Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

The Tragedy Of Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Tragedy Of Atheism (1788 Views)

The Glamour Of Atheism / FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) / The Cowardice Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jun 25, 2012
"Beulah! Peel me a grape!" Who could forget Mae West's famous quip in her second film, "I'm No Angel"? Her ribald lines, superficially innocuous, were delivered in a lazy, mocking elocution that had audiences either loving her bawdiness or up in arms over propriety. The line itself was hilarious because of the visual of Mae telling her black maid to peel the tiny fruit, an effort that was ridiculous but perfect in highlighting her character's gross self-centeredness.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_TbkIC-eqFNM/THkLlkRxVVI/AAAAAAAAGqo/qMviaWI5Joc/s400/romans-dining.jpg[/img]
"Bring me evidence, Beulah! And while you're at it, peel me a grape!"

'God! Peel me a grape!' Is the same attitude atheists exhibit today. Their mental laziness, mocking tone, and orders to bring them some evidence of God and then they'll think about it, only serve to highlight their gross self-centeredness in which they proudly luxuriate.

Imagine if you had a loving husband, your groom, who daily gave you beautiful gifts. Who served you, ministered to you when you were sick. Who told you that could trust completely and said he never would leave you. Where his loving effects on others around him were obvious. And one day, He came up to you and said, "I love you!" and you answered, "PROVE IT! BRING ME EVIDENCE!"

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. (2 Peter 3:3)

Worse, what if your 14-year-old son responded that way? If, there he was, in his well-appointed American bedroom, stuffed with laptop, digital camera, games, comfy bed, with his bank account passbook noting his growing college fund, and the key to the deposit box containing his inheritance. And you walked in one day, bringing him his supper that he wanted to eat in his room, and you lay it down and said, "Honey, I love you!" What if he answered, "PROVE IT! BRING ME EVIDENCE!"

I would think there would be punishments all around. I'd think he would receive a stern talking-to, and a grounding from his fun activities. And yet, our Lord, who has all power, does not respond this way. He patiently accepts mocking, self-centeredness, and constant demands for evidence that He has already provided (in His love and mercy). He has given us the world and we demand more.

Jesus, Lord of the Universe, Who has the worlds as a footstool for His feet, as your loving groom served us. He healed, ministered, told us in a thousand ways that He loves us and wants to be with us forever. He even dispensed with His own glory, and poured Himself into the form of a man, and washed feet, served food, and died for us whom He loves. Jesus still loves His children, all of them. And when you relate this eternal fact to unbelievers, they scream, "PROVE IT! PRODUCE SOME EVIDENCE!"

This selfish attitude should not surprise us. We are told by Paul in 2 Timothy 3:1-5 that "People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them." This is an age of unrestrained revelry and self-indulgence. Humility, diligent searching, and submission are anathema to culture today.

The tragedy of atheism is the hopelessness of the self. People who refuse to believe put their entire stock into their own strength, brain, abilities, and they say that any day now, the world will be better because of their own strength, brain, and abilities. It never will be, because we are sinners. But the proud refuse to accept their own sin as the stain that it is and humble themselves to Him who heals, loves, and saves.

The tragedy is that a whole class of people deliberately shrink their world to the provable and seen. Their world is of the brain, but not the mind. It is of the natural and not the supernatural, of the drearily provable and not the awe-inspiring mysterious. Their world is littered with decaying peeled grapes, while the believer's world is endless, eternal, and perfect. The tragedy is in thinking that peeled grapeskins is all there is to life, when they could have so much more. Even in Apostle Paul's day this attitude of 'serve me' was prevalent: "Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles." (1 Corinthians 22-23)

[img]http://2.bp..com/_TbkIC-eqFNM/THkLwFNeKuI/AAAAAAAAGqw/xh1E0Hbr_Eg/s400/comfort+Romans+in+the+Decadence+of+Empire+couture.jpg[/img]
Is this you? "Bring me evidence! But let me finish indulging in my debaucheries first..."

The tragedy is in the non-believer passively lying on a reclining Roman couch, demanding evidence when the bible says "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. (Psalm 105:4). This is an active command, not a passively receptive one. He even told us how to do it:

"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God." (Proverbs 2:1-5). Again, this verse is full of active verbs, not passive tenses indicating a lolling receptivity.

Atheist, get off your lazy duff and seek His face! He is right in front of you!

How do we accept Jesus? Admit your sin. Yes, we all do wrong things, and we should be sorry for those. Apologize to Jesus and ask Him to be your Savior (saving you from eternal separation from Him) and also your Lord, (humbling yourself and admitting you need Him to lead you in life). Immediately you begin to understand how low you really are in your sin, and how permanently you deserve to be low forever compared to His holiness and glory. However, immediately begins His gifts. Far from your worst fears realized, that this is a permanent abasement, (as it should be) instead in His mercy He will lift you up! He will give you good work! A plan for your life that spiritually you intuit as better than the one you created for yourself! Talents and abilities to accomplish this work! A guarantee of your place in heaven and an inheritance of eternal life! It is within your reach, non-believer. But first, you have to get off the couch.

Source
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Ptolomeus(m): 9:36pm On Jun 25, 2012
frosbel:
'God! Peel me a grape!' Is the same attitude atheists exhibit today. Their mental laziness, mocking tone, and orders to bring them some evidence of God and then they'll think about it, only serve to highlight their gross self-centeredness in which they proudly luxuriate.
Dearest friend (more than a friend ... brother!) Frosbel
I am moved to tears to be able to greet him.
I think there is something more tragic than an atheist ... is a religious fanatic who thinks of what he writes. The blind fanaticism leads to write much (too much), and in such cases, the arguments are weak, inconsistent ... weightless.
You have a very simplistic way, denigrate, insult, demonize their enemies.
His parents had taught him, that must have respect for others, and basically, you should have respect for the ideas of others.
I clarified to you, I'm not an atheist, but your estiulo is offensive, and does not help your exposure.
His view is unfriendly, aggressive and baseless.
You think that because you post three Biblical passages out of context, you are going to convince anyone?
It is totally wrong.
Instead, you generate rejection.
Make an effort to demonstrate education.
That you would do well.
Write less, think more.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Kay17: 9:55pm On Jun 25, 2012
I doubt if atheists and skeptics are the audience you seek, because you didn't come with a clean slate, rather you made a world of unaccepted complicated assumptions.

However well done.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dearest friend (more than a friend ... brother!) Frosbel
I am moved to tears to be able to greet him.

I thank thee for greeting me this way grin

I think there is something more tragic than an atheist ... is a religious fanatic who thinks of what he writes. The blind fanaticism leads to write much (too much), and in such cases, the arguments are weak, inconsistent ... weightless.

For JESUS I will accept any of your labels without complaint.

You have a very simplistic way, denigrate, insult, demonize their enemies.

Actually not true.

A number of agnostics and die hard atheists attach themselves to this board like a parasite to a host , attacking Christianity and Christ all day long, mocking the bible and trying to misrepresent the truth.

We have to respond with the sword of truth which is the word of GOD to counter the LIES of Satan.

His parents had taught him, that must have respect for others, and basically, you should have respect for the ideas of others.

I do have respect for others , you do not even know me grin ,I enjoy opening biblical truths to the ignorant so that they will take hold of precious truths and come to a knowledge of GOD.

You may want to advice many of your atheist friends who not only spew profanity all day long but who have assumed the place of judge , juror and executioner on the things that they aint got a clue aboout. That is for sure a sign of bad manners , lack of respect and quite despicable attitude.

I clarified to you, I'm not an atheist, but your estiulo is offensive, and does not help your exposure.

thank God

You think that because you post three Biblical passages out of context, you are going to convince anyone?
It is totally wrong.

Kindly show me where I quoted verses out of context, and please make sure you have facts so that you do not accuse me of exposing ignorance when I confront your facts with the word of GOD.

Instead, you generate rejection.

Apostle Paul and King Solomon called those who say there is no GOD , FOOLs!! Now that is harsh , but guess what thousands were saved under Paul's ministry.

People will always be offended by the truth.

"A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed." - 1 Peter 2:8

Make an effort to demonstrate education.

I have plenty of it .

That you would do well.

Indeed

Write less, think more.

You bet , I always read and think before I post any article here.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Niflheim(m): 11:24pm On Jun 25, 2012
@frosbel,the biggest tragedy on this earth is christianity and you are quoting nonsense because the bible is a book made up of 70percent lies and contradictions.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Niflheim(m): 11:31pm On Jun 25, 2012
@frosbel,mental laziness is the number 1 requirement for christians who Bleep small kids in catholic monasteries,then they claim that it was the devil.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Jenwitemi(m): 7:57am On Jun 26, 2012
The tragedy of frosbel.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 10:10am On Jun 26, 2012
I like the way Frosbel is being rebuked and shamed
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Fr0sbel: 11:09am On Jun 26, 2012
logicboy01: I like the way Frosbel is being rebuked and shamed

Oh dear, I have been shamed dear logicboy and sobbing profusely tongue

Anyway let us know when we can initiate another teaming on ISLAM grin
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by harakiri(m): 11:17am On Jun 26, 2012
Here we go again.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 12:22pm On Jun 26, 2012
Fr0sbel:

You want to bash Islam? The fear of Maclatunji aka Macdaddy is the beginning of wisdom to avoid banishment
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 30, 2012
A must read
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 30, 2012

The tragedy of atheism is the hopelessness of the self. People who refuse to believe put their entire stock into their own strength, brain, abilities, and they say that any day now, the world will be better because of their own strength, brain, and abilities. It never will be, because we are sinners. But the proud refuse to accept their own sin as the stain that it is and humble themselves to Him who heals, loves, and saves.

The tragedy is that a whole class of people deliberately shrink their world to the provable and seen. Their world is of the brain, but not the mind. It is of the natural and not the supernatural, of the drearily provable and not the awe-inspiring mysterious. Their world is littered with decaying peeled grapes, while the believer's world is endless, eternal, and perfect. The tragedy is in thinking that peeled grapeskins is all there is to life, when they could have so much more. [/b]Even in Apostle Paul's day this attitude of 'serve me' was prevalent: "Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles." [b](1 Corinthians 22-23)
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 30, 2012
Fr0sbel:

logicboy01:

You want to bash Islam? The fear of Maclatunji aka Macdaddy is the beginning of wisdom to avoid banishment
WTF?
To hell with Maclatunji. he's a moderator and has no f4king power to ban anyone. he cowardly runs to either Mukina2 Seun or Virgo to ban those he consider as enemies. Those are the only people that can ban
Fr0sbel:

count me in. I'm interested in the tag team. There's an interesting topic that depicts Mohammad for who he is. cming soon
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 5:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
toba.:
WTF?
To hell with Maclatunji. he's a moderator and has no f4king power to ban anyone. he cowardly runs to either Mukina2 Seun or Virgo to ban those he consider as enemies. Those are the only people that can ban
count me in. I'm interested in the tag team. There's an interesting topic that depicts Mohammad for who he is. cming soon

Mac;atunji aka MACdaddy is a boss. The guy can ban whole threads. I dont know where one of my threads disappered to once.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by 2good(m): 5:35pm On Jun 30, 2012
Frosbel you always complain about Atheist derailing Christian threads and you spend most of your time creating anti Atheist thread. Don't you think you are being intolerant and inconsiderable by always initiating negative topic about a group of people and you expect them not to respond negatively to you? What made you think you have the exclusive right to be the one to attack people?
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 30, 2012
logicboy01:

Mac;atunji aka MACdaddy is a boss. The guy can ban whole threads. I dont know where one of my threads disappered to once.
lol

Yes he has power to delete threads, posts and also modify posts thats all.

He cant ban u if u havent gone against the law. I think he lives a very miserable life outside of here, hence flexing muscle on a faceless forum.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 5:42pm On Jun 30, 2012
toba.:
lol

Yes he has power to delete threads, posts and also modify posts thats all.

He cant ban u if u havent gone against the law. I think he lives a very miserable life outside of here, hence flexing muscle on a faceless forum.

We can be practical;

post a thread that honestly criticizes an issue in islam and lets see whether it will be modified or locked. smiley
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jun 30, 2012
logicboy01:

We can be practical;

post a thread that honestly criticizes an issue in islam and lets see whether it will be modified or locked. smiley
i promise to do that. i can even give u links to the ones i ve posted. when u start a topic to criticize christianity(by expressing ur opinion) does it get locked here? if no, then something is wrong with Islam
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 5:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
toba.:
i promise to do that. i can even give u links to the ones i ve posted. when u start a topic to criticize christianity(by expressing ur opinion) does it get locked here? if no, then something is wrong with Islam

I have been bashing christanity for a long time here. When I got into Maclatunji's radar, I got banned permanently after a week.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 30, 2012
logicboy01:

I have been bashing christanity for a long time here. When I got into Maclatunji's radar, I got banned permanently after a week.

even Seun is scared of Muslims so they wouldnt kill me, hence he gave them a grave yard and secluded section to practice their religion of piss
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 6:00pm On Jun 30, 2012
toba.:

even Seun is scared of Muslims so they wouldnt kill me, hence he gave them a grave yard and secluded section to practice their religion of piss

lol.

Maclatunji is afraid of atheists
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 30, 2012
Not really. he's just too ashamed that the illgocalities of islam would be exposed. Afterall Islam isthe religion of terrorists
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 6:09pm On Jun 30, 2012
toba.:
Not really. he's just too ashamed that the illgocalities of islam would be exposed. Afterall Islam isthe religion of terrorists

Ah, you seem to be forgetting that I am an atheist. The original terrorists are christians. However, christianity and judaism have gone through reformation and are no more doing inquisition and killing people for blasphemy. Islam is yet to be reformed and it doesnt want to hear the truth
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 30, 2012
logicboy01:

Ah, you seem to be forgetting that I am an atheist. The original terrorists are christians. However, christianity and judaism have gone through reformation and are no more doing inquisition and killing people for blasphemy. Islam is yet to be reformed and it doesnt want to hear the truth

Your brother in arms, Stalin and his backup man Chairman Mao who wiped out millions of souls in just one century , can never be outdone for their godlessness, wickedness and inhumanity to man.

These men started out without god , became more depraved and saw nothing wrong with the killing of countless millions, since in their opinion these were simply animals just like the beasts.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 6:27pm On Jun 30, 2012
frosbel:

Your brother in arms, Stalin and his backup man Chairman Mao who wiped out millions of souls in just one century , can never be outdone for their godlessness, wickedness and inhumanity to man.

These men started out without god , became more depraved and saw nothing wrong with the killing of countless millions, since in their opinion these were simply animals just like the beasts.

Sharaap. Mao and Stalin were communists. Communism is a state religion.

However, christians have been killing people hundreds of years before Mao's and Stalin's grandfathers were born.

The christian death toll is higher than any religion or cause. It has been used by many tyrants and extremists
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2012
[quote author=logicboy01]

Sharaap. Mao and Stalin were communists. Communism is a state religion.

Your knowledge of communism is shockingly shallow.

Communism is based on Marxism, an ideology formed and founded on Atheism.

With Stalin's USSR and Mao's China, we saw first hand what a godless atheist 'golden age' world will look like , should they be in charge.

However, christians have been killing people hundreds of years before Mao's and Stalin's grandfathers were born.

Christians ? You mean your catholic brothers, do you know that atheists and Catholics have a lot in common, both practise cruelty , and tyranny and show a lack of love for humanity.

The christian death toll is higher than any religion or cause. It has been used by many tyrants and extremists

No one can outdo the bloodshed perpetuated by the communists in the 10th centurtm not even Muslims.

The crusaders and their eastern orthodox counterparts , obviously not Christians, killed not more than 1 million over centuries , as despicable and ungodly as these acts were.

However Communism was responsible for almost 200 million death in just 1 century , what a blood thirsty intolerant and tyrannical religion atheism communism is.

Have a read of this article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Book_of_Communism
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Kay17: 6:57pm On Jun 30, 2012
@ frosbel

There are many atheists that hate Communism. Yes its has an atheistic ingredient, I don't think it condemns atheism, because in the first place there are no ethical creeds which all atheists are formally obliged to follow.

Its basically strawman arguments, except if you are proving a belief in the Christian God or other Gods necessarily imposes a moral duty.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 30, 2012
Kay 17: @ frosbel

There are many atheists that hate Communism. Yes its has an atheistic ingredient, I don't think it condemns atheism, because in the first place there are no ethical creeds which all atheists are formally obliged to follow.

Its basically strawman arguments, except if you are proving a belief in the Christian God or other Gods necessarily imposes a moral duty.

Wrong !!

Karl Marx was the proponent of this modern ideology of militant atheism which eventually morphed into a quest for an utopian society ,where man was in charge and no god existed.

Countless Churches and Mosques were turned into museums, talk about intrusion. Christians, many were murdered or imprisoned and others sent to labour camps.
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by logicboy01: 7:53pm On Jun 30, 2012
frosbel:

Wrong !!

Karl Marx was the proponent of this modern ideology of militant atheism which eventually morphed into a quest for an utopian society ,where man was in charge and no god existed.

Countless Churches and Mosques were turned into museums, talk about intrusion. Christians, many were murdered or imprisoned and others sent to labour camps.

Ignorance is a disease. Communism is a state religion. Even if it was not, it does change the fact that atheism can not be held to communist actions. It would be akin to holding atheists for Bhuddist actions because Bhuddism is an atheistic religion without the belief in a god.

Furthermore, you are quite ignorant to believe that atheism/muslims have killed more people than christians. This is the height of ignorance.

lets do the body count

-Hitler
-Crusades
-Inquisition
-Protestants v catholics in Ireland
-Christian conquest in India
-Slaves that died in transit to America + murdered disobedient slaves
-Christian conquest in South America
-Annihilation of North American Indians

You are quite ignorant.

The bible is a book of war ad for you to talk about others killing in the past is hypocrisy
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by Kay17: 7:55pm On Jun 30, 2012
And Mikhail Bakunin??
Re: The Tragedy Of Atheism by cyrexx: 9:36am On Jul 01, 2012
2good: Frosbel you always complain about Atheist derailing Christian threads and you spend most of your time creating anti Atheist thread. Don't you think you are being intolerant and inconsiderable by always initiating negative topic about a group of people and you expect them not to respond negatively to you? What made you think you have the exclusive right to be the one to attack people?

so true of him and some other christians
christians always attack the atheists e.g call them fools and condemn them to hell fire
when they do this to atheists, they think its normal
but when atheists return the favor to them in kind, they begin to complain
bunch of hypocrites

this is the thread where he was complaining
https://www.nairaland.com/963635/religious-section-been-taken-over#11107058

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rev. King Sentenced To Death By Hanging / Which Bible Is The Inspired Word Of God ? / Seed Of Destiny (daily Devotional Guide) By Dr Pastor Paul Enenche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.