Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,192 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Racial Discrimination In Dubai - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Racial Discrimination In Dubai (24756 Views)

Nigerian Man Under Trial In Dubai For Beating Up An Indian / Racial Discrimination In India Toward Blacks / Where Can I Buy Gold In Dubai? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by emirati1: 4:54pm On Jun 23, 2012
gbokukueba: @emirati1

Since you live here then you know that the IDs were recently issued, i was a bit concerned when they started running checks on me... Another thing is properly because the part of town i stay as most black people stay in Deira.

The Id thing has been going on since last year and the govt had to give pple more time to get it,they intend to use this id for increased security,as all ur details would be implanted into this id,but a lot of Nigerians have refused to get it,due to the Nigerian factor,and fines would start at the end of this month for those who dont have;so its normal for policemen to start asking for ids now,wait are u male or female?
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 23, 2012
Well if you hate racism so much, then do something about the root cause. Why don't you fix your homeland? And i am not attacking you in any way, but its the reality! we keep crying racism...but we deserve what we get! Its not because of the color of your skin, but because of the negative association with the color of your skin which is not unfounded. All you have to do is look at any BLACK nation in this world. Enough said....racism is something BLACKS will always deal with as long as we don't fix our nations and get on the band wagon of civilization!

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Mrchippychappy(m): 5:04pm On Jun 23, 2012
its not a new story ! The arabs still use derogatory terms when referring to black people. There is racism worldwide but in the arab world racism is extreme ! I know people who came back from Mecca and complained about how the arabs treated them.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by BabaOlowo: 5:08pm On Jun 23, 2012
My Brother, there is no place like home. Come to Gidi, even if u take Billion Naira Bribe, heaven will not fall, it will be swept under the Carpet in no time.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 5:11pm On Jun 23, 2012
@ Nanidee, well my female colleague was questioned routinely when she was coming here last month she had to go over her story like 10 times despite having Company sponsored work visa.
@ Engineerd, so it is because my homeland is not fixed that is why am been targeted? lipsrsealed So how will you describe Black Americans that faced racial discrimination in the US in the past?
@ emirati1, i be guy jare.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Reference(m): 5:23pm On Jun 23, 2012
illitrate: the op is 100% right. i ve been in dubai for 4 years now
and i can swear that is true. i happen to be a cluber and trhey always
harrass blacks. there was a time they were searching for a single black
guy, they decided to arrest anything black and take to their station.
am just happy bcus i know alot of them now.

Believe me we have more than 20, 000 ibo guys here living illegal even yoruba.
many my friends.

So, with this disclosure what is the problem.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by blackeli: 5:24pm On Jun 23, 2012
You are not entirely correct in saying the Arabs are racist. You probably dress overly casual to be taken serious. I have lived here, for 5 years, did my masters degree here, lived in Ajman till I could afford an apartment in Dubai, mused the public transport, and the metro when it came on board, and eventually got a divers license. Not ONCE have I ever been stopped, asked for an ID, in all my 5 years.
I had a reason to go to jabel Ali police station 3 months ago, and they where very polite.

Besides a lot of Nigerians are doing drugs, committing commiting fraud in diera. In 2008 every other day, there was always a story of one act of crime in gulf news, and the Nationality was often Nigerian. If it was you, you would want to secure your country.

On the other hand when you respect the law, and behave properly, they treat you with respect.

2 Likes

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by dnative(m): 5:25pm On Jun 23, 2012
texazzpete:

Well, when you folks were busy pushing songs like 'Maga Don Pay', 'yahoo zee' and 'I go chop your dollar' to the top of Nigerian charts, you didn't think it'd come round to bit you in the backside one day abi?

They were not being racist...all the were doing was intelligent stereotyping. when black Nigerians are frequently the most fervent illegal immigrants, why will they not pull out a scruffy looking Nigerian for further checks?

look just grin and bear it. A few weeks after the Mutallab incident I was traveling through Heathrow and I was pulled aside for a 'routine' check. I understood immediately; i fit the bill of a young, Nigerian male traveling alone and with light luggage...just like mutallab. While they were scanning my fingers for bomb residue all I did was to tell the woman with dignity that I must be restored to the head of the line to make up for this...she readily agreed of course. After 2 minutes they put me back in front of the line!

Handle situations like these with dignity and calmness...many Nigerians are quick to pull the 'racism' card at the slightest thing which usually isn't good for anyone. I know someone who started screaming 'racism' when a shopkeeper was scanning his 50 pound note. The idiot no know say dem go do that for anyone who hands in such a large note.

I get that all the time and my usual response is to stay calmly and watch, take one of the notes i'm given as change, gently raise it up and scan it for about 10 seconds whilst holding up the queue grin
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Slizbeat(m): 5:27pm On Jun 23, 2012
Dont mind them sha, they r always lyk that. The day ma mum's hotel receipt was deep down inside her bag, she was kept there for more an hour while her passport was ceased all at the point of checkout. They had their register buh refused to check it while other whites checking out didnt even bring any receipt. After that eh, if u c shout wey blacks wey dy dia gv the receptionist eh, u go cry 4 her.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 5:37pm On Jun 23, 2012
blackeli: You are not entirely correct in saying the Arabs are racist. You probably dress overly casual to be taken serious. I have lived here, for 5 years, did my masters degree here, lived in Ajman till I could afford an apartment in Dubai, mused the public transport, and the metro when it came on board, and eventually got a divers license. Not ONCE have I ever been stopped, asked for an ID, in all my 5 years.
I had a reason to go to jabel Ali police station 3 months ago, and they where very polite.

Besides a lot of Nigerians are doing drugs, committing commiting fraud in diera. In 2008 every other day, there was always a story of one act of crime in gulf news, and the Nationality was often Nigerian. If it was you, you would want to secure your country.

On the other hand when you respect the law, and behave properly, they treat you with respect.

Bro i have no reason to doubt you since you have been here for long. My point is that they didn't stop me because i am Nigerian, they stopped me because am black. I see a lot of white female violate their dressing policy am sure they will not take it from blacks.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by cap28: 6:32pm On Jun 23, 2012
Nothing on this planet will make me go on vacation to an arab country, not after i saw what happened to black africans in Libya during the war there last year. Also my few encounters with arabs in this country has always without fail left a very bad taste in my mouth - these people HATE black african people - i can not emphasise the level of contempt these people have for us, they view all of us as inferiors because their ancestors enslaved our own ancestors, nigerians need to have some self respect and stop going to these countries and exposing themselves to abuse from these animals. They love and respect Europeans but despise africans, going to work or live in a place like Dubai as a black person is simply asking for trouble.

A few years ago i visited Malta and i remember the funny behaviour that i got from a few of the locals there. I went into one particular restaurant and the service seemed to take forever, i also received some strange looks from a few of the maltese people there.

Maltese people are a mixture of arab and european and again exhibit very nasty attitudes towards black africans but love europeans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by AjanleKoko: 6:36pm On Jun 23, 2012
Well . . . everybody discriminates against the black man, so no biggy.
Though Nigerians anywhere are usually a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. By sheer force of numbers, we are always more 'in your face' than other blacks around the world. Stop three black men anywhere on the planet, and one is almost certain to be a Nigerian. Two are very likely to be Nigerians.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by item1: 7:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
Sorry bros,
but you are not even regarded/respected/protected here in your country Nija and you're wanting to be respected outside. One will only be respected/protected outside if your country respect and protect you down home. You can't just do this to an american and their government wil come for you immediately. Bros if they even beat you no one will come for your rescue there. So please just maintain.
Lets join hand and develope our country and others will have regard for us.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by GODBLESSU1: 7:50pm On Jun 23, 2012
Broda, u are not in Dubai, ur statement is nothing but lie, if u don’t have paper they can invite u and check u. i wish to bring to ur notice that some of UAE indigene is black, and also in the police force, They have most black Africans, Somali, Sudan and many more. So calling Dubai racist city is a complete lie. I can’t buy this one bro. Look for somewhere else.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by MrCork17: 8:16pm On Jun 23, 2012
gbokukueba: I have been living in Dubai for about 3 months now and each time i arrive at the Airport am always singled out of the whole travelers for document checks and routine questioning which i have no problem with but just 4 days ago i was at the metro station waiting for a train only to be accosted by some policemen asking if i have the new Emirates ID which came into effect end of last month, i said yes and handed it over to them. They started asking me some stupid questions like where i work what do i do etc, while doing a check on the authenticity of my ID shocked. I kept asking them if there was a problem they said no that they were only doing their job while speaking Arabic and asking when they saw the way i was reacting they now invited me into their office that i should sit down. I told them i was going to call my office that am not comfortable with the way they were delaying me they just kept saying no problem that its just routine and after about 20 mins they said i can leave.

In my short stay here i have not but noticed that there is racial discrimination if you are black unlike white folks. Most of the people that violate the law here are whites and the worst they will do to them is either a fine or deportation but blacks will face the full wrath of Islamic law.

I just cant wait to leave here, don't get me wrong it is a great place to visit but not a nice place to live as a black person.

ermm Gbokuba...Bro it aint racism. The law states that authorities havde the right to stop anybody anyttime they want...so QUIT Moaning. If you have NOTHIN to hide, dont argue, SIMPLY show them yo PAPERS and move on. IT happens everywhere....even here in London. My advise...NEVER TAKE IT PERSONAL COZ RACISM IS HERE TO STay! wink
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by wilxz(m): 9:17pm On Jun 23, 2012
whats all this big deal about racism, at this 21st century. If person racist u, u racist am back. Shooo! U no get mouth. If him call u names call am back. See me see wahala, why all of una dey complain like woman.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by carlos86: 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2012
nanidee: But something that strikes me...why is it always 'black guys' that are treated badly? I have never heard of any 'black girl' being treated in such manner... just saying!

Maybe black girls don't talk about it.I have seen black girls harrassed in Turkey
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by jjking: 10:41pm On Jun 23, 2012
THEY ARE FULL OF RACISM
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by jpcomrade: 10:57pm On Jun 23, 2012
gbokukueba: I have been living in Dubai for about 3 months now and each time i arrive at the Airport am always singled out of the whole travelers for document checks and routine questioning which i have no problem with but just 4 days ago i was at the metro station waiting for a train only to be accosted by some policemen asking if i have the new Emirates ID which came into effect end of last month, i said yes and handed it over to them. They started asking me some stupid questions like where i work what do i do etc, while doing a check on the authenticity of my ID shocked. I kept asking them if there was a problem they said no that they were only doing their job while speaking Arabic and asking when they saw the way i was reacting they now invited me into their office that i should sit down. I told them i was going to call my office that am not comfortable with the way they were delaying me they just kept saying no problem that its just routine and after about 20 mins they said i can leave.

In my short stay here i have not but noticed that there is racial discrimination if you are black unlike white folks. Most of the people that violate the law here are whites and the worst they will do to them is either a fine or deportation but blacks will face the full wrath of Islamic law.

I just cant wait to leave here, don't get me wrong it is a great place to visit but not a nice place to live as a black person.

how did u react (like u said) when u heard them speaking arabic
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by IYANGBALI: 11:11pm On Jun 23, 2012
it is better you stay and struggle with them there than coming here to struggle with BOKO HARAM AND GEJ, WAHALA
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Nobody: 12:14am On Jun 24, 2012
My comment is going to sound bad so here i go: How is it that only the Black man appears to be discriminated against even in his own Country, is this not a sign that there might be something wrong with the Black mans attitude? Is it that we appear inferior or intimidated to other races hence we are singled out for discrimination; or maybe something about our attitude comes across as shady, intimidating or disrespectful? Given the uniformity of the discrimination to all blacks could it be that something in our upbringing is not right? We need to first examine ourselves before we start blaming others
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by mikron(m): 12:38am On Jun 24, 2012
so wetin u go do there nah?
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by kuntama: 1:38am On Jun 24, 2012
Our race is so blind.

Of course racism is rampant in the world. But it is particularly brutal in the arab world.

This is a wonderful forum to share knowledge and start ASKING questions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14507719

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18552155

There are more stories if we want.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by coolzeal(m): 2:44am On Jun 24, 2012
Am not trying to generalize here but as a black man you will definitely face racial discrimination in anywhere in the world but some places are just worst at it. e.g Asia, including Orientals, Arabs and India and some eastern Europe... Be careful when you travel to those places and if you're a white man wow! Asia is heaven for you...
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by amor4ce(m): 5:00am On Jun 24, 2012
Those who have admitted here that they travel to and/or live in Dubai, are they not among the Nigerians who have been engaging in money laundering and fleecing our economy?
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by naijanelly(m): 5:32am On Jun 24, 2012
Nigerians just like complaining mtchewwww I don't see anytin wrong in what the cops did,, ehn if e pain you come back home na
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by jmslimx(m): 7:27am On Jun 24, 2012
First of all it happens anywhere in the world , even in India where they have blacks... Dubai is my second home .. But i have never being stopped once by the police .

Secondly there immigration laws are not favorable like the Europe so many people are deceived that its like Europe , they go there and they keep hiding especially at Dehra , to the guy who said so many ibo boys , it same thing with Yoruba alot of Nigeria boys at Dehra becos of miss information given to them before the leave Nigeria.

3rdly our Politicians have alot of properties in Dubai infact 60% with our stolen Nigeria money , if they have made Nigeria better i dont think anybody would wanna fly out of Nigeria because we have the best weather around the world. but corruption is the tip of the day.

My brother that day wasnt your day , as far as you have black skin or as a black you are holding a American Passport i am sorry is the case if you go into them just let them do there thing... Dubai is lovely place
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by zoomzoom1(m): 9:38am On Jun 24, 2012

Situation like yours is uncommon considering the fact that you are legal in the country, probably not just your lucky day.
I’ve been living in UAE since 2005 and i’m yet to experience such. The only time I had an encounter with the police was last month. I was driving with the phone on my ears and without a seatbelt. An officer pulled me over and his first question was “is this your personal car or company’s car”? I answered ‘personal”. Then he requested for my papers respectfully. While presenting my particulars I told him politely that I had an emergency call thus I forgot to strap my belt. He just shook his head and told me to go back inside my car as the weather is in 40s. He came to me after 3mins and said “Mr…… you have 2 fines (Phone call while driving & Seat belt) but as a kind gesture you can choose one”. So I asked him (with a smile) which has a lesser fine? He also replied with a smile “the seat belt” (AED 200) so I opted for the same.
Now if u ask me, is there racial discrimination in UAE if you are black? My answer is CAPITAL NO. But if you ask me, are Nigerians treated differently when arrested or suspected for crime? My answer is YES. The reasons are obvious. As some people rightly said, they are doing their job. Perhaps they have a tip-off

3 Likes

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by ib0221: 11:23am On Jun 24, 2012
@moremi2008. arab for black is aswad. pls correct that. in case you infer it from an article, slaves in old arab world were not only blacks.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Revolva(m): 11:41am On Jun 24, 2012
gbokukueba: .

I have no problem they doing there jobs but i don't see them doing their job with any white folk...

Well how do you know they don't check white folks its untrue bro they do their job to all pple ok I beg no leave there oo I am dieing to visit Oo naija na hell
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 1:53pm On Jun 24, 2012
GOD_BLESS_U: Broda, u are not in Dubai, ur statement is nothing but lie, if u don’t have paper they can invite u and check u. i wish to bring to ur notice that some of UAE indigene is black, and also in the police force, They have most black Africans, Somali, Sudan and many more. So calling Dubai racist city is a complete lie. I can’t buy this one bro. Look for somewhere else.

You well so? lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun Government Decorates Streets For Christmas (Photos) / After Buhari's Visit, Petrol Tankers, Trucks Return On Lagos Bridge(Pix) / Taxify Addresses Dorcas Shola Fapson's Abduction, Rape Attempt By Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.