Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

The Leader Who Live Above The Expectation Of Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Leader Who Live Above The Expectation Of Nigerians (794 Views)

"Buhari Is Not The Leader Of The APC, We Have Many Leaders - Lai Mohammed / 5 GEJ Ministers That Didn't Live Up To Expectation / Akwa Ibom State Politics: How Expectation Of N150b Bond Is Delaying Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Leader Who Live Above The Expectation Of Nigerians by Kitomania(m): 10:26am On Jun 09, 2012
Usman Adamu wrote:

TODAY IN HISTORY!!!

I am aware that when the shrill voice of one brigadier Sani Abacha was heard over the Nigerian Radio on 31 December 1983, most Nigerians knew little or nothing about me.
Although I had a clear purpose for making that broadcast, I never envisaged that I will subsequently play a prominent role in Nigerian politics or still less head the Nigerian nation.
I see myself with all sense of humility, as someone destined to play roles I never had ambition for. Granted that as a soldier, I am supposed to pursue a career and reach its peak by commanding the Army. Yet, I did not see that as a reason for joining the army.
As a young man, I was simply in love with the army because I considered it the most serious of all professions and a good opportunity for national service. As a young man, I cherished straightforward behaviour.
I cherished firmness. I despised talking or writing too much. I lover brevity and precision. I hated cowardice I hated moving in crowds. I naturally felt that all these qualities could fmd accommodation in no other profession than the Army. Ordinarily, have bothered to tell the story of my life. However, circumstance and destinies have combined to put me in a position that even if I do not write, people will write about me.
People will project me, as many have already done, in different ways, saying what I?m and what I?m not, laying emphasis where I will not and vice versa. To put records straight or at least provide insights that may make for a better comprehension of who I?m, what I saw, what I did and what my visions are, I decided, albeit reluctantly, to write my own story.
As an army officer, my life has been a big routine revolving around family and professional practice. I never held any political appointment until providence shot me up to the position of Minister of defence. Even then, I never thought that I was playing an overt political role because I was still in the midst of soldiers and attending to largely military matters.
Following the return of the military to power in 1993 and the role I played in the process, many might have expected me to take up a political appointment. I did not. Instead, I went for a pure military posting. Again following the attempted coup of April 1990, many chaotic situations to take over. I bluntly refused because I believe in stability, orderliness and loyalty.
I abhor opportunism. I adore challenge and above all I like taking hard decisions. Once my conscience is clear, I have no-go areas neither do I believe that anything nor anybody is untouchable in matters, which threaten collective good. Many of the instances which suggest that I believe otherwise, were circumstances in which I had to go with the collective will of the great majority of members of the armed forces, especially in situations which threaten to destroy what our founding fathers so laboriously established and which had taken a painstaking thirty-month civil war to restore.
The story I am about to narrate is the story of a Kano boy from a business and a politically inclined family who chose the military as his as his career and who, by providence, rose to head both the military and the Nigerian nation. this is the story of my life, the story of the stages through which I passed, of the roles which I played, of the challenges which I encountered and of the decision which I took. it is the story of how perceived and reacted to events at the time they occurred and what, with the benefit of the hindsight, where the options I should have taken .hopefully, my commission or omissions will be beneficial to those who my fmd themselves having to take military or political leadership decision in the generations to cam or those who will analyse my action or inaction for posterity.( however, the following biography is not the one being implied by the late head of state).
The late head of state and commander-in-chief of the Nigerian armed forces, General Sani Abacha was born in Kano on September 20, 1943.
He enlisted in to the Nigerian Military College, Jaji, and MONS Officer?s cadet college, United Kingdom.
He was commissioned 2nd lieutenant in 1963 and promoted full lieutenant in 1966, captain in 1967, major in 1970, lt.Col. In 1972, colonel in 1975, Brig- general in 1980, Major General in 1984, Lt-General in 1987 and General in 1990.
General Sani Abacha held many command positions in the Nigerian army including Commander, 2 division training Depot; Commander Support wing and chief Instructor Nigerian Army School of infantry, Jaji, 1971-1975 and commander, to infantry Brigade 1975-1978.
He was commander 9 Mechanized Brigade, 1981-1983. he became General Officer Commanding 2 Mechanized Division, 1984.in 1985, General Abacha was the chief of Army Staff from August 1985 to April 1990 and later became the chairman, joint chief of staff from December 29, 1989 to September 2, 1990.he was appointed chief of defence on September 3, 1990 to November 1992.he became the secretary for defence chief of defence staff in 1992 to November 16, 1993.
General Sani Abacha assumed Office as the head of state and commander in chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces on November 17, 1993 to June 8, 1998, on a National Rescue Mission.
The Late Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha was the first Army Officer to serve as the Chief of Army Staff for five years.
He was also the first Army Officer to become a full General (Four Star), before he became the Head of State.
Few of the late head of state and commander-in-chief of the Nigerian armed forces, General Sani Abacha?s achievements include the construction of the federal House of Representatives complex, Abuja, as a major step taken towards the realisation of a stable and durable democracy in this country.
As the late Head of state and C-in-C of the Armed Force Federal Republic of Nigeria, he brought peace, unity and understanding by applying democratic approach to solve delicate and serious problems capable of not only causing havoc in this country, but could as well lead to the country?s total disintegration, thereby causing bloodshed and total loss of peace and unity.
Late head of state and C-in-C of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha in his gifted power to stabilize the social, political and economic status of Nigerian, introduced the National Constitutional Conference where the country?s constitution was deliberated and endorsed to favour each and every Nigerian Regardless of ethnic, tribal, religious or sectional affiliation that healed the political sickness that plagued the Nigerian political system and restored sanity in it.
His decision to divide the country in to six zones further paved way to interested Nigerians to feel free and involve themselves fully in Nigerian political arena. Similarly, Nigerians were given the opportunity to form their own political associations, some of which were duly registered by the National Electoral Commission, NECON. It should not be forgotten that foreign observes, who cam to Nigeria to assess the political programme, gave the late Head of state and commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha a pass mark and praised him greatly on the issue. On the other hand, for the first time in Nigerian History, the late General Abacha devised means of getting all sections of the country to participate actively in governance the some time, by adopting the six geo-political zones. He nearly completed a successful transition to civil rule programme with the registration of five political parties.
The late head of state and commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Abacha also established the federal character Commission, to deal with the imbalance in federal appointments in both the Civil service and the Parastatal and to put to rest the issue the marginalization , which has plagued Nigeria.
He also established the National Reconciliation Committee as a method of settling disputes through dialogue instead of the barrel of the gun. That alone taught the world a lesson in conflict resolution.
The exemplary leader on the other hand, established the devolution of power Committee to reduce the enormous concentration of power at the federal level to the states and local governments, in order to ensure a more stable Nigeria.
The late General Abacha in his effort to address the hardship being encountered by Nigerian workers, instructed for the implementation of the new salary structure so as to facilitate job satisfaction and inculcate in the minds of workers, the feeling of patriotism and dedication to duty.
Further more, the construction of the federal Housing Units in various part of the country, had drastically minimized the acute shortage of accommodation which workers used to face.
In order to answer the call of women believed to form the majority of the population in the country, the late head of sate and commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha Created the Ministry for women?s problems. That gave Nigerian woman the chance to participate actively in the country?s social, political and economic activities.
He also gave full moral backing to the family support Programme. (ESP)
Similarly, the family Economic advancement Programme also received funds from the government of the late head of state and Commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha in order to make the programme a reality. Individuals who formed various cooperative societies were given loans to boost their small-scale industries; handiwork and petty trading to enable them sustain their respective families.
And in order to reduce the rate of infant morbidity and mortality rate in the country, the government of the late head of state and Commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha fully financed the activities of t he National Programme on Immunization (NPI), So as to facilitate the eradication of the six-killer diseases among the children and expectant mother in the country.
This has been described as the first ever health programme to be introduced in Nigeria, Africa and the world at large.
Another unforgettable venture created by the Government of the late Head of sate and Commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces General Sani Abacha, is the petroleum (Special) Trust Fund (PTF).
It was a unique initiative.
The first of its kind in Nigeria, Africa and the entire World. The fund?s activities in all the nooks and crannies of this country can be seen and felt. These include the provision of good roads, reliable bridges, and durable hospitals, introduced Drug revolving Scheme in the country and built the international tread Fair complex in kaduna.on the other hand, the Armed Forces and Police PTF also renovated the Barracks, the schools, the houses, the offices and put new Structures where necessary, to make life more conducive in the Barracks. Similarly, water and electricity were also provided in several Barracks for the General welfare of members of the armed forces and the Police. All these projects were aimed at improving the life standard of each and every Nigerian discreetly initiated by the late General Sani Abacha.
Vision 2010 is another milestone created by the Government under the leadership of the late Head of sate and commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha. Long-term Plans for the country to make it self-reliant politically and economically have been designed and implemented. These plans have already been in progress so as to transform Nigeria in to a more conducive and developed country. This will also fashion the way forward for Nigeria to join other nations in socio-economic and political advancement
He was also able trough his dynamic and exemplary leadership; reduce the country?s external debt portfolio from $32 b to $26 b.
He was able to revamp Nigeria?s foreign reserve as each and every Nigerian has witnessed.
Having observed how the majority of Nigerians were facing transportation problem, the government of the late general Sani Abacha introduced Federal Mass Assisted Bus service nationwide.
Town service and inter-state service have been offered to commuters at subsidized fares. Millions of people have been benefiting from this project every minute of the day.
The reactivation of the Nigerian Railways is also another breakthrough initiated by the Government of late head of sate and commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha. The rail lines were updated and renovated while new coaches were purchased and put into use for the benefit of the masses on the one hand for those who wish to transport their goods to other states at subsidized charges, safety, easily, and cheaply on the other hand.
The Nigeria Ports Authority was also given complete face-lift .Modern equipment and new ships were bought and those broken-down repaired and put in to use. These include the ship bought in Poland in 1994. Similarly, an agreement was reached to train Nigerians how to build and maintain ships of different sizes and models.
And in his effort to find other sources of revenue and the over-dependence on oil be minimized, the late head of sate and Commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, created the Ministry of Solid Mineral Resources with a mandate to explore and, find market for the abundant raw material this country has been blessed with.
Reactivating the Ajaokuta Rolling Mill to the last quarter of completion capacity was enough to earn the late General Sani Abacha Any Worldly Praise, his determination to make Nigeria self-reliant in terms of sourcing its own raw materials through the gigantic project would save a lot of foreign reserve.
Reactivating farm produce, especially cash corps like Cocoa, also received the late General?s blessings. The tremendous encouragement given to farmers to re-introduce the traditional farming system gave them the chance to spend less and gain more on their farms, while the local fertilizer firms in the country were encouraged to produce more as well as sell their products, which enhanced their earnings.
The call for the creation of more local governments and states in the country by some Nigerians who felt either neglected or deprived of their human rights as citizens of this country, was finally answered by the government of late head of sate and Commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha, Because he created 183 local government areas and six states in the country and that finally cooled down tempers. Further more, he created the state and urged them to be self ?reliant, thus given them no funds as take-off and eventually making their creation much less expensive.
The late head of state and C-in-C of Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha, in his effort to contribute his quota in establishing a lasting peace and unity between members of the Nigerian Armed Forces, established the war college and renovated the Barracks and mad them more conducive.
The Sani Abacha Foundation centre, Abuja, as another discovery, which will be vividly seen in the history of this country. The Foundation is meant to foster peace, Unity and cordial relationship between Nigeria and the other countries of the world. Similarly, Sani Abacha Youth centre, Kano, is an institution which offers both Administrative and professional courses to our teeming youths to prepare them to pursue higher courses in our higher institutions of learning so as to attain better positions in various offices or become Self-reliant in due course.
To put Nigeria on a sound economic footing, the late General Sani Abacha created the Nigeria liquefied Natural Gas Limited (NLNG).The project provides basis for commercialization of the extensive gas reserve in Nigeria and is a mechanism for an enormous reduction in the level of gas flaring, realizing a major environmental benefit. It also provides the opportunity for the development of new reserve, both offshore and onshore, with immediate utilization of the associated gas.
Economically, the pigging of the Naira to a Dollar brought sanity to the Nigerian markets and stabilized the prices of essential commodities by completely addressing inflation from a whopping 168% to 6, 3% between 1994 and May, 1998. (Courtesy of world Bank economic Release). The system also created more room for more trade and other business transactions.
The late Head of state and C-in-C of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha, politely refused to receive the IMF or the World Bank loan.
Another factor created by the late head of state and C-in-C of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha, which will go down in to the annals of the Nigerian history, is the draining of River Niger, a sole effort initiated and implemented by him. That alone is enough to make him a hero. Once the project is commissioned, the benefit to be derived from it, economically and socially, could hardly be assessed.
The creation of aluminium Smelting plant of Nigeria is another breakthrough, which will go down in to Nigerian history of the benefit of our future generation. Considering the Socio-Economic and political status of Lagos state, its population the availability of Army Barracks, the Sea Port, the International Airport, having people from all walks of life, the embassies of several countries and being that Lagos was the former capital city of Nigeria, it should be anticipated that such a city must to be protected from anti-social problems (e.g. The Area Boys/Armed Robberies) and other related crimes which devastated the lives and businesses of the community residing in the city. The Late Head of state and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha gave them his blessing because he cam to their aid. He deliberately appointed Colonel Buba Marwa, a suitable, educated and seasoned military officer, who triumphantly restored sanity and created development projects in the state.
As the National Population Commission, the administration of the Late General Sani Abacha was eventful. His unequivocal acceptance of the final tabulations of Census?91 crowned the labour and successes for the Commission to look into the future with a renewed sense of optimism in the otherwise arduous assignment of providing accurate and reliable data for the country.
The re-designing, sustaining and completion of Abuja Phase 11, the Federal Capital of Nigeria, should be seen as another wonderful achievement of the late head of state and C-in-C of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha. The full backing of the exploration of oil in Bauchi, Gombe and Borno states should also be seen as a climax of another achievement of the Government of the late General Sani Abacha. The project, besides serving Nigerians at their doorsteps, would as well be another means of the federal government?s revenue drive.
In his bid to save the country from total disintegration and another civil war, the late head of state and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha proscribed the countries labour union and replaced them with more reliable bodies. That was the only move capable of saving this nation from an unpredictable chaos. The nation was therefore saved and the purpose was achieved.
The late General Sani Abacha?s modest approach to life made him address?s himself as the Head of state and NOT as the President. He also called his Government the provisional Ruling Council, which he headed. That alone is enough to show that right firm the beginning; he was heading a transitional Government and not a Full-Pledged Government.
The late Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha detribalized Nigeria right from the top to the bottom because he appointed his Military Administrators and assigned them to states not of their origin, so that patriotism would prevail. Records have shown that the initiative has been very successful. This could be seen where Col. Dominique Oneya was assigned to Kano State, Col. Buba Marwa to Lagos State, Commdr. Raji Rasaki to Bouchi, etc; and they performed very well.
The Lat Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Abacha, in his bid to give each and every Nigerian his/her deserved human rights Commission to look in to all the social life of Nigerians with any genuine problem and solve it for them once and for all.
Nigerian are living witnesses about what Gen. Yakubu Gowon was accused of doing in this country. He was accused of being involved in Murtala coup, which made him, go on self-exile. After several years, Northern elders were confronted and urged to forgive and forget and they did go won returned home and he is now one of the country?s elders. There was never a time when his people turned their back on him.
On the other Hand, Late General Abacha should have conducted a thorough investigation on the Shonekan led government but he didn?t do it. So it is not only ridiculous to see how some people furiously attack the families of the late head of state in magazines and newspapers by blackmailing them through character assassination, but also it is unbelievable because this is a man who instituted the federal character commission, the failed bank tribunal, the Economic Intelligence Commission to mention but few, then for God?s sake how could a man with such a vision do anything to deform his principles?
And another mystery is that why didn?t those who accuse the Lat Head of State, C-in-C, the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, General Sani Abacha of wrongdoing (because they know that he can not cam out now and defend himself) , refuse to pull out of his government? What did their continuous stay in his government means? One single person can not lead a government, can he? So why is it always Abacha! Abacha! Abacha! How clean are the hands of those who accuse him of wrong doing? Think about it. Likewise, the Late General Abacha?s patriotism and exemplary leadership earned him the seat of the Chairman for ECOWAS for two consecutive terms. He also gave his full support towards the successful implementation of the ECOWAS Travelers?Check.
His love for the peace, progress and development of Africa made him contribute immensely in restoring peace and stability in the war-torn Liberia. Democracy was restored, elections successfully held and the Government of President Charles Tailor cam into power. Similarly, the democratically elected President Tijjen Kabah took over the mantle of leader ship of the Government of Sierra Leone, through the efforts of the Late Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha. That benevolent effort saved millions of lives of the Sierra Leonean and avoided the destruction of their property. No right thinking person would ever forget this humanitarian gesture.
During the time of the Late General Sani Abacha, As the Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, diplomatic ties with the neighbouring countries were strengthened while improved communion with Asian countries was carried out.
The Late General Sani Abacha was, during his life time, highly decorated and had earned the following honours:
Grand Commander of the Niger (GCON)
Order of the Federal Republic (OFR)
Defence Service Medal (DSM)
Nation Service Medal (NSM)
General Service Medal (GSM)
Republic Medal (RM)
Silver Jubilee Medal (SJM)
Force Service Star (FSS)
Distinguished Service Star (DSS)
Meritorious Service Star (MSS)
Member, National Institute for policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, Jos, (min).

Another achievement worth mentioning is that the late General Sani Abacha was the only Officer who followed the systematic rank of the Army from 2nd Lieutenant to the General without skipping any post.
His dedication to duty had earned him the Legion of Merit award in USA in 1991 for his unique contribution to the military, especially his role in restoring democracy in Liberia and Sierra Leone.
In a nutshell, some of the Late Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha?s Achievements during his tenure of office, include the establishment of the :
Construction of the Federal House of Representatives
The National Constitutional Conference
The Petroleum (Special) Trust Fund (PTF)
Supported and Financed the National Programme on Immunization.(NPI)
The Federal Character Commission
The National Electoral Commission of Nigeria
The Registration of Five Political Parties
The Zero Party Election
The State Assembly Election
The Failed Banks Tribunal
Revamped Nigerian Foreign Reserve
Introduced the Federal Mass Assisted Bus Service
Reactivated the Nigerian Railways
Revived the Nigerian Ports Authority
Established the Ministry for Solid Mineral Resources
Put New Life to Agriculture
Reactivated the Ajakuta Steel Rolling Mill
Established the War College
Founded the Sani Abacha Foundation
Established the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas Limited
Pegged the Naira to a Dollar
Politely refused to Receive the IMF and World Bank Loans
Fully Backed the dredging of the River Niger
Fully Supported and Financed Oil exploration in Bauchi
Gave the National Population Commission Total Banking
Established the Aluminium Smelting Company
Initially introduced the new Salary Structure
Building of the Federal Housing Units Nationwide
Drastically Reduced the external Debt
Detribalized Nigeria?s Political System
Established the Export Processing Zone
National Deposit Insurance Corporation
Introduced Value Added Tax (VAT)
National Reconciliation Committee
Proscribed the Labour Unions to Save Nigeria From Total Disintegration
Sanitized and Developed Lagos State through the Appointment of Co. I Buba Marwa
Transition Implementation Committee
Liberated the Bakassi Peninsula
Fought unnecessary foreign intervention in our Internal Affairs
Fought foreign dependency syndrome
Created Six New States and 183 local Government Councils
Re-activated, Sustained and Financed the Completion of Abuja Phase 11
Committee on Devolution of Power
National Economic Intelligence Committee
Vision 201O
Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development

And many more Socio-economic and Political achievements only History will tell and reserve for the country's Future generation.
The Hobbies of the Late Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha, included Lawn Tennis and Squash.
He travelled very widely both within the country and abroad. He had visited the USA, Asia, Europe, Russia and Several African and Arab countries and mad a lot of friends.
He had also attended various courses both at home and abroad.
The Late Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha died in the early hours of Monday morning on June 8, 1998, after a brief illness and he was buried in his hometown, Kano, according to Muslim rites.
Considering the number of people who attended his funeral and by reading the good things people wrote about him in the condolence Registers, and the pleasing prayers said for him, his contributions to his fatherland, his philanthropic and human gesture, his uprightness and determination to find out the truth about matters crossing his path before passing judgement, one would unwaveringly say that that the Late GENERAL
SANI ABACHA has lived a fruitful and successful life worthy of emulation.
He left behind him, his wife, Doctor (Mrs.) Maryam Sani Abacha and nine children.
May his soul rest in perfect peace, amen.

(1) (Reply)

What Do U Think Of Bishop Mathew Kuka As Nigerian President In 2015 / Nigerian Versisties Licences Susoended...madonna Et All / Governor Theo Orji Of Abia State Has Handed Over 30 Patrol Vans Nigerian Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.