Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,943 members, 7,828,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Understanding Religious Delusion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding Religious Delusion (5570 Views)

Understanding Religious Preaching Bill - El-rufal Writes Nigerians / PROOF: Understanding Religious Delusion / Understanding Religious Delusions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by OlaAjia(m): 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2012
frosbel:

I had this argument with your partners in delusion last year , it wasted my precious time, will not repeat the same back and forth cycle here.

Suffice me to say that atheists are very competent at being wrong with their nothingness fallacies.

I take exception to you referring to me as delusional. I don't know why you'd make such a comment despite not having met me before. To be quite frank, I am utterly dismayed that such a comment is coming from you, even as you claim to be a Christian with good virtues.

I apologise for attempting to engage in a fruitful discussion with you. Thanks for the ad-hominem attack and my best wishes!

2 Likes

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 27, 2012
OlaAjia:

I take exception to you referring to me as delusional. I don't know why you'd make such a comment despite not having met me before. To be quite frank, I am utterly dismayed that such a comment is coming from you, even as you claim to be a Christian with good virtues.

I apologise for attempting to engage in a fruitful discussion with you. Thanks for the ad-hominem attack and my best wishes!

It was not meant to sound like an insult.

I used it with the following meaning : A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

If you took this as an insult , my apologies.

But I do not wish to engage atheists this year in any fruitless discussions.

Good day.
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by cyrexx: 8:40pm On Jun 27, 2012
frosbel:

Good day.

And nobody is interested in any fruitless discussions with a religiously close minded fellow who believed his own version of fairy tales is a "superior evidence".

its just not worth it.

Good day

1 Like

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Jamji: 5:31am On Jun 28, 2012
frosbel:

Which includes atheism , the belief in nothingness !!

Why African atheists keep following the white man's 'religion' of atheism is beyond me.

Stick to your African tradition of worshipping idols and sacrificing children grin
calling atheism white man religion is not intelligent at all. calling it a religion is so lame. Are you sure you have the right education?
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by OlaAjia(m): 6:57am On Jun 28, 2012
frosbel:

I used it with the following meaning : A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Good day.

First of all, allow me to correct you, I am NOT an atheist. I am in fact, a Muslim. I thought I made this adequately clear in my first post. If you had read it properly, this misunderstanding wouldn't have occurred.

Secondly, I know the definition of 'delusion' and I still maintain that you have no reason to call me that since you've never engaged with me, talk less of knowing me. I am not disappointed that you insulted me, even though the context in which you used the word -"your partners in delusion"- was connotative of an insult, rather, I am disappointed that you jumped into a baseless conclusion about me. Is it not in your religion not to judge people too?

I had hoped we might both be able to reason things out logically, but it is clear this doesn't interest you so good day to you too.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by logicboy01: 9:36am On Jun 28, 2012
Frosbel being pwned and refuted

This is good grin grin grin grin
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by PastorAIO: 11:06am On Jun 28, 2012
OlaAjia:

I had hoped we might both be able to reason things out logically, but it is clear this doesn't interest you so good day to you too.

There is no such thing as reasoning things out logically in this Religion section of Nairaland. It is always awful to have your hopes dashed but the sooner we wake up to the reality on the ground then the sooner we are no longer living in 'delusion', cos that would be the delusion if there was any delusion at all.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by OlaAjia(m): 12:41pm On Jun 28, 2012
Pastor AIO:

There is no such thing as reasoning things out logically in this Religion section of Nairaland. It is always awful to have your hopes dashed but the sooner we wake up to the reality on the ground then the sooner we are no longer living in 'delusion', cos that would be the delusion if there was any delusion at all.

If it is indeed, as you put it @Pastor AIO, then I am afraid that there is little or no hope for this our beloved country. I say this because religion plays such a massive role in this country, that it is the only thing that has the potential of being exploited to destroy (or even fix) the country.
If there isn't any hope of making sense of religion, that is, if people cannot come to accept that religion cannot be, and should therefore not be rationalised (logically), then they might be prepared to go to any extent on behalf of their respective religions; including the rationalisation of mass murder, genocides and other immoral acts. This probably explains the self-destructive nature of the Boko-Harams as well as the professed pacifists unfortunately!

More importantly, if we continue to wallow in this voluntary ignorance that makes people believe that just by virtue of being a Muslim/Christian/Jew/Hindu, they are better off, then we shall never be able to attain true development. What we will have instead is a largely docile population that would only cheer a National Assembly that sanctimoniously prioritises the outlawing of homosexuality over the strengthening of laws that would effectively deal with corruption, child abuses, oil bunkering, humanright abuses by security forces, essential emergency service responses, and the list goes on.

Finally, I think this is very telling on our willingness (or lack of), despite our proven individual intelligence, to engage with ideas as opposed to personalities. In other words, we find it easy to dismiss people's arguments just because of what (or who) they are associated with, and not because the argument is necessarily false.

I find your truth a very bitter pill to swallow and I am confused as to the way forward. sad sad Maybe you can advise me?

3 Likes

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 28, 2012
OlaAjia:

If it is indeed, as you put it @Pastor AIO, then I am afraid that there is little or no hope for this our beloved country. [b]I say this because religion plays such a massive role in this country, that it is the only thing that has the potential of being exploited to destroy (or even fix) the country.
If there isn't any hope of making sense of religion, that is, if people cannot come to accept that religion cannot be, and should therefore not be rationalised (logically), then they might be prepared to go to any extent on behalf of their respective religions; including the rationalisation of mass murder, genocides and other immoral acts. This probably explains the self-destructive nature of the Boko-Harams as well as the professed pacifists unfortunately!

More importantly, if we continue to wallow in this voluntary ignorance that makes people believe that just by virtue of being a Muslim/Christian/Jew/Hindu, they are better off, then we shall never be able to attain true development. What we will have instead is a largely docile population that would only cheer a National Assembly that sanctimoniously prioritises the outlawing of homosexuality over the strengthening of laws that would effectively deal with corruption, child abuses, oil bunkering, humanright abuses by security forces, essential emergency service responses, and the list goes on.

Finally, I think this is very telling on our willingness (or lack of), despite our proven individual intelligence, to engage with ideas as opposed to personalities. In other words, we find it easy to dismiss people's arguments just because of what (or who) they are associated with, and not because the argument is necessarily false.
[/b]
I find your truth a very bitter pill to swallow and I am confused as to the way forward. sad sad Maybe you can advise me?
Well put... way forward? hmmm....
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by cyrexx: 1:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
@ Ola Ajia

first of all i must express my appreciation for your objectivity. i understand that religious practice gives no allowance for any thoughts that run contrary to its beliefs system, you must be a bold and honest individual to say what you are now saying as a muslim. big kudos to you.

now, on the way forward that you suggested, i believe it is proper education and enlightenment and we all have a part to contribute. while i am not advocating that everybody should be an atheist like me, i would advocate people should just see their religion objectively for what it is, which is my primary reason for this post. you have begin to do this. if every christian and every muslim in nigeria will reason like you are doing now, we will have les and less of religious problem and exploitation in our nation. religion should not be a matter of life and death when people fully understand the basis for it in the first place.

i believe the boko haram menace, for instance, can only be solved by proper enlightenment, starting from their leaders down to every religious practitioner in the north. i believe if everyone sees religion for what it truly is,our nation will develop like other countries who did not allow religion to tie them down to barbaric mentalities.

thats just my humble opinion. other views are welcome.

thanks

2 Likes

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by PastorAIO: 2:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
OlaAjia:

I myself came very reluctantly to this conclusion after engaging with NL threads, studying history, and looking deep within myself and at others around me.

Alas I have no advice for you. I suspect that we are on the cusp of period of great turbulence in human history. The combination of the internet (think of the effect of the printing press in Europe), the rise of recalcitrant fundamentalism in many religions, the exhaustion of many of earth's resources, The strain on the global financial system, and other factors all point towards military conflicts. I still have a shadow of a hope that I will be wrong, but my cold logical eyes says that this is what will be the case.

What will emerge out of the period of turbulence is anybody's guess.
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by logicboy01: 2:27pm On Jun 28, 2012
Pastor AIO:

I myself came very reluctantly to this conclusion after engaging with NL threads, studying history, and looking deep within myself and at others around me.

Alas I have no advice for you. I suspect that we are on the cusp of period of great turbulence in human history. The combination of the internet (think of the effect of the printing press in Europe), the rise of recalcitrant fundamentalism in many religions, the exhaustion of many of earth's resources, The strain on the global financial system, and other factors all point towards military conflicts. I still have a shadow of a hope that I will be wrong, but my cold logical eyes says that this is what will be the case.

What will emerge out of the period of turbulence is anybody's guess.

PastorAIO, I must apologise for the first impression and meeting I had with you. I was a bit arrogant and thought that you were probably one of those fraudulent preachers here on Nairaland. I have however, learnt a great deal from your posts. Thank you very much.

Concerning the issue of the mass delusion in religion, conflict and human future, I believe that there is still hope. My trip to the country of Malta gave me hope. These people do not care about wars or controlling other people. The maltese people are very calm and love to mind their own business. It is a sleepy island for 8 months but busy in the summer with tourists.

Although I saw firsthand racism at the airport when I got there (white on black), most people in Malta are just relaxed. There is no police on the streets and everybody minds their own business and are extra helpful if you ask for help. Lagos is 10 times more beautiful than Malta which but the people of malta and the peaceful atmosphere is what makes it nice. Once the common man can feed his family, house his family, provide healthcare for his family and send them to school, a country is at peace. People can do what they want. I coe from a fishing village in Nigeria but I have never seen happier fishermen in my life than the ones I have seen in Malta. Malta has a lot of christians but you would only know by statistics, you dont see people attending churches or acting fundamentalist about.

The point that I am trying to make is that humans can achieve peace and continuous development and we have evidence for it. However, there are certain conditions that have to be met;

-Secularism and freedom
-Educated masses
-Self sustaining nation that can provide resources for all citizens. The common man being able to feed his family

Many European countries have secularism and high levels of literacy but why are they not as peaceful as Malta? Some of the Eastern European countries have seriously poor underclass and crime always follows that. Furthermore, some countries are not self sustaining, they dont focus on the needs of the common man even though the resources are there. When you put the resources in the hand of select few to greedily keep, the results are disastrous. Bankers destroying economies with public money and people's houses (mortagage).

There is hope if leaders are willing to meet certain conditions. Greed and religion is whatb is holding us back
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by thehomer: 2:31pm On Jun 28, 2012
OlaAjia:

Frosbel,
First of all, be assured that I am a religionist, a Muslim to be precise, so I have no ulterior motivation in saying what I'm saying except that it is associated with truth and objectivity! Here's my honest attempt at being objective:

If by God you're referring to a creator, initiator or cause of existence, then you are by all means, justified in your belief using mere logical extrapolation. However, to believe that this creator is the God described in the Bible or the Qur'an or any other holy book for that matter, is a massive leap of faith; for there exists no objective way to prove that indeed, the God you know is The one true God.

Atheism is not a religion as you imply, far from! It is in fact, the absence of any belief system, which means that as an atheist, you are not obliged to believe in anything to be regarded as one. In light of this, you can, if you like, believe in the existence of a creator (by logical extrapolation) and still be an atheist, you may or may not believe in the big bang theory, you may or may not even believe in the theory of evolution. Atheism is, if you please, informed by a lack of conviction that even if there is a personal creator, there is an objective way to show that he needs us to please him, worship him or fear him. Furthermore, the fact that we have no material contact with him prevents us from knowing if truly, he is perfect, kind, good and so on. So to be fair, an informed atheist does have a rational basis not to believe in any belief system.
One error you've made is regarding your argument that the theory of evolution is patronising to the Negro's intelligence. This assertion is very incorrect. In fact, the theory of evolution asserts the contrary. To be clear, we are all primates, but the theory of evolution associates homo sapiens as being a single species, characterised only by differences brought about through adaptation to diverse environments. This is a very plausible theory without any religious bias or prejudice.

While logical extrapolation (not necessarily correct) can be used to deduce the existence of a creator, truth be told, it is far easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for you to be able to prove with objectivity, that there is doubtlessly a God whose character is as the one described in the Bible, Quran, Torah, Bhagavad Gita or other religious texts.

Since you believe so strongly in objectivity and logical reasoning, why are you a Muslim?
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by thehomer: 2:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
frosbel:

Good day.

If you agree with that definition of a delusion, then please tell me, why are you a Christian?
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by logicboy01: 2:33pm On Jun 28, 2012
thehomer:

Since you believe so strongly in objectivity and logical reasoning, why are you a Muslim?

I also wonder
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by PastorAIO: 2:56pm On Jun 28, 2012
logicboy01:

PastorAIO, I must apologise for the first impression and meeting I had with you. I was a bit arrogant and thought that you were probably one of those fraudulent preachers here on Nairaland. I have however, learnt a great deal from your posts. Thank you very much.

My brother, Apology accepted. It was no biggie anyway. I have to get on with the rest of my day as I'm a bit behind schedule but i'll return to address the points you raised in the rest of your post.

Taykiah!!
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by DeepSight(m): 5:17pm On Jun 28, 2012
cyrexx: Let's imagine that I tell you the following story:
• There is a man who lives at the North Pole.
• He lives there with his wife and a bunch of elves.
• During the year, he and the elves build toys.
• Then, on Christmas Eve, he loads up a sack with all the toys.
• He puts the sack in his sleigh.
• He hitches up eight (or possibly nine) flying reindeer.
• He then flies from house to house, landing on the rooftops of each one.
• He gets out with his sack and climbs down the chimney.
• He leaves toys for the children of the household.
• He climbs back up the chimney, gets back in his sleigh, and flies to the next house.
• He does this all around the world in one night.
• Then he flies back to the North Pole to repeat the cycle next year.
This, of course, is the story of Santa Claus, also known as Father Christmas.

But let's say that I am an adult, and I am your friend, and I reveal to you that I believe that this story is true. I believe it with all my heart. And I try to talk about it with you and convert you to believe it as I do.
What would you think of me? You would think that I am delusional, and rightly so.

Why do you think that I am delusional? It is because you know that Santa is imaginary. The story is a total fairy tale. No matter how much I talk to you about Santa, you are not going to believe that Santa is real. Flying reindeer, for example, are make-believe. The dictionary defines delusion as, "A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence." That definition fits perfectly

Now let me show you another example...

Another example
Imagine that I tell you this story:
• A man was sitting in a cave minding his own business.
• A very bright flash of light appeared.
• A voice spoke out one word: "Read!" The man felt like he was being squeezed to death. This happened several times.
• Then the man asked, "What should I read?"
• The voice said, "Read in the name of your Lord who created humans from a clinging [zygote]. Read for your Lord is the most generous. He taught people by the pen what they didn't know before."
• The man ran home to his wife.
• While running home, he saw the huge face of an angel in the sky. The angel told the man that he was to be the messenger of God. The angel also identified himself as Gabriel.
• At home that night, the angel appeared to the man in his dreams.
• Gabriel appeared to the man over and over again. Sometimes it was in dreams, sometimes during the day as "revelations in his heart," sometimes preceded by a painful ringing in his ears (and then the verses would flow from Gabriel right out of the man), and sometimes Gabriel would appear in the flesh and speak. Scribes wrote down everything the man said.
• Then, one night about 11 years after the first encounter with Gabriel, Gabriel appeared to the man with a magical horse. The man got on the horse, and the horse took him to Jerusalem. Then the winged horse took the man up to the seven layers of heaven. The man was able to actually see heaven and meet and talk with people there. Then Gabriel brought the man back to earth.
• The man proved that he had actually been to Jerusalem on the winged horse by accurately answering questions about buildings and landmarks there.
• The man continued receiving the revelations from Gabriel for 23 years, and then they stopped. All of the revelations were recorded by the scribes in a book which we still have today.

What do you make of this story? If you have never heard the story before, you may find it to be nonsensical. The dreams, the horse, the angel, the ascension, and the appearances of the angel in the flesh -- you would dismiss them all because it is all imaginary.

But you need to be careful. This story is the foundation of the Muslim religion, practiced by more than a billion people around the world. The man is named Mohammed, and the book is the Koran (also spelled Qur'an or Qur'aan). This is the sacred story of the Koran's creation and the revelation of Allah to mankind.

Despite the fact that a billion Muslims profess some level of belief in this story, people outside the Muslim faith consider the story to be imaginary. No one believes this story because this story is a fairy tale. They consider the Koran to be a book written by a man and nothing more. A winged horse that flew to heaven? That is imaginary -- as imaginary as flying reindeer.

If you are a Christian, please take a moment right now to look back at the Muslim stories. Why is it so easy for you to look at these stories and see that they are imaginary fairy tales? How do you know, with complete certainty, that Muslims are delusional? You know these things for the same reason you know that Santa is imaginary. There is no evidence for any of it. The stories involve magical things like angels and winged horses, hallucinations, dreams. Horses cannot fly -- we all know that. And even if they could, where would the horse fly to? The vacuum of space? Or is the horse somehow "dematerialized" and then "rematerialized" in heaven? If so, those processes are made up too. Every bit of it is imaginary. We all know that.

An unbiased observer can see how imaginary these three stories are. In addition, [size=13pt]Muslims can see that Christians are delusional, and Christians can see that Muslims are delusional. While atheists can see that both of them are delusional[/size]

One final example
Now let me tell you one final story:
• God inseminated a virgin named Mary, in order to bring his son incarnate into our world.
• Mary and her fiancé, Joseph, had to travel to Bethlehem to register for the census. There Mary gave birth to the Son of God.
• God put a star in the sky to guide people to the baby.
• In a dream God told Joseph to take his family to Egypt. Then God stood by and watched as Herod killed thousands and thousands of babies in Israel in an attempt to kill Jesus.
• As a man, God's son claimed that he was God incarnate: "I am the way, the truth and the life," he said.
• This man performed many miracles. He healed lots of sick people. He turned water into wine. These miracles prove that he is God.
• But he was eventually given the death sentence and killed by crucifixion.
• His body was placed in a tomb.
• But three days later, the tomb was empty.
• And the man, alive once again but still with his wounds (so anyone who doubted could see them and touch them), appeared to many people in many places.
• Then he ascended into heaven and now sits at the right hand of God the father almighty, never to be seen again.
• Today you can have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus. You can pray to this man and he will answer your prayers. He will cure your diseases, rescue you from emergencies, help you make important business and family decisions, comfort you in times of worry and grief, etc.
• This man will also give you eternal life, and if you are good he has a place for you in heaven after you die.
• The reason we know all this is because, after the man died, four people named Matthew, Mark, Luke and John wrote accounts of the man's life. Their written attestations are proof of the veracity of this story.

This, of course, is the story of Jesus. Do you believe this story? If you are a Christian, you probably do. I could ask you questions for hours and you will have answers for every one of them. You cannot understand how anyone could question any of it, because it is so obvious to you.

Here is the thing that I would like to help you understand: The four billion people who are not Christians look at the Christian story in exactly the same way that you look at the Santa story and the Muslim story. In other words, there are four billion people who stand outside of the Christian bubble, and they can see reality clearly. The fact is that the Christian story is completely imaginary.

How do the four billion non-Christians know, with complete certainty, that the Christian story is imaginary? Because the Christian story is just like the Santa story and the Muslim story. There is the magical insemination, the magical star, the magical dreams, the magical miracles, the magical resurrection, the magical ascension and so on.

People outside the Christian faith look at the Christian story and note these facts:
1. The miracles are supposed to "prove" that Jesus is God, but, predictably, these miracles left behind no tangible evidence for us to examine and scientifically verify today. They all involved faith healings and magic tricks

2. Jesus is resurrected, but, predictably, he does not appear to anyone today.

3. Jesus ascended into heaven and answers our prayers, but, predictably, when we pray to him nothing happens. We can statistically analyse prayer and find that prayers are never answered

4. The book where Matthew, Mark, Luke and John make their attestations does exist, but, predictably, it is full of contradictions

5. And so on.

In other words, the Christian story is a fairly tale, just like the other two examples we have examined.

Now, look at what is happening inside your mind at this moment. I am using solid, verifiable evidence to show you that the Christian story is imaginary. Your rational mind can see the evidence. Four billion non-Christians would be happy to confirm for you that the Christian story is imaginary. However, if you are a practicing Christian, you can probably feel your "religious mind" overriding both your rational mind and your common sense as we speak.

Why? Why were you able to use your common sense to so easily reject the Santa story and the Muslim story, but when it comes to the Christian story, which is just as imaginary, you are not?

Try, just for a moment, to look at Christianity with the same amount of healthy skepticism that you used when approaching the stories of Santa and Mohammed. Use your common sense to ask some very simple questions of yourself:

No one (besides little kids) believes in Santa Claus. No one outside the Muslim faith believes the story of Mohammed and Gabriel and the winged horse. No one outside the Christian faith believes in Jesus' divinity, miracles, resurrection, etc.

Therefore, the question I would ask you to consider right now is simple: Why is it that human beings can detect fairy tales with complete certainty when those fairy tales come from other faiths, but they cannot detect the fairy tales that underpin their own faith? Why do they believe their chosen fairy tale with unrelenting passion and reject the others as nonsense?

For example:
• Christians know that when the Egyptians built gigantic pyramids and mummified the bodies of their pharaohs, that it was a total waste of time -- otherwise Christians would build pyramids.
• Christians know that when the Aztecs carved the heart out of a virgin and ate it, that it accomplished nothing -- otherwise Christians would kill virgins.
• Christians know that when Muslims face Mecca to pray, that it is pointless -- otherwise Christians would face Mecca when they pray.

Yet, when Christians look at their own religion, they are for some reason blind. Why? And no, it has nothing to do with the fact that the Christian story is true. Your rational mind knows that with certainty, and so do four billion others.

I JUST LOOOOOVE THIS WRITE-UP!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ON POINT!

AND FABULOUSLY DELIVERED.

OYA, NA TO RUN GO USE AM CHASE MY PENTECOSTAL SIBLINGS.

Cyrex, did you write it yourself or is it culled?
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by DeepSight(m): 5:21pm On Jun 28, 2012
logicboy01:

Nice! I hate to say this, but I TOLD YOU SO!
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by DeepSight(m): 5:24pm On Jun 28, 2012
OlaAjia:

If it is indeed, as you put it @Pastor AIO, then I am afraid that there is little or no hope for this our beloved country. I say this because religion plays such a massive role in this country, that it is the only thing that has the potential of being exploited to destroy (or even fix) the country.

Ola Aija, you come across as both very decent and also level headed.

I would be interested in your specific take on this portion of the OP -

Why is it that human beings can detect fairy tales with complete certainty when those fairy tales come from other faiths, but they cannot detect the fairy tales that underpin their own faith? Why do they believe their chosen fairy tale with unrelenting passion and reject the others as nonsense?

Please, thanks.
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by logicboy01: 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

Nice! I hate to say this, but I TOLD YOU SO!

Yes, you just had to rub it in! grin

No worries, at least we are getting to understand one another.
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Purist(m): 6:23pm On Jun 28, 2012
I just dropped by to say that OlaAjia is the most objective (and possibly the most intelligent) Muslim I've ever come across.

(I remember his posts and e-battles with the likes of babyosisi, davidylan, TayoD, 4get_me, etc from back in the day.)

Oh and by the way, that was an excellent piece by Cyrexx.
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Dipwater(m): 6:23pm On Jun 28, 2012
I read ur post evri day and it makes me laugh. Very interesting cyrexx
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

OYA, NA TO RUN GO USE AM CHASE MY PENTECOSTAL SIBLINGS.
Cyrex, did you write it yourself or is it culled?

Here's where it's from.
http://godisimaginary.com/i7.htm

I'm surprised you like this argument because it can be used against you by your pentecostal siblings. If you call theirs nonsense, they can use the same eact format to call your beliefs about god nonsense......I'm talking about unembodied brains and self existing things.

Why do they believe their chosen fairy tale with unrelenting passion and reject the others as nonsense?

1 Like

Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Enigma(m): 6:43pm On Jun 28, 2012
^^^ Quelle surprise?

I thought it was all too obvious that an "atheist etc etc etc version" could be so easily drawn up!

cool
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 28, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ Quelle surprise?

I thought it was all too obvious that an "atheist etc etc etc version" could be so easily drawn up!
cool

But an atheist did write it, the guy just didn't provide the source. you get excited over every thing you deem an atheist's mistake or dishonesty. lol...I smell desperation. Don't you have some evangelical atheists to rail against?
coolWhy do they believe their chosen fairy tale with unrelenting passion and reject the others as nonsense? cool
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
Surprised (or maybe not) that image123, goshen360, buzugee, frosbel among others have dodged this thread like its a boko haram bomb....
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Enigma(m): 7:00pm On Jun 28, 2012
Martian:

But an atheist did write it, the guy just didn't provide the source. you get excited over every thing you deem an atheist's mistake or dishonesty. lol...I smell desperation. Don't you have some evangelical atheists to rail against?
coolWhy do they believe their chosen fairy tale with unrelenting passion and reject the others as nonsense? cool

You have misunderstood my point - naturally. smiley

Well . . . . never mind.

Do all carry on please.

cool
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
Enigma:

You have misunderstood my point - naturally. smiley

Well . . . . never mind.

Do all carry on please.
cool

You just wanted to insult him by implying that he probably stole it. Douchebag.
Please carry on . lol
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by logicboy01: 7:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
musKeeto: Surprised (or maybe not) that image123, goshen360, buzugee, frosbel among others have dodged this thread like its a boko haram bomb....

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 28, 2012
logicboy01:
grin grin grin grin grin

What would they write apart from Psalm 14:1 and "The bible says the bible is true". lol
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 28, 2012
Martian:

What would they write apart from Psalm 14:1 and "The bible says the bible is true". lol
not even the non-christian bible-believing buzugee can serve up his 'unique' interpretations on this one....
sad in a way...
Re: Understanding Religious Delusion by logicboy01: 7:12pm On Jun 28, 2012
Martian:

ahahaha.

To be honest, some few of them reading this will have doubts about their religion but they would be to arrogant to admit it. Frosbel is probably dying inside

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can A Christian Do Plastic Surgery For Beauty Enhancement? / Why Would God Fill The Oceans With Water We Can't Drink? / Christian Genocide: Islamic State Beheading Christian Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.