Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Getting Married To The Dead - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Getting Married To The Dead (3979 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / When You Want To Get Married To An Igbo Girl(pic) / Raising Your Children The Nigerian Way When Married To A Foreigner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Married To The Dead by RealBitch(f): 9:26am On Jun 13, 2012
Im from Anambra state, and There's this trend amongst igbos, forcing a Man to marry a dead woman. My mum says its the tradition, particularly if the woman has children for him outside wedlock. Does this tradition make sense I've seen two men goes through it and yet another distant relative is about undergoing same process. He's already looking traumatized and though i dont like him,I feel this is unfair.Is it right to make a man carry out marital rites on a dead woman?
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by lifestyle1(m): 9:40am On Jun 13, 2012
RealBitch: Im from Anambra state, and There's this trend amongst igbos, forcing a Man to marry a dead woman. My mum says its the tradition, particularly if the woman has children for him outside wedlock. Does this tradition make sense I've seen two men goes through it and yet another distant relative is about undergoing same process. He's already looking traumatized and though i dont like him,I feel this is unfair.Is it right to make a man carry out marital rites on a dead woman?

This is barbaric and uncivilized.. angry

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To The Dead by VOfficialR(m): 9:41am On Jun 13, 2012
wow... so African, so 'us'. can't he leave the place or just runaway? That's absurd!
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 13, 2012
What kind of culture do you pratice? Evil people
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:56am On Jun 13, 2012
OR he can just marry the dead woman and be done with it. its not like she will EAT him. undecided
he has comitted crime and tradition must be honoured.

i have heard of an Indian bollywood actress, Aishwarya Rai who had to marry a young tree before her real wedding. . tongue
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by RealBitch(f): 10:00am On Jun 13, 2012
V_Official®:
wow... so African, so 'us'. can't he leave the place or just runaway? That's absurd!
does a person elope from his/her father/mother land??
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 13, 2012
RealBitch: you're definitely high on cheap weed. Slut-ty LovePeddler-ing pros-titute!
i dont reply fools.look at your picture and tell me what you see

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To The Dead by RealBitch(f): 10:31am On Jun 13, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
OR he can just marry the dead woman and be done with it. its not like she will EAT him. undecided
he has comitted crime and tradition must be honoured.

i have heard of an Indian bollywood actress, Aishwarya Rai who had to marry a young tree before her real wedding. . tongue
let me get this straight, 'if' your gf should die(the gods forbid),you'll marry her dead body¿¿
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by RealBitch(f): 10:32am On Jun 13, 2012
Xaurel: i dont reply fools.look at your picture and tell me what you see
a better person than you'll ever be
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by VOfficialR(m): 10:58am On Jun 13, 2012
RealBitch: does a person elope from his/her father/mother land??
Then you support him. was the essence of opening this topic to impose this act or seek suggestions?
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by ifyalways(f): 11:49am On Jun 13, 2012
Seriously how stupid and daft can one get
One lousy fella, wakes up and hears or manufactures some papal bulls then comes online to sing "this is igbo culture, I heard my mom say this" etc and folks like seriously believe that?

No where in igboland is such a "sick imagination" pratised please.
The real deal is if a man co-habits with a woman without paying her dowry and marrying her properly in the traditional way and the woman dies unfortunately in his house, he has to pay her dowry properly before going ahead with the funeral rite.
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by VOfficialR(m): 11:54am On Jun 13, 2012
ifyalways: Seriously how stupid and daft can one get
One lousy fella, wakes up and hears or manufactures some papal bulls then comes online to sing "this is igbo culture, I heard my mom say this" etc and folks like seriously believe that?

The real deal is if a man co-habits with a woman without paying her dowry and marrying her properly in the traditional way and the woman dies unfortunately in his house, he has to pay her dowry properly before going ahead with the funeral rite.
we are Africans ma'am. even if it's unreal, you shouldn't dispute facts like this.... coz this is Africa... guess you're new to the continent smiley
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by ifyalways(f): 12:04pm On Jun 13, 2012
Hello! What is a "fact" ?, your fact?
This conversation ends here. . . Seeing that an ignorant rant qualifies as a fact in your books.
Good day.
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by VOfficialR(m): 12:06pm On Jun 13, 2012
Oops!!!
someone is definitely having a bad day...

Good means "everything is alright" n it can never be alright when people gets angry over "ink letters"
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by RealBitch(f): 4:45pm On Jun 13, 2012
ifyalways: Seriously how stupid and daft can one get

dont be stupid. Why would i manufacture crap¿for YOUR pleasure¿mscheeew. A distant relative of mine is about going through this same process.
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:11pm On Jul 17, 2012
RealBitch: let me get this straight, 'if' your gf should die(the gods forbid),you'll marry her dead body¿¿

im Hausa so i wont do it. its your culture. lol grin
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by Antivirus92(m): 6:31am On Jul 18, 2012
Saying that you are igbo doesn't frighten us again cos there are alot of segun and musa on this nairaland that claims igbo. Again if a woman has children before marriage,those children belong to her and not the man. That is igbo culture. In igboland nobody marries a dead man. Sometimes if a woman doesn't have children before her husband died,she will be advised to remarry especially when the woman is still young, so how can a woman who haven't even married be forced to marry a dead man
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:32pm On Jul 18, 2012
RealBitch: Im from Anambra state, and There's this trend amongst igbos, forcing a Man to marry a dead woman. My mum says its the tradition, particularly if the woman has children for him outside wedlock. Does this tradition make sense I've seen two men goes through it and yet another distant relative is about undergoing same process. He's already looking traumatized and though i dont like him,I feel this is unfair.Is it right to make a man carry out marital rites on a dead woman?

Who da fhuck is this ? Which town in Anambra are you from because imma get to the bottom of this. This is a big fat lie! You are not Igbo and certainly not an Anambrarian! There is nothing and I repeat there is no practice like this in Igboland. This is nothing but a slander against the Igbo by a non Igbo who is posing like one.I advice everybody to disregard this rubbish!
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by 2mch(m): 7:36pm On Jul 18, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Who da fhuck is this ? Which town in Anambra are you from because imma get to the bottom of this. This is a big fat lie! You are not Igbo and certainly not an Anambrarian! There is nothing and I repeat there is no practice like this in Igboland. This is nothing but a slander against the Igbo by a non Igbo who is posing like one.I advice everybody to disregard this rubbish!

LMAO!!! So Igbo's marry the dead. hmmm! tongue

I have heard of this ritual before. And also marrying wives for lonely women lipsrsealed
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:54pm On Jul 18, 2012
2mch:

LMAO!!! So Igbo's marry the dead. hmmm! tongue

I have heard of this ritual before. And also marrying wives for lonely women lipsrsealed

I stand by my first post; No we dont marry wivies for lonely woman as our culture is against lesbianism. Think with your head,nigguh ! When a woman loses her husband after been married to him for considerably long time and had many children but wasnt able to bear him a male child to continue his lineage the "umunna" kinsmen will make plans and marry a wife in the name of the deceased husband and chose a man from his kinsmen cater to her and bear preferably male children who will advance their fathers(deceased) name and stop it from going extinct. We practice this tradition because we emphasize in keeping fathers name alive. One of my great aunt lost her husband and didnt have male children and she has passed child bearing age and the kinsmen married a wife in the name of her deceased husband and today am proud to say that she has given us very healthy five boys and two beautiful girls and we are contributing in sending them to school. Onye nwe anyi mma mma dili gi !
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by LordReed(m): 3:43am On Jul 19, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

I stand by my first post; No we dont marry wivies for lonely woman as our culture is against lesbianism. Think with your head,nigguh ! When a woman loses her husband after been married to him for considerably long time and had many children but wasnt able to bear him a male child to continue his lineage the "umunna" kinsmen will make plans and marry a wife in the name of the deceased husband and chose a man from his kinsmen cater to her and bear preferably male children who will advance their fathers(deceased) name and stop it from going extinct. We practice this tradition because we emphasize in keeping fathers name alive. One of my great aunt lost her husband and didnt have male children and she has passed child bearing age and the kinsmen married a wife in the name of her deceased husband and today am proud to say that she has given us very healthy five boys and two beautiful girls and we are contributing in sending them to school. Onye nwe anyi mma mma dili gi !

So how is this different from marrying a dead person?
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by odumchi: 12:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
I've heard of people having "spiritual husbands/wives" but never of people marrying the dead.
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
Suprised that some people here are denying the existence of this practice. No matter how much some igbo people may want to deny it for obvious reasons( It does not sound like the kind of practice an European will term as civilised). Truth is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. For all I know, the practice serves the purpose of legitimizing the kids resulting from such relationships. Evidently,they are illegitimate kids as far as the society is concerned because their parent were never married. It has a retroactive effect on the status of those kids in the society. Secondly, the nature of the practice also serves as a deterrent to any man thinking of co-habiting and knocking up peoples daughters without carrying out th proper rites of marriage. With the foregoing, you will agree with me that the practice is one which is important to a society keen on maintaining it's moral & social balance.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To The Dead by pleep(m): 11:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
I have never heard of this... but is it really such a bad practice? You guys have your ideals twisted up.
This is obviously something done to stop illegitimacy, and prevent children from living with the stigma of being a 'bastard'.

wait... do they actually psychically marry the dead person? with a ceremony and everything? undecided
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
pleep: I have never heard of this... but is it really such a bad practice? You guys have your ideals twisted up.
This is obviously something done to stop illegitimacy, and prevent children from living with the stigma of being a 'bastard'.

wait... do they actually psychically marry the dead person? with a ceremony and everything? undecided
There's no ceremony per se. Basically, what is done is carrying out the fundamental rites that gives rise to a valid marriage as the custom of the particular Igbo society knows it. Simple.
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by pleep(m): 11:22pm On Jul 19, 2012
^ but does that involve physical proximity between the bride and groom? like a traditional marriage celebration with both people present?
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 20, 2012
No! Never. The whole process is carried before the lady is buried. Usually while the body is still in the morgue.
This also enables the man lay valid claim to the child(ren).
Re: Getting Married To The Dead by Rocktation(f): 2:50am On Aug 01, 2012
Goes to show that a lot of people don't even know their culture. How can anyone so vehemently deny the existence of this well known tradition? I have witnessed the one where the husband (or not) even gave IV cards to a few of the woman's people!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Negroids In America And Many Parts Of Africa Claim To Be Jews / Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book / New Attah Of Igala Crowned (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.