Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,224 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

If U Are So African, Y Do U Speak And Write In English And Use Their Inventions? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If U Are So African, Y Do U Speak And Write In English And Use Their Inventions? (467 Views)

T.Y. Danjuma Wants Dokubo-Asari, Tompolo, Others Arrested / How Do You Feel When Some People Come To Nairaland And Write GEJ Till 2019 / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If U Are So African, Y Do U Speak And Write In English And Use Their Inventions? by bilms(m): 12:36pm On Jul 01, 2012
If you are so African, why do you speak and write in English and use their inventions? I've been asked.

Well, I've been asked these rather dumb questions and mind you I choose my words carefully.

But I'll just share a response I've had before and add a few lines.
1. On Language:

"When the chips are down, religious brigade will use any excuse no matter how stupid to try and save face. This is a common one: Many say why do I speak their language. To which I respond that it's simply a lingua franca. If I spoke Yoruba, which I speak fluently btw, just the Yoruba folks and those that might have learnt it will understand, that limits my audience. If I choose Igbo same thing and even Yoruba folks might complain as to why I'm speaking the Igbo man's language and not mine. So when a lingua franca is chosen to address all and sundry, African and non African, they still find that hard to comprehend!

But an Igbo man after asking this question to which I responded similarly to the above statement, couldn't say anything more, went to one of my posts and commented in Igbo. Which I do appreciate, but would have appreciated more if the same religious Igbo man followed gods that spoke Igbo and not Hebrew! He has left his Igbo speaking gods and tagged along with the foreigners and preaching to us about some fallacy! WHAT HYPOCRISY!" - Teekay Akin

2. On ''their'' inventions:

Like it's widely reported in all aspects of life - humanity and civilisation started in Africa.
Africa is the foundation on which every aspect of humanity got it's flourishing.

So there is nothing like ''their'' inventions!

I'll go from this other angle:
Show me one so called invention that hasn't got Africa in it - from intelligence, to foundation, to resources, to labour etc. Show me one and I'll happily throw that away!

Now also tell that to the white man or Arab you are enslaved to and let's wee what they are left with!

Simple as!

By Teekay Akin [Akin Adeseye]

(1) (Reply)

Absolutely Pointless To Overhype What Happened Between The President And The Oba / A Word For President Goodluck Jonathan / What If ANPP Is Declared As The Winner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.