Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,272 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill (10826 Views)

Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Assembly Of God Church Blasts Nollywood Stars Who Endorse Coca Cola (Photo) / Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by thehomer: 3:01pm On Jul 07, 2012
Why not make them available to medical schools in the country to help in educating the next generation of medical students?
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by funshybam(m): 3:01pm On Jul 07, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]
texazzpete: I think Cremation makes more sense...you get to save land that would otherwise have been 'condemned' as cemetaries.

I wonder why churches - that preach about eternal life and leaving our 'carnal' and 'earthly' bodies behind - should be concerned about what happens to the discarded bodies.

I WONDER OOO grin
texazzpete: I think Cremation makes more sense...you get to save land that would otherwise have been 'condemned' as cemetaries.

I wonder why churches - that preach about eternal life and leaving our 'carnal' and 'earthly' bodies behind - should be concerned about what happens to the discarded bodies.

I WONDER OOO. Hmmm
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by thaira(f): 3:37pm On Jul 07, 2012
If anyone disrespects their dead enough to leave their corpse in a mortuary for years, then let government rest their bodies in whichever way comes cheaper. Do you know how many of these bodies get donated to medical research? I don't either but I remember in 2006 when a radio station in Ibadan ran a public service announcement for about a month giving deadline for old corpses to be claimed or else... I think the catholic church should donate land and resources to the state government if they are so much against it. If I were as rich as the catholic church, that's what I would do.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ACM10: 4:02pm On Jul 07, 2012
thehomer: Why not make them available to medical schools in the country to help in educating the next generation of medical students?

Have u ever visited Anatomy department of any medical school in Nigeria? In case u've never paid a visit, they are overflowing with corpses/cadavers. To the extent that they are selective on the type of corpse to accept. Most only accept the corpse of suspected criminals who are executed through extrajudicial or judicial means, cos those corpese has lower chance of being diseased. They hardly accept corpses of those who died of known pathology, especially the ones that can be transmitted. Though they are aware that formalin treatment will almost sterilize the cadaver. But they almost never take that risk. Cos doing so will expose their students to risk.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by qwest(m): 4:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
let them put their money where their cheap talk is by paying for the burials and the needed land and coffins.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by nagoma(m): 5:03pm On Jul 07, 2012
It is a real problem as land is limited. Could Fashola sign an agreement with the Borno state Governor to use the expense of dry land in that state as a cemetery for a fee?
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by tete7000(m): 5:31pm On Jul 07, 2012
israel ben-zion:
The book of Ecclesiastes says d dead know nothing and feel nothing. So it doesn't matter what u do to their body. And d Bible already condemns dis flesh as corrupt: it cannot enter heaven in this form at all and so is useless once a person dies. What then is d hullabaloo all abt?
And why is d Catholic Church clergyman misleading people into believing that the dead 'rest in peace', thereby inferring that some might not rest in peace? They know and feel nothing.
A dead man is a void who will remain a void until he is called up for judgment. Moreso, the flesh will rot after a few weeks of decomposition. What has d clergyman done with all d dead bodies buried? Do they dance?

Conclusion: More public campaign on d issue shd be carried out and voluntary cremation encouraged. We place emphasis a lot on d wrong things.
Every society has its culture and if our culture does not support cremation, you dont just wake up and change things. Besides the bible you coated does no support cremation or why was Jesus ceremoniously buried and not cremated. Man you lack scriptural knowledge to speak on this issue.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by dekung(m): 5:50pm On Jul 07, 2012
Zi: The Catholic Church should rather ask the state govt to hand over the corpses to them, so the can carry out the 'proper' burial. The morgues are too full!
What is wrong with this Catholic people for crying out loud? The same way they told Alfred Blalock and Vivien Thomas not to perform the first ever open heart surgery way back in the 40s because, according to them, the heart is very Sacred. Today the world is better off because Blalock and the Johns Hopkings Hospital called their bluff. If they do not want people to be cremated they (catholic church) should go ahead and build motuaries to keep unclaimed corpses. When they asked the govt to build affordable mortuaries were they going to give the money for the project? This same catholic church is busy fighting the govt of Phillipine for trying to legalise the use of contraceptive in order to check excessive maternity in the poorest families in Manilla. They do not care about the physical/environmental impact of govt decisions, all they care about bible. The bill said valauntary and unclaimed cremation, is that so hard? Lagos state govt should call their bluff and decongest the mortuaries. History has shown that the world would be better of for it if the open heart surgery is anything to go by.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by KINGwax(m): 5:59pm On Jul 07, 2012
See, what's d fuse? Didn't u all say lagos aint for anyone? If your people die, go bury it in your state! Or are u part o' 'em people who won't claim 'em dead?
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Exponental(m): 6:06pm On Jul 07, 2012
Ozone layer depletion!
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by adefash(m): 6:19pm On Jul 07, 2012
Castos: The bishop is frankly right. I wonder why Lagos is such a mess, any abnormality goes.
So what should be done to abandoned corpse in government owned hospitals? to hand them over to those who buy human parts?
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by thehomer: 6:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
ACM10:

Have u ever visited Anatomy department of any medical school in Nigeria? In case u've never paid a visit, they are overflowing with corpses/cadavers. To the extent that they are selective on the type of corpse to accept. Most only accept the corpse of suspected criminals who are executed through extrajudicial or judicial means, cos those corpese has lower chance of being diseased. They hardly accept corpses of those who died of known pathology, especially the ones that can be transmitted. Though they are aware that formalin treatment will almost sterilize the cadaver. But they almost never take that risk. Cos doing so will expose their students to risk.

Actually, they're not overflowing with cadavers. You can follow [url=http://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=shortage+of+cadavers+Nigeria&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unilorin.edu.ng%2Fpublications%2Fakinolaob%2FAKINOLA_1.pdf&ei=Pm74T7zLH8GC2AXPvZX4Bg&usg=AFQjCNHaF-KMvBq-kWrYK6i4YKAXVj5UsA&cad=rja]this link (.pdf)[/url] to a recent paper that agrees with what that.
Note that I'm not saying that all the bodies have to be sent to these schools just that the bodies that qualify to be sent, should be sent since the only information we have here is that these bodies are unclaimed.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by papadenzel(m): 6:32pm On Jul 07, 2012
Can the house of assembly members also sign while passing the bill that their own corpses should be cremated when they die to also avoid so much cost and waste of space? If they can, then this bill is good to go!
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by stson: 7:03pm On Jul 07, 2012
the lawmaker should show dat nothing is wrong with cremating by writing in their will 2 be cremated wen they die as a sign of leadership by example,if they think the dead do not deserved 2 be buried

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by cold(m): 7:17pm On Jul 07, 2012
It clearly states voluntary.The keyword there being VOLUNTARY.Besides,if the families of the deceased refuse to retrieve their corpses for reasons best known to them,then they shouldn't feel aghast if the government decides to treat it the best way they deem fit
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by elyesh(m): 8:00pm On Jul 07, 2012
Will u pls like ur body 2 be burnt wen u die?
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by collinsJn(m): 8:08pm On Jul 07, 2012
elyesh: Will u pls like ur body 2 be burnt wen u die?

This Grammar Is Wot We Call Shelling.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by mayorjo: 9:24pm On Jul 07, 2012
This issue of cremation is of no good, cosz, after dat whatz nxt 2 do but to dispose. And ending it up into d sea brings out no point. But y not burry n 4get about it.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by 3kay945(m): 10:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
elyesh: Will u pls like ur body 2 be burnt wen u die?
I don't care what happens to my body when am gone.... didn't you get it? no more land to be wasted on dead body equally means non living thing.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by esere826: 10:11pm On Jul 07, 2012
mayorjo: This issue of cremation is of no good, cosz, after dat whatz nxt 2 do but to dispose. And ending it up into d sea brings out no point. But y not burry n 4get about it.

The ashes are not neccesarily thrown into the sea, neither do you have to barbecue the deceased over some firewood as some cultures do. Cremetation can be done in special purpose built machines, and the ashes buried in soil. Space is consequently saved, and with limited aesthetics and health harzrds.
stson: the lawmaker should show dat nothing is wrong with cremating by writing in their will 2 be cremated wen they die as a sign of leadership by example,if they think the dead do not deserved 2 be buried

Offcourse the 'rich' in Nigeria wont feel comfortable with this suggestion, ...But this is the clincher. the government desires to save money by cremating, in order words, they desire to have funds available for other pursuits.

They could simply do some social engineering by taxing any 'full body' burials that take place in lagos, no matter the premises that it is done. Probably 1 miilion naira per person. this could raise considerable funds from the rich who would be scared of cremation after death, while going ahead to cremate corpses that are not retrieved.

To acheive this, simply enact a law that says that any corps that is taken away from the mortuary would be levied the amount, and if corpses are not taken away after a certain timeline, they wld be cremated. ...shikena
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jul 07, 2012
lipsrsealed whats with the catholic? they are against abortion saying they are pro-life as if those who want abortion legalised are anti-life. now the lagos state govt. has stated cogent reasons why they are opting for cremation, the catholic is kicking against it without sugessting a viable alternative. i think its hihg time the catholic rest its rascality on issues that bothers on life and death especially when it affects those who are not their members. they cant control evry aspect of human life. we shuld respect d dead by burying them becos nigeria and the catholic are more rspectfull countries dat practise cremation. we have seen where religion and respect for the dead has brought us.... i laf in africa jst as i weep for nigeria. sadwhats with the catholic? they are against abortion saying they are pro-life as if those who want abortion legalised are anti-life. now the lagos state govt. has stated cogent reasons why they are opting for cremation, the catholic is kicking against it without sugessting a viable alternative. i think its hihg time the catholic rest its rascality on issues that bothers on life and death especially when it affects those who are not their members. they cant control evry aspect of human life. we shuld respect d dead by burying them becos nigeria and the catholic are more rspectfull countries dat practise cremation. we have seen where religion and respect for the dead has brought us.... i laf in africa jst as i weep for nigeria.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by israelbenzion: 12:01am On Jul 08, 2012
tete7000: Every society has its culture and if our culture does not support cremation, you dont just wake up and change things. Besides the bible you coated does no support cremation or why was Jesus ceremoniously buried and not cremated. Man you lack scriptural knowledge to speak on this issue.

Man who has spiritual knowledge, answa mi dis:
1. Who made d Catholic Church d custodian of Lagosians culture?
2. Why r u quick to assume that all d corpses were Christians wen they lived? Will d Catholic Church also speak for d pagans and Muslims and Buddhists amongst the corpses?

Culture evolves. Let us embrac this new culture.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by putro(m): 12:19am On Jul 08, 2012
What did the catholic say is wrong with cremation. It's quite unfortunate when religion condemns ideas with reason or biblical quotations condemning an act,honestly it's funny when the church says leave the dead to rest in peace, It is not the soul again that rest in peace.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by blackweaver(m): 6:54am On Jul 08, 2012
putro: What did the catholic say is wrong with cremation. It's quite unfortunate when religion condemns ideas with reason or biblical quotations condemning an act,honestly it's funny when the church says leave the dead to rest in peace, It is not the soul again that rest in peace.

forgive me for my ignorance, pls educate me about what passage in the bible speaks against cremation (if there is one)

personally i think it's more of tradition than religion
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 08, 2012
Until Nigerians realize that religion has nothing to do with government. We'll continue to be clueless
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by okwanuzo3(f): 10:30am On Jul 08, 2012
Am i the only one who's concerned about how the ashes will be disposed of.
Hope it won't be in waters from where people drink and fish.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 08, 2012
There are urns for storing the ashes if you don't want to dispose of them.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ndsmartt(m): 12:29pm On Jul 08, 2012
Thats one problm with watching too much indian movies
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by okwanuzo3(f): 12:43pm On Jul 08, 2012
SimonAndal: There are urns for storing the ashes if you don't want to dispose of them.

Where will so many urns be stored?
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ACM10: 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2012
thehomer:

Actually, they're not overflowing with cadavers. You can follow to a recent paper that agrees with what that.
Note that I'm not saying that all the bodies have to be sent to these schools just that the bodies that qualify to be sent, should be sent since the only information we have here is that these bodies are unclaimed.

I've read the link of the .pdf u posted, written by Akinola. I still maintain my ground that most Anatomy dept in Nigeria are overflowing with corpses. When I was in the university, police usually dumps 3 executed criminals(on the average) at our Anatomy department every week. Have ever read any publication by any Anatomy department in Nigeria complaining of acute or chronic shortfall of cadavers?
Prof. Akinola was decrying the absence of practise in which people voluntarily agree to donate their bodies to Anatomical Society on the event of their death as they do in western countries. He's well aware that the present practice of using the body of executed criminals to perform dissections is a deplorable act in developed countries.
I'm only trying to tell you what happens on an informal basis in Nigeria. Have any family recovered the body of their executed family member by the police? NO!
During my Anatomy days, the pattern of execution is the same. We recover bullets from the chest of 99% of our cadavers and 99% of them are males. All of them are young people of below 35yrs.
I'm telling u these things as an eye witness, not as a hearsay. Our Anatomy department has stockpile of cadavers that can serve them for 2yrs. So they are overflowing with corpses.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by kayceekool(m): 2:48pm On Jul 08, 2012
Since when did Nigeria become related to India. If you are a true christian here you will agree with me that this law makers are not. Otherwise how can crimation be the best option to dispose those abandoned or rejected bodies. I think probably they dont study their Bible. They should think twice.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Wisdom For Christians To Lie In Some Situations? / What If Jesus Did Not Resurrect? / Beware Of False Teachers Parading Themselves Here On This Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.