Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? (11673 Views)

Why Do Atheist Hate Something That Doesn' Exit. / Why Do Atheist Hate Only The "Christian God"? / Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mikuz(m): 6:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
Simba757: Atheists are required to 'SOLEMNLY AFFIRM'.
That's the right reserved for them in the court of law.
good to know.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Dsage1: 7:15pm On Jun 22, 2012
I'm still expecting those stronger atheists to respond to this question.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by logicboy01: 7:18pm On Jun 22, 2012
D sage: I'm still expecting those stronger atheists to respond to this question.

1) the question has been answered

2) you werent the one that asked the question in the 1st place. angry
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Ptolomeus(m): 8:00pm On Jun 22, 2012
I live in a secular country. Here, when a president assumes the government, do not swear "by God" but "by my honor."
Swear "by my honor" means to put as collateral morality and ethics of the person.
Of course, in both cases either swearing "by God" or "by my honor" who swears can lie or miss commitment ....
I personally think more logical to swear "by my honor" by the following:
1. If he swears is a believer,
a) To swear by God should be offensive to him. Not for a mere mortal swear in the name of god.
b) If swears by "your honor" anyway is committing his honesty.
2. If he swears is an atheist:
a) To swear to god it would be ridiculous.
b) Swearing "for my honor" would swear by the most sacred to an atheist.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Dsage1: 8:30pm On Jun 22, 2012
logicboy01:

1) the question has been answered

2) you werent the one that asked the question in the 1st place. angry

Answered by who? You or who? Firstly, i dont see you as a strong atheist,secondly you dont normally contributed to atheist thread,or are you one of them using new id? I recognised logicboy not logicboy01.

Since the question is directed to atheists,i expect the like of 'Logic mind,kay17,martian and other stronger atheists to share their view.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Zodiac61(m): 8:48pm On Jun 22, 2012
The oath does not really matter, the duty of every witness in court is to tell the truth regardless of what that witness's superstition is.
In my experience, it is those who swear on the bible and the koran who tell the biggest lies in court.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mctemmy(f): 8:54pm On Jun 22, 2012
@barrister no one is attacking anybody's religion or believe..........I asked somtin i needed a broader knowledge about.....going by ur post,I guess u r a lawyer....den u shudnt just jump into conclusions cos u don't knw what brought abt d post......10ks
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mctemmy(f): 8:56pm On Jun 22, 2012
D sage:

Answered by who? You or who? Firstly, i dont see you as a strong atheist,secondly you dont normally contributed to atheist thread,or are you one of them using new id? I recognised logicboy not logicboy01.

Since the question is directed to atheists,i expect the like of 'Logic mind,kay17,martian and other stronger atheists to share their view.
Exactly we need contributions from strong atheist nt baby atheists!!!!!
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Ptolomeus(m): 9:05pm On Jun 22, 2012
D sage:

Who said the question was directed at atheists?
The thread has a question, do not say anything to anyone in particular.
I answered the question, and I'm not an atheist.
(What a character! ...)
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 22, 2012
mctemmy:
Exactly we need contributions from strong atheist nt baby atheists!!!!!
Very brilliant posts from the strong Theists..
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Barristerlaw(m): 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2012
mctemmy: @barrister no one is attacking anybody's religion or believe..........I asked somtin i needed a broader knowledge about.....going by ur post,I guess u r a lawyer....den u shudnt just jump into conclusions cos u don't knw what brought abt d post......10ks
@mctemmy, i dont know that the question is specifically directed at atheists.the question is general which you want a 'general knowledge'.my contribution was based on the fact that the question falls within my jurisction and because some contributors are resulting to name calling.i am not an atheist,i only contribute to the issue as a nigerian who will prefer us to understand our differences and live with love.even though i may disagree with what you say,i will still defend your right to say it.let us join hands in contributing to the world peace.takia and be blessed
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Kay17: 10:16pm On Jun 22, 2012
Barristerlaw says it all. For atheists and religionists who have certain objections to oaths, have the opportunity to affirm. One is asked if he wants to swear or affirm, and both opportunities have equal weights and sanctions.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Dermie: 2:27am On Jun 23, 2012
They simply raise their filthy hands up in the air, to swear.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Emyogalanya: 4:28am On Jun 23, 2012
lipsrsealed wel wts our constitution there for they swear by the constitution now and they say the worst moment in the life of an atheist is whenever he feels gratefull wen he feels he needs to give thanks he turns around lo and behold there is no GOD to which he can say thanks my lord

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Kay17: 6:36am On Jun 23, 2012
Dermie: They simply raise their filthy hands up in the air, to swear.
U regard them aS filth?
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mctemmy(f): 9:41am On Jun 23, 2012
Emyogalanya: lipsrsealed wel wts our constitution there for they swear by the constitution now and they say the worst moment in the life of an atheist is whenever he feels gratefull wen he feels he needs to give thanks he turns around lo and behold there is no GOD to which he can say thanks my lord
And how r dese pics of urs related to the post?huh?............is dat ur aristo?is she for sale or u r her sales agentMTCHweeeeeeEeeeeeeeee!
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Vacora(m): 9:45am On Jun 23, 2012
It's called an oath of affirmation.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by valdubem(m): 11:24am On Jun 23, 2012
They swear with the name of the god of Boko Haramers......
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 23, 2012
They dont swear, simple or they swear with wot they love most or the most sacred thing to them.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 23, 2012
Most atheists in Nigeria are cowards and closet atheist that are found mostly on the internet making noise under unknown monikers.

In the court, they tend to align with the bible and swear by it.

wanna ask me how i know this?
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jun 23, 2012
If in a case apart from marriage, they will be given a GUN to swear with ad for the marriage part I don't know how the swear
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by kcreal(f): 7:14pm On Jun 23, 2012
In the name of their forefathers.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by edicolove: 7:15pm On Jun 23, 2012
Actually atheism is a deception. There is nothing like a non-believer. Everyone believes in something. A man that says he doesn't believe in God is simply saying he is his own god. So in the real sense there is nothing like atheism. You see, these things are coined by the devil to deceive men. That is what was prophesied in the book of revelation. The number 666 is actually talking about a system coming where man will declare that he is his own god. That is what is being spread by hiphop artists around. Hiphop is founded on the principle that man doesn't need god since he is his own god. The biggest deception of the devil is the concept of neutrality. And it is very dangerous. Why? Because neutrality doesn't exist. The universe does not support the concept of neutrality. You must belong somewhere.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Zodiac61(m): 7:27pm On Jun 23, 2012
edicolove: Actually atheism is a deception. There is nothing like a non-believer. Everyone believes in something. A man that says he doesn't believe in God is simply saying he is his own god. So in the real sense there is nothing like atheism. You see, these things are coined by the devil to deceive men. That is what was prophesied in the book of revelation. The number 666 is actually talking about a system coming where man will declare that he is his own god. That is what is being spread by hiphop artists around. Hiphop is founded on the principle that man doesn't need god since he is his own god. The biggest deception of the devil is the concept of neutrality. And it is very dangerous. Why? Because neutrality doesn't exist. The universe does not support the concept of neutrality. You must belong somewhere.
Absolute rubbish.
There is nothing about this post that makes sense.
All you are doing is exposing your ignorance and prejudice.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by TheObserver1: 7:53pm On Jun 23, 2012
As an an Atheist if u are Raelian its a different ball game. I am a Raelian, i believe The Elohim created life on earth, i believe They are coming soon. Please visit www.rael.org. The world, religion, politics and law are all going in d wrong direction. . .
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by kuma007(m): 7:55pm On Jun 23, 2012
@barristerlawyer: well said my learned friend. Just to add that people who are known to be devotee of a particular faith who choose to affirm in court stand the risk of attaching very light weight to their evidence. That is why most of these popular men swear by the scripture and still lie.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Megabyts(m): 7:57pm On Jun 23, 2012
The laws of the land i.e consttotution.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by 9zeros(m): 8:32pm On Jun 23, 2012
The Observer: As an an Atheist if u are Raelian its a different ball game. I am a Raelian, i believe The Elohim created life on earth, i believe They are coming soon. Please visit www.rael.org. The world, religion, politics and law are all going in d wrong direction. . .
raelian? mehn, ur case is worse!

1 Like

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by tayo4me(f): 8:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
They are only required to affirm to tell the truth. This also applies to those whose religions don't permit swearing
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by blackedwin: 8:50pm On Jun 23, 2012
Any true Born again will not swear in court because this is a sin before God

James 5:12 says

New Living Translation
But most of all, my brothers and sisters, never take an oath, by heaven or earth or anything else. Just say a simple yes or no, so that you will not sin and be condemned.

what happens in court is the devils trick to cos Christians to sin against God,But if you have understanding of God's word you will not pick up a bible and swear.
that also is allowed in court.

Any body who claim to be a Christian but goes to court and pick up the bible and swear is not a Christian.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Kay17: 8:51pm On Jun 23, 2012
I retract my earlier posts. Atheists, agnostics, conscientious objectors and maybe deists are exempted from making oaths or affirmation, there testimony is unsworn and might require corroboration.

Sad situation. . .
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by deltaforce7(m): 8:59pm On Jun 23, 2012
They swear by their own name, since they believe only in themselves. mshewwwwwww

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Archbishop Ibezim: Many Talents Decaying Because People Rather Pray Than Work / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches / How Is Christmas Preparations In Your Location?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.