Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,034 members, 7,841,931 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! (876 Views)

Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! by onomeasike: 1:10am On Jun 10, 2012
for those testing the waters to guage what reaction will likely follow the senate passing of the rumoured name change of prestigeous University of Lagos-the university of First choice and the nations pride.Let me burst their bubble.

1, They(i mean reno omokri-I ve stoped calling him beaf so the infamy of that name reno omokri will stick to our memory in case we run into any omokri in life) want to stampede the senate with a propaganda that does little or nothing to improve the senate in the eye of the public.The senate will not fall for that trap.Jonathan will take paracetamol for his own headache.

2.It is fool hardy to assume that the senate will inherit the political liability of passing that bill in the face of mounting opposition.for as long as this does not happen,UNILAG REMAINS UNILAG.

3.It is fool hardy to assume that the national assembly will pass that bill if it is not accompanied by the cost implication of changing the name of university of Lagos to the federal govt.Clearly,this expense is not stated in the 2012 budget so in the face of the law,there is no money for rebranding and renaming expense for university of Lagos alone(the other university are not set u by any parliamentary act and they are already using the name)

4.The bill just got a taste of what to expect when it was read by the speaker of the house of rep Hon. Tambuwal-the reading was greeted with so much murmuring and clearly,if one goes by the report of Punch newspaper, that letter can only be brought up for second reading if it is considered necessary.

5. The national assembly will not dabble into a matter that is already in the court as it is usually done in past issues.

6.The national assembly will likely re-activate their earlier endorsement and subsequent recommendation of the renaming of the national stadium after Abiola which Jonathan pretends to be ignorant of.This time he would be reminded of the earlier resolution of the national assembly which was declined by obasanjo.Clearly his failure to rename the national assembly or reactivate the resolution is clearly an attempt to snatch the glory from the national assembly which was the first arm of govt to moot an idea to immortalise Abiola.The executive cant reap where they never sowed!

7.The northerners have intelligently deciphered that the whole renaming agenda is to kick start the jonathan 2015 presidential campaign which gej wants to use for political campaign,they will be stupid to allow jonathan!Combine this bloc opposition to already established opponents,the picture of defeat bcomes clearer.

8.PDP clearly is not comfortable that they can not reap a political benefit in this renaming saga.clearly it is not a priority (compare it to salami saga)in the face of a possible loss of political relevance completely in the south-west and 2015 votes for elective offices including the presidency.

9.That alumni of Unilag in the national assembly ,sitting governors ,past political leaders etc and influencial people who have relatives and children associated with unilag will do nothing to frustrate this bill is a political blunder by GEJ.Clearly,GEJ underrated UNILAG influence.I am sure if it was his alma matter uniport that got changed,it would not have attracted this kind of popular revolt and debate.It tells you that Unilag is not a small fry.This singular blunder including others done by GEJ will cost the PDP the presidency in 2015.

10.That this resulted in closure of the school has embellished the decision as a controversial and unpopular decision.It will remain so and unlike the military era,it will not be obeyed and embrassed.

11.Rather than improving his rating in the SW,UNILAG gave him a bruised nose.Most people are now convinced that GEJ is not intelligent and competent.Most of his past decisions are now being understood/compared as similar to the unilag one.

12.Clearly the opinion of the majority is that the renaming of a university should not be the riority of a serious leadership in the face of mounting security challenges,unemployment,lack of electricity,de-industrialisation of the country etc

[b]15 Reasons Why The Renaming of UNILAG Is WRONG

Posted: June 7, 2012 - 21:08

By Odi

1. Its a decision in bad faith - The president did not really intend to Honour the presumed winner of the June 12 election its a cheap shot. In fact I casts serious doubts on his belief as M.K.O being the presumed winner of that election.

2. Perhaps the biggest insult to the memory of M.K.O is to consider this irony: Here lies a man who paid the supreme sacrifice to usher in era of democracy in our country. A man who for the first time ever in the history of the Federal Republic won north south east and west. Here sits a man who was only able to get into the office of the president first by accident, then by only winning only south because of arrogance of the north, chooses to name a University in the south west in the name of M.K.O and the slap is: he does so in a manner that would have been used by the people who murdered M.K.O. If this is not slap then I wonder what is!

3. It cheapens the memory of M.K.O, besides the regional undertones. Why not spend the money you might have spent on this rebranding of Unilag towards say renaming Aso Villa to the M.K.O house?

4. There were no consultations on the process with any of the stakeholders its a decision by fiat. The exact antithesis of what Nigerian students (especially Unilag students) fought and died its an insult to their memory.

5. Unilag was busy burying the amiable and hardworking erstwhile V.C. Prof. Sofoluwe R.I.P. Even if Mr. Jonathan lacks respect ( I think he just didn’t think it through), there is clearly a break in protocol.

6. This is an insult to the other arms of government. See point below.

7. It’s an illegal decision contrary to what some popular opinion the federal government does own Unilag. But recall, the federal government has three arms the The Judiciary, The legislature and The executive (of which Mr. Jonathan is leading). In all, they are temporary custodians of the people. So he must consult the other arms of Government before changing a law. Sometimes I fear the present is so clueless he might abrogate himself. Note what I have done calling the president Mr. Jonathan - he is a disgrace to the institution of a PhD - so I take the liberty of stripping him off it, its no different from what he has done to Unilag

8. Though in some quarters its been argued that Harvard, Columbia and such have done the same (I am looking at you, Nduka Obaigbena). Well you cannot compare this it’s not a sensible comparison because that was in the 19th and early 2oth centuries. In the 21st century, names have been made and branding is important. This was an age when one person could cover all the sciences in a single B.Sc. In this age this is not possible. So Nduka you are wrong!

9. While Harvard was changing its name the world was small in fact very small, you probable have to just switch 4 pages to complete the name change. Now, the world is so interconnected it makes no sense.

10. Columbia changed its name when it was really that relevant. Why don’t you say the same for Cambridge eh? They only named Churchill college after him. Again Nduka, your views might seem clever but its evident they are half baked - and I am being kind here.

11. Following from the above point, though I agree on the global scale Unilag does not amount to much but it’s working hard. Unilag graduates are everywhere in some of best Universities in the world. This Mr. Jonathan is throwing spanners in our works.

12. Unilag students do want this name, Unilag Staff do not want it, Unilag Alumni do not want it, Unilag well wishers do not want it. So Mr. Jonathan, you are aware these people have made Unilag what it is. So how can you force upon them a name they completely and absolutely reject?

13. Recent polls clearly show that majority of Nigerians do approve of this name change. So Mr. Jonathan are you a democrat? Or are you being inanely stubborn?

14. Its an expense that is does not make sense. So Mr. Jonathan did you calculate how much it costs to effect this name change. I mean all the costs? This is cost which, following from point 12 nobody wants to incur, why bill them for it? Are you prepared to pay for it from your bloated salary?

15. The University of Lagos is now closed. Thank you Mr. Jonathan know this, you are never ever welcome to set foot on the grounds of the University of LAGOS...EVER!

Notes:

This issue is not “Unilag Shakara”, its not about M.K.O’s family views, its not about Unilag not respecting M.K.O (many Unilag students got maimed for him, some died), Its about Unilag babes (I had to put this in somewhere), its not about unruly, arrogant, over educated or mentally aggressive Akokites (and yes we are all that and more).

This is an issue about a clueless president, dazed by an office he is unprepared, scared out of his wits by opposition looking for a cheap shot to ingratiate himself with bonafide patriots. These are diversionary tactics.

Mr. Jonathan, how is that war on corruption going again? The power project nko? NNPC nko? Boko Haram is probably working towards Aso Rock as we speak. As our people say: “a man whose house is on fire does have time to run after rats”! Focus! Mr. President!

Thanks,

Odi.

[/b]
Re: 27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! by gbogboti: 2:19am On Jun 10, 2012
Rubbish
Re: 27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! by moshoodn(m): 4:31am On Jun 10, 2012
NA WA O.

PRESIDENTS, GOVERNORS AND SENATORS ARE ALL IN A STATE OF MESS.
Re: 27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! by kemiola89(f): 5:29am On Jun 10, 2012
Whats all this ranting about? Abeg accept the name change and move on!
Re: 27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! by Murphy7h4: 8:15am On Jun 10, 2012
moshoodn: NA WA O.

PRESIDENTS, GOVERNORS AND SENATORS ARE ALL IN A STATE OF MESS.
bump
Re: 27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! by Malubi(m): 9:25am On Jun 10, 2012
Really bumb
Re: 27 Reasons Why The Renaming Of UNILAG Has Failed! by Malubi(m): 9:25am On Jun 10, 2012
Real bumb

(1) (Reply)

Crude Oil Theft: Suspects Name Top NNPC, PDP Officials As Sponsors / The Arrival Of Gej's Political Alleluia Boys / Crude Oil Theft: Again, Jonathan And His Familiar Mistakes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.