Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering (6782 Views)

Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... / Kogi Guber: Audu Will Return The N11bn He Stole If Elected - APC Chairman / APC Plans Fresh Offensive To Regain Control Of National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by oduasolja: 3:09am On Jun 23, 2012
OF ENGINEERING.
[img]http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2012/feb/images/Ogunnaike_Babatunde-16.jpg[/img]

8:22 a.m., Feb. 10, 2012--A University of Delaware engineering professor noted for his contributions to advances in process systems, process engineering practice and systems engineering education has been elected to the prestigious National Academy of Engineering (NAE).

Babatunde A. Ogunnaike, William L. Friend Chair of Chemical Engineering and interim dean of the College of Engineering, is among the NAE’s 66 new members and 10 foreign associates announced in a press release Feb 9.

Honors Stories

Relay is a winner

UD doctoral student Gubong Lim's energy saving approach to wireless communications using multiple relays wins IEEE best paper award.
Creative thinking
Top honors
Quiet down
Academy membership is among the highest professional distinctions accorded to an engineer, placing Ogunnaike among an elite group of individuals who have made outstanding contributions to engineering research, practice or education. It recognizes scientists who have emerged as pioneers in new and developing fields of technology, made major advancements in traditional fields of engineering or developed innovative approaches to engineering education.

“Tunde’s career has had great impact on industrial practice, as well as on education and research. I am pleased to see him recognized for his scientific contributions and his commitment to educating tomorrow’s leaders,” remarked Mark A. Barteau, senior vice provost for research and strategic initiatives at UD and fellow NAE member.

In particular Barteau noted Ogunnaike’s model-based process control advances, developed during his 13-year research career at DuPont, which today affect a number of commercial processes. Equally, his textbooks have been used to educate and train thousands of engineers in systems control and instrumentation at more than 29 universities.

Ogunnaike is known among his colleagues and students as an outstanding scholar and mentor. He spent many years teaching at UD while with DuPont, before joining the faculty. T.W. Fraser Russell, Allan P. Colburn Professor Emeritus of Chemical Engineering and NAE member, said Ogunnaike is a “valued UD faculty member and leader” known for his capability, both in the classroom and with individual students.

“It is rare to find an individual that has that unique combination of effective industrial experience and academic expertise,” Russell explained.

“I am honored and humbled,” Ogunnaike said of the appointment.

Ogunnaike joins five other College of Engineering faculty and emeritus faculty as members of the NAE. UD’s David L. Mills, emeritus professor of electrical and computer engineering (2008); Mark Barteau, senior vice provost for research and strategic initiatives and Robert L. Pigford Chair in Chemical Engineering (2006); Dominic Di Toro, Edward C. Davis Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering (2005); Stanley Sandler, H.B. du Pont Chair of Chemical Engineering (1996); and T.W. Fraser Russell, Allan P. Colburn Professor Emeritus of Chemical Engineering (1990).

Ogunnaike joined the UD faculty in 2002 as a professor with dual appointments in the Department of Chemical Engineering (now the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering) and the Delaware Biotechnology Institute’s Center for Systems Biology. He was appointed William L. Friend Professor of Chemical Engineering in 2004 until his promotion to William L. Friend Chair in 2008. He was named deputy dean for the College of Engineering in 2010 and interim dean of engineering in 2011.

The author or editor of four books and more than 75 papers and book chapters, Ogunnaike has served as associate editor of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, and he is associate editor of the American Chemical Society's Industrial & Engineering Chemistry.

Ogunnaike earned a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from the University of Lagos in Nigeria in 1976 and a master's degree in statistics and a doctorate in chemical engineering from the University of Wisconsin Madison in 1981.

He has won a number of awards, including the Donald P. Eckman Education Award from ISA, an international organization involved in instrumentation, systems and automation, in 2007. In 2008, he received the American Automatic Control Council's Control Engineering Practice Award. He also has received the College of Engineering's Excellence in Teaching Award.

With the 2012 Class of Members, NAE’s total U.S. membership expands to 2,254 and the number of foreign associates to 206.

The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering plans to honor Ogunnaike with a reception Tuesday, Feb. 14.

Article by Karen B. Roberts

1 Like

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Nobody: 3:19am On Jun 23, 2012
^^^ Such accomplishments is now a normality amongst the Yorubas in diaspora. It's no more news. Now I'm just like "uhm okay, another one".

1 Like

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by ektbear: 3:30am On Jun 23, 2012
That is really cool. Well done, sir.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by fstranger6: 3:48am On Jun 23, 2012
oduasolja: OF ENGINEERING.

With the 2012 Class of Members, NAE’s total U.S. membership expands to 2,254 and the number of foreign associates to 206.

The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering plans to honor Ogunnaike with a reception Tuesday, Feb. 14.

Article by Karen B. Roberts

If everyone gets a trophy and induction, trophies and induction become meaningless. 2,254? Thats like every engineer in the US. Not impressed,
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by ektbear: 4:23am On Jun 23, 2012
There are 2,254 engineers in the USA?
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by ektbear: 4:24am On Jun 23, 2012
In the state of Wyoming, possibly.

But obviously in a nation of 300 million+ people....
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by PhysicsQED(m): 5:25am On Jun 23, 2012
^^^
He probably just posted that to bait somebody into responding so he could insult them.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Onlytruth(m): 5:59am On Jun 23, 2012
PhysicsQED: ^^^
He probably just posted that to bait somebody into responding so he could insult them.

lol, you are so right.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Onlytruth(m): 6:06am On Jun 23, 2012
I have to say one thing; I almost didn't say it because the OP is not known to have a high IQ and may not understand. lol
I will say it anyway. cool

I have always wondered why most accomplished Nigerian engineers don't have any REAL product (eg first or top in the world product model) to their names.
Na paper we go chop for this world?

When are we going to launch our own COMPLETE LOCAL AIRCRAFT OR SPACECRAFT.

When are Nigerian engineers going to build the first BRIDGE or TUNNEL or flyover sef?

I almost invented a very rare electric/electronic product which would have revolutionized power in Nigeria if I continued in that line at UNI. I didn't and I regret it.

Why do all these guys go about with papers while we don't have electricity?
If Barth Nnaji gives us electricity, I will start believing in Nigerian engineers.
The whole black world looks up to Nigeria to develop REAL technological products, to prove that we are not sub-homo sapien. When will that happen? cry Or are we going to continue to celebrate paper? Na wa o. cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Onlytruth(m): 6:14am On Jun 23, 2012
Since we currently have the problem of Boko Haram, why don't Nigerian engineers develop unmanned bomb defusing robot that would aid the security agencies in finding and defusing bombs?
I ask again, na paper we go chop? SMH.

Anyway, I'm out for now. cool
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by lagcity(m): 7:31am On Jun 23, 2012
Onlytruth: I have to say one thing; I almost didn't say it because the OP is not known to have a high IQ and may not understand. lol

I almost invented a very rare electric/electronic product which would have revolutionized power in Nigeria if I continued in that line at UNI. I didn't and I regret it.

grin grin this clown just said he "almost" invented something. NL, if una no see me again, Mr Onlylies don kill me wit lafter oooo. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Lisa1: 8:02am On Jun 23, 2012
Well
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 23, 2012
Onlytruth: I have to say one thing; I almost didn't say it because the OP is not known to have a high IQ and may not understand. lol

I have always wondered why most accomplished Nigerian engineers don't have any REAL product (eg first or top in the world product model) to their names.

When are Nigerian engineers going to build the first BRIDGE or TUNNEL or flyover sef?

If Barth Nnaji gives us electricity, I will start believing in Nigerian engineers.
The whole black world looks up to Nigeria to develop REAL technological products, to prove that we are not sub-homo sapien. When will that happen? cry Or are we going to continue to celebrate paper? Na wa o. cry cry

You're an engineer, get to work.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by ektbear: 8:47am On Jun 23, 2012
PhysicsQED: ^^^

There was very likely an element of baiting there. But also a heavy dose of stvpidity on his part.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Nobody: 11:40am On Jun 23, 2012
The OP didn't make it up.

Including the newest electees, 172 members of MIT’s engineering community have been elected to the NAE. With this week’s announcement, NAE’s total U.S. membership expands to [size=14pt]2,254[/size] and the number of foreign associates to 206.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/five-new-nae-members.html

http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2012/feb/ogunnaike-nae-021012.html

Some people just love to argue for the sake of it. If you think it's wrong, take your empty brains to NAE.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Nobody: 11:40am On Jun 23, 2012
Yoruba lead the way, other follows.

2 Likes

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by BENZINA(m): 11:47am On Jun 23, 2012
But Nigeria is not made of only the yorubas.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Siloko26(m): 11:48am On Jun 23, 2012
arole_odua: Yoruba lead the way, other follows.
shot ur trash and get a life...must u tribalised everything.

2 Likes

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by werepeLeri: 12:08pm On Jun 23, 2012
If he is in Nigeria - he probably will be carrying placards saying - Unilag must stay.

Congrats bro.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by WebsiteDesigner: 12:25pm On Jun 23, 2012
Kudos, Prof.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by blackknight1: 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^^^ Such accomplishments is now a normality amongst the Yorubas in diaspora. It's no more news. Now I'm just like "uhm okay, another one".
i feel like puking..do u really ave 2 traibalize everythin?...for ur information he is first a nigerian, then a yoruba man....u just spoilt dis thread man
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by WebsiteDesigner: 12:27pm On Jun 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
u said u are from Anambra in another post.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by bookface: 12:31pm On Jun 23, 2012

What REAL PRODUCTS was Albert Einstein known to have built?

1 Like

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Acelifted: 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2012
[quote
author=fstranger6]

If everyone gets a trophy and induction, trophies and induction become
meaningless. 2,254? Thats like every engineer in the US. Not
impressed,[/quote]

How can u say America has just about 2,254 engineers?you think America na local govt?
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by CyberG: 1:01pm On Jun 23, 2012
Some silly people here just tribalize everything! Shameless folks! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by psalmizt(m): 1:59pm On Jun 23, 2012

You 've a point there bros. But you must also kno that there's a difference btw academic work and invention. His works 'd ve formed the basis of a whole lot of engineering designs. Like someone stated above, wat invention was Albert Einstein known for? But of course his theories ve lead to design of countless engineering designs.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by psalmizt(m): 2:04pm On Jun 23, 2012
arole_odua: Yoruba lead the way, other follows.
It's ppl like you that ve refused to make Nigeria work. Tribalism is the bane of our society. Look at America or even India. Despite the countless no of tribes that make their population, national allegiance is given priority above ethnicity. It's American 1st before being hispanic or african. We need to work on our sense of patriotism and declaration of being Nigerian 1st before and any other affiliation.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by logica(m): 3:02pm On Jun 23, 2012
bookface:

What REAL PRODUCTS was Albert Einstein known to have built?
Albert Einstein was a THEORETICIAN not an ENGINEER. But even then his theories were tested and proven using real life experiments especially by Arthur Eddington; and of course put to use in building the Atomic Bomb.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by gokuu(m): 3:18pm On Jun 23, 2012
Good! another UNILAG product setting the pace, Greatest Akokite!
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Onlytruth(m): 3:18pm On Jun 23, 2012
logica: Albert Einstein was a THEORETICIAN not an ENGINEER. But even then his theories were tested and proven using real life experiments especially by Arthur Eddington; and of course put to use in building the Atomic Bomb.

Thank you my brother. I know that few folks will understand the point I'm trying to make.
Re: Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering by Onlytruth(m): 3:26pm On Jun 23, 2012
psalmizt:
You 've a point there bros. But you must also kno that there's a difference btw academic work and invention. His works 'd ve formed the basis of a whole lot of engineering designs. Like someone stated above, wat invention was Albert Einstein known for? But of course his theories ve lead to design of countless engineering designs.

Like the one that makes Nigeria the first or only country to have a fully automated submarine capable of going round the world without any crew? or an unmanned spacecraft capable of acting as satellite and space platform all in one? undecided undecided undecided

Nna, I respect Innoson more than these paper engineers. I am an Igbo man. You need to show me HOW AND WHERE the engineer has put Nigeria on the world of scientific and engineering. Right now, a Ghanaian respect me more because of Innoson (stuff he and other subsaharan African countries don't have, yet) than any Nigerian engineer.
Until I start seeing Nigeria do things engineering-wise just like I see Nigerian architects designing buildings that get built, I won't respect these guys honestly.

Give me an illiterate Nigerian who would set up a company than makes minesweepers in Nigeria, and I will give him a national honor before I respect any Nigerian engineer. Msheeeeeeeeeeeew.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enough Of Lies, Propaganda, Outright Falsehood, Ajimobi’s Aides Warn Makinde / We Can’t Bequeath Chaos, Disunity To Future Generation – Abdulsalami / EndSARS: Lagos To Release White Paper On Panel Report Today – Sanwo-Olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.