Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill (10827 Views)

Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Assembly Of God Church Blasts Nollywood Stars Who Endorse Coca Cola (Photo) / Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by nwanioma(f): 1:17pm On Jul 09, 2012
I wonder what the big deal is sef? i didn't even know that it was illegal to burn dead bodies in this country. How about all those arm robbers that they used to put Tyre and burn in lagos before. grin
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by truthislight: 7:35pm On Jul 09, 2012
some of the comment here is tending toward religion when religion has nothing to do with it.

Ignorance i think is the problem.
Why will it not be since the churches only teaches prosperity.

Pls. Read Ecle 9:5,6,10 for a change.

There are even people that wish to be incremeted. Me for one..
Do u think it is every body that suffers from fear of the dead like some of you?
Know the truth and the truth will set u free.
Stop following man, read the bible for a change.
Peace
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by thehomer: 9:09pm On Jul 09, 2012
ACM10:

I've read the link of the .pdf u posted, written by Akinola. I still maintain my ground that most Anatomy dept in Nigeria are overflowing with corpses. When I was in the university, police usually dumps 3 executed criminals(on the average) at our Anatomy department every week. Have ever read any publication by any Anatomy department in Nigeria complaining of acute or chronic shortfall of cadavers?

Well when were you in university? The article I posted complains of a shortfall of cadavers. This is from the article on page 2.

article:
SITUATION IN NIGERIA

However, in most of sub-Saharan Africa and Nigeria, a for-mal willed body program is unavailable in most anatomy departments despite an inadequate supply of suitable human tissue for anatomical dissection and the challenges associated with sourcing human tissue for this purpose (Gangata et al., 2010).

ACM10:
Prof. Akinola was decrying the absence of practise in which people voluntarily agree to donate their bodies to Anatomical Society on the event of their death as they do in western countries. He's well aware that the present practice of using the body of executed criminals to perform dissections is a deplorable act in developed countries.
I'm only trying to tell you what happens on an informal basis in Nigeria. Have any family recovered the body of their executed family member by the police? NO!
During my Anatomy days, the pattern of execution is the same. We recover bullets from the chest of 99% of our cadavers and 99% of them are males. All of them are young people of below 35yrs.
I'm telling u these things as an eye witness, not as a hearsay. Our Anatomy department has stockpile of cadavers that can serve them for 2yrs. So they are overflowing with corpses.

Sorry but if you're asking me to accept your anecdotal evidence over the published article of a Ph.D lecturer in anatomy in an actual university in Nigeria, I'm sorry but I'll have to go with the lecturer since he would at least know more about what is happening in the anatomy department of his university.
There is also the problem of whether or not what the police men were doing is legal.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ACM10: 10:14pm On Jul 09, 2012
Post is hidden
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by ACM10: 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2012
thehomer:

Well when were you in university? The article I posted complains of a shortfall of cadavers. This is from the article on page 2.

Sorry but if you're asking me to accept your anecdotal evidence over the published article of a Ph.D lecturer in anatomy in an actual university in Nigeria, I'm sorry but I'll have to go with the lecturer since he would at least know more about what is happening in the anatomy department of his university.
There is also the problem of whether or not what the police men were doing is legal.

I graduated from "actual university" in Ghana in an inconsequential year. grin Well, it's not in my character to ram my personal account down your throat. You have the right to chose between Akinola's account and my own 'anecdotal' evidence.
Nigeria records a high rate of extrajudicial execution of criminals. And most of them ends up in Anatomy department as a specimen for practicals. Isn't it an irony that Lagos House of Assembly is busy passing law to legalize cremation, while your "trusted Anatomy" lecturer is publishing an article complaining of inadequate supply of suitable human tissues for experiments.
I hope that u also chose to believe all government publications too. It will will be a double standard for u to doubt any official(government) publication.
Re: Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill by thehomer: 10:33pm On Jul 09, 2012
ACM10:

I graduated from "actual university" in Ghana in an inconsequential year. grin Well, it's not in my character to ram my personal account down your throat. You have the right to chose between Akinola's account and my own 'anecdotal' evidence.

Since you graduated from a University in Ghana, is it not possible that what happens in Ghana could be quite different from what happens in Nigeria?
I'm not merely exercising a right to choose, I'm exercising prudence in rating a published article from an actual anatomy lecturer in an actual university in Nigeria who has done some research over the random account of someone on an open public forum.

ACM10:
Nigeria records a high rate of extrajudicial execution of criminals. And most of them ends up in Anatomy department as a specimen for practicals. Isn't it an irony that Lagos House of Assembly is busy passing law to legalize cremation, while your "trusted Anatomy" lecturer is publishing an article complaining of inadequate supply of suitable human tissues for experiments.

I don't see what the irony is. You already indicated that not all the bodies may be suitable for teaching. What else should they do about those that aren't suitable but are left unclaimed?

ACM10:
I hope that u also chose to believe all government publications too. It will will be a double standard for u to doubt any official(government) publication.

I don't have to believe all government publications because I accept a recent article from an international journal.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Wisdom For Christians To Lie In Some Situations? / Beware Of False Teachers Parading Themselves Here On This Forum / The Face Of Jesus Appeared In The Sky In Somalia Feb 1st 1992

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.