Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,038 members, 7,825,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill (6105 Views)

Ekiti Lawmakers Reject Governor Fayose's List Of Commisioners. / Nasarawa Impeachment: Lawmakers Reject Panel’s Verdict, Vow To Impeach Al-makura / Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by virgo(f): 2:47pm On Jun 21, 2012
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by OAM4J: 3:07pm On Jun 21, 2012
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Jamesqu(m): 3:19pm On Jun 21, 2012
Shouldn't they be discussing BH.....am lost!

6 Likes

Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by mbhs139(m): 3:43pm On Jun 21, 2012
virgo:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/kano-bill-on-ramadan-bonuses-rejected/118414/

To make the above article a lot simpler, here is my analysis in question and answer format

Que - what is the amendment all about?

Ans : Some lawmakers want an amendment to the existing law enacted(brought into force) in 2005 that makes it mandatory for the governor to pay the said bonuses.

Que - What is the amendment all about?

Ans : The amendment is supposed to give the governor the power to decide how and when he pays the bonuses.

Que - why isn't the ammendment making it compulsory for the governor to pay the bonuses, since he clearly doesn't want to pay?

Ans : Because the few legislators sponsoring it are trying to either curry favour with the governor by giving him discretionary powers over an existing law as he is seeking to do away with the law through a repeal. - Their thoughts -"don't take away the loaf. You can give us half bread". While the majority probably do not want favouritism in the payment of those bonuses. - Their thoughts - "comply with the law. Pay our bonuses!" smiley. Okay, that is just my own analysis. Seriously NLanders, what is your take on the article?

And since when has it been the work of government to pay Ramadan and Ram allowance? I don't think it is even done in Saudi Arabia, I may have to find out. Afterall, the civil servant are being paid their salary and wages. So, what's this payment all about? Besides, is the payment only for the muslim population of the government workforce oor it includes their christian counterparts too? Honestly, I'm hearing this for the first time ... that government pay Ramadan and Ram allowance. O ga o!
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Ganys: 3:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
mbhs139:

And since when has it been the work of government to pay Ramadan and Ram allowance? I don't think it is even done in Saudi Arabia, I may have to find out. Afterall, the civil servant are being paid their salary and wages. So, what's this payment all about? Besides, is the payment only for the muslim population of the government workforce oor it includes their christian counterparts too? Honestly, I'm hearing this for the first time ... that government pay Ramadan and Ram allowance. O ga o!
My friend, what is your problem, Its their money, they can spend it the way they like. In as much as the said bonus and allowance is for the interest of the Masses. Abi make poor civil servant no chop from yearly largesee?

2 Likes

Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by maclatunji: 3:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
mbhs139:

Have you heard of Christmas/December bonus?

1 Like

Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by ayusman16(m): 4:18pm On Jun 21, 2012
maclatunji:

Have you heard of Christmas/December bonus?

Nothing like Christmas/December bonus..... you only have end of year bonus which is applicable to all.

The are using money meant for development to build mosques and go for pilgrimages. Money gotten from Kaffir's oil.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by maclatunji: 4:28pm On Jun 21, 2012
ayusman16:

Nothing like Christmas/December bonus..... you only have end of year bonus which is applicable to all.

The are using money meant for development to build mosques and go for pilgrimages. Money gotten from Kaffir's oil.

Speak for yourself. Go to National Assembly to change the constitution if you are so disturbed. End of year bonus... how very natural.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by skullbaba: 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2012
I never supported the yearly,ramadan and all sort of largese but we must understand that democracy is a game of number. Have the number you do anything like one of my great men HITLER did. Even the people cant complain because it is done everywhere only the name changes abi ?
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Seun(m): 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ganys: My friend, what is your problem, Its their money, they can spend it the way they like. In as much as the said bonus and allowance is for the interest of the Masses. Abi make poor civil servant no chop from yearly largesee?
It's not their money. It's our money. Why should our money be wasted by its custodians?
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by otokx(m): 5:06pm On Jun 21, 2012
Which their money? How much and from what do they generate revenue? Shaking my head for this country, tomorrow they will start pointing fingers at GEJ when they are themselves evil.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by kenerep: 5:13pm On Jun 21, 2012
the question that should be asked is this, do all workers get the gift abi na for just muslims alone? If all workers then they should stick with either 13 month or ramadan own....abegii there are too many almajiri on the streets to feed and cater for!
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by str8talk1: 5:15pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dis is what u get when u have thieves & armed robbers according to Baba Iyabo in place of trust. while they shld b deliberating,strategizing on how to curb or stop d BH menace,they r busy wt mundane filthy desires. what a manner of law makers,don't b surprise,most of them can't read or write.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by virgo(f): 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2012
maclatunji:

Speak for yourself. Go to National Assembly to change the constitution if you are so disturbed. End of year bonus... how very natural.

Don't you think this is the reason why we have so much conflict in the land? leaders past and present have always used these religious based incentives to keep the masses pliant and divided. From pilgrimages (Christian and Muslim) to bonuses for religious holidays or events, our leaders have got it all wrong. Why not use these funds to develop crumbling infrastructures around the country instead?
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by SkyBlue1: 5:42pm On Jun 21, 2012
WHO SAID IT IS THEIR MONEY?? As long as they collect FEDERAL MONEY it is our business. The federal government supports ALL states in the federation. Can you imagine?? How much IG does Kano generate?? Later people will start giving unecessarily complicated reason as to why that region is poor. Can you imagine?? Ram allowance for all civil servant. Are you kidding me?? Perhaps all Nigerian states deserve to be poor, but it seems some states deserve to be poorer than others.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by ismhab(m): 5:52pm On Jun 21, 2012
Kwankwaso has already lost focus.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by yeye4live(m): 6:48pm On Jun 21, 2012
Instead of dem tinkin of ow 2solve bokoharam problem na ram sharing dey re dyen 4
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by kuma007(m): 6:56pm On Jun 21, 2012
if u say it is their money, u are right and if u also say it is our money u are also right. but i know that if u own something and u give a part to someone, u hav given him all the right attached to the money. there are so many religious bonuses to civil servants throughout the country just that they are not enacted by way of legislations. each and everyonr of us should check our respectives states too.the late okadigbo was never a muslim, bt claimed to have bought ileya ram with 'our money'.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by funshint(m): 7:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
useless pple, abokis and mis-placed priorities. mtcheww!
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Aahammed1: 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2012
@ Funshint useless person oloshi omo, always think before u post anything
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Alumnus: 8:32pm On Jun 21, 2012
I can't imagine civil servants in the East demanding for New Yam Festival bonuses and allawances.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by maclatunji: 10:16pm On Jun 21, 2012
virgo:

Don't you think this is the reason why we have so much conflict in the land? leaders past and present have always used these religious based incentives to keep the masses pliant and divided. From pilgrimages (Christian and Muslim) to bonuses for religious holidays or events, our leaders have got it all wrong. Why not use these funds to develop crumbling infrastructures around the country instead?

Leave all that aside- how are you LLV? Now, to the topic, practice true federalism and not a disguised unitary system of government and this will not be an issue. Mind you, I am not an advocate of that national conference rubbish- we need free and fair elections where the people's votes count. Once elected officials are accountable to the people, you will not have all of this bitterness, suspicion, corruption and disorder in the land.

States that want to buy rams for each family can do so if they want or are we not in a democracy?

1 Like

Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 21, 2012
virgo:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/kano-bill-on-ramadan-bonuses-rejected/118414/

To make the above article a lot simpler, here is my analysis in question and answer format

Que - what is the amendment all about?

Ans : Some lawmakers want an amendment to the existing law enacted(brought into force) in 2005 that makes it mandatory for the governor to pay the said bonuses.

Que - What is the amendment all about?

Ans : The amendment is supposed to give the governor the power to decide how and when he pays the bonuses.

Que - why isn't the ammendment making it compulsory for the governor to pay the bonuses, since he clearly doesn't want to pay?

Ans : Because the few legislators sponsoring it are trying to either curry favour with the governor by giving him discretionary powers over an existing law as he is seeking to do away with the law through a repeal. - Their thoughts -"don't take away the loaf. You can give us half bread". While the majority probably do not want favouritism in the payment of those bonuses. - Their thoughts - "comply with the law. Pay our bonuses!" smiley. Okay, that is just my own analysis. Seriously NLanders, what is your take on the article?

legal Backing
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Nobody: 6:30am On Jun 22, 2012
maclatunji:

Stup[i]i[/i]d really. You seem a very irrational fellow.
End of yr bonuses are as common as the cold virus. Most private companies pay bonuses to workers at the end of the fiscal yr... in my company it is tied to employee performance. Ever heard of 13th month salary?

What has the above to do with governments paying sallah ram bonuses?

And we wonder why nigeria is going down the tubes. This is one example of why i mostly turn up my nose when i see computer jingoists like you bleating about how GEJ is the worst man on earth. Many of you are allergic to good governance and will excuse corruption as long as it favors you.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Nobody: 6:33am On Jun 22, 2012
Ganys:
My friend, what is your problem, Its their money, they can spend it the way they like. In as much as the said bonus and allowance is for the interest of the Masses. Abi make poor civil servant no chop from yearly largesee?

Oh dear. undecided What is most unfortunate is that someone actually did "like" this post.

I hope this man never criticizes the govt again... afterall it is their money to steal it the way they like no? hypocrite. In civilized countries, the govt takes care of the interest of the masses by providing transparent, stable and effective governance so the citizens have enough to buy their own ram... In nigeria, idi[i]o[/i]ts like you urge govt to buy rams for the people using money meant to provide radar facilities at dilapidated airports.

Just waiting for the next national tragedy so i can watch you and the wuss maclatunji take up your usual false anger directed at the govt.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by fstranger6: 7:19am On Jun 22, 2012
davidylan:

Oh dear. undecided What is most unfortunate is that someone actually did "like" this post.

I hope this man never criticizes the govt again... afterall it is their money to steal it the way they like no? hypocrite. In civilized countries, the govt takes care of the interest of the masses by providing transparent, stable and effective governance so the citizens have enough to buy their own ram... In nigeria, idi[i]o[/i]ts like you urge govt to buy rams for the people using money meant to provide radar facilities at dilapidated airports.

Just waiting for the next national tragedy so i can watch you and the wuss maclatunji take up your usual false anger directed at the govt.

Bobo ode!
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by virgo(f): 9:25am On Jun 22, 2012
maclatunji:

Leave all that aside- how are you LLV? Now, to the topic, practice true federalism and not a disguised unitary system of government and this will not be an issue. Mind you, I am not an advocate of that national conference rubbish- we need free and fair elections where the people's votes count. Once elected officials are accountable to the people, you will not have all of this bitterness, suspicion, corruption and disorder in the land.

States that want to buy rams for each family can do so if they want or are we not in a democracy?

I am with you on the need to practice true federalism, but don't you think also practising this welfare or nanny system is inimical to our growth?
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by freeR1: 10:08am On Jun 22, 2012
davidylan:

Stup[i]i[/i]d really. You seem a very irrational fellow.
End of yr bonuses are as common as the cold virus. Most private companies pay bonuses to workers at the end of the fiscal yr... in my company it is tied to employee performance. Ever heard of 13th month salary?

What has the above to do with governments paying sallah ram bonuses?

And we wonder why nigeria is going down the tubes. This is one example of why i mostly turn up my nose when i see computer jingoists like you bleating about how GEJ is the worst man on earth. Many of you are allergic to good governance and will excuse corruption as long as it favors you.

Don't insult, just make your comment and pass, anyway, Y end of the year? Is it statutory? I don't need mine end of the year, I need it in May to celebrate the Jewish day or ramadan or sallah, is that a problem? A lot of companies and countries financial year does not follow the calendar year, in fact most start in August, so why wait till December to pay bonuses? Are you into finance? (if you are not find out from CBN, DMO, Bureau of Stat) check our debt profile and foreign reserves in the last two years and you will understand why GEJ might be the worst man.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by maclatunji: 10:09am On Jun 22, 2012
virgo:

I am with you on the need to practice true federalism, but don't you think also practising this welfare or nanny system is inimical to our growth?

The job of the government is to minimise social costs and maximise social benefits. If the people want rams and they voted you in on the 'ram platform', give them ram. Seriously though, you need to look at everything as a whole and not just in isolation. I can guarantee you that if all the rich Muslims paid Zakat(the Islamic tax). There would be more than enough money to wipe poverty in Nigeria irrespective of your religion because money does not know religion when it is deployed as capital or as a means of exchange. Just go back to true federalism.
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by maclatunji: 10:13am On Jun 22, 2012
free R1:

Don't insult, just make your comment and pass, anyway, Y end of the year? Is it statutory? I don't need mine end of the year, I need it in May to celebrate the Jewish day or ramadan or sallah, is that a problem? A lot of companies and countries financial year does not follow the calendar year, in fact most start in August, so why wait till December to pay bonuses? Are you into finance? (if you are not find out from CBN, DMO, Bureau of Stat) check our debt profile and foreign reserves in the last two years and you will understand why GEJ might be the worst man.

Are you minding him? The mixture of his lack of decorum and overbloated ego is potent-enough to supply Nigeria electricity for a thousand thousand years.

David, we have seen you, now run along and play. tongue
Re: Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill by Jarus(m): 7:48pm On Jun 22, 2012
ayusman16:

I dont know whether it exists in the the public sector, but in many private sector organizations there are turkey/christmas bonuses or under similar nomenclature. And I'm not talking about performance-based end-of-year bonus and 13th month, which are entirely different and are given in addition to the above.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Runs The Lagos Economy? / Court Will Disqualify Buhari Tomorrow. / OMG! See Photos Of Aridolf Hotel Owned By First Lady Patience Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.