Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,637 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Wind Turbine Construction With Pics - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Wind Turbine Construction With Pics (25065 Views)

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. / The Wind Turbine Can Generate Electricity For Every Home In A Country / Vision 2020 Electric Power Generation: Backyard Turbine System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by kramer: 2:23pm On Jun 26, 2012
@op... all the best with your project, I know how stressful these things can get, hope you enjoy the results of your hardwork! (and sorry i cant offer you any help)
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Demdem(m): 2:53pm On Jun 26, 2012
@ Poster

ur Moniker is scary shocked shocked shocked. How am i sure if that the knowledge i will pass accross to u wont be abused which will for the basis of a very deadly weapon for u guys use?
Dont mind me, just joking grin grin grin
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by TonySpike: 3:22pm On Jun 26, 2012
purpinkx: ‎ ‎كلورين‎ 4rm my point of veiw ... U dnt need a 10volt motor but an amplifier/multiplier-circuit (or watever u call it) ... I have 1 dat generates 6volt 4rm 1.5v ba3 i use it to charge my phone ... I think u'l find a DIY on the internet ... Goodluck sadiq/sadeeq

Amplifier circuit? I don't think that is necessary for this kind of work. An amplifier circuit on its own requires an external source of voltage to function which is detrimental to his design here. A miniaturised step-up transformer circuit could be more useful with cascades of resistors to limit the output voltage to the desired value. However, this could complicate your design since what you require is a DC output.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by tiarabubu: 3:33pm On Jun 26, 2012
@sadiq

+1 million likes
+1 billion following

Interesting work.. Keep it up ok?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 3:46pm On Jun 26, 2012
Tony Spike:

Amplifier circuit? I don't think that is necessary for this kind of work. An amplifier circuit on its own requires an external source of voltage to function which is detrimental to his design here. A miniaturised step-up transformer circuit could be more useful with cascades of resistors to limit the output voltage to the desired value. However, this could complicate your design since what you require is a DC output.

He got me kind of curious, so I surfed the web, still am on the mutiplier thing, and its looking kind of interesting, the downside is a circute, so am kind of in the dark. But if there's anybody that can help out with more explanation on the voltage mutiplier, I'll be more than happy.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 3:49pm On Jun 26, 2012
tiarabubu: @sadiq

+1 million likes
+1 billion following

Interesting work.. Keep it up ok?
Thanks man.

AK 48: Nice 1 bro.looking @ ur design and diagrams,I think you r on point,just keep it up.
Btw.I m your brother on this,I read electrical engineering unn,n I ve worked on dc generators n induction motor n gen.
I m gonna send u links where to get precise n detailed info about this,also know about a friend who did something similar.
Bro do you know anything on this voltage mutiplier thing?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by hustler2(m): 5:05pm On Jun 26, 2012
Attached is a pic of the geared motor i was talking about in my initial post. I don't know if you can find the motor in naija. But just check around. I worked the project in Malaysia back then.

Specification:
DC12V
Output Power: 3.4 Watt
Rated Speed: 34RPM
Rated Current: 0.9A

The is a very good motor for your project. The only draw back of geared DC motors in wind mills is that geared DC motors has a relatively higher starting torque than non-geared ones. But if your blades are designed properly it won't really affect you. I used a standing fan blades for mine and i worked great. Because if your blades are not properly designed to maximize the pressure of the wind speed on the blades then it might not function in the normal Nigerian wind speed which averages 6mph. But you can demonstrate the project by using and external fan to pump air at high speed into the blades.

The other problem with wind mill is that you have to get a stable output. In a real-time application, you can not guarantee a stead wind speed. With this, i used a buck boost converter to stabilize the voltage. you can design a buck boost converter to boost any input voltage between 6V - 12V to give a steady output of 15V...

I hope it helps....

2 Likes

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 5:41pm On Jun 26, 2012
Tony Spike:

Am not talking of Tv amplifier ... My mistake though .. The name z voltage doubler

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 5:52pm On Jun 26, 2012
hu$tler:
Attached is a pic of the geared motor i was talking about in my initial post. I don't know if you can find the motor in naija. But just check around. I worked the project in Malaysia back then.

Specification:
DC12V
Output Power: 3.4 Watt
Rated Speed: 34RPM
Rated Current: 0.9A

The is a very good motor for your project. The only draw back of geared DC motors in wind mills is that geared DC motors has a relatively higher starting torque than non-geared ones. But if your blades are designed properly it won't really affect you. I used a standing fan blades for mine and i worked great. Because if your blades are not properly designed to maximize the pressure of the wind speed on the blades then it might not function in the normal Nigerian wind speed which averages 6mph. But you can demonstrate the project by using and external fan to pump air at high speed into the blades.

The other problem with wind mill is that you have to get a stable output. In a real-time application, you can not guarantee a stead wind speed. With this, i used a buck boost converter to stabilize the voltage. you can design a buck boost converter to boost any input voltage between 6V - 12V to give a steady output of 15V...

I hope it helps....
Its wonderful, the high touque might be a little hinge, but I should be able to work though it. I can't use artificial source of wind, my lectures kicked against it, the deal is for me to mount it.
The only problem is I don't know what appliance it is gotten from, this geared motor of yours.
I think I have a new way I want the design to go, I just learnt about this doubler/mutiplier/boost converter today.
I am planing on using a stepper motor, produce some voltage then use the boost converter to take it up to 14volts.
I'll upload the pics for my new design
Please mail me at
sadikk99@yahoo.com
I'll like us to talk some more.
Thanks for your help.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 5:56pm On Jun 26, 2012
purpinkx:
Am not talking of Tv amplifier ... My mistake though .. The name z voltage doubler
Yeah, I have been search online for it. I came across similar info. Its was a very big help, breakthrough, I hope!!
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2012
كلورين:
Its wonderful, the high touque might be a little hinge, but I should be able to work though it. I can't use artificial source of wind, my lectures kicked against it, the deal is for me to mount it.
The only problem is I don't know what appliance it is gotten from, this geared motor of yours.
I think I have a new way I want the design to go, I just learnt about this doubler/mutiplier/boost converter today.
I am planing on using a stepper motor, produce some voltage then use the boost converter to take it up to 14volts.
Please mail me at
sadikk99@yahoo.com
Thanks for your help.
... Glad i could help
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2012
The new design..
It a lil rough though, but you will get the point.

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 6:16pm On Jun 26, 2012
I am going to use ball bearings for the yaw, the furling is going to be hinged like a door, but I am afraid my wiring from the motor to the circut on the ground, would get tangled when it twist over and over, back and forth. Any solution guys?

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 7:03pm On Jun 26, 2012
كلورين: I am going to use ball bearings for the yaw, the furling is going to be hinged like a door,[ b]but I am afraid my wiring from the motor to the circut on the ground, would get tangled when it twist over and over[/b], back and forth. Any solution guys?
Use the principle of electric motor split/slip rings
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 7:03pm On Jun 26, 2012
كلورين: I am going to use ball bearings for the yaw, the furling is going to be hinged like a door,[ b]but I am afraid my wiring from the motor to the circut on the ground, would get tangled when it twist over and over[/b], back and forth. Any solution guys?
Try to apply the principle of electric motor split/slip rings
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 7:31pm On Jun 26, 2012
purpinkx:
Try to apply the principle of electric motor split/slip rings
Thanks, I actually was looking for the name. You've been of tremendous help. Thank you.
Expecting. smiley
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 26, 2012
I know nothing on wind turbines, but maybe some youtube searches can be of great help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN7gkchj1BQ

or simply type wind turbine generator on youtube/google.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 8:45pm On Jun 26, 2012
cycober: I know nothing on wind turbines, but maybe some youtube searches can be of great help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN7gkchj1BQ

or simply type wind turbine generator on youtube/google.

Thanks, I did that already.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 8:51pm On Jun 26, 2012
كلورين:
Thanks, I actually was looking for the name. You've been of tremendous help. Thank you.
Expecting. smiley
My pleasure ... You need some rest ... Guess these should do 4 a day smiley
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by davechika(m): 9:01pm On Jun 26, 2012
كلورين:
Please mail me at
sadikk99@yahoo.com
Thanks for your help.

sadeeq u cant use a stepper motor to generate that kind of voltage efficiently,use low rpm Dc motor then use a buck or boost conveter but another thing u should consider wats the current produced by such motor at such rpm.
secondly wats the final output of your wind turbine gonna be used for ?
1.to charge a battery which then power an inveter to produce alternating current or wat ?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 9:35pm On Jun 26, 2012
davechika:

sadeeq u cant use a stepper motor to generate that kind of voltage efficiently,use low rpm Dc motor then use a buck or boost conveter but another thing u should consider wats the current produced by such motor at such rpm.
secondly wats the final output of your wind turbine gonna be used for ?
1.to charge a battery which then power an inveter to produce alternating current or wat ?
Oh shoot! You mean if I get say a 24volt with about 200 steps stepper motor I can't get 7 out of it?
I wanted to use an inverter, so I use it to power an energy saving bulb. But decided not to, I haven't really decided yet what to use it to power, because that's not an issue, I can come up with anything at the end, its 12v from a battery.
Which motor would you suggest I get?
Please mail me at sadikk99@yahoo.com

purpinkx: My pleasure ... You need some rest ... Guess these should do 4 a day smiley
purpinkx: My pleasure ... You need some rest ... Guess these should do 4 a day smiley
Thanks again, please try to send me a mail, so we can keep exchanging ideas.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 10:00pm On Jun 26, 2012
I am doing this exact thing for my project but I am building a wertical axis one. You should the geared motor like a poster said it will help you. I would post a prototype of what mine will look like. I would also love to see the work you have done so far
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 10:06pm On Jun 26, 2012
This is what mine will be built like

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by bayulll01(m): 10:09pm On Jun 26, 2012
well gud one bro,wish i can help read chemical engin all the best sha
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 10:22pm On Jun 26, 2012
Mynd_44: This is what mine will be built like
Wow awesome! I haven't done much, just the blades, I considered the vertical axis turbine, but I am alil shot on wind, the reason why I am not so enthusiastic about using a gearing or pulley system.
What motor are you using?
Mail me please sadikk99@yahoo.com
bayulll01: well gud one bro,wish i can help read chemical engin all the best sha
Thanks bro.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Dambudzo: 2:34am On Jun 27, 2012
I am an Electrical engineer whose focus area is power systems. If you need any help drop a message. Don't use an amplifier, from the electric motor use a step up transformer. With a transformer you don't worry about bias voltages. Another thing, are you going to be generating 3 phase voltages or single phase voltages ? This part is important when it comes to what kind of transformer you will need.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 2:50am On Jun 27, 2012
Dambudzo: I am an Electrical engineer whose focus area is power systems. If you need any help drop a message. Don't use an amplifier, from the electric motor use a step up transformer. With a transformer you don't worry about bias voltages. Another thing, are you going to be generating 3 phase voltages or single phase voltages ? This part is important when it comes to what kind of transformer you will need.
Single phase
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Dambudzo: 3:11am On Jun 27, 2012
Mynd_44:
Single phase

Okay. Then you don't have to worry about the configuration of the three phase transformers, but now you have to worry about single phase motors. Unlike three phase motors, single phase motors are not that efficient and they do not self start. The efficient ones known as capacitor start capacitor run and capacitor start are a bit expensive. So now your budget comes into play.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 3:30am On Jun 27, 2012
Actually, I have not been to the market yet. I am just arranging the parts I need. I will hit the market next month to see what options I have in terms of budget and efficiency
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 6:16am On Jun 27, 2012
Dambudzo: I am an Electrical engineer whose focus area is power systems. If you need any help drop a message. Don't use an amplifier, from the electric motor use a step up transformer. With a transformer you don't worry about bias voltages. Another thing, are you going to be generating 3 phase voltages or single phase voltages ? This part is important when it comes to what kind of transformer you will need.

I'm not an engineer but i know dat transformers work wit A.c and the last time i checked .. Electric motors generate D.c ... Correct me if i'm wrong but i dont see how they relate
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Dambudzo: 6:25am On Jun 27, 2012
purpinkx:
I'm not an engineer but i know dat transformers work wit A.c and the last time i checked .. Electric motors generate D.c ... Correct me if i'm wrong but i dont see how they relate

Yes transformers work with AC. They are many different types of motors which are classified into two categories. There is DC motors and AC motors ( induction machines and synchronous machines). If he is going to use a transformer he will need an AC motor for sure.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 8:11am On Jun 27, 2012
purpinkx:
Some motors generate DC currents

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Astronomers Discover Non-Habitable Earth-Sized 'Pi Planet' With A 3.14-Day Orbit / InventTech Building A Global IoT-based Hardware Company / Www.whatsapp.com| Download Whatsapp On Android, On Ipad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.