awaken the giant within, but to do that we must be a giant and get our acts together.
Please read my post i said it was painful, but thats just what it is painful.
Look i also want what the senate wants, i don't want us to obey the ruling, i want us to deploy troops and flush out the Gendarmes mate, thats all wants. The truth is that  in this situation i and we are can't get what we want.
That is to say that we will re-draw Nigerian Map and change our constitution from the ICJ ruling.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by denex: 7:28pm On Nov 23, 2007
You people that are using "agbari" to claim that Cameroun is weak should wake up and realise that in the 1980s 2 thermonuclear devices were tested by Cameroun in association with other foreign governments.

Cameroun is a mirage so I advise you people to think thrice before declaring any hostile intentions.

While the Bakassi issue was at the ICJ, France and Cameroun had prepared for war during which time Nigeria was just carrying on as usual.

Even without the ICJ ruling, I would expect Nigeria for once in the history of Africa to show some maturity in avoiding conflict.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by bombay: 7:35pm On Nov 23, 2007
buluti (m)

Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun
« #18 on: Today at 07:20:29 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ bombay      ,  i will not dignify your post with a response.

@ iykrion, the time for a referendum has passed.

Very funny you will not diginify my post who wants you to dignify my post.
People like you Fela spoke about them
Fear to make the right decision,Fear to speak the truth.
You will rather support a foreign nation to sabotage your father land.
This is one thing that will bring the whole of nigeria together to fight a common enermy.We will use them as an example.
I bet you are a yoruba man.
Always afraid and very crafty.
You think you know it all.
Some one like you when they ask where are you from you will deny that you are nigerian.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by buluti(m): 7:42pm On Nov 23, 2007
@ Presido, what do you think Bola Ajibola and his committee abi na panel is doing.

Which govt took the decision to go to the ICJ? I can't remember i don't think it was OBJ. If OBJ erred in erred consitutionally, then OBJ should be held accountable for his actions. These are the questions we should be asking, how it was possible for OBJ to unilaterally take that decision at the time.

Why didnt the previous senate raise issues, most of the current senators are returning senators.

@ bombay,  cheesy, hear your self bring Nigeria to fight a common enemy, and you call me a Yoruba man. So all Yoruba people are always afraid and crafty. You have showed your reasoning level to the world.

If you have nothing to say like you clearly don't, then it would be wise to shut up instead of showing your ignorance on issues. ICJ didnt have jurisdiction, bla bla, bla, no sense,
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by presido1: 7:59pm On Nov 23, 2007
buluti:

@ Presido, what do you think Bola Ajibola and his committee abi na panel is doing.
Please what are they doing? Are they drawing a new map for Nigeria? shade more light please.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by bombay: 8:04pm On Nov 23, 2007
My good friend you are repeating everything am say i leave my case, You have shown you are a copycat with no sense of reasoning.
Read my post then read your post do you see the similarities.
If you don't let me help you, Obj should be held accountable for this action, I see in your post the same thing i posted.
My friend do not get yourself into more trouble by contradicting yourself.
Wise up and start think out of the box.  cheesy
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by buluti(m): 8:15pm On Nov 23, 2007
@ presido see the link below, i pray it helps. Then google "Nigeria-Cameroun Mixed Commission", am sure you will get enough information.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007112314542773

@ Bombay i am NOT saying the same thing with you, since its A, B, C that is your level i will try.

A - A judgement has been passed by the ICJ, which should be respected by the parties, because they are signatories and the ICJ has jurisdiction in the dispute.

B - The senate should let the matter be as it is no matter how painful it is to all.

C- If the previous govt (not only OBJ as he didnt act alone) was found to have acted unconstitutionally they should be held accountable.

I can't see from the above where i called for war, where i said bakassi is still part of Nigeria, where i said ICJ has no jurisdiction. These are things you concur in your contribution so please don't you compare my contribution to yours, i consider that an insult. cheesy cheesy
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by Seun(m): 8:21pm On Nov 23, 2007
Ajibola, who expressed displeasure at the Senate’s action, said, “I spent 22 years of my life to ensure that there was peace and we did not go to war with Cameroun. We have virtually succeeded in doing that.”
Now that they are united, they want to start a war. Somebody please instigate another scandal. Please!
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by bombay: 8:40pm On Nov 23, 2007
A - A judgement has been passed by the ICJ, which should be respected by the parties, because they are signatories and the ICJ has jurisdiction in the dispute.

B - The senate should let the matter be as it is no matter how painful it is to all.

C- If the previous govt (not only OBJ as he didnt act alone) was found to have acted unconstitutionally they should be held accountable.

Are you sure you are a Nigerian at all, I don't think so.

Look at what you are saying that (A judgement has been passed by the ICJ, which should be respected by the parties, because they are signatories and the ICJ has jurisdiction in the dispute) well i wish you were among the the people displaced by this you will not be aying what you are say.

You have shown that you as an individual do not understand world politics.

This is a slap on the face of Nigeria and Nigerians in general.

ICJ does it have a copy of the constitution of the Federal Republic Nigeria.

ICJ was there when we were fighting for our independence.

ICJ will take care of the people that their land has been taken away from them and rendered homeless.

Why not take shell,chevron to ICJ so that they will repair the environmental damages they have caused to the costal communities.

People like you support what they do not understand.

You will sell your birth right to please the western world.

Don't mention this crap you are say outside you will be pulmented with stones. grin
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by presido1: 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2007
buluti:

@ presido see the link below, i pray it helps. Then google "Nigeria-Cameroun Mixed Commission", am sure you will get enough information.
Oboy did you read my question b4 posting a link for me, Its all about our Map, we dont have one now that Bakassi is no longer 9ja.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by buluti(m): 9:02pm On Nov 23, 2007
@ presido, i leave you to your search for a map, i wont do that for you, it might be a bit of hard work but you will be amazed the volume of information you will get. The demarcation of the villages is being done by that commission and at the end of the day a lot of things will be sorted (including adjusting the map) it takes time. If your point is that in the current map, bakassi is in Nigeria, then my advise to you is to keep leaving in the past.

@ Bombay at least its clear we are not saying the same thing. Please go and enlist in the army and if and when the war comes you must fight to show you are patriotic.

If being civil is selling birth right, no wonder Nigeria is still where it is, be a barbarian and renage on your obligation. I speak anywhere i want to and even you my friend if you were there can do nothing about it, well we really can't be in the same circles (no insult meant) as much as i support an egalitarian society, some folks keep justifying the conservative and elitist ideology.

And let me try and enlighten you a bit since its clear you do no reading, corporations such as those you mentioned can't be parties in such contentious cases. Please educate yourself, you are fast becoming a big nusiance. cheesy cheesy

Geezzzzzz, what do folks do on the internet, is it only Nairaland and email,
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by yewaman1(m): 9:07pm On Nov 23, 2007
Nairalanders

find out about this particular issues before you start making hearing your opinion on the matter. In any case the senate cannot take that single decision for the country.

[b][/b]It is illegal pure and simple
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by yewaman1(m): 9:14pm On Nov 23, 2007
Nairalanders

find out about this particular issues before you start making your opinion known on the matter.
In any case the senate cannot take that single decision for the country.

Bakassi dose not belong to Nigeria, it is that simple, I f anybody cares to do their research on the topic
am sure you will find out the truth which will set us free. instead of claiming what is not ours in the first place

[b][/b]It is illegal pure and simple

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Map Of igbo Port Harcourt, IJAWS Would Be Minority In Biafra Or Niger Delta / UPDATE: Biafrans Protesting In Abuja Right Now. Photostuesday, 1 December 2015 / EFCC Opposes Omisore’s Bail,says He Got ‘hundreds Of Millions’ From Dasuki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.