Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing (10757 Views)

Passengers At Abuja Airport Sleep Under Turkish Airline Plane / Medview Passengers Coming Out After Their Plane Made An Emergency Landing / Man Prevents Arik Air From Taking Off In Abuja (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by aljharem(m): 6:10am On Jun 09, 2012
Another Air Mishap Averted In Abuja As Runway Lights Went Off

Barely one week after the fatal air crash involving Dana Air in Lagos, another air mishap was narrowly averted yesterday at the NnamdiAzikiwe Airport, Abuja when the run way lights went off, thus making it impossible for planes to either take off or land.

LEADERSHIP WEEKEND learnt late last night that the development led to the re-routing of all Abuja-bound planes to Lagos.

Specifically, Lufthansa flight that took off from Abuja to Malabo, earlier in the day was routed to Lagos. Also, Air France and British Airways were rerouted, thus leaving many passengers stranded.

Efforts to reach the minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah or her aides were unsuccessful at the time of going to press.

LEADERSHIP WEEKEND however learnt that contract to refurbish the runway lights had been awarded but the inability of the company to complete the job at 5 pm yesterday warranted the re-routing.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/26883/2012/06/09/another_air_mishap_averted_abuja.html

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by inspirenet: 7:20am On Jun 09, 2012
Seriously
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by ACM10: 7:33am On Jun 09, 2012
hmm

1 Like

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Jakumo(m): 7:58am On Jun 09, 2012
Failed runway lights would prevent landings, but aircraft could still take off under the illumination of their own multiple high-intensity floodlights.
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by kay9(m): 8:34am On Jun 09, 2012
I honestly dont knw what to say this time... I nominate my country for the award of Most F**ked Nation.

10 Likes

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Nobody: 8:38am On Jun 09, 2012
I just wonder if the headlights or whatever lights this aircraft's carry can't illuminate their vision. Everything the Nigeria Government does is almost like a Joke. If the Planes landing had to land on Emergency, what will happen? re-route back to lagos abi? GEJ i hail thee! atleast most of the crashes in the past has been blamed on the incapability or inexperience of the Pilot and his crew, I wonder what they would have blame this on The honest truth is our Aviation Authorities suck big time

2 Likes

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 09, 2012
Misleading headline .mschew

1 Like

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by valencia25(m): 9:06am On Jun 09, 2012
Plane wahala again undecided
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Murphy7h4: 9:10am On Jun 09, 2012
BUMPS
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by nbltech(m): 9:12am On Jun 09, 2012
There's no amount of seriousness in this country; nobody is convicted &penalized after forming numerous adhoc committees.

1 Like

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 09, 2012
kay9: I honestly dont knw what to say this time... I nominate my country for the award of Most F**ked Nation.

True, naija is f**ked, but there are countless others in a far more deplorable state.
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by CuteTj(m): 9:19am On Jun 09, 2012
Jakumo: Failed runway lights would prevent landings, but aircraft could still take off under the illumination of their own multiple high-intensity floodlights.
Very true. While driving on road at night, you have an idea of the track courtesy of your headlamp but when you're airborne and approaching the runway, you need the runway lights to help you navigate your way to enable you land.
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by omar22(m): 9:20am On Jun 09, 2012
bennyraz: I just wonder if the headlights or whatever lights this aircraft's carry can't illuminate their vision. Everything the Nigeria Government does is almost like a Joke. If the Planes landing had to land on Emergency, what will happen? re-route back to lagos abi? GEJ i hail thee! atleast most of the crashes in the past has been blamed on the incapability or inexperience of the Pilot and his crew, I wonder what they would have blame this on The honest truth is our Aviation Authorities suck big time

You need the lights to land, with the lights you could see the runway from miles and miles away this makes it easy to line up the plane to land!

1 Like

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by ajbabs(m): 9:20am On Jun 09, 2012
Hardly we can development in this nation if we do not drop the idea of criticising blindly.
What surprised me most is the way people are now thinking with their anus these days.
According to that report,we were told that they were refurbishing the light system so why all these crying by some people?
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by iKoksi(m): 9:28am On Jun 09, 2012
"Lufthansa flight that took off from Abuja to Malabo, earlier in the day was routed to Lagos"

i dn't understand, the plane took off from Abj, en-route Malabo, was re-routed to lagos 'cos runway lamps at Abj airport went off ??
Picture shows lamps on?

1 Like

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by maclatunji: 9:29am On Jun 09, 2012
ajbabs: Hardly we can development in this nation if we do not drop the idea of criticising blindly.
What surprised me most is the way people are now thinking with their anus these days.
According to that report,we were told that they were refurbishing the light system so why all these crying by some people?

No wonder, Nigeria is where it is today with people like you. In other countries , if street lights fail at night, it is treated as an emergency. Here you are trying to justify failure of runway lights! We need a firm leader to decisively deal with the decay in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by id2010(m): 9:42am On Jun 09, 2012
grin sadWith what is happening in Nigeria in all sectors, I have come to a conclusion that Things are done in negative directions in Nigeria. Anything we get right I guess is just by Mistake..Anyway that'S my opinion :oWith what is happening in Nigeria in all sectors, I have come to a conclusion that Things are done in negative directions in Nigeria. Anything we get right I guess is just by Mistake..Anyway that'S my opinion
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 09, 2012
dem for use torch or rechargeable lantern na! s.t.u.p.i.d people. mtscheeew!
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by sexysunnyb(m): 9:47am On Jun 09, 2012
Cant they buy some Candle or they don't have kerosene to put in there lantern ? grin tongue
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 09, 2012
They should have gone to land in aso rock or national assembly.

2 Likes

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 09, 2012
omar22:

You need the lights to land, with the lights you could see the runway from miles and miles away this makes it easy to line up the plane to land!
yes yes, but
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by wysenas(m): 9:55am On Jun 09, 2012
Dey 4 carry i pass my neighbour generator go there.they think say na only we go suffer 4 power failure.NIGERIANS should beta start looking an alternative 2 PDP govt.come 2015.over a decade now,no improvement,na only corruption they implemented.
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by monkeyleg: 9:57am On Jun 09, 2012
As usual, let us blame Buhari. Phucking idiots
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by ebamma(m): 9:59am On Jun 09, 2012
so people still dey enta plane for dis country,if dem wan commit suicide there is a beta way than dat.
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by omar22(m): 10:05am On Jun 09, 2012
maclatunji:

No wonder, Nigeria is where it is today with people like you. In other countries , if street lights fail at night, it is treated as an emergency. Here you are trying to justify failure of runway lights! We need a firm leader to decisively deal with the decay in this country.

Exactly! within the transport sector ENGINEERING HOURS is between 12 midnight to 4am in the morning, taking possession of a track or runaway during operation hours would require it to be closed down, trying to maneuver between a and b would be putting people's light at risk!
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by ajbabs(m): 10:06am On Jun 09, 2012
maclatunji:

Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by omar22(m): 10:06am On Jun 09, 2012
bennyraz: yes yes, but

But what? What type of light do you think is on a plane?
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Asiwaju9ja(m): 10:10am On Jun 09, 2012
Have they set up a committee to look into the matter? Each time there is a problem, they set up a probe panel/committee to look into the matter and enrich the members and divert attention from the perpetrators. nothing will happen to anyone responsible and the circle will repeat again when the time comes. My guys from my area would say "Leave Matter"
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by dplordx(m): 10:20am On Jun 09, 2012
Asiwaju9ja: Have they set up a committee to look into the matter? Each time there is a problem, they set up a probe panel/committee to look into the matter and enrich the members and divert attention from the perpetrators. nothing will happen to anyone responsible and the circle will repeat again when the time comes. My guys from my area would say "Leave Matter"

Lol. Thats the next thing thats gonna happen. GEJ will set up a 4 man committee. Another billions would into that.
I wish I could beat up some people on this forum.
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by Detongue: 10:30am On Jun 09, 2012
D headline is very misleading
Re: Blackout At Abuja Airport Prevents Planes From Landing by cupid4ig(m): 10:36am On Jun 09, 2012
bennyraz: I just wonder if the headlights or whatever lights this aircraft's carry can't illuminate their vision. Everything the Nigeria Government does is almost like a Joke. If the Planes landing had to land on Emergency, what will happen? re-route back to lagos abi? GEJ i hail thee! atleast most of the crashes in the past has been blamed on the incapability or inexperience of the Pilot and his crew, I wonder what they would have blame this on The honest truth is our Aviation Authorities suck big time
how does this GEJ fault?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2018 Batch "A" Corpers: Things To Bring To Orientation Exercise / HotelOnline Opens Office In Nigeria After Merger / Where Is The Best Place To Study and work In Europe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.