Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? (13754 Views)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession / Wishing To Relocate Back To Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by chreldb(m): 2:51pm On Jun 16, 2012
ok drzed.
what the phuck is your point? a what positive message are you trying to pass across? that we sould all remain in diaspora or relocate to the village? what the phuck r u saying. respond and i'll reply. its weekend i have time
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 16, 2012
What does Diaspora mean?
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by justwise(m): 2:59pm On Jun 16, 2012
bobbyjabo:

Yea you right..I guess you have a pretty good job you doing wherever in oversea you are...speak for yourself brof,but you know there alot of people in oversea that wake up at 6.00am in that cold weather to go and wash toilet or resume in kitchen or carer house.Would you say there lifes is better of if they were in Nigeria?

You really need to get a grip, how many people in Nigeria are holding their dream jobs? People selling pure-water and recharge cards in dangerous traffic in many cities in Nigeria are doing it to survive just as those Nigerians abroad 'washing plate and doing care jobs'

What is wrong with leaving the house at 6am if that is what your work requires? UK/US have cold weather just as Nigeria is boiling hot in certain time of the year.

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by 3sky: 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy:

Bros no doubt, I was grabbing like £1,600 after tax and NI at the end of every month which for some, that may be good enough...afterall some of our househelps in Naija work for as low as 10k a month which is even less than £50...Imagine if such a person lands in the UK and gets an equivalent of 350k monthly for offering same services...Omo, such a person would rule out returning home.

The fact was, I never felt happy and fulfilled within myself while in the UK owing to the fact that I'd invested so much in education, so why the heck should I be doing dishes when I should be in an office or field role that matches my course of study...I knew I was only wasting my time staying further...I woke up one morning and booked a ticket back home, today I thank God for that singular move because I landed my dream job 4 months after my return...

Also, contrary to what you stated in ur post, Britain doesn't have enough manpower to take on their white collar jobs, but the British would
rather hire an Indian than hiring a Black African, at most they'd go for a Caribbean.

whoever so interested in white collar job in uk should talk time to develop himself and blend to their system,
surely you will get the job

but the point i am trying to make is that if you are so opportune to travel to any of the develop country,
no matter how difficult it is come back home and become an employer of labour not you coming to join the job seekers
depriving other people who never had the opportunity you had of getting jobs. if only you where patient enough perhaps
you could have be MD instead of mere employee. must we study to be employee why not employer with just little sacrifice
of inconveniencing oneself for a while...

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by redsun(m): 3:05pm On Jun 16, 2012
Can we really say we are evolving people when we are not championing our causes?Every signicant life propelling thing we do in nigeria/africa today is done by oyinbo.

Our oil is drilled by oyinbo,our roads are constructed by oyinbo/chinese,our bridges are built by oyinbos,our food are provided by them,our electricity the same.Our water that is never enough,the same and down to even building our residences.

For a people to evolve,they have to understand the intricasies of evolution and be the architect of their faith and that we are not doing right now.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by drzed: 3:06pm On Jun 16, 2012
chreld_b: ok drzed.
what the phuck is your point? a what positive message are you trying to pass across? that we sould all remain in diaspora or relocate to the village? what the phuck r u saying. respond and i'll reply. its weekend i have time

Firstly, there is no need to use foul language. We dey fight? We are here to share experiences or our opinion.

My point is, let us not simplify being abroad vs. returning to Nigeria in terms of frustration, deportation or economics. People have choices. Some people live in The Gambia not because it is better than Nigeria in all respects, but because that is where they have opportunities. The same way that (inspite of armed robbery, kidnapping, planes-falling-from-the-sky, boko haram, lack of electricity, corruption, etc) we have many expatriates in Nigeria today working in our flour mills, bakeries, supermarkets, oil sector, schools and telecoms industries. It all depends on individual choices - and the circumstances that influence those choices.

This is why I always use the City vs. Village analogy. If my old man had remained in the Village, maybe I would have become the champion yam-farmer among my generation. He moved to a city and the rest is history. BUT, not all of my father's mates in the village are worse off today. Some did quite well. Including their children.

This was why (in my previous post) I agreed wholeheartedly with your earlier statement that 'diaspora no be heaven and Nigeria no be hell'.

Thats my point.

6 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by steve13(m): 3:07pm On Jun 16, 2012
bobbyjabo:

Yea you right..I guess you have a pretty good job you doing wherever in oversea you are...speak for yourself brof,but you know there alot of people in oversea that wake up at 6.00am in that cold weather to go and wash toilet or resume in kitchen or carer house.Would you say there lifes is better of if they were in Nigeria?

Have U̶̲̥̅̊ ever bought a plane ticket once?in 2007 I asked a cousin to leave the village and go to the city,I advised him to go to either lag,abj or ph to get some good life,he refused,he is my elder but whenever am in the villa he will always want to wash my car grin,haha,he said we will all relocate from the city one day,that he is would be waiting grin,you sound exactly like HIM,seriously.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by dasparrow: 3:09pm On Jun 16, 2012
Keneking: What does Diaspora mean?

Diaspora in simple terms just means abroad.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Redman44(m): 3:14pm On Jun 16, 2012
Here are the Factors that Motivate people to relocate back to Nigeria. I will be very brutal with my analyses. Enjoy cool cool cool cool.

1. Lack of valid Identification Documents: Many Nigerians find themselves in the horrible situation of being overstayers or illegal immigrants. If you don't have valid documents in the UK, it will be very hard for you to make a headway. You won't even be able to get menial jobs these days as Right to Work Procedures are taken seriously by Employers and Recruitment Agencies. You won't be able to open a Bank Account without valid Identification Documents. Those who decide to work illegally are often paid rubbish wages and they live in deplorable conditions. They live in Houses that lack the basic amenities needed to live well as a human being. Some Nigerians also resort to working with the documents of their friends who help them out to eke a living. I see this kind of thing as living in bondage. There is a curse that will stop you from making progress when you use the papers of other people to work in Europe and America. At the end of the day, some Nigerians return home because they are finding it hard to live in the advanced world due to their Illegal status. They return to Nigeria to see if they can make something meaningful out of their lives.

2. Competing with Friends and Family Members: People are getting competitive these days. Some Nigerians return to the country of their birth because they want to keep up with the joneses. Its like you see a friend of yours back in your days at the University working for a top company in Nigeria and earning supposedly good money. During one of your trips to Nigeria, you move around with him and discover that he has built a House and drives a Jeep. He seems to be doing well and he is happy. You start thinking that you're wasting your time in Europe and develop the idea that you need to return to Nigeria to get a better job. Many Nigerians abroad are going through this situation I have just described. However, the dude that wants to return home does not know that his 'successful' mate has problems he is facing too. The Jeep he is using was brought with a loan he took from his Company. So he has to repay the loan back over a period of time. The Nigeria based guy has managed to buy a plot of land but there is no money to take his building plans to the next level. He also has a lot of hangers on who are family members who pluck some cash out of him from time to time. As you can see, Nigerians are very competitive by nature. We always want to keep up with others and we keep comparing ourselves to our friends. I believe in the Philosophy of staying where you are and making something out of your life. I believe I will start blossoming from where I am.

3. People Living Beyond Their Means: People return to Nigeria eventually because they don't understand the credit system that obtains in Europe and America. Nigerians are sometimes the architect of their own misfortunes in the UK. They run up so much credit card debts that beggars belief sad sad sad. All because they want to look good and show off when they are on holidays in Nigeria. Some people's finances are just messed up that they have no choice but to return to Nigeria to escape Credit and Debt Collectors. If you know you're not earning much money for now, why are you signing up to pricey Mobile Phone Contracts? Why are you signing up to expensive TV Contracts when you can watch TV on your laptop 9 Up to 700 Channels ) for a cheaper monthly subscription? These are the bills that are taking away your money lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. Some people invest so much in clothes and electrical gadgets abroad all in a bid to keep up appearances when they can start building their house gradually on a monthly basis in Nigeria. Why can't you buy your clothes online and look for bargains? Why must you eat out all the time when you can save some money by cooking at home? People do not also save some small money on a weekly or monthly basis which amounts to a substantial sum of money at the end of the year. Developing a savings habit is very vital.

4. Lack of Entrepreneurial Skills: There is a lot of money to be made by Nigerians abroad if they can just open their eyes and start thinking like the Asians. Nigerians need to start catering for the lack Communities wherever they are located. Nollywood and the Nigerian Music Industry is growing at a fast rate and Black Britons and Caribbean People will patronize events that are organized by enterprising Nigerians in the western world. I've been thinking along this line for some time now. It should not always be about opening African Food Stores and Beauty and Hair Salons. I'm yet to see a successful Black Entertainment Magazine in Europe unlike the USA. So there are opportunities for creative guys and ladies to make money abroad without necessarily returning back to Nigeria. The venture capitalists and investors are waiting to see Africans come up with some cool business ideas and they will surely back them up with some Capital. There is a lot to be done by Nigerians living in the Western World if they can cater for their communities by being very creative. All the structures to succeed are here. Just think deeply. Cheers.

5. Curses and Bad Luck: I don't have to dwell too much on this factor. Nigerians abroad need to connect with God regularly so as to stave off bad luck. Some people are not making progress in Europe because of Family Curses ( Generational Curses ) that are impeding their efforts. This has made some Nigerians return home due to frustration after working hard for so many years. May God continue to be with us all. Amen.

2 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by bobbyjabo: 3:15pm On Jun 16, 2012
drzed:

Let me help you re-phrase your statement so you can get a different perspective of your own argument/logic:

"the only Achievement majority of Nigerians in cities can boast of is EXPOSURE ...in my opinion, only the wise ones makes that bold step to relocate back to the villages.

How does that sound to you? Oya, we are waiting for you to relocate back to your village. Dont forget to take your 'exposure' along with you. And make sure you dont loose it (exposure) along the way o! cos that's the only thing you have over your village counterparts.

You are missing some points here! let me explain it to you..relocating from Village to City, you are still in the same country where you have equal RIGHT with the rest of the people in the city you relocate to. You can never have the same right with these white people coz its not your country and if you eventually become a citizen of that country theres still gonna be some kind of discrimination against you because of your skin colour and you will always be second citizen FACT!

And the point of this topic is ''What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria'' and part of the answer in my own opinion is EXPOSURE coz you are more expose to alot of things your mates back home are not expose to (thats if you have brain anywayz) no offense tho,just saying. let me give you a couple of Examples...

(1) James Ibori(Ex Governor of Delta State)...he took that bold step and relocate back to NIgeria coz he feels his brainy and expose enough to maneuver his way to riches in Nigeria which he couldnt do while he was living in UK and guess what eventually he did but overdo it(greediness) which landed him where he is today

(2) Michael Sata(President of Zambia)...He was a railway sweeper in london,he took that bold step and relocate back to his country and becomes the president of his fatherland

Bottomline is if you got brain and exposed,theres a better chance of you making it big in your fatherland than washing pots and sweeping the street in oversea SIMPLE.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Vergil: 3:15pm On Jun 16, 2012
drzed:

You have a good argument. However, it is also true that a lot of people wake up at 4.00am in Lagos just to be a molue conductor or sell Gala on Falomo bridge. Would you say their lives are better than every village dweller? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on which villager you are comparing them with, and it depends on what options would be available to them if they returned to the village.

Some people want to be in Lagos just for the heck of it. A fairly decent choice that we must all respect. Many others are in Lagos because they are actively supporting younger ones and aged parents in the village by waking up at 4.00am either to sell Gala - or work in a Bank. Hence, the same way people get up by 6.00am just to get to work in New York, London or Toronto....and they still support people back home in Nigeria, regardless of their skill level or salary. There is no option that is better or best. It all depends on the individual and his unique circumstance.

Where you live, work or call your home is a matter of choice or circumstances. Its not where you are from, but where you are -that really matters in the long run. Otherwise, most of us should vacate the towns and cities where we live/work today and relocate to our ancestral villages or hamlets. Are some diasporans better of in Nigeria? Most definitely. Are some Nigerian city hustlers better of in their villages? Most definitely.

Every choice in life has its consequences.

Man drzed,
U my guy are a smart, clear minded guy. All these jokas, maybe they're being paid or something, dunno. They make it seem all is rosy in Nige. Atleast, those toilet washers u spoke of can get to and fro from their toilet washing job in peace and stressfree. What wud u say about the office guy who always has to go thru stress to get to work. I mean, in the name of fairness, now compare the same toilet cleaner in nige, prob now staying in a "face u face u" building or under the bridge. Government don't even give too sh[i]i[/i]t about him/her to offer them a quality roof over his/her head, help take care of the kids they carelessly bring into the world, when they know no much income. Then only to wake up next day for the next round of stress which includes running after the bus, prob hanging on the bus, inhaling the acrid, black, smoky, colloidal, exhaust fume belching out of the bus E-T-fukin-C.
Boy, don't even let me go on maan! And u wud probably want to say, "so what, its ur country". Same dumbb country d leaders dnt give too sh[i]i[/i]t about or heck most of d civilians don't either. They'd rather fight for their own survival, even if it is at the expense of their neighbour. Prob do it to their face too, telling d neighbour, "u are slow" so on and so fort.

To answer the question: the reason some pple come back is cos of greed (which started from what they've been told by the "come back home" crusade), ego/hatred for the "land owners" aka white/Japanese/etc man (which is also stirred up and multiplied gr8LY by this same crusade), the genuineness to actually want to help the needy/country/give back AND all what the second poster (reply) on this thread said!
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by matrixme(m): 3:22pm On Jun 16, 2012
It's like we're taking this issue of "WASHING PLATES" to be a normal phrase like "eating breakfast". I'm not a diasporan, a proud Nigerian; but I'm finding it a very hard nut to crack, imagining degree holders as "professional plate washers". What an abuse of humanity! I'd rather be a menial worker with Julius Berger here than embracing such a disgusting career. I mean why don't their fellow countrymen (with better jobs!) lovingly advise them over there that things have not actually gone so bad to that extent back home? Please for the love of Christ!
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by drzed: 3:22pm On Jun 16, 2012
bobbyjabo:

You are missing some points here! let me explain it to you..relocating from Village to City, you are still in the same country where you have equal RIGHT with the rest of the people in the city you relocate to. You can never have the same right with these white people coz its not your country and if you eventually become a citizen of that country theres still gonna be some kind of discrimination against you because of your skin colour and you will always be second citizen FACT!

And the point of this topic is ''What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria'' and part of the answer in my own opinion is EXPOSURE coz you are more expose to alot of things your mates back home are not expose to (thats if you have brain anywayz) no offense tho,just saying. let me give you a couple of Examples...

(1) James Ibori(Ex Governor of Delta State)...he took that bold step and relocate back to NIgeria coz he feels his brainy and expose enough to maneuver his way to riches in Nigeria which he couldnt do while he was living in UK and guess what eventually he did but overdo it(greediness) which landed him where he is today

(2) Michael Sata(President of Zambia)...He was a railway sweeper in london,he took that bold step and relocate back to his country and becomes the president of his fatherland

Bottomline is if you got brain and exposed,theres a better chance of you making it big in your fatherland than washing pots and sweeping the street in oversea SIMPLE.

I surrender to your superior argument, now that you have clarified that EXPOSURE is only part (but not all) of the answer. I only wish you did not mention Ibori sha. The Michael Sata example (from street sweeper to president) is powerful enough . Lets not rule out the fact that people like Michael Sata may have also come back with some money they saved which helped to kick start their business and political careers. Fair enough, and thanks for clarifying yourself.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by justwise(m): 3:26pm On Jun 16, 2012
bobbyjabo:

Ok now i understand what some of you called 'making it in Nigeria' so a criminal (James Ibori) who has criminal record in the UK, not just one but two criminal records is somebody you are using as an example? Him and his wife were convicted for stealing in a supper market in the UK, Ibori was convicted for credit card fraud and he ran back to Nigeria to continue his crime career.

Where is he now? Are you not embarrassed that this is the kind of people you look up to?

2 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by chreldb(m): 3:29pm On Jun 16, 2012
drzed:

Firstly, there is no need to use foul language. We dey fight? We are here to share experiences or our opinion.

My point is, let us not simplify being abroad vs. returning to Nigeria in terms of frustration, deportation or economics. People have choices. Some people live in The Gambia not because it is better than Nigeria in all respects, but because that is where they have opportunities. Same way we have expatriates in Nigeria today working in our flour mills, bakeries, supermarkets, oil sector, schools and telecoms industries. It all depends on individual choices - and the circumstances that influence those choices.

This is why I always use the City vs. Village analogy. If my old man had remained in the Village, maybe I would have become the champion yam-farmer among my generation. He moved to a city and the rest is history. BUT, not all of my father's mates in the village are worse off today. Some did quite well. Including their children.

I really do not have time for this trash. my point is stop talking trash. you can continue in your fake pseudointelgence though that is non of my business. I REFRAIN FROM CONTRIBUTING TO THIS THREAD. I have said my own.

This was why (in my previous post) I agreed wholeheartedly with your earlier statement that 'diaspora no be heaven and Nigeria no be hell'.

Thats my point.

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 3:35pm On Jun 16, 2012
- Culture and sociability
- Career acceleration
- Money or improved disposable income
- Familiarity
- Family and friends
- Social class climbing (power) and chics that come with it
- Less rules and more flexibility
- No gays on the streets grin
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by drzed: 3:40pm On Jun 16, 2012
chreld_b:

[s]Firstly, there is no need to use foul language. We dey fight? We are here to share experiences or our opinion.

My point is, let us not simplify being abroad vs. returning to Nigeria in terms of frustration, deportation or economics. People have choices. Some people live in The Gambia not because it is better than Nigeria in all respects, but because that is where they have opportunities. Same way we have expatriates in Nigeria today working in our flour mills, bakeries, supermarkets, oil sector, schools and telecoms industries. It all depends on individual choices - and the circumstances that influence those choices.

This is why I always use the City vs. Village analogy. If my old man had remained in the Village, maybe I would have become the champion yam-farmer among my generation. He moved to a city and the rest is history. BUT, not all of my father's mates in the village are worse off today. Some did quite well. Including their children.[/s]

I really do not have time for this trash. my point is stop talking trash. you can continue in your fake pseudointelgence though that is non of my business. I REFRAIN FROM CONTRIBUTING TO THIS THREAD. I have said my own.
[s]

Thats my point.[/s]

1. Please make your OWN statements clear.
2. Dont misquote me by inserting/mixing your comments in the quote. A honest mistake, I presume.
3. I do not claim any 'pseudointelgence' as you put it.
4. Would you rather I sounded like a pseudo-idyot?
5. If giving my opinion (devoid of any insult or personal attack) upsets you, then that is not my fault.
6. Take it easy. This is Nairaland, not Angerland (just kiddin).
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by drzed: 3:48pm On Jun 16, 2012
Sagamite: - Culture and sociability
- Career acceleration
- Money or improved disposable income
- Familiarity
- Family and friends
- Social class climbing (power) and chics that come with it
- Less rules and more flexibility
- No gays on the streets grin

A very beautiful list. Permit me to add a few possible reasons:

- Saved start-up capital for business
- Political opportunity/appointment
- Joint venture with local colleagues/mates
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 16, 2012
After using ur Masters Degree to operate dish-washers and using Ecolab dish washing liquid to wash pots in hot sinks...

Omo, you no need person to tell you say it's time to go home... grin

I'm talking from experience grin and I thank God I took the bold step of coming home...I'm with a multinational in western nigeria... cool grin
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by BUSHMAN1: 4:21pm On Jun 16, 2012
drzed:

My point is, let us not simplify being abroad vs. returning to Nigeria in terms of frustration, deportation or economics. People have choices. Some people live in The Gambia not because it is better than Nigeria in all respects, but because that is where they have opportunities. The same way that (inspite of armed robbery, kidnapping, planes-falling-from-the-sky, boko haram, lack of electricity, corruption, etc) we have many expatriates in Nigeria today working in our flour mills, bakeries, supermarkets, oil sector, schools and telecoms industries. It all depends on individual choices - and the circumstances that influence those choices.

Thats my point.

TRUE TALK
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by gbollykore: 4:24pm On Jun 16, 2012
Where did people get the idea that everyone that live overseas wash dishes and do menial jobs,there are Nigerians that are professionals, business owners, and so on
Agreed some people might be doing odd jobs but when they think about their background they still thank God for the opportunity to be working in these countries, i know a guy whose family had it very rough growing up, He lives in the Usa and drives a cab and he has been able to do a lot for his family members, moved his parents out of the slum they grew up in, supported the younger ones and has even managed to build himself a house in Nigeria, just by driving a cab in the USA
the question is how many taxi drivers or how many carpenters are able to do this back home
Even though i live in the USA i love my country, and am very passionate about her, but lets face the fact we have a lot of unsolved problems in Nigeria, i always like to think in the context of an ordinary man in the streets of Lsgos , not the one that supposedly has a good job (that might not be there tomorow), if a family decides to stay abroad its their choice, they should therefore enjoy everyday of their lives
its not every Nigerian that live in the USA that wash dishes, some of us are employers of labour and have Americans that answer to us ( to the glory of God almighty)
lets not push the problem under the carpet, there are unaddressed problems in our country
Truly Nigerian

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by BUSHMAN1: 4:40pm On Jun 16, 2012
drzed:

1. Please make your OWN statements clear.
2. Dont misquote me by inserting/mixing your comments in the quote. A honest mistake, I presume.
3. I do not claim any 'pseudointelgence' as you put it.
4. Would you rather I sounded like a pseudo-idyot?
5. If giving my opinion (devoid of any insult or personal attack) upsets you, then that is not my fault.
6. Take it easy. This is Nairaland, not Angerland (just kiddin).

abeg! live that idi""ot! he sounds like a juvenile, am sure if he sees an oportunity to go and live abroad he will jump on it, and forgets all about NAIJA he is frustrated he is not getting any opportunity

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Laajman(m): 4:57pm On Jun 16, 2012
Interesting topic, as I happen to be have been away myself for a couple of years.

For everyone who has the chance, I think it is a great idea to live abroad, experience other cultures and generally see the world. Simply makes you a well-rounded individual.

This would only make sense, and be enjoyable, if you have your papers. No point playing hide-and-seek with Immigration if you are a young, educated person.

From my perspective, a major reason to return would be to make a difference. Employ my education/experience/exposure to make a difference in Naija. There is so much opportunity in Naija.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by MacLovington(m): 5:06pm On Jun 16, 2012
ol' boy you no tire? Many of the replies here show that many NLers are teenagers, either age-wise or brain-wise.
For one, I happen to know many doctors here in UK, all doing quite well. Nurses too are abundant.

Even a guy who was jobless in Naija after leaving Naija Premier uni came to the UK, did odd jobs, saved money, built a decent house and started a business back home. He returned for good to Naija 3 years ago and is doing well.
There would even be more robbers/criminals in Naija without the $10bn diasporans pump into the economy yearly. In some naija cities, real estate is about the only booming business partly due to diasporans. Some ajebutas (like our mis-leaders) cannot see beyond their noses. What is the rate of employment in Naija today? It cannot be less than 35%.
If everybody stayed in Naija, you might not have that bank/IT/telco/insurance/civil service/well-paid job you're doing now.
The bottomline is, whatever diasporans do abroad (hopefully not illegal), many have dragged themselve and many others back in Naija out of absolute poverty in a country without any welfare system. I know what am talking about.

gbollykore: Where did people get the idea that everyone that live overseas wash dishes and do menial jobs,there are Nigerians that are professionals, business owners, and so on
Agreed some people might be doing odd jobs but when they think about their background they still thank God for the opportunity to be working in these countries, i know a guy whose family had it very rough growing up, He lives in the Usa and drives a cab and he has been able to do a lot for his family members, moved his parents out of the slum they grew up in, supported the younger ones and has even managed to build himself a house in Nigeria, just by driving a cab in the USA
the question is how many taxi drivers or how many carpenters are able to do this back home
Even though i live in the USA i love my country, and am very passionate about her, but lets face the fact we have a lot of unsolved problems in Nigeria, i always like to think in the context of an ordinary man in the streets of Lsgos , not the one that supposedly has a good job (that might not be there tomorow), if a family decides to stay abroad its their choice, they should therefore enjoy everyday of their lives
its not every Nigerian that live in the USA that wash dishes, some of us are employers of labour and have Americans that answer to us ( to the glory of God almighty)
lets not push the problem under the carpet, there are unaddressed problems in our country
Truly Nigerian

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by express101: 5:11pm On Jun 16, 2012
drzed:

You have a good argument. However, it is also true that a lot of people wake up at 4.00am in Lagos just to be a molue conductor or sell Gala on Falomo bridge. Would you say their lives are better than every village dweller? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on which villager you are comparing them with, and it depends on what options would be available to them if they returned to the village.

Some people want to be in Lagos just for the heck of it. A fairly decent choice that we must all respect. Many others are in Lagos because they are actively supporting younger ones and aged parents in the village by waking up at 4.00am either to sell Gala - or work in a Bank. Hence, the same way people get up by 6.00am just to get to work in New York, London or Toronto....and they still support people back home in Nigeria, regardless of their skill level or salary. There is no option that is better or best. It all depends on the individual and his unique circumstance.

Where you live, work or call your home is a matter of choice or circumstances. Its not where you are from, but where you are -that really matters in the long run. Otherwise, most of us should vacate the towns and cities where we live/work today and relocate to our ancestral villages or hamlets. Are some diasporans better of in Nigeria? Most definitely. Are some Nigerian city hustlers better of in their villages? Most definitely.

Every choice in life has its consequences.
Eruditely written. Brilliant, with depth
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by drzed: 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2012
gbollykore: Where did people get the idea that everyone that live overseas wash dishes and do menial jobs,there are Nigerians that are professionals, business owners, and so on
Truly Nigerian

Thank you. This is precisely the point I have been trying to make.

People jump to assumptions that many Nigerians abroad are doing menial jobs, or they are illegal immigrants. These sorts of Nigerians are in the minority as far as being abroad is concerned. Nigerians that I have met/known abroad are probably the most intelligent and hard working people. We out-hustle everyone, including Indians and Chinese. Even in Ghana, they had to make laws that would make life difficult for Nigerians because we out-hustled the Ghanaians in their own territory.

To assume or imply that many diasporan Nigerians are frustrated and/or doing menial jobs (when they should have come back home) is therefore a misleading or inaccurate judgement. This is because (1) not everyone is frustrated abroad (2) not everyone has something better waiting for them back home (3) some people prefer to stay abroad just as some people prefer Port Harcourt to their village; (4) driving a taxi in New York is economically better than driving molue in Lagos; (5) many Nigerians are excelling abroad in ALL aspects of life (6) Most diasporans are contributing positively to the economic circumstances of their relatives back at home. Take it or leave it.

And what some people dont appreciate is that many of the decent, hard working Nigerians abroad are contributing positively to repair Nigeria's battered image abroad. I personally know of people in academia and industry who have confessed to me that they LOVE working with Nigerians because of their intelligence and hard work.

Yes, some Nigerians abroad are into crime, illegal immigration and some wash toilets. But like I always tell my Indian colleagues abroad: No matter what they do for a living, a st00pid or lazy Nigerian is a collectors item. He/she is very rare indeed.

So the issue of what motivates people who are abroad to return home boils down to either push or pull factors:

1. The Push factors:. These are the ORIGINAL circumstances that made them leave Nigeria in the first place (e.g. Abacha, ASUU strike, unsatisfactory education, joblessness, nepa, shina rambo, whatever) - and whether these circumstances are still valid today.

2, The Pull factors: These are the EMERGING circumstance that makes them want to return home today (e.g. Start-up capital, home-sickness, political appointment, a job offer, immigration status, whatever) - and whether the time is right to come back home.

Regardless of the motivation, for someone who has lived abroad for some time, returning to Nigeria requires risk assessment and risk management.

My experience has being that many Nigerians abroad prefer to be middle-class nobodies who enjoy the economic/personal security of their host countries, than the relative big-boyism in the midst of poverty/insecurity that obtains here at home .

Again, its down to personal choice and circumstances.

11 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by 3sky: 6:11pm On Jun 16, 2012
Isn`t NIGERIA they they talking about here]]]]] haaa NIGERIA where no single basic amenities is
present. when one person is a little bit fortunate he forgets about other millions that
are still lavishing in poverty. p
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by neuronin: 6:26pm On Jun 16, 2012
1. To reduce living abroad to "washing plates and toilets" is grossly incorrect and mischievous
2. Many who bad-mouth living abroad are not doing so in good faith
3. Many Nigerians in the diaspora are too far removed from realities back home that their judgements are coloured, they can not see beyond the daily negative headlines. How do you expect such to think about relocating?
4. Yes, there are many who do menial jobs but many also do them in Nigeria. Many have good jobs abroad, and many do the same in Nigeria.
5. I have met hundreds of Nigerians abroad whom I honestly feel should return to Nigeria. And in the face of the present global socio-economic realities, I believe more Nigerians in diaspora should objectively consider relocating.
6. However, it would be difficult for people without competitive academic credentials and/experience,or a mountain of cash, to relocate. Many of the people you left at home have not been stagnant either!
7. I am relocating next month. I have been to the major countries of the world where Nigerians live but I am not staying.I even turned down a temporary job offer. With a PhD, I am convinced my future is in Nigeria.
8. But that is me!In the final analysis, it is a matter of choice.
Whatever works for you, do it!

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 16, 2012
Omo I Love my Naija, I don travel and see, I no travel again...lol

I no fit live as a second class citizen, if I do my part by getting educated, and you say you go relegate me to kitchen, thank God Naija dey where I fit shine wella!

Beta house, beta ride, beta weather, better jab, no restriction as regards discipline meted on children and wards, no yeye taxation system, no heavy utility bills, my borehole and gen dey, I sabi road to go fill up my gas cylinder...

One day we go make Naija beta for all by fire by force...

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by fnk: 6:38pm On Jun 16, 2012
I can back because I see a lot of opportunities in the country. Not only for yourself but you can also do more to help others. When I came back in 2006, I set up a company and was able to employ about 15 people who through the job and the salaries they get were able to make progress in their lives. Getting married and having children. I could never have been able to do that in the U.S. Also after living overseas for so many years, looking into the country (Nigeria) or even Africa as a whole, you can see more opportunity in almost everything. And it can be a lot easy to maneuver because the truth is that the conditions on ground is not your reality. You can always jet out if it ever comes to it. So being in this kind of position, give you power and helps you enjoy the country even with bad road, no light etc. because you know that if push comes to shove, you can always dust off your passport and head out.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 16, 2012
Sorry to say, I see this as a bashing thread for people living abroad. angry The Op asked for reasons why people moved back home and now we're reading about idiots living and buying properties abroad. Nigerians and their hate sha. Facts:
1. Whether you want to live abroad or not is your choice and doesn't make you stupid
2. There is dignity in labor. What is wrong with making an honest living? whether it is washing plates, etc, it doesn't matter. That's why everyone in Naija wants to hammer fast because they don't want to do the 'low' level work. That's why 419 is rampant. There is nothing wrong also in deciding that you don't want to do 'low' level work. Just don't become dishonest in the process of looking for high level work.
3. It's not all Nigerians abroad that are washing plates. Some have bought properties and are well respected in their places of work
4. Its a pity that people see evading taxes and 'bleeping' underage girls without getting caught and all what not as a good reason for moving back or staying in Naija. When your roads are not fixed, please no one should talk about the government. Oil money rightly should be used for the communities where the oil is found with royalties being paid to the government. Even at that, those who own the oil money will still pay tax. (I'm saying this because some people will now use excuse of having oil money to say Nigerians shouldn't pay tax)

In conclusion, please limit your contributions to your own experiences without bashing anyone. Respect for others is one thing we still lack. It doesn't matter what choices anyone makes. Stop the hating!

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by claremont(m): 6:43pm On Jun 16, 2012
The only thing I miss about Nigeria is the food and the ladies I used to sleep with. I dey kampe for UK here, Naija no bi am oh! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Gets US Visa Priority Attention With Brazil & China / National Carrier: Sirika Meets Aircraft Manufacturers Investors In UK / Anambra Airport Upgraded To Operate Boeing 700-737 And Equivalent Planes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.