Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,294 members, 7,839,444 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Bride Price Wahala! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bride Price Wahala! (12692 Views)

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. / How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state / Girls Who Cohabited In The University Do Not Deserve Bride Price!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by seunadeolu(m): 9:59am On Jul 02, 2012
I even heard that some igbo state are helping willing men who want to get married to pay their bride price grin
jude33084:

You just added another inquisitive point about the elders in ibo land grin pls throw more candle on it and tell us how they help those that can't afford to feed their families? cool
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by jude33084(m): 11:20am On Jul 02, 2012
seun_adeolu: I even heard that some igbo state are helping willing men who want to get married to pay their bride price grin

grin cheesy grin
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Clemzy16(m): 12:25pm On Jul 02, 2012
jennykadrry: Well you see, I was in your shoes as well. I simply increased the number of men I slept with. I was doing 5 to 6 men but the money was not enough. I had to buck up and service 10 to 14 every night to get the money to marry. My husband Mr. Kadrry is just a mugu so he could not contribute much. You may have to do likewise.
WTF!
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by katilicious(f): 12:29pm On Jul 02, 2012
lekkie073: elope with d guy, go do a marriage in d registry, get belle, send dem pix and tell dem u r happi dat way. Dats how i won my bride......elope elope elope......
yea daz my point, do court marriage n kno dat u ar leagaly ok den get pregenat dem go beg ona 2 cum wit wetin ona get.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by sydneyobioha(m): 12:51pm On Jul 02, 2012
jennykadrry: Well you see, I was in your shoes as well. I simply increased the number of men I slept with. I was doing 5 to 6 men but the money was not enough. I had to buck up and service 10 to 14 every night to get the money to marry. My husband Mr. Kadrry is just a mugu so he could not contribute much. You may have to do likewise.

you are a disgrace to womanhood! May God punish u there!
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by manny4life(m): 1:28pm On Jul 02, 2012
That's too damn much, financial security or not, are u buying the woman? I think these type of bride price issues depends on where you're from. The part of Anambra I come from, women in my family did not go through these so much list. In fact, I was told that one of my uncle requested either N1,000 or N10,000 but the husband willing gave excessively because he had it. Anyway, I hope no woman's family will give me such kind of list, btw, I'm not even marrying out of my hometown...
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Phrankin(m): 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2012
Not funny, try harder.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 02, 2012
Na wa o! Can't you all  its not jennykadry that is posting this nonsense comments, but someone that is trying to tarnish her image. Can't y'all notice the RR's in jennykadrry.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 02, 2012
Depends. If u r still within d age bracket 20-27, keep talking to ur parents for another one year. If u r above 27, kia kia get pregnant and get married in a court of law. It's ur life not theirs. Meanwhile, i thought it's only in Imo state that they "sell" ladies oo.. So Abia is also a no-go area? Hmmmm...
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by samkoro: 4:34pm On Jul 02, 2012
Lexo22: Pls my friend Ngozi from Ngodo Isochi, Abia State needs your advice on this matter..

I am a girl of 28 years old and my people are demanding a lot from my fiancé for our traditional marriage. I have tried talking to them but they won’t succumb. The list is endless although it’s our tradition. My fiancé and I whom were supposed to be getting married by August but my fiance is shifting the wedding to next year as he does not have the money to buy those things and I don’t have either to support him as I just finished my NYSC and still looking for a job. Now My fear is that if he doesn’t have the money by next year and I don’t get a job, the marriage will still be shifted. I need your advice on this please on what to do. Thank you in anticipation for your candid advice!

Those things they are demanding are for entertainment,would ur husband just pick u without entertaining his inlaws.Its usually not compulsory to complete those demands;its a kind of asking price,u have to bagain toughly.The basic truth is that ur groom to be has to come with his kinsmen that knows how to bagain toughlynand ready for a quarel,and at the end of the day u can't be denied marriage because ur groom can't complete the demands.It is believed that u can't buy a wife,thus in Anambara and many communities in Igboland,your bride price is usualy given back to the groom to show that belief.

Alternatively he can do some and postpone the rest.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Timijo(m): 6:38pm On Jul 02, 2012
A misleading advice from a wayward individual
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Ekavint: 6:49pm On Jul 02, 2012
Harpesin: @ Poster, ask you fada if he is seelling you away, gone are the days where people charge their daughter's fiance outrageous amount just because he wants to help them carry part of their wahala....May be your fada did not know that if you remain unmarried in his house, is a big shame on the entire family, also the guy iss helping him to reduce his burden........This is one of the reason why we keep on having ladies in their fada's house unmarried, imagine am earning 70k per month and my traditional wedding list amount to 800k or more not to talk of church / court wedding pls let the genius here bring out calculator and confirm ao many years will i save to get married....mind you i will get a good apartment, transport, feeding, my parents who struggle to trained me n put me in the right shape needed to be taking care of...even if they are not demanding courtesy demand i remember dem monthly, what about my younger ones, i need to dress properly to work, i will participate in church / town meeting contribution etc.....Dear let you fada think twice and see your fiance as his son .....if my in-law give me much list...I wwill tel them to pls let me know if am buying the lady from them and pay them off, none of them will have access to my house and nothing will be forwarded to dem in future. Now you are not working and getting a good job in this country takes grace of God, let your fada remember that there are millions of ladies outside there, more beautiful, unique, rich, some are even ready to use their money to assist the guy to pay her dowry.....infact no let him be expose to Yoruba / Hausa lady who don't even charge but assist in the wedding expenses.....Boiz make una tel d poster why we are runing away from marriage now adays oooo.....Glamour T Noni.
Try and explain to ur parents and kinsmen that delay is dangerous cos now that the guy is ready let them accomodate by reducing what the custom demand. I'm saying this cos before next year, the young man might just get a cheaper one. But also pray harder
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by chic2pimp(m): 8:21pm On Jul 02, 2012
aze: Just be patient with your family and let your man come with the cash, or else let the highest bidder with deep pockets come into the picture.

For me better you keep your traditions alive than giving in to a guy without respect to your culture as it pertains to marriage. Haba, your parents knows better. Remember how you do your things, down east. If it means being the 3rd wife to a man that fulfils your parents wishes, better do it.

"Obey your parents that your days maybe prolonged on earth"

What a daft sod!!!
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Confilass: 11:39am On Jul 03, 2012
@ Jenny ur advised is really disgusting for someone in need.

@OP pass thru. ur mum & dad to persuade dem. U don't ve to postpone ur marriage bc anything can happen. Let dem know dat u won't be happy with dem if dis guy leave u to marry anoda girl.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
Ndata:

The decision is not entirely up to the girl's parents to make concerning the matter.She clearly stated its their tradition.Which means the pleading must be to the entire kinsmen.Which i doubt they will heed to because the girl's father must have benefited from others when it was their turn.They will ask him "Now it's your daughters turn you don't want them to benefit abi?"
what u stated is true

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? / True Confession: I Caught My Uncle’s Wife Having Sex With The Gateman / In One Word Describe The Relationship With Your Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.