Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,045 members, 7,859,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:03 PM

Bored? Let Me Tell You Why Occupy Nigeria Was A Colossal Failure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bored? Let Me Tell You Why Occupy Nigeria Was A Colossal Failure (593 Views)

I Fear Ambode Would Be A Colossal Failure:::::::::::::::::: / Adams Unaji Is Dead (Occupy Nigeria Activist) / Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bored? Let Me Tell You Why Occupy Nigeria Was A Colossal Failure by vowiski(m): 5:53pm On Jun 09, 2012
The BusYwIRE writes: Firstly, let me apologize to all the innocent people who thought they had Occupied Nigeria during the protest against the removal of petroleum subsidy on fuel in the early weeks of the year 2012. I understand that you may think I am deluded or think that I have nothing new to write because this is coming rather too late, but I can tell you right now that correcting a wrong is never too late and I can also argue it till eternity that the so-called protest branded with the name OccupyNigeria was a mere jamboree; a festival that lacked direction, a celebration of our collective nescience, an aberration from the standards of purpose-driven protests. Pardon me if you think I am insane, but I am certain I wouldn’t be more insane than a group of people who incautiously left their homes to partake in an unholy union of thugs, frauds, schemes and pathetic attention seekers. OccupyNigeria was prematurely set-up and it was evident on the way it operated, it ought to be ultimate revolution that would end the constant pixilated government economic and political cannibalism. But it failed, and my heart pricked not because I ever had faith in the ineffectual movement but because a lot of people were disappointed. (coughs… Richard, a good critic of mine and an ardent follower of the group, nothing I say or write ever appeals to him, but once his eyeballs stumbles upon this.. I am pretty sure he can change his mind about me, only if he has got balls though). That said and done, let me explain how the movement started.

How Did OccupyNigeria Start?

On the 1st of January 2012, the federal government made the most callous statement by announcing the total removal of petroleum subsidy on fuel. Naturally, such an announcement will send shockwaves across the entire nation and surely it did. There was an automatic response form the organized labour and before the umbrella body could decided on an approach to tackle the government, people began venting their displeasure on the implementation of this policy on Social networks, people from different states started announcing different points of meet-up joints for their respective protests via twitter and facebook. I watched people mobilize themselves in Ibadan, Minna, Lagos, Abuja, benin etc. and before long, OCCUPY NIGERIA was hatched. This was the Genesis, the beginning of an over-hyped revolutionary movement that would end dictatorship and cannibalism in Nigeria covered with the blanket of democracy.

What led to OccupyNigeria colossal failure?

Continue Reading
Re: Bored? Let Me Tell You Why Occupy Nigeria Was A Colossal Failure by vowiski(m): 3:47am On Jun 10, 2012

(1) (Reply)

$3m Bribe Scandal: Farouk Lawan Owns Up / Marked Dollars Have Been Stolen,” – Farouk Lawan / Kaduna/zaria Church Bombings: CAN, CHAIN Fault Tambuwal’s Comment On Reprisal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.