Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,585 members, 7,958,814 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:40 AM

What Does Nigeria Really Lack? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Nigeria Really Lack? (4179 Views)

Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs / Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? / How Much Does Nigeria Make Daily From Petroleum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by leaks: 12:28pm On Jun 18, 2012
With Corruption, Bombings, kidnappings, armed robbery, raping of young and old, cultist, ritualists, etc

I think we lack good Security, Protection Of our Lives, Properties and a functioning government.

what do you think we lack as a nation?

1 Like

Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by lifestyle1(m): 12:49pm On Jun 18, 2012
leaks: With Corruption, Bombings, kidnappings, armed robbery, raping of young and old, cultist, ritualists, etc

I think we lack good Security, Protection Of our Lives, Properties and a functioning government.

we don't lack anything in this country, WE are blessed with everything in abundance, I think our problem is our leaders.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 18, 2012
What Nigeria lacks is the knowledge of self i.e the knowledge of what Nigeria is, and who Nigerians are..

We need to re-define what Nigeria itself actually means - and what being a Nigerian entails!!

What is Nigeria? And who's a Nigerian?

Once we re-define these terms, we will know what we really lack..
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by pendusky(m): 12:53pm On Jun 18, 2012
leaks: With Corruption, Bombings, kidnappings, armed robbery, raping of young and old, cultist, ritualists, etc

is that what jst leaked in wikikeak? Lol. Wat we lack is jst *love*
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Frank3n2(m): 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2012
Nigeria Lacks Everything...
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by OmoLisabi(m): 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2012
Nigeria Lacks sincerity on the part of the leadership and courage on the path of the followers.
Nufffff Said
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 18, 2012
Nigeria is a country amalgamated together on no clear terms, on how the various tribes, and people involved can live together. Hence, why everyone is always crying foul when they're not in power.. If we can re-define the country, and go back to the foundation - and allow all the people (tribes) involved in Nigeria project, explain they want from the Nigerian project.. Then, we can talk - till then, it's always going to be a vicious cycle of poverty, terrorism, religious intolerance, extreme corruption, tribal hatred etc.

A house built on a shaky foundation will always be shaky...

What is Nigeria?

Who is a Nigerian? undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by dhabrio: 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2012
We lack good leadership and security
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Asemo11(m): 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2012
Leaders with version
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by dani1luv: 1:00pm On Jun 18, 2012
[size=13pt]We Lack an Educated First Lady grin[/size]
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by ibb4(m): 1:03pm On Jun 18, 2012
We lack confrontation(The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face).
Always keeping quiet, no will to fight,or oppose a probelm (e.g, boko haram,Government,cultist,the neighbor you see always throwing dirt on the street,the staff who closes before time always,.........)
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by dmitroika(m): 1:04pm On Jun 18, 2012
What we lack is self discipline.

1 Like

Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by proffmanue(m): 1:07pm On Jun 18, 2012
we lack quality education and professionalism.
we claimed to be educated but I think we are "educated illiterate" because we
don't practice what we learn in sch.
what we are good at is stealing at both local and international level.
naija problems are not limited to the politicians alone because most Nigerians
in foreign countries are bad ambassadors there.
we all lack the ability to do the right thing at every level of the society, even gate-man self na oga.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by drzed: 1:07pm On Jun 18, 2012

We lack a sense of belonging. Period.

If every Nigerian truly believed in the country and in the equality of his fellow citizen, (irrespective of tribe or religion) then the greed, corruption, kidnapping, bombings, etc would be eliminated. But most importantly, corruption stands out as a causal factor of the breakdown in law and order. However, even corruption itself is not our most serious problem. It is a symptom of the lack of collective sense belonging.

Corruption is a symptom of insecurity. People are not secure personally, economically, culturally or socially. So they steal from the treasury and fight other ethnic groups in order to satisfy the 'perceived' individual or existential threat. If we all truly believed that Nigeria will work (or is working) for us; that our kids will not struggle in future; that our ethnic group is not deemed inferior or will not be disadvantaged - then we would work for a better tomorrow.

Even Idiagbon (of blessed memory) as disciplined and as sincere as he was, cannot change Nigeria as it is today. A leader is only as good and as effective as the quality of followers he has. A leader was a follower yesterday, anyway. Most followers in Nigeria wont mind swapping places with the corrupt leadership. So, while many of us are eagerly waiting for that chance to pounce on the national cake, for the chance to loot our own share, for the chance to hammer overnight, we should not expect Nigeria to change at all.

To get a true sense of national belonging, we MUST sit and talk. Renegotiating our terms of existence as a country is long overdue. All options must be on the table. Why must we continue to agree to the white man's boundary? What does 'Nigeria' actually mean to YOU and to ME?

Those idiotic muppets who always shout that Nigeria's unity is non-negotiable are deceiving the gullible and the f00lish. The only relationship that is non-negotiable is a cult. Which Nigeria has become anyway. And we know who the chief cultists are. So, and until we get rid of the cultist (who are clearly benefiting from the status quo) a new Nigeria is just a dream.

ps. Those corrupt bas**rds in the national assembly are the least qualified people to discuss our future. They are the foot soldiers of the cult movement holding Nigeria by the jugulars. Have you ever seen any cult movement dismember or disband voluntarily?
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by drzed: 1:07pm On Jun 18, 2012
shymmex: What Nigeria lacks is the knowledge of self i.e the knowledge of what Nigeria is, and who Nigerians are..

We need to re-define what Nigeria itself actually means - and what being a Nigerian entails!!

What is Nigeria? And who's a Nigerian?

Once we re-define these terms, we will know what we really lack..

Bravo! Thank you for this.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Afam4eva(m): 1:15pm On Jun 18, 2012
life_style:

we don't lack anything in this country, WE are blessed with everything in abundance, I think our problem is our leaders.
This post is really myopic.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Cine(m): 1:21pm On Jun 18, 2012

Yet the PDP were voted in by the vast majority of those living in the south. Yeah sure there was some rigging involved, but most people I speak to in Lagos say they voted PDP, scratch that; they say they voted for Jonathan and not the PDP, go figure.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by FBS: 1:22pm On Jun 18, 2012
A country that was not meant to be
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by lifestyle1(m): 1:24pm On Jun 18, 2012
afam4eva:
This post is really myopic.

Young man, what wrong with the post that you can't comprehend ?

Nigeria don't lack anything we only have one problem - bad leadership! undecided
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by lifestyle1(m): 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
FBS: A country that was not meant to be

angry
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Kobojunkie: 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Brave men and women ready, and willing, to fight for the Change their children(not they) deserve.[/size]

All we have a lot of are men, and women, who mainly reproduce like dogs, not knowing they are no different from dogs unless they are able to make sure that their children at least have, and live in a better Nigeria than they grew up in.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Afam4eva(m): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2012
life_style:

Young man, what wrong with the post that you can't comprehend ?

Nigeria don't lack anything we only have one problem - bad leadership! undecided

What about bad followership etc.

1 Like

Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by eyookon80(m): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2012
WE LACK THE FEAR OF GOD IN THIS NATION OF OURS.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Ozegbe(m): 1:30pm On Jun 18, 2012
The only thing we lack in this country is good leader.
Nigeria is a great nation blessed with so many good resources including human resources, but the problem is lack of good leaders to manage them.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by alhussanglegma: 1:30pm On Jun 18, 2012
Frank3n2: Nigeria Lacks Everything...
+morality
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by LogicMind: 1:32pm On Jun 18, 2012
enough atheists
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by drzed: 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2012
afam4eva:

Very brilliant question. In my estimation, followers are equally responsible for our problems.

Those followers who participated, encouraged, siddon-looked or allowed corrupt leadership to plant its root have no business expecting good things in their society. It is not magic or rocket science.

It is like scrabble. When you dip your hand into the sack, you expect (desire) a high-score tile. The probability of getting a high-score tile is directly proportional to the number of high-score tiles still left in the sack at any given time.

Using the smallest political entity in Nigeria (i.e. a local govt. ward), we can now say that the probability of getting a good councillor in a ward is directly proportional to the number of good people in that ward. With bad followers, good leadership is nothing but a pipe dream. Simplez.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by lifestyle1(m): 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2012
afam4eva:

What do you expect when the head is rotten ?

If the leadership is corrupt free, I am sure the followership will also emulate the same thing... though some bad eggs will always be but it will be at a minimal level.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by musulumi(m): 1:36pm On Jun 18, 2012
I remember this Bruce Wilis movie titled"Tears of the Sun" when the troop sent to rescue to doctor wanted to assist those molested during the war. The Bishop who was asked whether interested to go along with the rescued objected and prayed for them saying:"go with god" which prompted Bruce to answer " God has already left Africa"
Therefore what we need is to ask for sincere forgiveness of god and pray for him to come back to Africa, otherwise,kesekese lari, kasakasa n bo lona, kasakasa baba kesekese!( what is currently happening is just the tip of the iceberg)
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by drzed: 1:48pm On Jun 18, 2012
proffmanue: we lack quality education and professionalism.
we claimed to be educated but I think we are "educated illiterate" because we
don't practice what we learn in sch.
what we are good at is stealing at both local and international level.
naija problems are not limited to the politicians alone because most Nigerians
in foreign countries are bad ambassadors there.
we all lack the ability to do the right thing at every level of the society, even gate-man self na oga.

Thank you for this. You spoke like a true Prof.

Big-man mentality is killing this country. Work culture is dead. Hard work and honest living is seen as weakness or failure. Most of us will do ANYTHING for money, just so that people will do 'rankadede' for us.

Nigerians are suffering from what I call 'Pythagoras syndrome' i.e. the unexplained tendency to seek a short-cut to anything, especially wealth and success, preferably through crooked means.
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Pain(m): 2:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
We simply lack the courage to do what is right
Re: What Does Nigeria Really Lack? by Kobojunkie: 2:03pm On Jun 18, 2012
Kobojunkie: [size=14pt]Nigeria lacks Brave men and women ready, and willing, to fight for the Change their children(not them) deserve.[/size]

All we have a lot of are men, and women, who mainly reproduce like dogs, not knowing they are no different from dogs unless they are able to make sure that their children at least have, and live in a better Nigeria than they grew up in.

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan Is The Answer To The Prayer Of All Nigerians, Ribadu / Kayode Fayemi Minister Of Solid Minerals, Should Be Sacked / Why Is "IPOB Youth" Used To Describe Anyone With A Different Opinion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.