Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S (15726 Views)

"Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian / Baby With Two Horns Born In Osun (graphic Photos) / Conjoined Twins Born In Abuja To Unemployed Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by NwaNimo1(m): 6:32pm On Jun 29, 2012
The world's first geneticallymodified humans have been created, it was revealed last night.
The disclosure that 30 healthy babies were born after a series of experiments in the United States provoked another furious debate about ethics.

So far, two of the babies have been tested and have been found to contain genes from three 'parents'.
Fifteen of the children were born in the past three years as a result of one experimental programme at the Institute for Reproductive Medicine and Science of St Barnabas in New Jersey.

The babies were born to women who had problems conceiving. Extra genes from a female donor were inserted into their eggs before they were fertilised in an attempt to enable them to conceive.
Genetic fingerprint tests on two one-year- old children confirm that they have inherited DNA from three adults --two women and one man.

The fact that the children have inherited the extra genes and incorporated them into their 'germline' means that they will, in turn, be able to pass them on to their own offspring.
Altering the human germline - in effect tinkering with the very make-up of our species - is a technique shunned by the vast majority of the world's scientists.

Geneticists fear that one day this method could be used to create new races of humans with extra, desired characteristics such as strength or high intelligence.

Writing in the journal Human Reproduction, the researchers, led by fertility pioneer Professor Jacques Cohen, say that this 'is the first case of human germline genetic modification resulting in normal healthy children'.
Some experts severely criticised the experiments. Lord Winston, of the Hammersmith Hospital in West London, told the BBC yesterday: 'Regarding the treat-ment of the infertile, there is no evidence that this technique is worth doing . . . I am very surprised that it was even carried out at this stage. It would certainly not be allowed in Britain.'

John Smeaton, national director of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, said: 'One has tremendous sympathy for couples who suffer infertility problems. But this seems to be a further illustration of the fact that the whole process of in vitro fertilisation as a means of conceiving babies leads to babies being regarded as objects on a production line.

'It is a further and very worrying step down the wrong road for humanity.' Professor Cohen and his colleagues diagnosed that the women were infertile because they had defects in tiny structures in their egg cells, called mitochondria.

They took eggs from donors and, using a fine needle, sucked some of the internal material - containing 'healthy' mitochondria - and injected it into eggs from the women wanting to conceive.
Because mitochondria contain genes, the babies resulting from the treatment have inherited DNA from both women. These genes can now be passed down the germline along the maternal line.

A spokesman for the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), which regulates 'assisted reproduction' technology in Britain, said that it would not license the technique here because it involved altering the germline.
Jacques Cohen is regarded as a brilliant but controversial scientist who has pushed the boundaries of assisted reproduction technologies.

He developed a technique which allows infertile men to have their own children, by injecting sperm DNA straight into the egg in the lab.

Prior to this, only infertile women were able to conceive using IVF. Last year, Professor Cohen said that his expertise would allow him to clone children --a prospect treated with horror by the mainstream scientific community.
'It would be an afternoon's work for one of my students,' he said, adding that he had been approached by 'at least three' individuals wishing to create a cloned child, but had turned down their requests.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-43767/Worlds-GM-babies-born.html#ixzz1z7a4wUpK

1 Like

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Mandelaguy(m): 6:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
Na wah o! People are trying to play God,soon,all we used to watch in movies that were horror may happen soon.

1 Like

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by dasparrow: 6:56pm On Jun 29, 2012
Mandelaguy: Na wah o! People are trying to play God,soon,all we used to watch in movies that were horror may happen soon.

Exactly!

1 Like

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by member10: 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2012
[size=13pt]guys I am looking for neodymium magnets, any ideas? Thanks.[/size]
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 29, 2012
As man is, God once was, as God is, man may be. We are gods, and children of the most high God. Ride on great scientist. Let cloning begin....I need my designer baby.

3 Likes

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 29, 2012
Hmmm
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Teefabs(m): 8:43pm On Jun 29, 2012
Clone child na wa o, so d baby will have different parts like clone computer.d end has come
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 29, 2012
Geneticists fear that one day this method could be used to create new races of humans with extra, desired characteristics such as strength or high intelligence.

It's such a silly idea to profess existence of God.
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by denitro(m): 8:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
Billyonaire: As man is, God once was, as God is, man may be. We are gods, and children of the most high God. Ride on great scientist. Let cloning begin....I need my designer baby.

Classic lds doctrine... You rock man

1 Like

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 29, 2012
'Incredible Hulks' becomin really real. God save us o. Ethics is out of d way in USA, all manners of tinz starts 4rm there.
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by snthesis(m): 8:51pm On Jun 29, 2012
bayooooooo:

"a fool says in his heart, there's no God"

17 Likes

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2012
snthesis:
"a fool says in his heart, there's no God"

Where is that your so called God if I can synthesis humans in my laboratory? Will my synthesized baby tell me there is God?
A dullard says in his heart there is God!

2 Likes

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by martyns303(m): 9:03pm On Jun 29, 2012
"a new race of humans" we already have religious, racial and ethical wars.
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 29, 2012
And soon, superman will be real!
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by gegee(m): 9:11pm On Jun 29, 2012
bayooooooo:

Where is that your so called God if I can synthesis humans in my laboratory? Will my synthesized baby tell me there is God?
. The heart of man is deceitful and desperately wicked

5 Likes

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 29, 2012
gegee: . The heart of man is deceitful and desperately wicked

Who can tell? grin grin grin
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by obelisk(m): 9:22pm On Jun 29, 2012
the earlier we create a more intelligent species the better. This present stupidity may be the end of us soon.

3 Likes

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by okparadamian(f): 9:23pm On Jun 29, 2012
eeeemmm Oyibo i dey hail oooo,after God na u pple
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by ArQueBusieR(m): 9:41pm On Jun 29, 2012
This will not end well. I can see the future already.
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by phreakabit(m): 9:43pm On Jun 29, 2012
This isn't going to end well. . ..

Edit: WTF ArQueBusieR! Did you read my mind?!!!! shocked
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
phreakabit: This isn't going to end well. . ..

ArQueBusieR: This will not end well. I can see the future already.

The future is rosy!
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by kutchs: 9:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
bayooooooo:

Can you prove the non existence of God?

1 Like

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Blackteeth(m): 9:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
bayooooooo:

what do you mean by "synthesize humans in my laboratory"? If you synthesize a human from scratch starting from manufacturing an egg and sperm cell from simple elements then I will join your chorus to sing God doesnt exist.

11 Likes

Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Skii(m): 9:47pm On Jun 29, 2012
Why didn't they just genetically modify or enhance the capability of the women with the fertilization issues to enable them conceive?
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 29, 2012
kutchs: Can you prove the non existence of God?

There is nothing to prove. It does not exist!
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 29, 2012
Blackteeth: what do you mean by "synthesize humans in my laboratory"? If you synthesize a human from scratch starting from manufacturing an egg and sperm cell from simple elements then I will join your chorus to sing God doesnt exist.

You won't believe it until I synthesize a more intelligent being to take over your job.
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by logica(m): 9:50pm On Jun 29, 2012
Mandelaguy: Na wah o! People are trying to play God,soon.
Surely, God will not allow humans to play God or will he? It may just be that you are "God" after all since you think for "him".
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by agiboma(f): 9:50pm On Jun 29, 2012
shocked shocked shocked @ post
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Neoviper147: 9:51pm On Jun 29, 2012
Thank God, I can now clone a wife for myself...Naija girls don too Bleep. Their pussy don over wide and leaking...I love science. undecided undecided undecided
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2012
Neoviper147: Thank God, I can now clone a wife for myself...Naija girls don too Bleep. Their pussy don over wideand leaking...I love science. undecided undecided undecided

Don't worry, we will introduce a superior gene that will make it very tight!
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Neoviper147: 9:54pm On Jun 29, 2012
I wish to clone Rihana as a wify... grin
Re: World's First Genetically-modified Babies Born In The U.S by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 29, 2012
Neoviper147: I wish to clone Rihana as a wify... grin
Rude boy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Airport Authorities Announce New Measures For Ebola / How Do You View Fat People? / COVID-19 Update For September 30 2020 In Nigeria - (4,410 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.