Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill (10819 Views)

Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Assembly Of God Church Blasts Nollywood Stars Who Endorse Coca Cola (Photo) / Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ndsmartt(m): 10:31am On Jul 07, 2012
THE Catholic Church has asked the Lagos State House of Assembly to allow the dead rest in peace by throwing out its proposal to pass a bill legalising voluntary cremation of unclaimed dead bodies in the state-owned mortuaries.

The bill seeking to legalise voluntary cremation of the dead and unclaimed corpses has already scaled the second reading on the floor of the House of Assembly.

Entitled: A bill to legalise voluntary cremation of corpses and unclaimed corpses in Lagos State,’’ the bill was sponsored by the Chairman of the Assembly’s Committee on Health Care Services, Suru Avoseh.

However, in a statement yesterday, the Administrator of the Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, His Eminence, Anthony Cardinal Okogie, said it was totally against any move to legalize cremation or the desecration of human corpse in any guise as it believes in life after death.

Cremation is the process of burning the human corpse to ashes and sprinkling the ashes into the sea as is practised in India by the adherents of Hindus, which is the predominant religion in the country and some other parts of the Asia.

The statement signed on Okogie’s behalf by the Lagos Archdiocesan Director of Social Communications, Very Rev. Monsignor Gabriel Osu, advised the law makers to quickly jettison the idea of legalizing cremation and instead concentrate on building more modern cemeteries to cater for the growing number of unclaimed corpses in the state hospitals.

Okogie’s statement read in part, “The issue of cremation is a very sensitive one because it bothers on our culture, tradition and religion. As Africans, it is against our culture and as Christians it is against our religious beliefs. In the Koran, the respect of the dead is very clear.

They do not allow the corpse to stay long, not to talk of cremation. We believe after life and the need to give the dead proper burial as prescribed in the Bible.

“I do not see any one who would want his corpse or that of loved ones cremated. Already you can see the response of Lagosians during the public hearing. Most of those who spoke are vehemently opposed to it. It is not acceptable at all. My advice is for the law makers to quickly jettison the idea and look for better ways of dealing with unclaimed corpses,”

He then urged the government to build more modern and affordable cemeteries in various parts of the state and rehabilitate the old ones that are already in very bad shapes or condition.

According to him, “It is only in Africa that we have no respect for the dead. Go to Atan and Ikoyi cemeteries, for instance, they have been over-taken by weeds. Security is another issue entirely.The dead deserves to rest in peace.”

While intimating his colleagues on the need to support the cremation bill, Avoseh said it addressed the pathetic state of public mortuaries and challenges being faced by health officials due to shortage of land for mass burial of unclaimed corpses.

Avoseh decried the present situation in which corpses were abandoned in mortuaries for several months, thereby stretching the capacity of the mortuaries to their limits.

He said: “During our visit to the mortuaries as a member of the ad-hoc committee, I was disturbed to see heaps of corpses that were not claimed by their relatives. So, Lagos should once again take the lead in the introduction of this legislation (cremation) in the country.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/catholic-church-blasts-lagos-lawmakers-over-cremation-bill/
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by lafuria1(m): 12:26pm On Jul 07, 2012
the topic of this thread gave me a mini heart attack o. As i see church and blast, fear catch me. Whewww.
I no get say 4 d topic though.

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 07, 2012
They need report it to Rome...so the Pope will deal with the government as they use to generations back!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Castos(m): 12:31pm On Jul 07, 2012
The bishop is frankly right. I wonder why Lagos is such a mess, any abnormality goes.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by marvel10: 12:31pm On Jul 07, 2012
Team Iscariot on this one o....
About 6 years ago, I read an article possibly by World Health Organisation (don't quote me as I am not sure but will dig it out)about how preservatives in foods is causing a nightmare with the decomposition of dead bodies. Clearly, cremations make sense in this instance and of course lack of land. Lagos for example can't house that many dead bodies so it would be the most hygienic way to rest.

Would you dream of buying a house that someone's father or grandfather was buried in? I couldn't watch house of horror as a kid, let alone....

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Castos(m): 12:32pm On Jul 07, 2012
Ranks007: They need report it to Rome...so the Pope will deal with the government as they use to generations back!!! grin grin grin
Will you shut up!

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ACM10: 12:34pm On Jul 07, 2012
There is nothing wrong with the cremation of corpse. Their morgue must be overflowing with unclaimed corpse. Moreover, there is chronic shortage of land to be used as cemetery. So cremation is the best option in this situation
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Castos(m): 12:35pm On Jul 07, 2012
marvel10: Team Iscariot on this one o....
About 6 years ago, I read an article possibly by World Health Organisation (don't quote me as I am not sure but will dig it out)about how preservatives in foods is causing a nightmare with the decomposition of dead bodies. Clearly, cremations make sense in this instance and of course lack of land. Lagos for example can't house that many dead bodies so it would be the most hygienic way to rest.

Would you dream of buying a house that someone's father or grandfather was buried in? I couldn't watch house of horror as a kid, let alone....
Listen, who told you that there is no land to bury the dead. Your openion is clueless

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 07, 2012
;Dwho is to be blam......!
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by texazzpete(m): 12:42pm On Jul 07, 2012
I think Cremation makes more sense...you get to save land that would otherwise have been 'condemned' as cemetaries.

I wonder why churches - that preach about eternal life and leaving our 'carnal' and 'earthly' bodies behind - should be concerned about what happens to the discarded bodies.

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Castos(m): 12:48pm On Jul 07, 2012
texazzpete: I think Cremation makes more sense...you get to save land that would otherwise have been 'condemned' as cemetaries.

I wonder why churches - that preach about eternal life and leaving our 'carnal' and 'earthly' bodies behind - should be concerned about what happens to the discarded bodies.
The bible say: bury the dead. It's a corporal work of mercy.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by crackhouse(m): 12:48pm On Jul 07, 2012
Those in support of this bill say "eye", those against say "nose" the nose have it. Gbam!!!.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by crackhouse(m): 12:53pm On Jul 07, 2012
Castos: The bible say: bury the dead. It's a corporal work of mercy.
i hope u are not afraid of being cremated my dear. Don't be afraid, u are not gonna get hurt. I promise u, u will not feel the pain o.k?.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ebamma(m): 12:53pm On Jul 07, 2012
to me i think cremation is the best form of burial,because it helps save land, and money,the land used to bury people in lagos can be utilized for other things if the dead were cremated.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Dranatomy: 1:00pm On Jul 07, 2012
THIS DECISION SHOLUD BE TAKEN BY ANATOMICAL SOCIETY OF NIGERIA, LAGOS BRANCH NOT BY LAW MAKERS....
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by matrixme(m): 1:00pm On Jul 07, 2012
It's a good standpoint from the Catholic Church. It's good to still read of some good in today's Nigeria. Would you or those selfish politicians want your body to be cremated while you're gone? It's obvious it's not all of us that do unto others, what we like to be done to ourselves... Like as if they don't have more humane ways they manage unclaimed corpses in more populated cities around the world too...

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ebamma(m): 1:02pm On Jul 07, 2012
cremation is the cheapest form of burial,after buying enough wood and fuel or kerosene,u are ready,and it wont cost u more than 20k,but a regular burial expense will cost u a minimum of 500k.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Zi: 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2012
The Catholic Church should rather ask the state govt to hand over the corpses to them, so the can carry out the 'proper' burial. The morgues are too full!

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by marvel10: 1:12pm On Jul 07, 2012
Calm down, dear Castos. You read like a dog with a sore on its head. Ppl are entitled to their opinions and as I remember, Lagos is not the Vatican. If the Lagosians want to be cremated, then that is what is going to happen. Alright?
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by bodejohn(m): 1:13pm On Jul 07, 2012
...what will Nigerians not worry about? We still worry about our bodies when we are dead and gone. How many of us will still have our bodies intact when death come calling. I careless about what becomes of my body when I am gone. The most important is to leave my footprints on the sands of time and my good legacies lingering on when my dead body is buried or cremated. We need to start thinking of how to make life easier for the generation unborn. Cremation does nothing to the memories of the dead!

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by revomind(m): 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2012
I believe its a good idea and if the catholic church finds it difficult to accept, it should focus on its adherents and advice them not to cremate their dead. Live and let live.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Delafruita(m): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2012
matrixme: It's a good standpoint from the Catholic Church. It's good to still read of some good in today's Nigeria. Would you or those selfish politicians want your body to be cremated while you're gone? It's obvious it's not all of us that do unto others, what we like to be done to ourselves... Like as if they don't have more humane ways they manage unclaimed corpses in more populated cities around the world too...
in many other parts of the world,unclaimed corpses have their organs harvested and then are deposited in labouratories as cadever.same happens here in nigeria to an extent.however i see no reason why unclaimed corpses shouldnt be cremated.is it better they are buried in mass graves?the corpses are UNCLAIMED,meaning after a reasonable space of time,nobody has claimed them meaning they have become government property.i am certain that if LASG builds 50 more cemetries,they cant cater for the john and jane doe
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 07, 2012
ndsmartt: ...a bill legalising voluntary cremation of unclaimed dead bodies in the state-owned mortuaries.1
The bill seeking to legalise voluntary cremation of the dead and unclaimed corpses...2
...A bill to legalise voluntary cremation of corpses and unclaimed corpses in Lagos State,’’...3
...practised in India by the adherents of Hindus...4
...instead concentrate on building more modern cemeteries to cater for the growing number of unclaimed corpses...5
"...it is against our culture and as Christians it is against our religious beliefs. In the Koran, the respect of the dead is very clear..."6
“...I do not see any one who would want his corpse or that of loved ones cremated..."7
"...and look for better ways of dealing with unclaimed corpses...”8
...urged the government to build more...cemeteries in various parts of the state...9
...Avoseh said: "visit...the mortuaries...see heaps of corpses...not claimed...10
_
1 to 3: The church and it's busybody syndrome. I only see voluntary. If I want to, will you come and stop me? Smh. Feeling that you can control every aspect of people's lives. Amebo.
4: It's not just practised in India, and not only by Hindus. It's also done in the US, UK, Australia, and all developed and civilised nations. And by people of all faiths.
5: You won't object to one being built in your backyard, will you?
6: Which culture? Murdering of twins? Forcing widows to drink their dead husbands bathe water? Sacrificing children? And not everybody is Christian or Moslem, and even if they are, Jesus expressly said "let the dead bury their dead."
7: Just because you are too preoccupied with everybody else's beeswax, doesn't mean there aren't people that find the idea appealing. Case in point NL.
8. That's what they're tryna do, you arse!
9. Like your backyard? Or in your church compound?
10. That's too appalling. And pathetic.

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 07, 2012
Too hell with the Catholic Church. Oh, they want the state government to waste land in the name of cementry.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by Eltonluigi(m): 1:50pm On Jul 07, 2012
The catholic bishop would be interred in a furnace.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by wendoworld(m): 2:05pm On Jul 07, 2012
i thought okogie was retired undecided
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by iykak47: 2:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
Uncanny Genius: Too hell with the Catholic Church. Oh, they want the state government to waste land in the name of cementry.
To HELL with your whole family,stinking vulture like you.

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by tete7000(m): 2:23pm On Jul 07, 2012
ndsmartt:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/catholic-church-blasts-lagos-lawmakers-over-cremation-bill/
The topic of this article is ambiguous. There is nowhere in it where the Archbishop blast anybody. He simply expressed his mind as a clergy and a leader of a christian group whose interest it is his duty to protest. Maybe it should have read :"Catholic Church expresses reservation over Cremation Bill." Sometimes I wonder whether these type of captions are usually made with the intention of misleading and misinforming people.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by israelbenzion: 2:42pm On Jul 07, 2012
The book of Ecclesiastes says d dead know nothing and feel nothing. So it doesn't matter what u do to their body. And d Bible already condemns dis flesh as corrupt: it cannot enter heaven in this form at all and so is useless once a person dies. What then is d hullabaloo all abt?
And why is d Catholic Church clergyman misleading people into believing that the dead 'rest in peace', thereby inferring that some might not rest in peace? They know and feel nothing.
A dead man is a void who will remain a void until he is called up for judgment. Moreso, the flesh will rot after a few weeks of decomposition. What has d clergyman done with all d dead bodies buried? Do they dance?

Conclusion: More public campaign on d issue shd be carried out and voluntary cremation encouraged. We place emphasis a lot on d wrong things.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by emris: 2:59pm On Jul 07, 2012
na wa o. what is this world turning to

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Lucifer And Satan? / My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?. / The Face Of Jesus Appeared In The Sky In Somalia Feb 1st 1992

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.