Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,823 members, 7,844,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk (15628 Views)

20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Drug Trafficking In Indonesia (Pic) / Calabar Boy Caught And Burnt To Death For Stealing (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by shevon: 11:12am On Jun 22, 2012
If anybody I know in this country is caught for stealing, the amount must run into billions of USDs. If not, I'll beg the judge to allow me deal with the person in the open court room there. I swear, I go dice the person with machete!!!
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by gegee(m): 11:16am On Jun 22, 2012
well the law they say is an ass
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by shevon: 11:17am On Jun 22, 2012
Sanguine77: In as much as I do not support armed robbery, injustice anywhere is unacceptable. This guy stole N2105 only in 2005 and has been in detention without trial for 8 years. When finally his case gets a nod, they give him the noose. Lopsided judgement, perversion of justice, criminal negligence, unacceptable ruling and ungodly judge.

Because of these, I recommend to the peoples court that this stupid judge be sentenced to 80 strokes of the cane and amputation of both hands.

If you support this judgement say "aye".

Aye! (A billion times over!)
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by waja(m): 11:18am On Jun 22, 2012
noblezone: Ladies and Gentlemen,

If the criminal was Adamu Shehu and the victim Mrs Ify Obidike, the case would had been thrown out since for lack of "evidence".

I will wait for the stones to be hauled at me for "championing" ethnic sentiments: but in times like this, I cannot keep quite.

Please, any one in Jos or nearby who is touched by this story should get the full details of the young man, so that we can see what can be done to save him.

As much as I hate his crime and will not support such, allowing to die for this particular crime, while a judge is threatening to release members of the Boko Haram is nothing but injustice glorified.

. My brother, God bless U. Imagine foolish Chessboard or Cheeseburg said he should suffer because he's an Igbo man. Satan must punish him and his brother Lawan who stole the nation.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ojofree: 11:18am On Jun 22, 2012
timbros:
So if possession of gun warrant death sentence, what will be the penalty of actual murder? Was it even attempted murder? Guy think with ur brain and not ur bottom...
Why not hang all those armed militants that terrorised south south for years. Why amnesty?
Do you know how to read? Please go back and read the OP and note the defense lawyer's argument.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ojofree: 11:19am On Jun 22, 2012
timbros:
So if possession of gun warrant death sentence, what will be the penalty of actual murder? Was it even attempted murder? Guy think with ur brain and not ur bottom...
Why not hang all those armed militants that terrorised south south for years. Why amnesty?
Do you know how to read? Please go back and read the OP and note the defense lawyer's argument.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by yorke1: 11:21am On Jun 22, 2012
As long as he used arm in carrying out his devilish operation, he deserve to be hanged. He could have killed that woman. who knows?
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by AnswerKnapp: 11:23am On Jun 22, 2012
[size=25pt]F U C K I N G IDIOTS[/size]

I am so happy i no longer live in Nigeria, it was like being in a country of morons
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 11:24am On Jun 22, 2012
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by LordReed(m): 11:27am On Jun 22, 2012
What a tragedy! Million dollar thieves go scot free while penny pinchers are hung. What a perversion of justice!
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by executinal(m): 11:27am On Jun 22, 2012
This [size=28pt]NEWS IS FAKE[/size]
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ojofree: 11:28am On Jun 22, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

My friend nobody rob a cup of milk with a real gun, that gun is a toy gun i am sure, na hunger cause am and he has been in prison for 7 yrs shocked shocked shocked, whaaaat
Anybody the Judge's GSM number pls.
Real gun, toy gun, it makes no difference in the eye of the law. My friend, it is the intent that count, that is why there is a crime called attempted murder.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by kolaxy(m): 11:29am On Jun 22, 2012
The fact that some corrupt govt officials think that they are above the law by stealing what belongs to us all does not justify someone's reason for going into ARMED ROBBERY. Two wrongs cannot make a right. Carrying a fire-arm illegally is a serious criminal offence and when it's combined with robbery then it becomes more serious.
However, I think the judgement was too harsh. Two years in jail is okay.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ballabriggs: 11:30am On Jun 22, 2012
I don't think the Judge has done anything wrong. He has passed his judgement in accordance with the law, an unfair law that prescribes death for an armed robber whilst leaving the thieves in high places with a slap on the wrist if at all they are made to face judgement.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Bastiger(m): 11:30am On Jun 22, 2012
What!!! This has to be a joke a man sentenced to death for less than 2000?that judge needs to have his head examined...i mean this is outreageous...60 page judgement?WTF!!whole bunch of assholes
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Aksally(m): 11:30am On Jun 22, 2012
Are we not guilty of these kind of acts? What about the videos of girls been stripped naked because they stole handbags and phones and post on online? Why can't we stripped Bankole, Lawan, Otedola, Ibru and the rests naked inside the court premises in a 'we no go gree oo, we no go gree ooo' commando style as they step out of the court room?
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Olalekan0(m): 11:45am On Jun 22, 2012
The punishment for robbery used to be 14 years if the offender possesed firearms or weapons,then life imprisonment if he uses the weapon or firearms to inflict injuries on anybody during the commission of the offence.

However,Owing to increase in cases of robbery after the civil war,The Robbery and Firearms(Special Provisions) decree no 47 was enacted in 1970 to hand out severer punishment to offenders. Offenders with weapons are henceforth liable for 21 years imprisonment and death by hanging or firing squad if they used the weapons to injure anyone.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 11:45am On Jun 22, 2012
cogitoErgo: this is another conspiracy against the Igbos, a Yoruba woman conspiring with Plateau people to hang an Igbo robber, Obinah grin
Mr as much as am shocked at d sentence being handed down to d accused,it is very funny dat u begin to whip up ethnic sentiments, u dnt jst insult people of plateau as if we are a bunch of morons and tribalists like d 3 major tribes causing problems for us in this country, please Mr be more courteous,if u hav ever been robbed at gun point before, u will nw undastand
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by hannydarl(f): 11:45am On Jun 22, 2012
NigeriAn judges Sef. If he rAped a womAn or child they. Would givbe him 1 year or a fiNe of. 5000 naira.
Chie itS better in. Their. Eyes to rape than. Steal Milk.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by oluwacjay: 11:57am On Jun 22, 2012
This country's so pathetic, justice 4 d poor. I bet dat statued chic in d supreme court is definitely not blind. She sees d crimes of her fornicators and keeps quiet. Ask lawan if am lyin
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Exponental(m): 11:57am On Jun 22, 2012
What type of death will be given 2 d subsidy thieves?
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by kolaoloye(m): 11:58am On Jun 22, 2012
Joke of the month grin
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 22, 2012
Are u kiddin me? No now,d corruptible judge must have been under the influence of alcohol...btw,d case wont end like dat even if say na free madness
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by monimbo(m): 11:59am On Jun 22, 2012
then wetin d go do faruke lawan..,.... Oboy dat 1 na firing squard. R.i.p mr. Lawan
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Delafruita(m): 12:09pm On Jun 22, 2012
Boboedom: That judge need his head examined, seriously. The country is being turned into a huge joke.

the focus of the judge was the gun.however i think the judged erred in delivering a death sentence.but as it is sometimes,the prosecutors demand the full sentence when the defendant is uncooperative especially where an accomplice is involved.irrespective of the amount stolen,the crime of armed robbery carries the death penalty within our country.i suspect the guy had an inexperienced lawyer who couldnt prove that the third confession was coerced probably under force or pains.the appeal should be a walk in the park with a good lawyer.but i doubt he'd go scotfree if the police can tie him to a gun
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by tessyade: 12:20pm On Jun 22, 2012
This story cant be true. It must be a joke or something.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by uche13: 12:20pm On Jun 22, 2012
Now this is getting annoying! angry.

I wonder why we cannot keep quiet about things we know little or nothing about or take out some time to research about it before commenting aimlessly with so much confidence.

Section 402 of the criminal code act applicable in every state in Nigeria states thus and is very clear.

1. “Any person who commits the offence of robbery shall upon conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than 21 years.

2. If –

(a) any offender mentioned in subsection (1) of this section is armed with any fire arms or any offensive weapon or any obnoxious or chemical materials or is in company with any person so armed; or
(b) at or immediately before or immediately after the time of robbery the said offender wounds any person.

The offender shall upon conviction be sentenced to death”.
Please does it look like the judge has any discretion in a situation like this? Is it not elementary knowledge that the judiciary is not the body tasked with the responsibility of making the law but just implements it? So why insult the judge who has to follow the stipulated law or since when did judges start making laws. If you feel so strong about it, rally around your elected legislators to amend the law because that is their FUNCTION and stop acting like the bane of Nigeria’s problem is the judiciary.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by tunnytox(m): 12:32pm On Jun 22, 2012
The Nigerian judiciary which consists of many foreign trained lawyers are a disgrace to their profession. In Nigeria of today evidence extracted through torture are accepted by these judges, they sentence several defendants into long term prison term or even death based on circumstancial evidence, they allows the Nigerian police to get away with anything, many of these judges even feel like a dictator. What a ridiculous sentence, the judge in question need to be detained in a mental heath facility as he's obviously mentally retarded.
Absolutely ridiculous!! angry angry
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Alumnus: 12:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
A Boko Haram guy was last year sentenced to 3years for using bombs while someone is sentenced to death for using a gun to threaten a woman (not killed yet) and someone claim that it is the Law. Boko Haram has been killing endlessly for up to 3 years now and in every case there will always not be enough evidence to prosecute them. I thought our Law recognises the difference between the letters of the law and the spirit of the law? How can a politician steal in billions, kill fellow politician in an election, publicly acknowledge the reciept of a bribe in Millions and go scotfree while a boy is sentenced to death for possessing a firearm? If the guy is not freed, I'll assume there is no honour in our Judiciary, from the Supreme court down to the customary court.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by BSpecial: 12:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
i can't believe this. the judge must be having a kind of problem that needs "medical" attention
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Onegai(f): 12:37pm On Jun 22, 2012
Now according to the law, he has to have been in possesion of a weapon, with intent to use it and also used it on the victim, right, in order to qualify for the death penalty? Well, the weapon wasnt used on the victim, possesion of the weapon cannot be 100 percent proved in the case as belonging to the accused (this is Nigeria, I will confess to supplying the egyptians info to Moses' whereabouts, helping Hitler invade Poland and flying a plane on 9/11, after 1 week in kirikiri) and the time spent in detention. I think the judge could have prescribed 15-21 yrs and still execute the will of the people and the law of the people. Not a death penalty.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by redsun(m): 12:49pm On Jun 22, 2012
Nigerian judges are educated illitrates. They dont think and they just as irrational as the politicians. The english acquired and imposed laws they practice are like words and tenents of the bible and .quoran,infallable and unchangeable. Stone age b.astards.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests 7 Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Abuja / Police Officer Involved In Anita Akapson Killing, Part Of Investigating Team / Murder Of Shola Adeghegha By Police In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.