Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,105 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos (9019 Views)

President Jonathan Campaigns In Jos, Plateau State (live Pictures) / People In Jos Climb Mast Just To Listen To Buhari During Campaign / Man Jailed For 45yrs For Stealing Aregbesola’s Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 07, 2012
A Chief Magistrates Court in Kasur-Nama area of Jos on Thursday sentenced a man identified as Abdulrazak Saidu to three months imprisonment for being idle.

Prosecutor Yahaya Adamu had told the court that Saidu, the 28 year old man who claimed he hailed from Jigawa, was found idling away and arrested in Mangu Local Government area on February 7, 2012.

The accused was first arraigned before the court on February 20 and he pleaded not guilty to the charge of idleness.

Adamu said the offence contravened Section 405 of the Penal Code Law.

“My Lord, we found him running around doing nothing in Mangu town and after he could not give any satisfactory account of himself, we arrested him and charged him to court,’’ Adamu said.

Saidu, trying to defend himself disclosed that he is a farmer but doesn’t possess any farm land, and he came to Plateau state to see an Islamic cleric.

http://www.citizensplatform.net/2012/07/man-jailed-for-being-idle-in-jos/
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 07, 2012
Hian!!! Na wa o... Those area boys wey dey Mushin nko?

2 Likes

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Ejine(m): 8:43am On Jul 07, 2012
The judge himself should also be arrested for being retarrded.

8 Likes

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 07, 2012
in a normal society this would have been OK!

2 Likes

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by achi4u(m): 9:39am On Jul 07, 2012
then give him a job

1 Like

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Jakumo(m): 9:51am On Jul 07, 2012
HNosegbe: A Chief Magistrates Court in Kasur-Nama area of Jos on Thursday sentenced a man identified as Abdulrazak Saidu to three months imprisonment for being idle.

Prosecutor Yahaya Adamu had told the court that Saidu, the 28 year old man who claimed he hailed from Jigawa, was found idling away and arrested in Mangu Local Government area on February 7, 2012.

The accused was first arraigned before the court on February 20 and he pleaded not guilty to the charge of idleness.

Adamu said the offence contravened Section 405 of the Penal Code Law.

“My Lord, we found him running around doing nothing in Mangu town and after he could not give any satisfactory account of himself, we arrested him and charged him to court,’’ Adamu said. Ha ha ha ha ha he couldn't give account of why he was running about. I say he was jogging ha ha ha.

Saidu, trying to defend himself disclosed that he is a farmer but doesn’t possess any farm land, and he came to Plateau state to see an Islamic cleric.

http://www.citizensplatform.net/2012/07/man-jailed-for-being-idle-in-jos/

Ha ha great story. "He couldn't give any SATISFACTORY account of why he was running about doing nothing", will go down as one of my favourite quotes of all time. Playing Devils Advocate, I suggest to the court that the accused was ACTIVELY engaged in jogging, as ordered by his doctor ha ha ha.

Joking aside, I can think of one or two writers here in the Nairaland forum that deserve arrest and jail for being idle and writing crap. Of course, there should be NO leniency in the sentencing of chronically idle internet writers, who deserve at least 7 years with hard labor breaking quarry rocks with hammers, as unwilling guests of the government, so as to serve as a deterrent to others.

7 Likes

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by badesco(m): 10:37am On Jul 07, 2012
When does idleness become a crime in Nigerian? I thinks the judge himself should be fired immediately because he had committed a blunder in law.
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by ndsmartt(m): 10:40am On Jul 07, 2012
hohohohohohoho.....see me laughing in tongues ooo! wonders shall neva end.. So unemployment is now a crime, punishable under kangaroo court....shai!
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 07, 2012
Seems dis judge don't have work to do! There are many court cases pending and all they do is to prosecute every tom d**k and harry! Smh!!

1 Like

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by mrman2(m): 10:46am On Jul 07, 2012
Some strange judgements have been coming out of Nigeria lately. Sentencing people to death for stealing 4000naira, for idleness etc who will judge these mfking jugdes?
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by mridontry(m): 10:47am On Jul 07, 2012
thats crazily weird
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 07, 2012
That judge deserves to be sodomised with a very sharp object. Onukwu odeku!

1 Like

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Skoopy(m): 10:49am On Jul 07, 2012
Do we have human right LAYERS?
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 07, 2012
This country is finished. When a judge has never read the constitution and has no idea of the penal code, then you know we're in a big, fat, hot mess. I'd like to know when idleness became an offence punishable by law.
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Jabioro: 10:53am On Jul 07, 2012
OMG! This get me amused,d judge also has idle brain.He should read d book "The much l do about idleness" 2 see if idleness is crime or d way of rest or leisuring.
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by tiarabubu: 10:53am On Jul 07, 2012
The problem is NOT the judge but the law. It's part of colonial laws that nigeria inherited and the national assembly is busy "farouking", and "otedollaring" to care to amend.

Did you know that that "wandering" is an offence? It's in our laws and I have read the police have used it to haul hapless people to jail. It is clearly against freedom of movement guaranteed in the constitution but law makers need to review these laws and bring them into conformity with the present trend. You can't fault the police for using it.

The judge should have given him a light fine. Except of course given that the security situation in jos is such that the man's inability to explain himself gave rise to suspicion and the police could get nothing to hold him with except this colonial law. I don't see justice in this matter.

Even in the US there are bizzare colonial laws that even say which day of the week you couldn't cut your hair. Of course, these are not in use and are usually the butt of jokes now

5 Likes

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by maigaskiya1: 10:53am On Jul 07, 2012
achi4u: then give him a job
guys i dnt se anytn wrong wit dat judgement.dats y we cal 4 true fedralism,let every state gve judgements basd on dia laws.plateau state hs sufrd frm ds terorist nd wil nt gve a chance.imagne d man cliamg 2 be a farmer nd hs no farm nd ws lokng 4 an islamic cleric,dnt u smel boko haramic theory

3 Likes

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by tiarabubu: 10:56am On Jul 07, 2012
mai gaskiya: guys i dnt se anytn wrong wit dat judgement.dats y we cal 4 true fedralism,let every state gve judgements basd on dia laws. plateau state hs sufrd frm ds terorist nd wil nt gve a chance.imagne d man cliamg 2 be a farmer nd hs no farm nd ws lokng 4 an islamic cleric,dnt u smel boko haramic theory

True. I agree that's a strong possibility
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Lordave: 11:02am On Jul 07, 2012
If idleness is really a crime, then Kirikiri awaits most of us here.

1 Like

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by garba(m): 11:06am On Jul 07, 2012
how about giving unemployment benefits to his type? Where is the 'demon-crazy' now..... This is absurd. Du!!!

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 07, 2012
Kolo man in the judiciary. The judge need to be subjected to serious psychiatric test to ascertain his level of mental wellness. Why didn't he offer the man a job and wait for the man to reject his offer before passing his judgement? Fo.olish judge!
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by adilbee(m): 11:07am On Jul 07, 2012
Bull-Shirt!!!
That's the real stupidness, this are part of the things that creat such groups like Boko Haram.
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Pakavy(m): 11:09am On Jul 07, 2012
and members of d senate shuld b arrested and jailed as well because they r passively idle
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by SpiritofOkija(m): 11:11am On Jul 07, 2012
Omo unemployed grads for jos are in deep shiit
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Afam4eva(m): 11:15am On Jul 07, 2012
Basket mouth dem go soon become redundant as the comedy in this country is out of this world. How come all the unemployed graduates are still walking free? Go get a job now or end up in prison...lmao
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by ZUBY77(m): 11:31am On Jul 07, 2012
hahahaha, half of germans who depend on social security should be in jail then
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by brownlord: 11:32am On Jul 07, 2012
I support them on this, arrest and kill all the Islamic youth that are roaming the street, they are the boko haram and committing nuisance, abeg kill of them, their elders cannot provide legitimate job yet engage them in destroying and killing innocent citizen
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Lakayana: 11:35am On Jul 07, 2012
He was observing where to bomb next they should not just jail him they should interrogate him properly he will reveal he names of their leaders.

1 Like

Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by hassymo5(m): 11:38am On Jul 07, 2012
AFTER BANNING OKADA, WHAT DO YOU WANT ALL THESE YOUNG PEOPLE TO DO AGAIN, E NEVER START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Exponental(m): 11:38am On Jul 07, 2012
He could av a hidden agenda but, would d court av preferred if he is a BH member?
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by gbadexy(m): 11:39am On Jul 07, 2012
I think they should have charged him for loitering or something. In a sense, such people without any visible aim and who claimed he came to see a cleric after having being found out that he has no farm there could be a terrorist casing the joint for future nefarious activity.
The guy should thank his star, it was in the same jos that a judge sentenced someone to death for robbing N2000!
Re: Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos by Havilah93(m): 11:45am On Jul 07, 2012
huh?? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N4.7bn: Obanikoro Returns N134m To EFCC ….says I’ll Repay N450m In 2017 / How P&ID Tried To Scam The Nigerian Government By PoliticsNGR.com / SDP Executives, 4000 Other Members Defect To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.