Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting (31622 Views)

ACCA Nigeria Exemptions ICAN & BSC Accounting / Bsc(ed),business Education Accounting Option. Vs. Bsc Accounting / Bsc Biochemistry Vs Bsc Community Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 5:08pm On Jul 06, 2012
@gaskydudu: Profs don't take u in all ur courses from 100 levels to 400/500 levels; tell us the truth. Most uni lecturers that lecture undergraduates are Msc and PhD holders. Some are even Bsc holders with Msc in view. Most Professors spend their time attending to and working with Msc and PhD students under their supervision. Again being tutored by a Professor does not transform u into a genius; u need to work harder by doing most of the work urself.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by shegzymoni: 5:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
EnnyP: Am a graduate of accounting from federal polytechic Ado-ekiti. Its true we do a lot of accounting courses in school. I graduated 2004. While in school, some of our lecturers then were also contract lectures in the then University of Ado. And i can remember they always tells us in class that we do better than our counterparts in UNAD.
Well like someone has pointed out, the difference is in individuals. Its just frustrating the way HND graduates are being treated in Nigeria labour market. After my youth service, i got a job in access bank as a contract staff. The experience wasn't a nice one at all.
my fellow accountant. Pls tel me †ђξ course(s) U̶̲̥̅̊ offered A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ Bsc dnt.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by gaskydudu: 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2012
ishmael: @gaskydudu: Profs don't take u in all ur courses from 100 levels to 400/500 levels; tell us the truth. Most uni lecturers that lecture undergraduates are Msc and PhD holders. Some are even Bsc holders with Msc in view. Most Professors spend their time attending to and working with Msc and PhD students under their supervision. Again being tutored by a Professor does not transform u into a genius; u need to work harder by doing most of the work urself.

Lolllll @ work harder and by urself. That is given my dear friend. Why is there a difference between satellite campuses and main campuses. No be the same teaching? You may as well don't bother going to school and read on your own.

I never said Profs take all your courses. I just mean that there is a higher level of quality teachers. And YES FYI, u need quality teaching to transform you into a GENIUS!
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 6:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
gaskydudu:

Lolllll @ work harder and by urself. That is given my dear friend. Why is there a difference between satellite campuses and main campuses. No be the same teaching? You may as well don't bother going to school and read on your own.

I never said Profs take all your courses. I just mean that there is a higher level of quality teachers. And YES FYI, u need quality teaching to transform you into a GENIUS!

Profs don't teach u much, they make u do most of the work by urself by engaging u to do more research for urself on the little they've taught u in class. Stop using the presence of Profs in the university to intimidate the polytechnic guys, when even as an undergraduate student u don't get more than a semester or two of the profs lectures through out ur days in the university. For ur info I first had PhD holders and a prof as my lecturers when i was doing HND program in the polytechnic, even though the prof was a part time lecturer from a 1st generation university. He still became my lecturer when i switched over to the university.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by chamber2(m): 6:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
lecorn:

thats the answer

So by your own HND knowledge this was the best answer to...

Boyoorisha:
Well, you are very correct. But that does not mean uni grads are not good, one can only get proficiency in accountancy through the method of teaching in polytechnics. They teach technical aspects of accounting in poly which give their serious students a good root in accountancy. As regards the statistics at ICAN, yes ICAN has more poly grads as members than the Uni. May be this is as a result of their efforts to brace up the HND thing

this question (s)

chamber2: ^^

Can you pls provide facts and figures? This conjectures won't lead us anywhere. You mentioned courses, what are these courses?

You said ICAN, can we have a detailed research release from ICAN stating that the poly grads perform better than Uni grads?

Can we have industry reports to that effect?? Employers survey/reports?

Any of these??

All these chest beating is just unnecessary.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by yemmyma: 7:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
tanimola22: [/quote]

I prefer to put your side of the argument to rest because you know there is no fact and you will never agree that a B.Sc inferior to an HND. And if you read my first post on this issue, i never said any of them was better, i only posited that they are both equal but mostly depend on the individual. I hope that clears my side of the over dragged bickering of this topic.

[quote author=veraponpo]I am a BSc Accounting holder fom OAU and I can tell u categorically that BSc Accounting is better than HND although depending on the individual in question.I became qualified almost immediately I finished my NYSC so also my friends, in facts, some of my frinds are ICAN award winners. Bsc holder is expected to do all accounting programmes in school plus other management courses like psycology, sociology, philosophy,political science, etc to equip him more for the society. This makes him a manager and not an accounting technician.

However, HND may do well too if he is a serious student but can only be a under a BSc holder due to different academic backgrounds.

I believe you are living under the delusion of your naija paper qualification. Good luck with your BSc and make sure you get enough HND to control at your place of work.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
lecorn:
apart from the IT, the courses they do in ND, some 300L students havn't done them of which they polytechnics have covered more of it, so its not a mater of the IT alone but the volume of work they do
I'm in ND 2 at Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri and the number of courses we do for the session is 16 (i.e 8 per semester)
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by sneak3(m): 7:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
One of the respondents have said it all, it depend on the individual involved. Being good largely has to do with personal development and not the school you finished from.. Am a product of the two. ND and Bsc
Not in accounting though but the only K(constant) is that you must study hard to be good weda poly or versity #gbam

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by sneak3(m): 7:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
One of the respondents have said it all, it depend on the individual involved. Being good largely has to do with personal development and not the school you finished from.. Am a product of the two. ND and Bsc
Not in accounting though but the only K(constant) is that you must study hard to be good weda poly or versity #gbam

Next topic pls.. ..
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 8:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
sneak3: One of the respondents have said it all, it depend on the individual involved. Being good largely has to do with personal development and not the school you finished from.. Am a product of the two. ND and Bsc

Next topic pls.. ..
Good. But help us pass this message to government and private sector employers. The rate at which the poly graduates are discriminated against is unfair. A level playing ground should be given to all graduates to prove their competence, whether HND or Bsc.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by GboyegaD(m): 10:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
ishmael: Then why do Bsc accounting graduates still feel they know better than the HND accounting graduates?

That is because the society makes them feel they are better and do better.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by GboyegaD(m): 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2012
Jarus: One or two HND students/graduates doing exceptionally well in ICAN exams doesnt validate HND accounting holders being deeper than Bsc holders. It would not have been a talking point if a Bsc Accounting holder or Accounting undegrad does well in ICAN, but it will be if an HND did. That alone tells you something. Within my circle of friends alone in teh university, we have 2 people that won Best Qualifying ICAN candidates, within a space of two years. It's normal, you see these things on daily basis in top universities but if you have one or two from Poly, it becomes a national news headline.

I'm sorry if it sounds rude, but it is not for nothing that polytechnic, at least in Nigeria, is a fall-back for university rejects.

Jarusu,
That is very wrong because different people attend Polytechnic for different reasons at least, mine is a good example. Also, I can give you one in your Accounts department as well and his name is Adedamola. He never wrote the UME for once and for him he just attempted the PCE and felt cool with his admission into the polytechnic. People go to the polytechnic for different reasons ranging from deficiency in one of their O Level Credit, assymentary information amongst others.
Besides, how many people get into the University on merit at least, Ife would be a better sample to judge this question.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by GboyegaD(m): 10:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
sweet9: @ Poster, I guess the poster is suffering from inferiority complex, if not, what's the essence of this post B.sc(acct) and Hnd(acct),what's d difference? Well, if you insist on comparing both, B.sc(acct) stands out in every ramification, even the poster knows this... Stop wasting your time on trivia issues. Those who ended up with HND were the ones who were not accepted by universities...., but this is plane truth which everybody in Nigeria knows, anyway, i dont wish to talk detail on this issue.

Which in most cases, their going to the Polytechnic was based on merit and the university graduate which you claim are better got into school through some connections. If the foundation is weak as we have in most cases for this university graduates, why do you think they are any better? As far as I am concerned, each individual's success is determined by their efforts and not the qualification they posses.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by GboyegaD(m): 10:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
veraponpo: I am a BSc Accounting holder fom OAU and I can tell u categorically that BSc Accounting is better than HND although depending on the individual in question.I became qualified almost immediately I finished my NYSC so also my friends, in facts, some of my frinds are ICAN award winners. Bsc holder is expected to do all accounting programmes in school plus other management courses like psycology, sociology, philosophy,political science, etc to equip him more for the society. This makes him a manager and not an accounting technician.

However, HND may do well too if he is a serious student but can only be a under a BSc holder due to different academic backgrounds.

I loved the earlier part of your post but the concluding part only gives way to reveal your bias. Both Poly and University graduates have won awards and you are only fortunate to know the ones you know because they were your coursemates in Ife what about the others? Do you know the qualification they possess?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by johnsonadex: 4:02am On Jul 07, 2012
Hello my pple, i will like to state d root causes of discrimination btw BSc and HND graduates in Nigeria labour market dat many students dnt knw.
The National Policy on Education (NPE) states d philosophy establishing both Poly & Uni.
Polytechnic is established to raise Middle-level Manpower while
University is established to raise High-level Manpower.
U can confirm dat in d NPE (2004 as revised).
Note also dat its very rare to find an HND holder even wit so many professional qualifications to lecture in university (because dey are considered as Middle-leveled) while
75% of Polytechnic lecturers are BSc/B.Tech graduates (just because dey are considered as High-leveled).
Mind u, i had both ND & BSc, and i believed it shudnt be so, but dats Nigeria Education Policy for u. I thank God dat i attended Poly b4 Uni. Lastly, i believed it depends on individual...
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 6:48am On Jul 07, 2012
johnsonadex: Hello my pple, i will like to state d root causes of discrimination btw BSc and HND graduates in Nigeria labour market dat many students dnt knw.
The National Policy on Education (NPE) states d philosophy establishing both Poly & Uni.
Polytechnic is established to raise Middle-level Manpower while
University is established to raise High-level Manpower.
U can confirm dat in d NPE (2004 as revised).
Note also dat its very rare to find an HND holder even wit so many professional qualifications to lecture in university (because dey are considered as Middle-leveled) while
75% of Polytechnic lecturers are BSc/B.Tech graduates (just because dey are considered as High-leveled).
Mind u, i had both ND & BSc, and i believed it shudnt be so, but dats Nigeria Education Policy for u. I thank God dat i attended Poly b4 Uni. Lastly, i believed it depends on individual...
Middle level technical manpower is provided by the ND programme. The HND programme also provide high level technical manpower for the country. At this level it has trained u up to the level of someone with a bachelor's degree and is considered to be an equivalent qualification to the degree by virtue of number of years spent and total credit units taken. Pls take note of the word "technical".
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 7:40am On Jul 07, 2012
For those who believe because u were lectured by professors therefore u become over good or a genius. Have u asked urselves this question? "how comes we have so many incompetent and half baked graduates from our universities today who passed thru the hands of these profs?" Are we to conclude that some of the profs too are half baked and incompetent?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 7:41am On Jul 07, 2012
Another truth I discovered about most people who go for ANAN is that they were actually doing ICAN before and could n't pass. If u check very well, they are mostly university accounting graduates who occupy managerial positions in the civil service. The private sector does not ask for ANAN certification or certificate. U hardly find HND accountancy graduates going for ANAN.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by johnsonadex: 8:23am On Jul 07, 2012
ishmael: Middle level technical manpower is provided by the ND programme. The HND programme also provide high level technical manpower for the country. At this level it has trained u up to the level of someone with a bachelor's degree and is considered to be an equivalent qualification to the degree by virtue of number of years spent and total credit units taken. Pls take note of the word "technical".
Pls, stop arguing on wat u dnt knw. NPE is a guideline on education in nigeria and d purpose for establishing any institution is well stated in it as far as nigeria is concerned.
Poly is created to raised middle-level manpower in nigeria. And dats d essence of creating it in d first place in nigeria, it might not be so in anoda country.
Am just telling u d reason for d discrimitn not dat one is beta than d other. Wat do u think is d reason why HND engineering cannot become memba of COREN without having higher qualificatn.? Wat abt masters degree?
U are only considering accounting, is polytechnic establish for acct alone? Wat abt other courses?
Lastly, U dnt even need HND or BSc to be qualified as an accountant, many pple are qualified yet stil looking for admission.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 10:04am On Jul 07, 2012
johnsonadex:
Pls, stop arguing on wat u dnt knw. NPE is a guideline on education in nigeria and d purpose for establishing any institution is well stated in it as far as nigeria is concerned.
Poly is created to raised middle-level manpower in nigeria. And dats d essence of creating it in d first place in nigeria, it might not be so in anoda country.
Am just telling u d reason for d discrimitn not dat one is beta than d other. Wat do u think is d reason why HND engineering cannot become memba of COREN without having higher qualificatn.? Wat abt masters degree?
U are only considering accounting, is polytechnic establish for acct alone? Wat abt other courses?
Lastly, U dnt even need HND or BSc to be qualified as an accountant, many pple are qualified yet stil looking for admission.
I am seriously laughing at ur ignorance. I still find it hard to believe that a NLander is not aware that the middle-level technical manpower is ND. NCE too is middle level. The HND was introduced into the polytechnic to cater for high-level technical manpower. Yes, the polytechnic was established in nigeria to produce middle-level manpower which was the Nigerian National Diploma (NND). The HND was introduced to produce high-level technical manpower and this was the beginning of the two tier system we are currently running in the nigerian polytechnics, the ND and HND. The ND takes care of the middle-level technical manpower while the HND takes care of the high-level technical manpower. Or where do u think the high-level technical manpower in nigeria is coming from? University? The university produces high-level manpower and not high-level technical manpower. If u are in doubt NBTE is there for u to go and verify about who a middle-level technical graduate is and a high-level technical graduate.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by gaskydudu: 10:08am On Jul 07, 2012
@ Ishmael: You are getting too emotional over this. What is most important is that one should develop himself over and over again irrespective of where one schools. Education does not end in a university or polytechnic....Everything boils down to the individual.

Cheers!
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 10:23am On Jul 07, 2012
gaskydudu: @ Ishmael: You are getting too emotional over this. What is most important is that one should develop himself over and over again irrespective of where one schools. Education does not end in a university or polytechnic....Everything boils down to the individual.

Cheers!
Yes bro, i am emotional about this because of the injustice in the system. I am both a poly and uni graduate and i know what i learnt in both schools. I can see that university graduates and employers with uni Degrees have ganged up against the polytechnic graduates just to make them look inferior at all cost. If u feel they are not qualified or good enough give them the same opportunity to sit for the same test with the Bsc graduate and if they fail to pass then u can weed them out. But preventing them from writing a test or exams they know they can write and pass is unfair. Honestly if not for the nigerian system there was nt any need for me to have gone to the university to study again, repeating most of the things i had been taught in the polytechnic; almost like a waste of time and resources. Thank God for the experience sha.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by mkoabiola: 10:47am On Jul 07, 2012
barnabasj:
Someone in the House is Comparing ANAN with ICAN i think ANAN is an exam that is meant for frustrated Accountant, especially people in the Public and Civil service that cannot pass ICAN, ANAN is no where recognized and you can never see any Professional people claiming that certificate.

As far as i am concern ANAN is an exam that is meant for Frustrated accountant that want to becomes a chartered accountant by force.

Back to the debated yes i agree that some polythecnic graduate pass ICAN eazily that Univerisity because most of them start the program from ATS,ICAN foundation levels so they are used to the Module/methods of the exam while most univeristy graduate join the exam at PE 11 level and find it difficults
Point of correction,either uni or poly gradutes they all start frm PE1 not PE2 b4 u mislead ppu.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by johnsonadex: 11:32am On Jul 07, 2012
ishmael: Yes bro, i am emotional about this because of the injustice in the system. I am both a poly and uni graduate and i know what i learnt in both schools. I can see that university graduates and employers with uni Degrees have ganged up against the polytechnic graduates just to make them look inferior at all cost. If u feel they are not qualified or good enough give them the same opportunity to sit for the same test with the Bsc graduate and fail to pass; then u can weed them out from there, rather than preventing them from putting what they learnt into use. Honestly if not for the nigerian system there was nt any need for me to have gone to the university to study again, repeating most of the things i had been taught in the polytechnic. Thank God sha.
No need to argue wit u again. I can perceived dat u are a fustrated graduate.
Kindly answer dis questions:
why is it dat more than 75% of polytechnic lecturers are nt HND graduates bt BSc graduates if dey are truely high-level technical skilled manpower? Or dnt u think its reasonably 4 high-level technical skilled lecturer to teach in polytechnic?
Why is it dat most bursar/accountant in polytechnic are BSc holder?
Worldwide, university educatn is preferred. We hear of uni of michigan, harvard, new york, liverpool, manchester, paris, and many more. How many of such poly u knw?
Lastly, mention one Rector in Nigeria dat has HND?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 1:01pm On Jul 07, 2012
johnsonadex:
why is it dat more than 75% of polytechnic lecturers are nt HND graduates bt BSc graduates if dey are truely high-level technical skilled manpower? Or dnt u think its reasonably 4 high-level technical skilled lecturer to teach in polytechnic?
Worldwide, university educatn is preferred. We hear of uni of michigan, harvard, new york, liverpool, manchester, paris, and many more. How many of such poly u knw?
You talk like a local champion, and i don't argue with them. You claim u were a poly student/graduate and at the same time a uni graduate, yet you cannot distinguish btw who a middle-level technical graduate is and a high-level technical graduate. I'm also not suprised that u know nothing about Dr Philipa Idogho, the rector of Auchi Poly. She is also a HND graduate of the same Auchi poly she's heading. Pls this debate is for intelligent people, and not for mediocres. Pls since u're not that intelligent always do a little research before u post anything.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by johnsonadex: 7:26pm On Jul 07, 2012
ishmael: You talk like a local champion, and i don't argue with them. You claim u were a poly student/graduate and at the same time a uni graduate, yet you cannot distinguish btw who a middle-level technical graduate is and a high-level technical graduate. I'm also not suprised that u know nothing about Dr Philipa Idogho, the rector of Auchi Poly. She is also a HND graduate of the same Auchi poly she's heading. Pls this debate is for intelligent people, and not for mediocres. Pls since u're not that intelligent always do a little research before u post anything.
pls, hw did u gradu8 4rm polytechnic? I asked four questions & u conviniently answer one, is dat a pass mark? Also, i only asked u to mention one rector and u did, is there any problem wit dat question? Why are u talking as if u're fighting wit everybody dat expresses their opinion just because its nt in line wit ur opinion? Must everybody agree wit u dat poly is beta than uni? Also, where did Dr Philipa obtained her PGD, MSc, and Phd.? Am sure nt in polytechnic.
lastly, i believed u neva wished to attend poly instead of uni.
in my own case, i only use poly to get wat i want wc is BSc. thru Direct Entry.
Let me conclude wit dis, some poly are beta than some uni. So, d poly u attend may be beta than d uni u attended and dats why u are thinking like dat...stop generalising.
one more thing, pls, learn to tackle d msg nt d msger. Am stil xpecting answer to my oda questns.

1 Like

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by nitrogen(m): 11:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
johnsonadex:
pls, hw did u gradu8 4rm polytechnic? I asked four questions & u conviniently answer one, is dat a pass mark? Also, i only asked u to mention one rector and u did, is there any problem wit dat question? Why are u talking as if u're fighting wit everybody dat expresses their opinion just because its nt in line wit ur opinion? Must everybody agree wit u dat poly is beta than uni? Also, where did Dr Philipa obtained her PGD, MSc, and Phd.? Am sure nt in polytechnic.
lastly, i believed u neva wished to attend poly instead of uni.
in my own case, i only use poly to get wat i want wc is BSc. thru Direct Entry.
Let me conclude wit dis, some poly are beta than some uni. So, d poly u attend may be beta than d uni u attended and dats why u are thinking like dat...stop generalising.
one more thing, pls, learn to tackle d msg nt d msger. Am stil xpecting answer to my oda questns.
I wonder o.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by LFJ: 1:54am On Jul 08, 2012
gaskydudu:

1. What you have said is your assumption, not the generally accepted and empirically tested one with regards to ACCA. What justification do you have about the quality of the courses? As a qualified accountant in ACCA you are recognised in ICAN but not the other way round. Isn't that enough? I never compared the quality of the course but the method...and what hasn't quality to do with the international outlook..C'mon!

2. 'Before 2010, a few people gained admission with 4 credit...' The fact people gained with less qualifications is still given. Two years ago is too short to even compare the standards. It will take a longer while for the entry standard to be accepted socially.

3. My initial contribution used the general average comparison between poltechnics and universities. Please note that cos there could be wide variances. However, education is NOT only about reading and doing your courseworks, the quality and experience which are shared from lecturers come in, the learning environment and the brand. How many professors do u have in an average good university to a polytechnic? Those things count. Have you ever considered a BSc in OAU or Havard? Or better still, a mushroom uni in the US against Havard? Yeah they practically teach the same thing but different methods cos of the quality and experience of their teachers.

4. I know this issue is quite emotional/controversial, but in my opinion the AVERAGE university graduate has more opportunities than a polytechnic graduate. With regards to exposure, I have worked with enough of them for over a decade to justify my assumption. I have also come across very smart ones, no doubt about that, but my assumption is on the AVERAGE.

5. If you feel so strongly about polytechnics, why don't you let your sibblings or kids (if you have) attend?

What I said is no doubt my personal assumption based on personal experience. I maintain my position that the quality of ACCA syllabus is not in any way better than that of ICAN. I experienced both exams, and I know what it takes to pass both exams. Yes, as a qualified accountant in ACCA you are recognized in ICAN, not because one is better but because most of the founding fathers of ICAN were ACCA and CPA qualified, so when ICAN was formed, that clause was inserted. As I said, ACCA is not in any way better than ICAN in terms of quality of the syllabus, though there is no doubt that ACCA command respect than ICAN because of the UK status in the world. Almost all countries of the world have their accounting body, and it is for their country unless there is understanding between the two countries to give automatic status to each other country members when they cross over e.g. USA, Canada and Columbia.

I think you need to get something right so that you will not be engulf by sentiment. As far back as 90s, many polytechnics will not admit you without 5 credits Maths and Eng inclusive, and at that time we have some Universities that accept 4 credits too. Both institutions have pre ND and Remedial that accept people with less required credit. The issue between both institutions is not about requirements; it is about our failed systems that don’t even know the reason why they have both institutions. Copy and paste from our colonial masters. This is the same system that increases the numbers of years in secondary school from 5 to 6 years without any extra benefit.

Your argument in number 3 is right, if this argument is about HND vs Bsc, but the scope of this argument is limited to HND acctg vs Bsc Acctg. Bsc holders truly have broader knowledge Bsc acctg inclusive, and they are trained as manager of human and material resources. So my argument in favor of HND acctg over Bsc Acctg as related to acctg technicality is perfectly in order, because that is the point of argument.

You are absolutely right with number 4; Average University graduate is better than Polytechnic graduate. The exposure is quite there, and our society equally gave them special honor that placed them higher than poly graduate. As I said, I pass through both system, and I know what is required to succeed in both systems. If you open your mind you will see the point in my argument; it is not based on hear say it is based on experience.

I think your response in no 5 is immature; we are here to learn from each other and not to throw insult.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 7:45am On Jul 08, 2012
johnsonadex:
Let me answer the questions u said i have not answered. Bsc holders like some pple rightly said learn more theory than practical while that of the HND is the reverse. The Bsc guys do theoretical lecturing job while the HND guys instruct students on courses that are applied. (I once lectured as a part time lecturer in Laspotech 10 years ago in the part time school at Ikosi campus in the dept of computer science. I did this with my HND certificate). So, I am talking from experience. For Bursars, they have very strong unions in the uni and poly. In the uni for no technical reason they have barred even HND holders with ICAN from being part of them. Some poly still take HND + ICAN holders to be Bursars. Sometimes these are just obnoxious govt policies enacted by Bsc holders against the HND holders for no just reason; not that the HND holders are not technically fit. This is what we call man's inhumanity to man. Also note that i'm a graduate of a first generation university that is about 50 years of age now, therefore the polytechnic I attended cannot be better than it, even though the poly is one of the biggest & best in nigeria. Finally i want u to agree that poly graduates are as good as uni graduates, and as such should be given opportunities lke the uni graduates especially where technical and applied skills are required. Let's help in creating awareness on this HND/poly thing in our society where we all reside, as this will help solve this age-long perception about polytechnic graduates not being as good as university graduates in nigeria. I'm sorry for using some harsh words in my previous post. No e-fighting again pls.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by gaskydudu: 10:55am On Jul 08, 2012
LFJ:

What I said is no doubt my personal assumption based on personal experience. I maintain my position that the quality of ACCA syllabus is not in any way better than that of ICAN. I experienced both exams, and I know what it takes to pass both exams. Yes, as a qualified accountant in ACCA you are recognized in ICAN, not because one is better but because most of the founding fathers of ICAN were ACCA and CPA qualified, so when ICAN was formed, that clause was inserted. As I said, ACCA is not in any way better than ICAN in terms of quality of the syllabus, though there is no doubt that ACCA command respect than ICAN because of the UK status in the world. Almost all countries of the world have their accounting body, and it is for their country unless there is understanding between the two countries to give automatic status to each other country members when they cross over e.g. USA, Canada and Columbia.

I think you need to get something right so that you will not be engulf by sentiment. As far back as 90s, many polytechnics will not admit you without 5 credits Maths and Eng inclusive, and at that time we have some Universities that accept 4 credits too. Both institutions have pre ND and Remedial that accept people with less required credit. The issue between both institutions is not about requirements; it is about our failed systems that don’t even know the reason why they have both institutions. Copy and paste from our colonial masters. This is the same system that increases the numbers of years in secondary school from 5 to 6 years without any extra benefit.

Your argument in number 3 is right, if this argument is about HND vs Bsc, but the scope of this argument is limited to HND acctg vs Bsc Acctg. Bsc holders truly have broader knowledge Bsc acctg inclusive, and they are trained as manager of human and material resources. So my argument in favor of HND acctg over Bsc Acctg as related to acctg technicality is perfectly in order, because that is the point of argument.

You are absolutely right with number 4; Average University graduate is better than Polytechnic graduate. The exposure is quite there, and our society equally gave them special honor that placed them higher than poly graduate. As I said, I pass through both system, and I know what is required to succeed in both systems. If you open your mind you will see the point in my argument; it is not based on hear say it is based on experience.

I think your response in no 5 is immature; we are here to learn from each other and not to throw insult.

My sincere apologies about No 5. Your points are noted.

Cheers!
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by johnsonadex: 6:10pm On Jul 08, 2012
ishmael: Let me answer the questions u said i have not answered. Bsc holders like some pple rightly said learn more theory than practical while that of the HND is the reverse. The Bsc guys do theoretical lecturing job while the HND guys instruct students on courses that are applied. (I once lectured as a part time lecturer in Laspotech 10 years ago in the part time school at Ikosi campus in the dept of computer science. I did this with my HND certificate). So, I am talking from experience. For Bursars, they have very strong unions in the uni and poly. In the uni for no technical reason they have barred even HND holders with ICAN from being part of them. Some poly still take HND + ICAN holders to be Bursars. Sometimes these are just obnoxious govt policies enacted by Bsc holders against the HND holders for no just reason; not that the HND holders are not technically fit. This is what we call man's inhumanity to man. Also note that i'm a graduate of a first generation university that is about 50 years of age now, therefore the polytechnic I attended cannot be better than it, even though the poly is one of the biggest & best in nigeria. Finally i want u to agree that poly graduates are as good as uni graduates, and as such should be given opportunities lke the uni graduates especially where technical and applied skills are required. Let's help in creating awareness on this HND/poly thing in our society where we all reside, as this will help solve this age-long perception about polytechnic graduates not being as good as university graduates in nigeria. I'm sorry for using some harsh words in my previous post. No e-fighting again pls.
I really appreciate ur response. If u look @ my previous txt u will discovered dat there is neva a time i mentioned dat poly graduate were inferior to uni graduate, i av a lot of friend wit HND & i knw their worth.
As u av rightly said, its d society we live in dat caused dis so much talk.
Lastly, am deeply sorry if i av utter any offensive word. One Love...
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 8:05pm On Jul 08, 2012
johnsonadex:
I really appreciate ur response. If u look @ my previous txt u will discovered dat there is neva a time i mentioned dat poly graduate were inferior to uni graduate, i av a lot of friend wit HND & i knw their worth.
As u av rightly said, its d society we live in dat caused dis so much talk.
Lastly, am deeply sorry if i av utter any offensive word. One Love...
One love brother.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

With A Capital Of N2M: Should I Relocate To Europe Or Open A Pharmacy In Nigeria / Thread For May 2021 BCS Certificate Exam / Lagos Bus Conductors To Wear Uniforms From January 1 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.