Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income (29268 Views)

Syria Was A Major Source Of Tension Between Turkey / What If:imagine Northern Nigeria As The Major Source Of Nigerians Revenue / Diasporans Contribute More To Nigeria's GDP Than 34 Of Its 36 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:03am On Jul 06, 2012
manny4life:

Dude, contributing what exactly? GDP or Revenues, which?

I've always maintained that OIL contributes about 72% of Nigeria's Revenues, but contributes about 15% of Nigeria's GDP. What part of it are you confused about?

With regards to the U.S. reducing purchase volume, isn't it common sense that if your major buyer reduced about 50% of their purchase from you, revenues will decline? Same rule applies, U.S. reduces purchase volume, Nigeria has to export to Asia to meet up revenue benchmark else they'll run deficit and can't pay their bills.
Lol... shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by OAM4J: 2:03am On Jul 06, 2012
PhysicsQED:

This is true.

But I think the reason people get so annoyed about being told that they're living off of oil is because they know that without oil they wouldn't "be Somalia" like some people are claiming (well, actually, maybe much of the North would be Somalia) and they know that there are many successful countries that don't rely on oil. They are right to question the exaggerated picture being painted of oil keeping them from Somalian poverty, but at the same time they should acknowledge that oil contributes majorly to the development of all regions of Nigeria. I don't know why this last part seems so hard to do.

Even with the right leadership, the Northern part of Nigeria will never become Somalia. Most of our leaders became lazy to look out for other source of income because they are too comfortable with oil money from Abuja majority of which are not even spent for the people.

Stop the oil money 'handout', and let serious leaders emerge and you see even the Northern part turning out better than it is after a while.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by manny4life(m): 2:04am On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: It contributes close to 90% revenue and 70% of the GDP!

On both case, brother YOU LIE...

I've actually reviewed archived documents from FMF (Federal Ministry of Finance) about the Revenue profile, and in no damn way does oil contribute 90%. Talk about 70% of GDP, dude, are you really serious? So I guess, Healthcare, Insurance, Retail, Real Estate, Agriculture, Mining, Manufacturing, Banking, Services, Hospitality, Entertainment, and the list is endless are all made up of 30%? Dude, get your fact straight man.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by manny4life(m): 2:06am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

. . . and where did you get that from?

Nna, help me ask am o,

all4naija: Lol... shocked lipsrsealed

Your problem is that you use this emoticons without saying anything. Dude, seriously, QUIT IT.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:07am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

CIA fact file is a good source stating 90% revenue. While Africa news journal put it 40% contribution to GDP. Looking at the prevailing rate of exchange in international market, the nominal GDP contribution of oil to Nigerian economy is as high as 70%.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by OAM4J: 2:07am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

Me sef wonder o. Voodoo Economics I guess.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:08am On Jul 06, 2012
@ OP

Without petrodollars, how would we finance imports considering that we are an import dependent economy? How would we buy our rice, wheat, fish, sugar, edible oils, electronics, fertilizer, cars, clothes, diesel, pms to mention very few? Without the oil dollars, there would be agonizing inflation as prices of essentials would skyrocket out of the reach of the masses and painful austerity measures would follow. Oil is the lifeblood of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:09am On Jul 06, 2012
manny4life:

Your problem is that you use this emoticons without saying anything. Dude, seriously, QUIT IT.

It is for the simple reason what you stated is related to increasing GDP. I don't know what to say about your argument though!
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Obiagu1(m): 2:09am On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: CIA fact file is a good source stating 90% revenue. While Africa news journal put it 40% contribution to GDP. Looking at the prevailing rate of exchange in international market, the nominal GDP contribution on oil to Nigerian economy is as high as 70%.

If you actually know what GDP is, you'll know it's impossible for oil or any sector in Nigeria to contribute up to 90%.

By the way, post your source.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:11am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

If you actually know what GDP is, you'll know it's impossible for oil or any sector in Nigeria to contribute up to 90%.

Not on GDP dude. On national/government foreign revenue it can be possible.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by manny4life(m): 2:14am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

Me sef have gone through CIA world fact book, did not see anything supporting his theory

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

all4naija: It is for the simple reason what you stated is related to increasing GDP. I don't know what to say about your argument though!

Dude, I'm confused to what you're saying. I'm a lil bamboozled. Help me out again, what is it I said you're disputing?
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Obiagu1(m): 2:16am On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: Not on GDP dude. On national/government foreign revenue it can be possible.

Even 70% of GDP you stated is impossible in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:21am On Jul 06, 2012
manny4life:

Me sef have gone through CIA world fact book, did not see anything supporting his theory

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

Dude, I'm confused to what you're saying. I'm a lil bamboozled. Help me out again, what is it that I said is it that you're disputing?

With regards to the U.S. reducing purchase volume, isn't it common sense that if your major buyer reduced about 50% of their purchase from you, revenues will decline? Same rule applies, U.S. reduces purchase volume, Nigeria has to export to Asia to meet up revenue benchmark else they'll run deficit and can't pay their bills.
Isn't it true that if government revenue is reduced that would definitely have effect on the percentage of GDP? In the 'Laffer Curve' that is possible!
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Obiagu1(m): 2:22am On Jul 06, 2012
Thanks mannylife for the link.

@all4naija, a quick look at "your" CIA fact book.

GDP: $414.5 billion (How much do we make from oil sef?)

GDP - composition by sector:
agriculture: 35.4%
industry: 33.6%
services: 31%

So bros stop arguing!
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by manny4life(m): 2:27am On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija:

Isn't it true that if government revenue is reduced that would definitely have effect on the percentage of GDP? In the 'Laffer Curve' that is possible!

Ok dude, you're confused on a larger scale. Oil sale is an economic activity, reduction in sales will affect revenues. Yes it will definitely affect the % contribution to GDP. However, I'm still of the fact that Oil revenues represent about 72% and Oil GDP is about 15%.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Obiagu1(m): 2:28am On Jul 06, 2012
kalokalo: @ OP

Without petrodollars, how would we finance imports considering that we are an import dependent economy? How would we buy our rice, wheat, fish, sugar, edible oils, electronics, fertilizer, cars, clothes, diesel, pms to mention very few? Without the oil dollars, there would be agonizing inflation as prices of essentials would skyrocket out of the reach of the masses and painful austerity measures would follow. Oil is the lifeblood of Nigeria.

No, oil is Nigeria's vampire!
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nebeuwa(m): 2:30am On Jul 06, 2012
Oh yes the resource curse. Sweet sweet black gold. Few nations have been able to master its true potential.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Beaf: 2:31am On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: Let's take all4naija's 70% of GDP estimate and see where it leads us.

~2 million barrels of oil per day. ~$100 value. ~365 days.

octave:4> 2*1e6*100*365/1e9
ans = 73

So $73 billion economy from just oil exports. Let's say associated oil services add +50% to that. We get to roughly $110 billion.

Now, using all4naija's 70% figure, we get that the total Nigeria economy is $160 billion.

I think the general sense people have is that Nigeria's economy is closer to $250 billion+, not only $160.

So either the economist are vastly overestimating the size of Nigeria's economy....or this 70% estimate produced by all4naija is way too high.

Nigeria earns more than 100 billion dollars from oil and gas per annum.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:34am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1: Thanks mannylife for the link.

@all4naija, a quick look at "your" CIA fact book.

GDP: $414.5 billion (How much do we make from oil sef?)

GDP - composition by sector:
agriculture: 35.4%
industry: 33.6%
services: 31%

So bros stop arguing!
You are not looking at it very well. Check it again.$414.5 billion dollar is GDP(PPP) not nominal.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Obiagu1(m): 2:35am On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: You are not looking at it very well. Check it again.$414.5 billion dollar is GDP(PPP) not nominal.

LMAO! A beg, what's the nominal value?
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:37am On Jul 06, 2012
manny4life:

Ok dude, you're confused on a larger scale. Oil sale is an economic activity, reduction in sales will affect revenues. Yes it will definitely affect the % contribution to GDP. However, I'm still of the fact that Oil revenues represent about 72% and Oil GDP is about 15%.
I am not confused at all! That's your guess work. CIA said 80% government revenue. Other agencies say 40% contributor to GDP and some believe it is as high as 70%. Taking to the poor statistics available in Nigeria, I would opt for the 70% for the encouraging side of things to beef up other sectors!

Can you see I am on the need for Nigeria to diversify its economy?!
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:39am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

LMAO! A beg, what's the nominal value?
About %179 billion dollars
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Obiagu1(m): 2:40am On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: About %179 billion dollars

OK you win. Case closed.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

OK you win. Case closed.
You are very funny! Win what?! We are only arguing. Come on!
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by manny4life(m): 2:53am On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: I am not confused at all! That's your guess work. CIA said 80% government revenue. Other agencies say 40% contributor to GDP and some believe it is as high as 70%. Taking to the poor statistics available in Nigeria, I would opt for the 70% for the encouraging side of things to beef up other sectors!

Can you see I am on the need for Nigeria to diversify its economy?!

There's is no poor statistics, it's you who hasn't taken the time to review the NBS, FMF, stats. No matter how poor it is, it still can be used as a yardstick either way. I'm done with this argument.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by ballabriggs: 2:57am On Jul 06, 2012
This one wey una dey talk na long grammar, dey show data wey una no even know the meaning.

The day wey una FOREX reserve go finish, that day una go know say Amadioha & Egbesu combine done dey punish all of una.

I rest my case, work dey tomorrow.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Beaf: 3:03am On Jul 06, 2012
kalokalo: @ OP

Preach, bro! cool

Oil pays for everything in Nigeria, all amenities, services, utilities etc, police, army, airports, roads, schools, hospitals... It almost pays for the air we breath even.
I keep preaching to people to learn to hold their local politicians to account; reps, LG bosses, governors etc. But would Nigerians hear? They remain deaf and tied to awuf, yet if that "free" money suddenly dries up tomorrow (as it will in a maximum of 10 years) then Somalia will look like Las Vegas to us, parents will eat their babies, husbands would kill their wives to eat... It will be dire, lights out, cataclysmic, total doomsday.

Let each and every one of us demand local delivery and accountability from our LG's, reps, states etc. Let us all preach true federalism with fevered vigour, that is our only hope for a bright future.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by manny4life(m): 3:19am On Jul 06, 2012
An advice coming from someone who said a risk manager performs macroeconomic analysis, that really means a lot. cheesy cheesy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by IleIfe2(m): 3:39am On Jul 06, 2012
The stats is fraudulent and misleading. if oil stops running today Naija is finished.
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by miky(m): 3:46am On Jul 06, 2012
ballabriggs: This is erroneous.

Crude oil contributes over 70% of Nigeria's foreign exchange. For an import dependent economy, Oil is the life wire of the economy.

Secondly, it is the earnings from oil which drives other activities that form the component of GDP.

Don't be deceived, take away the oil and your economy is doomed.

You can't get the true picture by mere viewing such data without an analysis.

that said take away agriculture and we would be more doomed.. in my opinion no industry should contribute more than 10% for a really diversified economy
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by antitpiah: 4:02am On Jul 06, 2012
Katsumoto:

So basically, all countries only earn forex from trade; if we follow that line of reasoning what happens to countries that have negative trade deficits? If a country is importing more than it is exporting, where is it getting its forex from if forex is only gotten from trade? Which then leads to the next issue you raised, depletion of reserves and then inflation, dollarization etc.

Since we know that a majority of nations run deficit trade balances, shouldn't a majority of nations have some form of economic crisis if we follow your argument?

With regards to Argentina, its problems were caused by pegging, high levels of debts and reduced income from exports as a result of the overvalued Peso. Governments don't borrow to shore up reserves; in fact, no one will lend you money to shore up your reserves.

See below

'The Argentine economic crisis during the early 2000’s was the result of a decision, by one of their presidents named Carlos Menem (1991), to peg the Argentine Peso to the U.S. Dollar. The reason for this was to produce financial stability for his country by placing a one-to- one parity between the two currencies. Another factor that contributed to this turmoil was the fact that the government controlled the flow of currency based on inflow of U.S. Dollars that came from investments and so the Argentine economy accelerated at a much faster pace than anticipated. The unregulated currency became overvalued thus putting their country at a disadvantage by making their exports more expensive and forcing them to import more goods. The situation only worsened when the local governments kept spending money frivolously without regard as to how much they were borrowing. Within time the government saw it necessary to reduce the amount of spending to reduce the amount of imports they country bought and to keep the level of debt small but by that time it was too late.'

http://www.thecsem.org/content/argentine-currency-crisis

Egbon mi, you run comot that thread. You don dey post your usual trash for hear again. grin grin grin

Yoruba vs Ibo local champion grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income by Nobody: 4:12am On Jul 06, 2012
Ile-Ife:
The stats is fraudulent and misleading. if oil stops running today Naija is finished.
I endorse your post.

How many states can survive just three months without federal allocation? What's that allocation if not petrodollars?

If that statistics together with breakdown figures were correct, it would reflect in our politics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Boko Haram Calls For Election Boycott, Jonathan Seeks US Help / Obasanjo Coalition For Nigeria: Mark, Makarfi, Lamido, Others Weigh Options / Sowore Tackles Peter Obi: Labour Party Is An Orphanage For Homeless Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.