Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? (1362 Views)

President Orders Police To Vacate Rivers Local Govts / Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. / Tambuwal:What The 1999 Nigerian Constitution Says About The Office Of Thespeaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by Beaf: 8:27am On Jun 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Chapter I
General Provisions[/size]
Part I

Federal Republic of Nigeria

1. (1) This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on the authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(2) The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall not be governed, nor shall any persons or group of persons take control of the Government of Nigeria or any part thereof, except in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.

(3) If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.

2. (1) Nigeria is one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign state to be known by the name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(2) Nigeria shall be a Federation consisting of States and a Federal Capital Territory.

3. (1) There shall be 36 states in Nigeria, that is to say, Abia, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Ekiti, Enugu, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.

(2) Each state of Nigeria, named in the first column of Part I of the First Schedule to this Constitution, shall consist of the area shown opposite thereto in the second column of that Schedule.

(3) The headquarters of the Governor of each State shall be known as the Capital City of that State as shown in the third column of the said Part I of the First Schedule opposite the State named in the first column thereof.

(4) The Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, shall be as defined in Part II of the First Scheduled to this Constitution.

(5) The provisions of this Constitution in Part I of Chapter VIII hereof shall in relation to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, have effect in the manner set out thereunder.

(6) There shall be 768 Local Government Areas in Nigeria as shown in the second column of Part I of the First Schedule to this Constitution and six area councils as shown in Part II of that Schedule.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm
Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by Delafruita(m): 9:18am On Jun 18, 2012
this is before niger state created 6 additional local governments in 2004.lagos state also created 37 more but the crisis that followed made it abandon the process.the constituition now acknowledges 774 local governments.at least my own hard copy does
Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by Beaf: 9:24am On Jun 18, 2012
^
Thanks, bruv. That explains it, I've also now found other errors in that online copy of the constitution as well. embarassed
It says "materials" intead of minerals under local govt functions!
Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by Delafruita(m): 10:23am On Jun 18, 2012
most online copies are are uploaded by individuals or organizations and are rarely updated ecept there is a major change
Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by Beaf: 11:07am On Jun 18, 2012
Ta bruv.
Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by Demdem(m): 11:11am On Jun 18, 2012
Delafruita: this is before niger state created 6 additional local governments in 2004.lagos state also created 37 more but the crisis that followed made it abandon the process.[/b]the constituition now acknowledges 774 local governments.at least my own hard copy does

[b]am not aware that the LASG has abandoned the process. Those LCDA are still in operational in Lagos. The LASG seems to have done all that is expected from them from the constitution. I think its the NASS that has refused to do theirs.
Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by yinkabeauty: 6:43pm On Jul 10, 2021
Delafruita:
this is before niger state created 6 additional local governments in 2004.lagos state also created 37 more but the crisis that followed made it abandon the process.the constituition now acknowledges 774 local governments.at least my own hard copy does

It is false.
768 + 6 Local council area in FCT = 774.
do your research.

3 Likes

Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by yinkabeauty: 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2021
Beaf:
^
Thanks, bruv. That explains it, I've also now found other errors in that online copy of the constitution as well. embarassed
It says "materials" intead of minerals under local govt functions!

information provided was false.
768 States LG plus 6 fct local council area = 774 LGA.
This is the correct information.

1 Like

Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by observanc1: 6:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
Delafruita:
niger state didnt create any additional local govt, only tinubu did, which was why Obasanjo refused to fund lagos local govts

1 Like

Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by yinkabeauty: 6:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
Demdem:

am not aware that the LASG has abandoned the process. Those LCDA are still in operational in Lagos. The LASG seems to have done all that is expected from them from the constitution. I think its the NASS that has refused to do theirs.

THAT's not correct 6 fct local area plus 768 state lgs make up 774 LGAs.
Take it to the bank.
Re: How Come There Are 774 Local Govts In Nigeria When The Constitution Says 768? by orisa37: 8:31pm On Jul 10, 2021
768 in the 36 STATES. Plus
6 Area Councils in FCT.

(1) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan Declare State Of Emergency In 3 Northern States. / 13 Lawmakers Holds Secret Meeting To Impeach Gov. Amaechi / General Muhammadu Buhari Interview- Achebe Foundation Dec 2005

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.