Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? (26779 Views)

Eating With People I Don't Know? Awkward? / What Food Do You Never Get Tired Of Eating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Ivynwa(f): 5:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
I came across this in facebook and marvelled at the comments of the fans who are mostly Ghanaians and a few other Africans. I decided to post it in this forum to see how Nigerians will react to it.

It is not a movie, It's a picture of Yvonne Nelson eating with other actresses and an actor in her New York apartment---So what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Afam4eva(m): 5:31pm On Jul 13, 2012
John Dumelo and Yvonne Nelson doing it the African way.

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Egbagirl(f): 6:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
Nothing wrong with it. No be dem get the food dem dey chop? Na whichever way dem wan chop am dem go chop am. Food tastes better when eaten with the hand. Besides, they were in the comfort of their own space so no biggie. Like Afam4eva said, they are doing it the African way.

7 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
When ur mind tells u too, no hard n fast rule.
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by dasparrow: 6:32am On Jul 14, 2012
@Post

I see nothing wrong in what they are doing. They are eating in the comfort of their home and not in public. I also see that they are eating fufu with soup. We grew up eating any fufu type of food (eba, pounded yam, amala, tuwo shinkafa, starch, cornmeal, etc) with the hands/fingers. I never learnt to eat any type of fufu with Cutlery growing up as a child. So, I am not going to start that now because I won't even enjoy the food.

At the rate with which we Africans are throwing away our culture and completely adapting that of the west, in another 20 years from now, we will have no African culture at all and will be like black people in the diaspora who descended from slavery. It's really sad. The irony of it all is that, those of us (Africans) staying abroad are trying so hard to retain several parts of our culture whilst Africans back home living on the continent are doing everything possible to throw it all away. Sigh!

7 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by dasparrow: 6:34am On Jul 14, 2012
By the way, John Dumelo's facial expression is cracking me up. His eyes are very focused on the food. grin

4 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by chyket(m): 8:27pm On Jul 16, 2012
I think it's very artificial to eat our local African dishes with cutleries because the originators of the food never planned it that way.
Personally anywhere I am served with any swallow food,I usually eat it with my hands. I have noticed a trend though that most people prefer eating those dishes with their hands but they are so scared of what people will say,so as soon as I start using my hands,very many other people join me.

7 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by edogram1(m): 12:04am On Jul 17, 2012
Fingers are the natural way of eating anything. There are some person who love food like bread, rice, yam, chicken, beans, pound yam with fingers. They believe is more enjoyable. Children of 2yr old nowaday cry for spone.
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Ninilowo(m): 10:09pm On Jul 22, 2012
Atelewo eni kii tanni je.

4 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 28, 2012
They're eating fufu. I wouldn't expect them to eat fufu with a spoon. I also find it humbling that they're eating out of the same bowl. I'm sure Yvonne Nelson can afford to serve them their own plates. It's sweet that they feel free enough with one another to do that, especially because they're only colleagues, not relatives.

3 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by meyri: 12:16am On Jul 31, 2012
As long as fufu is being eating let hands be used whether in the public or in the private of our home.

2 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ifihearam: 1:16pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ninilowo: Atelewo eni kii tanni je.

Must you people always expose how local you are??shuooooo

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ebamma(m): 1:18pm On Aug 03, 2012
kini big deal

4 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ifihearam: 1:19pm On Aug 03, 2012
And this rubbish made the front page abi??

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ifihearam: 1:19pm On Aug 03, 2012
And this rubbish made the front page abi??

Moderators don really see home page finish
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ebamma(m): 1:20pm On Aug 03, 2012
after yvonne nelson ate with her fingers,the price of garri has dropped to 10 naira per cup abi.

2 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ebamma(m): 1:22pm On Aug 03, 2012
i eat with my fingers everyday i will post a picture of me eating so that it can be placed on the front page

3 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by KokoBeware: 1:24pm On Aug 03, 2012
dasparrow: By the way, John Dumelo's facial expression is cracking me up. His eyes are very focused on the food. grin

The guy is monitoring the live stock....

@OP nothing wrong with it at all... It's her house, her food, she can do whatever she pleases... Besides There are so many countries the have dishes they eat with hands

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by megxo(m): 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2012
omo, john dumelo's stomach has a 'Bad sense of HUMOUR'. he no wan joke wif d food o grin
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by mhozzis(m): 1:27pm On Aug 03, 2012
How do u make front page on nairaland. is there a number you will have to send recharge pin to?

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by megxo(m): 1:27pm On Aug 03, 2012
cool pic jor.......making sense

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by freecocoa(f): 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
What is the reason for making this a big deal really?draw what line about eating with one's hand?

What will i not see in this world?some people are really jobless.
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by gulfer: 1:30pm On Aug 03, 2012
I tire for you people, so because them be stars every thing they do becomes front page . One day it will be one of them dropping poo in the toilet that will make the news.SMH
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by freecocoa(f): 1:33pm On Aug 03, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

I see nothing wrong in what they are doing. They are eating in the comfort of their home and not in public. I also see that they are eating fufu with soup. We grew up eating any fufu type of food (eba, pounded yam, amala, tuwo shinkafa, starch, cornmeal, etc) with the hands/fingers. I never learnt to eat any type of fufu with Cutlery growing up as a child. So, I am not going to start that now because I won't even enjoy the food.

At the rate with which we Africans are throwing away our culture and completely adapting that of the west, in another 20 years from now, we will have no African culture at all and will be like black people in the diaspora who descended from slavery. It's really sad. The irony of it all is that, those of us (Africans) staying abroad are trying so hard to retain several parts of our culture whilst Africans back home living on the continent are doing everything possible to throw it all away. Sigh!
As in eh my brother,this one really shock me.

Eating with ones properly washed hand can now be considered "gross"? Its annoying and heartbreaking to say the least. smh

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 03, 2012
Very cool...true africans.but i dont like ur title, it would be better off with 'yvonne nelson eating without cutlery' not 'eating with her fingers'
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by KINGwax(m): 1:40pm On Aug 03, 2012
What's the big deal about a pix dt was premediated?
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 1:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
undecided undecided undecided undecidedwhich kind mumu thread be dis .......... so what ? which kind mumu thread be dis .......... so what ?
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ijebabe: 1:43pm On Aug 03, 2012
When did Nigerians start to think that eating with their hands is gross

I know some people who use a fork as they are a little OCDed about mess and not because they think its gross for everyone.

Abegi make I join them jare cheesy
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Sijo01(f): 1:44pm On Aug 03, 2012
Wher is d gist?......ar hands nt mnt 4eatin? was she supose 2eat wit her toes?......i dnt gerit @all.
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by stagger: 1:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
I have always eaten African swallow with my fingers, whether in public or private. What the hell is wrong with that?
I am appalled at all these attempts to Westernize Africans, meanwhile a typical Westerner treat Africans like dirt. What in the world is supposed to be wrong with eating swallow with the fingers?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Delicious Unripe Plantain Peppersoup With Goat Meat Recipe (pics & Video) / How To Prepare Edikaikong Soup With Saliva Inducing Pictures 4rm A Nairalander / See The Sweet Crunchy Popcorn I Made In 5 Minutes With 3 Ingredients (Pic,Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.