Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola (5821 Views)

Ambode Lights Up Third Mainland Bridge (photos) / N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week / Images Of What The Propose 4th Mainland Bridge Will Look Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by mukina2: 2:02pm On Jun 26, 2012

The Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola on Monday said that contrary to what has been reported, the Third Mainland Bridge will not be shut down from July but that diversions will take place depending on what sections of the road will be worked upon.

He urged residents of the State not to entertain any needless fear about the impending repair works on the Third Mainland Bridge, saying it is all about proper management of the situation.

Mr Fashola who spoke in an interview with State House Correspondents at Lagos House, Ikeja said that it is a process which has taken place before and when it took place the people went through it and it was managed successfully even though there were some traffic.

“Let us remember that we have done this before. Two years ago four joints were fixed and I think we managed the traffic by communicating with our people. So, contrary to what has been reported, it is not a total closure but a partial closure.

“But let us contextualize it; we are better off today than we were when we did it, at that time we diverted traffic mainly to Funsho Williams, Western Avenue, Ikorodu Road and also Murtala Mohammed Way and through Carter Bridge into Lagos Island and out. Remember that at the time this happened we were constructing those two roads. Now they have been finished.

“So in terms of roads infrastructure, we are better off now than when we first undertook the repairs and managed it successfully, so it should be less painful. We have also agreed with the Federal Ministry of Works and chosen this period so that we will utilize the time the students are on vacation”.

The governor reiterated that the repair works will start hopefully on July 1st but that much of the work will deepen during the period when the school pupils are expected to be on holidays and that the traffic impact is expected to reduce.

He added that the work will continue till after the school children resume but that government is targeting “that before the end of year rush and traffic starts mounting by October to November, we would have finished so that people will have a pleasurable and comfortable drive on that bridge in and out of Lagos”.

Mr Fashola said the road will also save the residents the wear and tear on their suspension and shock absorber, adding that it is in their own interest for it to be repaired and that they should not panic.

He said that State has a Radio station dedicated to traffic issues. He said that when the Third Mainland Bridge first underwent repairs, there was no Traffic Radio in the state which is now available to enable information and movement to be communicated regularly.

Source

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by ballabriggs: 2:16pm On Jun 26, 2012
If they had completed the fourth mainland bridge, the people of Lagos would not go through the pain they about to experience. Hope LASTMA would be on ground though.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by espn(m): 2:19pm On Jun 26, 2012
ballabriggs: If they had completed the fourth mainland bridge, the people of Lagos would not go through the pain they about to experience. Hope LASTMA would be on ground though.
wetin dis 1 dey talk..off point..park well abeg!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by ballabriggs: 2:23pm On Jun 26, 2012
espn: wetin dis 1 dey talk..off point..park well abeg!

Are you an idi0t not to know the traffic situation in Lagos when the third mainland bridge is opened? Now imagine what it looks like with a partial closure.

Tinubu, Fashola and the ACN had always made the fourth mainland bridge a part of their campaign promise since 1999. The fourth mainland was intended to ease the pressure on the other existing bridges. Why has it not been fulfilled after 13 years?

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by clemmonce(m): 2:26pm On Jun 26, 2012
see one typical nigerian talkin about 4th mainland bridge wat about u maintainin wat u hav. abeg go buy some sense 4 yaba it is nt too expensive.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by skibochi(m): 2:30pm On Jun 26, 2012
ballabriggs: If they had completed the fourth mainland bridge, the people of Lagos would not go through the pain they about to experience. Hope LASTMA would be on ground though.

guy na you go give den money ni!! a beg park right jaré!!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by webmanlag: 2:33pm On Jun 26, 2012
clemmonce: see one typical nigerian talkin about 4th mainland bridge wat about u maintainin wat u hav. abeg go buy some sense 4 yaba it is nt too expensive.

Yes, e dey cheap for Yaba Psychiatric Hospital cheesy grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 26, 2012
Ozumba Mbadiwe part has been scrapped, the entire stretch from close to American Embassy to Radisson Blue has returned to the state it was during the Colonial era. an alternative route is Lagos(ojodu) - Ijebu - Epe - Lekki - V/Island. I tried it and spend just two hours thirty minutes at 80KM/PH.

As for me, I want FRSC to direct traffic on the bridge and LASTMA to check out for One-Way drivers. The lastma team can also give bottled waters to passers-by and drivers sweating on their seat.

2 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Biggyd2: 2:37pm On Jun 26, 2012

They are already quarrelling over who will cotrol traffic. Why would this be? I hope that there is no money "to be shared" somewhere.

See: Third Mainland Bridge closure: FG, Lagos disagree on traffic management
TUESDAY, 26 JUNE 2012 09:15 JOSHUA BASSEY

Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos
Five days to the commencement of repair work on the Third Mainland Bridge, the Lagos State government and federal authorities are enmeshed in arguments over whose responsibility it is to manage and control traffic on the bridge.

Governor Babatunde Fashola has however allayed fears over the traffic implication of the impending work, assuring that the bridge would not be totally closed to traffic as had been reported in the media.

Fashola, who spoke to State House correspondents on Monday, said the 11.8 km bridge, the longest in Africa, would only be partially shut duration the repair work which begins July 1 till November 6, 2012. According to the governor, the repair work would be concentrated on the expansion joints, which are the metals between the roads on the bridge.

He said “Contrary to what has been reported, it is not a complete closure but a partial closure. While the work is on, diversion will take place, depending on the section of the road that will be worked upon by the contractor.

[b]“While we commend the initiative of the Federal Government to embark on the repair, there is no need for fear because we have done it before and at the time we did this, we all went through it. And today, we are better than where we were before.” He urged the motoring public to consider alternative routes through the waterways and advised car owners to consider the option of going with public transport while leaving their cars at home.

On traffic management, he said “It is unfortunate that the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) had gone to make the announcement on traffic control. If you look into the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in the exclusive legislative list, the only jurisdiction for managing traffic is what the Federal Government has on federal trunk road and not on roads within municipality of states. We cannot continue this desperate encroachment of territories. The constitution clearly sets out roles for different tiers of government responsibility.

“Therefore, the responsibility for managing and maintaining the Third Mainland Bridge is for the Federal Government, but maintaining a bridge and managing traffic on it, are two different responsibilities. The traffic management on it belongs to the state. The bridge that crosses the lagoon within the territory of a city lies within the state control for traffic.”[/b]
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/40172-third-mainland-bridge-closure-fg-lagos-disagree-on-traffic-management
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 26, 2012
Keneking: Ozumba Mbadiwe part has been scrapped, the entire stretch from close to American Embassy to Radisson Blue has returned to the state it was during the Colonial era. an alternative route is Lagos(ojodu) - Ijebu - Epe - Lekki - V/Island. I tried it and spend just two hours thirty minutes at 80KM/PH.

As for me, I want FRSC to direct traffic on the bridge and LASTMA to check out for One-Way drivers. The lastma team can also give bottled waters to passers-by and drivers sweating on their seat.

It seems you're not in lag or you wan enter lagos 4 d 1st time in ur life tomorrow cos wat u just said don't make sense. this aint d 1st time d bridge will be partially closed for repairs and it wont be d last time. Maintenance shld be a national culture. Dey open one side of the bridge and close the other. They even go as far as alternating routes and block heavy trucks from passing through the bridge during repairs.

I remember wen d bridge was partially closed for repairs in 2009 when i was still in lag. It didn't kill us and the traffic was not d worst lag has ever experienced so guys shld just support the govt.

Before asking dumb questions, do you pay your tax? Do you pay you bills appropriately? Do you live responsibly in lag (dat's if u're in lag)? Before u post on NL, kindly follow the steps below:

1) Type....

2) Read through....

3) Edit....

4) Read through again....

5) Call a friend to help check if your comment makes sense.... tongue

6) Post your comment.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by 2sa2: 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2012
Thank God the entire bridge will not be closed.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by BashMe1(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2012
wise_many2k:

It seems you're not in lag or you wan enter lagos 4 d 1st time in ur life tomorrow cos wat u just said don't make sense. this aint d 1st time d bridge will be partially closed for repairs and it wont be d last time. Maintenance shld be a national culture. Dey open one side of the bridge and close the other. They even go as far as alternating routes and block heavy trucks from passing through the bridge during repairs.

I remember wen d bridge was partially closed for repairs in 2009 when i was still in lag. It didn't kill us and the traffic was not d worst lag has ever experienced so guys shld just support the govt.

Before asking dumb questions, do you pay your tax? Do you pay you bills appropriately? Do you live responsibly in lag (dat's if u're in lag)? Before u post on NL, kindly follow the steps below:

1) Type....

2) Read through....

3) Edit....

4) Read through again....

5) Call a friend to help check if your comment makes sense.... tongue

6) Post your comment.

Nice Response Bruv... E be like dat guy wey dey complain carry too much hair above hin head wey now don cover hin brain. Make una tell am make hin try cut/shave am comot 4 am to acquire small sense sef if not average. Omo Jonathan Jati jati... Wetin ur PDP don do?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by valencia25(m): 3:17pm On Jun 26, 2012
make it snappy Mr. Fash
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by ballabriggs: 3:22pm On Jun 26, 2012
Bash Me:

Nice Response Bruv... E be like dat guy wey dey complain carry too much hair above hin head wey now don cover hin brain. Make una tell am make hin try cut/shave am comot 4 am to acquire small sense sef if not average. Omo Jonathan Jati jati... Wetin ur PDP don do?

Now listen, I like Fash, I value the little he has achieved in Lagos during his tenure, however, that does not mean we are not going to criticize them. At every election period, Tinubu, Fash and the ACN come selling the fourth mainland to the people in order to secure their votes. To me, this is patronizing. It is easy for people who live around Oworoshoki, Surulere, Yaba and Ikeja to get to the Island even with this closure. What of the very low earning workers who live on the outskirts in Ikorodu, Igando and Okoko. It is going to be a nightmare for these people. If Lagos had built this bridge this would not have been the case.

If Lagos reduces the graft in the system, there would be resources for a fourth mainland bridge. I say this because I personally know how people who work in the Lagos government have risen to stupendous wealth with no verifiable source of income. I know what Gbenga Ashafa for example looked like before he became the DG Lands.

I like Fash, however, we have to be objective when assessing him.

3 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2012
Seun- beware ACN boiz have hijacked your media platform.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 26, 2012
pls where is the 1st and 2nd mainland bridges located? just asking pls!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Omexonomy: 4:00pm On Jun 26, 2012
The bridge belong to the fed gov and the fed gov whom most of you love 2 insult are the one repairing it not the lagos state gov
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 26, 2012
Keneking: Seun- beware ACN boiz have hijacked your media platform.

Is it because of this national issue or is ACN the owner of third mainland bridge or you just wanted to derail this important topic because you are an alien to Lagos. Mr man you berra go sit down if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 26, 2012
berem: pls where is the 1st and 2nd mainland bridges located? just asking pls!
carter, eko bridges

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 26, 2012
4bobo:
carter, eko bridges
thanks bro!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
ballabriggs:

Now listen, I like Fash, I value the little he has achieved in Lagos during his tenure, however, that does not mean we are not going to criticize them. At every election period, Tinubu, Fash and the ACN come selling the fourth mainland to the people in order to secure their votes. To me, this is patronizing. It is easy for people who live around Oworoshoki, Surulere, Yaba and Ikeja to get to the Island even with this closure. What of the very low earning workers who live on the outskirts in Ikorodu, Igando and Okoko. It is going to be a nightmare for these people. If Lagos had built this bridge this would not have been the case.

If Lagos reduces the graft in the system, there would be resources for a fourth mainland bridge. I say this because I personally know how people who work in the Lagos government have risen to stupendous wealth with no verifiable source of income. I know what Gbenga Ashafa for example looked like before he became the DG Lands.

I like Fash, however, we have to be objective when assessing him.
from my knowledge of understanding, 4th mainland was to be built by tinubu but when pdp/acn sagga started during the creation of additional local govt which led obj to seize lagos allocation for years, then the whole thing was frustrated. I think fashola should have started it but he prefared to do that of metro train in mile 2 to cms which i think it is really ok if completed well. But truely, the project suppose to be federal project, but i believe that due to political differences, they prefare to use the project to play politics.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Limaoscar: 6:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
Are you an idi0t not to know the traffic situation in Lagos when the third mainland bridge is opened? Now imagine what it looks like with a partial closure.

Tinubu, Fashola and the ACN had always made the fourth mainland bridge a part of their campaign promise since 1999. The fourth mainland was intended to ease the pressure on the other existing bridges. Why has it not been fulfilled after 13 years?

No nah....some clueless people will soon jump on you now and theorise it's GEJ's fault that the Bridge hasn't been built.That's the latest default answer to any superior arguement on NL in case ya don't know.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by mbhs139(m): 6:36pm On Jun 26, 2012
ballabriggs:

How does this information calls for criticism? Some of you just think nairaland is about coming to criticise government's action. Guy, you need to check yourself, i beg.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by mbhs139(m): 6:39pm On Jun 26, 2012
ballabriggs:

Idiot like you. So, beause they promised 4th mainland bridge they should not repair the one in already in existence? Guy, you mumu no be small. Why am I wasting my time talking to an idiot like you? May be you are one secondary school student that just have the opportunity to his/her sister's/brother's/uncle's/aunty's/mumy's/daddy's laptop. Ode, olodo.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by solamesin(m): 7:21pm On Jun 26, 2012
Let be realistic if we want good thing we must endure any pain we exprience during repair.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by drfomsky(f): 7:45am On Jun 27, 2012
With no closure at all, it's already very terrible. When they start the 'partial' closure, the traffic on that road will be hellish in the evenings! Anyways, I guess it's for everyone's good!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by viruz007(m): 9:32am On Jun 27, 2012
i see no reason why some people should be complaining though. After all its because of poor maintenance culture that we lost 153 people earlier this month. Now that Fash wants to ensure the bridge is safe for our use, una dey complain... Na wa o. Dat bridge old pass sum people for here and u don't want them to fix it? Bridge that due to linear expansivity that some of the iron's put to allow expansion and contraction where getting weak. Please let's manage the burden after all na we go benefit pass. Plus your shock absorbers will still be in good shape and you'll spend less fixing your cars.

Cheers cool
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 27, 2012
Keneking: Ozumba Mbadiwe part has been scrapped, the entire stretch from close to American Embassy to Radisson Blue has returned to the state it was during the Colonial era. an alternative route is Lagos(ojodu) - Ijebu - Epe - Lekki - V/Island. I tried it and spend just two hours thirty minutes at 80KM/PH.

They should add Gala or Super Bite too.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by kevin0021(m): 11:37am On Jun 27, 2012
I GUESS THIS IS GOOD DEVELOPMENT
BUT I WOULD ADVICE THE GOVT TO
MAKE SURE ANY BREAK DOWN ON THE
ROAD SHOULD BE GIVEN AN IMMEDIATE
ATTENTION NOT TO ADD TO WHAT WILL
BE FACE BY THE LAGOSIANS DURING!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Will Not Be Closed During Repairs – Fashola by edema77: 6:21pm On Aug 23, 2012
Don't let 3rd mainland bridgeworks ruin travel plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxlojLdjo4

Welcome Centre Hotels is only 5 mins drive from the Lagos Airport. Book online on www.welcomecentrehotels.com. Luxury hotel, leisure, wedding and conference venue.
Tel: 01 271 9254

(1) (Reply)

Re-integration Of 2 Million Idps, My Current Challenge -buhari / See Shocking Pics Of Obiano’s Wife’s Botched Look After Latest Plastic Surgery / MY Pastor Almost Scattered His 27 Years Church Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.