Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants (13015 Views)

Soldiers Kill More Boko Haram Militants,Recover Weapons In Borno. Graphic Photos / Troops Kill Boko Haram Militants In Borno School, Also Recover Weapons.pics / Nigerian Troops Claim They Killed 100 Boko Haram Militants In Yobe(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by LocalChamp: 3:01am On Jun 21, 2012
Exclusive: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Nigerian Militants -Reuters
P

caption: Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau
By John Shiffman and Mark Hosenball
(Reuters) - The U.S. government is expected to formally apply a "foreign terrorist" label on Thursday to three alleged leading figures of the violent Nigerian militant group Boko Haram, officials said.

The action by the State and Treasury departments follows growing pressure on the Obama Administration to take stronger action against Boko Haram. The group, which says it wants to establish an Islamic caliphate in northern Nigeria, has stepped up attacks on Christian places of worship this year.

Thursday's anticipated action, officials said, involves applying the "terrorist" designation to three men presumed to be central figures in the group.

The three individuals, an official said, are Abubakar Shekau, aged around 43, described as a Boko Haram leader who allegedly aligned himself with al Qaeda in a video message; Abubakar Adam Kambar, aged roughly 35; and Khalid al Barnawi, aged approximately 36. All three are native Nigerians.

The expected action will freeze any assets they have in the United States, and bar U.S. persons from any transactions with them.

It is among the first such action the U.S. government has taken against Boko Haram, but falls short of demands from some U.S. lawmakers and the Justice Department to designate the entire group as a "foreign terrorist organization."

The State Department has been under pressure to act against Boko Haram for months. In January, Lisa Monaco, the Justice Department's top national security official, sent a letter to the State Department arguing that the Nigerian group met the criteria for a "foreign terrorist" listing because it either engages in terrorism that threatens the United States or has a capability or intent to do so.

Boko Haram increasingly is seen as a potent threat to Nigeria, the continent's most populous state and major oil producer, and as part of growing arc of Islamist extremist groups stretching across northern Africa.
More recently, a group of Republican senators led by Scott Brown of Massachusetts introduced legislation requiring the State Department to determine whether Boko Haram should be designated as a terrorist group.

Republican Representative Patrick Meehan, who chairs a Homeland Security subcommittee in the House, also introduced an amendment that would force the administration to add Boko Haram to the terrorism list or explain why it was not doing so.

However, U.S. diplomats are weighing these demands against counter arguments, including those made by a group of academic experts on Africa who sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last month urging her not to designate Boko Haram as a terrorist group.

The academics argued that the move could backfire by enhancing the group's reputation among potential recruits and other militant groups. A U.S. designation might also empower more radical elements of Boko Haram, which is divided into factions, the professors said.

In her letter to the State Department, Monaco of the Justice Department reported that since 2009 Boko Haram has conducted violent attacks against Nigeria's "police, politicians, public institutions and civilian population."

Monaco said that according to press reports, Boko Haram claimed responsibility for 510 victims in 2011, and also took credit for a January 20 attack on government buildings in Kano in which more than 160 were killed.

She said that although Boko Haram attacks until now have occurred only within Nigeria, Washington should not underestimate the threat the group poses to U.S. interests.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/20/us-usa-militants-bokoharam-idUSBRE85J1NC20120620
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by koruji(m): 3:13am On Jun 21, 2012
Here comes the drones and the F-15s!!!

5 Likes

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Nobody: 3:17am On Jun 21, 2012
This gives meaning to the proposed US Kano consulate.
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by dasparrow: 3:42am On Jun 21, 2012
koruji: Here comes the drones and the F-15s!!!

How can the american vultures bring drones for only 3 men? It is not the whole organization that was labelled 'terrorist' but rather the 3 men listed in the article. Let's be careful how we wish american drones on our country. If the drones come, all of Nigeria will be affected and not just the northern part as it is now. Carcinogens will be let out in the air that will cause cancer and respiratory illnesses in the people in the not so distant future.

See what americans have turned Iraq and Afghanistan to. Those countries have become worse than what they were before the over one decade long US occupation. We should be very careful what we wish for. America does not give a toss about Nigerians and our welfare (You need need to see the vile, spiteful, insensitive comments americans made on yahoo during the dana air crash). So, don't be deceived. If we did not have oil and natural resources, they (americans) will sit there, laugh at us and watch us kill ourselves.

@Post

Na dem sabi

6 Likes

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by musiwa1: 3:48am On Jun 21, 2012
dd
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by StarrMatthieu: 8:52am On Jun 21, 2012
Many thanks[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 21, 2012
dasparrow:

How can the american vultures bring drones for only 3 men? It is not the whole organization that was labelled 'terrorist' but rather the 3 men listed in the article. Let's be careful how we wish american drones on our country. If the drones come, all of Nigeria will be affected and not just the northern part as it is now. Carcinogens will be let out in the air that will cause cancer and respiratory illnesses in the people in the not so distant future.

See what americans have turned Iraq and Afghanistan to. Those countries have become worse than what they were before the over one decade long US occupation. We should be very careful what we wish for. America does not give a toss about Nigerians and our welfare (You need need to see the vile, spiteful, insensitive comments americans made on yahoo during the dana air crash). So, don't be deceived. If we did not have oil and natural resources, they (americans) will sit there, laugh at us and watch us kill ourselves.

@Post

Na dem sabi

u sound like a boko haram sympathizer. i believe our security system is compromised, so the best thing is for a neutral security system (usa) to be involved.and get dis shit out of ur country once and for aall

7 Likes

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 21, 2012
Operation disintegrate Nigeria by 2015 activated !

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Demdem(m): 9:31am On Jun 21, 2012
The most effective way to me is to slap a "terrorist" label on PDP, the killer party since PDP = Evil Boko

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by obekemmy: 9:38am On Jun 21, 2012
god is fighting for us, lets just hold our peace.
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by dadde(m): 9:47am On Jun 21, 2012
u sound like a boko haram sympathizer. i believe our security system is compromised, so the best thing is for a neutral security system (usa) to be involved.and get dis poo out of ur country once and for aall.

am i support of u. if this action will make our leaders re-think, am in support of it.
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:47am On Jun 21, 2012
U.S will never cease to surprise me..

In Nigeria, when you say Boko Haram , the names that come to mind include;

1. Mohammed Yusuf (Dead leader)

2. Abu Qaqa (Spokesman)

3. Rtd Major General Muhammadu Buhari (Financier, Grand Patron and Sponsor)

3. Senator Ali Ndume (Government Rep)

4. Alhaji Nasir El-Rufai (Financier)

5. Abubakar Shekau (Former II i.c now Leader)

and a few others; But who come be these two again na?!

Abubakar Adam Kambar, aged roughly 35; and Khalid al Barnawi, - I never heard of them before now o!!
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by farouqzaib: 9:59am On Jun 21, 2012
crusifis:
u sound like a boko haram sympathizer. i believe our security system is compromised, so the best thing is for a neutral security system (usa) to be involved.and get dis shit out of ur country once and for aall

U couldn't be more wrong. Like he said, be careful what you wish for. Why didn't America go into Rwanda during the genocide(or the numerous genocides), well cus America has no financial or national interest there. Hell, they can't even have a military base there. Why were they so quick to remove Ghadaffi, actually the guy's time was due and they wanted Libya(there's this black thing there they call oil). Nobody is doing anything about Bashar Al Assad and he has killed as much people as the Libyan dude did, well they control him already.

I'm all for strong military actions against those imps. I mean it's someone's relative they kill any time they strike. I just hope the yankees won't leave an Afghanistan when they leave, if they decide to leave.

BTW I doubt he is a BH sympathizer.

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Domaro: 10:03am On Jun 21, 2012
Sincerely in support of u bro, long live USA; long live USB, short live NIGERIA
~Bluetooth:

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by canuck(m): 10:04am On Jun 21, 2012
According to the National Security Adviser, Gen Azazi (rtd), that should be the top 3 officials of PDP, abi?!
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 21, 2012
As much as I'm eager to see the shameful end to bh as a group and their terrorism, I don't want the involvement of the US govt. in our nation affairs all in the name of intervention. Their impact in the middle east has destroyed & shattered the image of them (middle east countries).

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:10am On Jun 21, 2012
canuck: According to the National Security Adviser, Gen Azazi (rtd), that should be the top 3 officials of PDP, abi?!

You funny men....
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by aurenflani: 10:11am On Jun 21, 2012
@SPIRIT OF OKIJA - U forgot to mention Ojukwu d dead terrorists.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by BBDelta(m): 10:15am On Jun 21, 2012

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by erniok(m): 10:29am On Jun 21, 2012
Now this is what I call Intel. They may even know more than Naija Intel. They can help naija intel with these info and stay back in the west. I don't want another Iraqi here.
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by maigaskiya1: 10:31am On Jun 21, 2012
~Bluetooth:

my man o jare dats sm gud news o
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by oiseworld: 10:34am On Jun 21, 2012
so what about the dronnes? Labelling them a terriorist group has nothing to do with dronnes. Over 50+ died within sunday and today, and they were not killed by US dronnes. The US should label the entire group a terriorist group and not just 3 of them. And take neccessary action against them,their sponsors and host.

Thers nothing to fear !!!
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by ebamma(m): 10:39am On Jun 21, 2012
i hope say buhari and el-rufai name dey inside.
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by gbadexy(m): 10:39am On Jun 21, 2012
We better be careful of what we wish for. I support them conducting covert operation to neutralize the threat but wishing for drone is another thing entirely.
The drone attack is not accurate and the collateral damage is quite high. Obama justifies such killings in middle east by their own determined reasoning that any body in certain perimeter of the target is also a target because they believe they are harboring and protecting the target. But can a bomb distinguish between a christian, muslim and terrorists, like what they do in afghanistan and co, they would tender apology for innocent casualty. Just google it and confirm.

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Nobody: 10:44am On Jun 21, 2012
koruji: Here comes the drones and the F-15s!!!
That was my first thought when I saw the headline. But maybe the F-15s no yet, but certainly the drones. The drones against the 3 and all those associated with them.
Plus, is it any puzzling that as far away as America is they certainly have a more detailed understanding of Boko Haram and its leaders than does the Nigerian government!
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Nobody: 10:44am On Jun 21, 2012
farouqzaib:

U couldn't be more wrong. Like he said, be careful what you wish for. Why didn't America go into Rwanda during the genocide(or the numerous genocides), well cus America has no financial or national interest there. Hell, they can't even have a military base there. Why were they so quick to remove Ghadaffi, actually the guy's time was due and they wanted Libya(there's this black thing there they call oil). Nobody is doing anything about Bashar Al Assad and he has killed as much people as the Libyan dude did, well they control him already.

I'm all for strong military actions against those imps. I mean it's someone's relative they kill any time they strike. I just hope the yankees won't leave an Afghanistan when they leave, if they decide to leave.

AND ONLY THOSE WITH NORTHERN USER NAME, KEEPS OBJECTING THIS MOVE
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by DaLover(m): 10:51am On Jun 21, 2012
dasparrow:

@Post

Na dem sabi

If you know how much the same america invested into bringing justice to one man (Osama bin laden), then you woouldnt ask such a question....
Anything they want to turn the north into, let it be?

They are said they will not relent on the bombings because a SS guy is the president..meanwhile they intend to use resources from the oil to fund islamic government in northern nigeria...other misguided bigots here feel Goodluck will be bullied into resigning his mandate...Instead let the country burn up...I can't live in a country where someone from my area is automatically not good enuf to be president.

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Detongue: 10:54am On Jun 21, 2012
Dey forgot to name Buhari and El rufui
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by DaLover(m): 11:00am On Jun 21, 2012
BBDelta:

All what you have heared and listed is what politician and govt of PDP wants you to hear, you think the American don't do their job very well, Dey there dey fool yourself, they name names of Buhari, elrufai as financier without evidence we all will stand before God and give an account.

Evidence?
Just imagin a senario where Buhari speaks vehemently against the actions of BOKO HARAM? Invoking the hearts and minds of his supporters against the Boko Haram militants who live amongst them?
What will it take for him to do this? absolutely nothing!!!

instead he prefers to wait silently, hoping that Boko-haram will bully GEJ out of power, so he will have the opportunity to step in..
It all about the oil mannnnnnn
Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by DaLover(m): 11:04am On Jun 21, 2012
farouqzaib:

From my own point of view, there is no difference...nothern generals and SW colaborators exploiting oil resources vs USA exploiting oil resources....one using Islamic violence and media attacks, the other using drones and F15s...

1 Like

Re: U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 21, 2012
Aye!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Will Be Delivered To President Buhari - Ambode Vows / Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa / More Graduates To Be Recruited Into Police- Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.