Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! (11622 Views)

Tension In Kaduna As Police And Shii'tes Clash / APC Factionalized In Kaduna, As New APC Emerges / President Buhari Visits Kaduna As El-Rufai Receives Him (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Chyz2: 4:05am On Jun 27, 2012
Written by Hassan Ibrahim, Kaduna Wednesday, 27 June 2012

RESIDENTS of Kaduna and environs, who rushed to the famous Kasuwan Talata (Tuesday market) at Kawo to restock, were shocked to the marrow as no single bag of garri was available in the market to buy. Similarly, there were no chicken feeds in the market for poultry farmers to buy because the suppliers could not move out of Kaduna to place orders due to the curfew.

A resident of Kawo New Extension, Sani Ikwere, who went to the Talata weekly market to buy foodstuffs, as government relaxed the curfew on Tuesday, told newsmen that the Igbo and Yoruba traders were nowhere to be found, even as the few bags of garri with some few traders were mopped up by government officials to feed the Internally Displaced Persons across the state.

Ikwere said most households resorted to garri because the curfew did not allow their women take other cassava to market for grinding. “We are adjusting our feeding pattern; it is now a meal or two meals in a day. It is no longer as usual. We pray things will normalise,” he said.

Also, bank customers were disappointed as they could not access their bank accounts. Many banks failed to open while the few that opened operated for four hours between 9.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. due to the ongoing 4.00 p.m. to 7.00 a.m. curfew within the state capital.

Most shops along the ever busy Ahmadu Bello Way between Katsina road and Leventis roundabout were also closed.

Meanwhile, over 2,000 people have been displaced in Kaduna, the Executive Secretary of State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Mr Dogo Makama, has said. He said his agency is collaborating with donor agencies to provide succour to the internally displaced persons.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/43197-food-scarcity-hits-kaduna-as-igbo-yoruba-traders-desert-markets

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 4:33am On Jun 27, 2012
Chyz*:

angry

TBH, that was not meant to be offensive. Trust me, I would have been a lot harsher lol

Onlytruth:
You are ignorant. lol
Most Nigerians are ignorant of their own country.
No be person go bring the garri from Umunede to Kaduna, or from Ayalagu to Kaduna?
The traders sustain the farmers and feed the people. The farmer won't eat his own produce. undecided

So the farmer eats another farmer's products, but he wouldn't eat his own. Hmm.
I don't believe Nigerian government provide food subsidization to their farmers or even provide much governmental help. Correct me on this if I'm wrong.
I believe most Nigerian LOCAL farmers just sell what they have "left over". That's why we import most of what we eat.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Onlytruth(m): 5:18am On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

TBH, that was not meant to be offensive. Trust me, I would have been a lot harsher lol

So the farmer eats another farmer's products, but he wouldn't eat his own. Hmm.
I don't believe Nigerian government provide food subsidization to their farmers or even provide much governmental help. Correct me on this if I'm wrong.
I believe most Nigerian LOCAL farmers just sell what they have "left over". That's why we import most of what we eat.

They sell what they can afford to sell, but some of them are big farmers who produce say 100 and keep only 1 and sell 99.
The point is that they are not traders. The traders come to buy the produce from them and take them to towns and cities where they sell them. These are the people that are missing now in KD. So, hunger don enter town.

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 27, 2012
Onlytruth:

They sell what they can afford to sell, but some of them are big farmers who produce say 100 and keep only 1 and sell 99.
The point is that they are not traders. The traders come to buy the produce from them and take them to towns and cities where they sell them. These are the people that are missing now in KD. So, hunger don enter town.

hmmm.

But if the Igbo/Yoruba traders (who came to buy), then why has food scarcity hit KID since KD owns the farms/ food product.
It would make sense to say that food scarcity hit Southern states.

Confusion is a . . . .
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by bashr8: 8:36am On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

hmmm.

But if the Igbo/Yoruba traders (who came to buy), then why has food scarcity hit KID since KD owns the farms/ food product.
It would make sense to say that food scarcity hit Southern states.

Confusion is a . . . .
who told you the north feeds the south ? the only thing that comes from the north are cows, every region feeds itself and import the rest which requires igbo traders to distribute from the south to the north or from one state to the other so when u distrupt the activities of igbo traders you will all go hungry. go to onithsa on wednesdays especially and see convoy of trilers and wagons loading food stuffs and other items from onithsa to southwest and north, ijebu women also come to buy food stuffs and other materials to sell in the south west

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Murphy7h4: 8:51am On Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Onlytruth(m): 8:54am On Jun 27, 2012
bashr8: who told you the north feeds the south ? the only thing that comes from the north are cows, every region feeds itself and import the rest which requires igbo traders to distribute from the south to the north or from one state to the other so when u distrupt the activities of igbo traders you will all go hungry. go to onithsa on wednesdays especially and see convoy of trilers and wagons loading food stuffs and other items from onithsa to southwest and north, ijebu women also come to buy food stuffs and other materials to sell in the south west

Most non-Igbo Nigerians think that Igboland imports food.lol
Growing up in Igboland, I only ate local foods, yams from Otu ocha and Anam, Cassava from everywhere local, and rice from Adani and Abakaliki. Apart from nama (Zebu cattle) and maybe onions, I can't recall what we don't grow locally. I am talking about Anambra o. Now try other SE states like Imo, Abia and Ebonyi. Across the Niger in Anioma, food plenty there -plantain, garri. Ol' boy, I won't be surprised if the North actually depends on the South for food. undecided

12 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by T9ksy(m): 10:03am On Jun 27, 2012
Onlytruth:

Most non-Igbo Nigerians think that Igboland imports food.lol
Growing up in Igboland, I only ate local foods, yams from Otu ocha and Anam, Cassava from everywhere local, and rice from Adani and Abakaliki. Apart from nama (Zebu cattle) and maybe onions, I can't recall what we don't grow locally. I am talking about Anambra o. Now try other SE states like Imo, Abia and Ebonyi. Across the Niger in Anioma, food plenty there -plantain, garri. Ol' boy, I won't be surprised if the North actually depends on the South for food. undecided

So why the kwashokor during the civil war?

10 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by PointB: 10:20am On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

Very idiotic question!

10 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 27, 2012
PointB:

Very idiotic question!

Very emotional answer. lol.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by T9ksy(m): 10:25am On Jun 27, 2012
PointB:

Very idiotic question!

So why don't you enlighten me?

Your eze said, you were self-sufficient as far as food was concerned and i asked why then couldn't you guys feed

yourselves during the last civil war?

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Otutu1(m): 11:17am On Jun 27, 2012
To all those agitating for breakup and war, this is just a tip of the iceberg. Let's see wat happens when this continues for a week to months wink

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by xrazzy(m): 1:40pm On Jun 27, 2012
Otutu1: To all those agitating for breakup and war, this is just a tip of the iceberg. Let's see wat happens when this continues for a week to months wink
What's your point?
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ebamma(m): 1:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
all thanks to bokoharam abi
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by eledalo: 1:44pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

LMAO

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ballabriggs: 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

Thank you for asking the arrogant man this question.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by slimming: 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
The effect of full scale war will be very hard on Boko boys themselves
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by wisdomolusola: 1:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
Shame on our leaders especially the ones from the north.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by tit(f): 1:48pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

the 'kwashokor' during the civil war was caused by:
1) forced migration as villagers had to leave their crops to get away from hostilities
2) adekunle and the nigerian air force's habit of 'shooting anything that moves'.

no farming, no commerce, no food products.

unlike you, most people cannot carry the tray of ogi on their heads in the streets when tokyo and auxillary are having a discussion.

11 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 27, 2012
Onlytruth:
You are ignorant. lol
Most Nigerians are ignorant of their own country.
No be person go bring the garri from Umunede to Kaduna, or from Ayalagu to Kaduna?
The traders sustain the farmers and feed the people. The farmer won't eat his own produce. undecided

So hausa sef dey chop eba ibo ? Lmao

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Castos(m): 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
every part of the country has it's own part to play in food distribution. But I'll frankly give the southeast(especially Anambra) the uper hand for that.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

You expect people to go to the market and prepare food during a war? grin My brother wake up, its too early to be exposing such lack of reasoning.

7 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by achi4u(m): 1:53pm On Jun 27, 2012
except nama(cattle),onions and some fruits like carrots,garbage.. el tal;East didn't depend on any region for foods.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by mattsteve(f): 1:54pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

u cant b serious...dats the most supid question i ever heard.shows ur high level of illiteracy.smh

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Chyz2: 1:57pm On Jun 27, 2012
What is 'eba'?
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Castos(m): 1:57pm On Jun 27, 2012
Don't be surprised to hear that the hausas prefer eating in an Igbo resturant. Go to USA, most African resturand are owned by the Igbo, with Igbo diets. Who produce and cooks better than we do.

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Chyz2: 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

Stay off my thread with your civil war nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

How could they have farmed when they were running(and hiding) from place to place. It is a full scale war u know. Sometime u dont get to stay in a place for up to a week. So they lived on fruits and smuggled food. Use ur brain

11 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
Abeg make una forgive T9ksy oh! the guy was sleeping when his fingers typed that question. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed / Igbo Traders And Thugs Fight At Ladipo, Lagos, 3 Dead - Metronaija.com (Pics) / President Buhari Arrives Niger For ECOWAS Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.