Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Do We Need An Independent Governing Council? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Need An Independent Governing Council? (498 Views)

Jega Assumes Office As PLASU Governing Council Chairman / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission / Salisu Buhari Appointed Into UNN Governing Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do We Need An Independent Governing Council? by bestofthisyear(m): 7:22am On Jun 29, 2012
I've always heard stories about my grandfather and how he was a well respected elder in the village and many people brought their disputes to him to decide the outcome because he was known to tell it like it is and not take sides for any reason or sentiment.
With the level of corruption that we see in the justice system now, I don't think there are too many people who have faith in any of rulings passed by courts these days.
So I ask, how plausible is it to have an independent governing board, made up of well respected men/women whose reputation precedes them from different regions of Nigeria (Chinua Achebe-East, Wole Soyinka-West etc.) to credibly handle final decisions on strictly "special interest" and controversial matters that affect the majority in Nigeria like the fuel subsidy controversy and other like matters?
They would not have any direct influence in legislation ie. passing laws and such but when it comes to matters that affect the majority of the population we would turn to them to have a heavy influence on the direction the country goes in particular matters.

Your thoughts?

(1) (Reply)

Boko Vz Federal / 3rd Mainland Bridge To Be Shut On Sunday / The Bride Of Nigerian Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.