Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Honest Opinion Needed - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Honest Opinion Needed (1330 Views)

Easter Vs Christmas... Opinion Needed / Let Us Be Honest- Life Is Both Meaningless And Purposeless / Atheists, Let's Be Honest- The People Who Formed Religions Were The Smartest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 6:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
Please i need your honest answers related to the picture below:

1. what is your first opinion about the picture?
2. do u think it occurred by chance?
3. what are the odds of rain, wind, thunderstorms, lightning etc -severe weathering, producing the design of this work?
4. do u instantly think it was created by an intelligent designer?
5. which is easier to create, this work or a living cell?

if you have answered the questions above honestly, then please answer just one more
6. Do u still think Atheism/evolution/big bang theory makes sense?

Re: Honest Opinion Needed by thehomer: 8:01pm On Jul 15, 2012
snthesis: Please i need your honest answers related to the picture below:

3. what are the odds of rain, wind, thunderstorms, lightning etc -severe weathering, producing the design of this work?

if you have answered the questions above honestly, then please answer just one more

Comparing the Mount Rushmore carvings to evolution or the big bang is simply a bad analogy. You need to look for a much better argument.

3 Likes

Re: Honest Opinion Needed by mkmyers45(m): 9:06pm On Jul 15, 2012

I'm sorry sir but this a very bad analogy.....

1 Like

Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 9:11pm On Jul 15, 2012
thehomer:

Comparing the Mount Rushmore carvings to evolution or the big bang is simply a bad analogy. You need to look for a much better argument.

mkmyers45:

I'm sorry sir but this a very bad analogy.....

what makes it a bad analogy?
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by InesQor(m): 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2012
This is the work of about 400 men and women over about 14 years.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2012
InesQor: This is the work of about 400 men and women over about 14 years.
work done by an intelligent mind- not by a freakish accident- do you agree?
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by InesQor(m): 10:08pm On Jul 15, 2012
snthesis:
work done by an intelligent mind- not by a freakish accident- do you agree?
Sure I agree.

I'm a Theist.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 10:26pm On Jul 15, 2012
InesQor:
Sure I agree.

I'm a Theist.
are u agreeing cos u r a theist undecided

the aim of this thread is to present a logical correlation of observed events from which the reader can make an informed decision.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by thehomer: 11:16pm On Jul 15, 2012
snthesis:

what makes it a bad analogy?

Basically, evolution is a process not a physical object, the big bang theory is a theory i.e a conceptual framework and not a physical object, atheism is the non-belief in a God and not a physical object.

Maybe I should have said you were making a category error in trying to compare things that aren't comparable.

1 Like

Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 11:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
thehomer:

Basically, evolution is a process not a physical object, the big bang theory is a theory i.e a conceptual framework and not a physical object, atheism is the non-belief in a God and not a physical object.

Maybe I should have said you were making a category error in trying to compare things that aren't comparable.
the "theories/processes" u listed are an end to a means- basically they disprove the very existence of a God/intelligent designer, and this pic aims to disprove those theories.

so pls answer the questions i raised, and then apply those answers to the ideology of those "theories/processes"
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by InesQor(m): 8:29am On Jul 16, 2012
snthesis:
are u agreeing cos u r a theist undecided

the aim of this thread is to present a logical correlation of observed events from which the reader can make an informed decision.
Oh please! I wonder how you're reading. I didn't say I agree because I am Theist. Placing it on another paragraph was for a contextual reason (linking to your own point 6, which was also on another paragraph). i.e. I am Theist, but points 1 to 5 don't necessarily point there.

I was clarifying to you that although I am a Theist who believes in intelligent design, yet your analogy with Mount Rushmore is quite poor because knowing that human beings did the carving, we can as well say that some advanced life-form outside our universe similarly carved this universe. IMHO it helps no case for your point 6 about atheism.

A far better analogy would be to use a wonderful natural life-form like The Barrel-Eye Fish and not a man-made artifact that we KNOW for sure was made by humans (who were simply more conscious agents than the artifact). Else, we might as well have been created by some extraconscious intergalactic aliens, and atheism might still be correct.

My 2 cents.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by thehomer: 5:15pm On Jul 16, 2012
snthesis:
the "theories/processes" u listed are an end to a means- basically they disprove the very existence of a God/intelligent designer, and this pic aims to disprove those theories.

so pls answer the questions i raised, and then apply those answers to the ideology of those "theories/processes"

Actually, scientific theories aren't simply to disprove the existence of your God, they're there to help explain the world we find ourselves in. You've simply confused the purpose of these theories.

It will be pointless for me to answer those questions because the answers are irrelevant to what you're trying to say.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 12:19pm On Jul 17, 2012
InesQor:
Oh please! I wonder how you're reading. I didn't say I agree because I am Theist. Placing it on another paragraph was for a contextual reason (linking to your own point 6, which was also on another paragraph). i.e. I am Theist, but points 1 to 5 don't necessarily point there.

I was clarifying to you that although I am a Theist who believes in intelligent design, yet your analogy with Mount Rushmore is quite poor because knowing that human beings did the carving, we can as well say that some advanced life-form outside our universe similarly carved this universe. IMHO it helps no case for your point 6 about atheism.

A far better analogy would be to use a wonderful natural life-form like The Barrel-Eye Fish and not a man-made artifact that we KNOW for sure was made by humans (who were simply more conscious agents than the artifact). Else, we might as well have been created by some extraconscious intergalactic aliens, and atheism might still be correct.

My 2 cents.
the logic is very simple, if you take the picture round the world and ask anybody if Mount rushmore could have occured by coincidence the answer will be 100% NO. cos everyone can clearly see the input of an intelligent design behind the carving- you dnt have to be told, what i rather find amusing that if something significantly less complex as a carving on a mountain can be deduced to be "made" how can certain folks attribute the creation of a cell as an accident/coincident
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
snthesis:
the logic is very simple, if you take the picture round the world and ask anybody if Mount rushmore could have occured by coincidence the answer will be 100% NO. cos everyone can clearly see the input of an intelligent design behind the carving- you dnt have to be told, what i rather find amusing that if something significantly less complex as a carving on a mountain can be deduced to be "made" how can certain folks attribute the creation of a cell as an accident/coincident

Was the intelligent designer drunk when he or she made these beauties?

Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Delafruita(m): 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2012

honestly,i am unable to see the correlation between mount rushmore(a work of art similar to the mona lisa and "eze goes to school"winkhas to do with atheism,evolution or this thread.the blame probably resides with my lack of quality education
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 1:06pm On Jul 17, 2012
Delafruita:
honestly,i am unable to see the correlation between mount rushmore(a work of art similar to the mona lisa and "eze goes to school"winkhas to do with atheism,evolution or this thread.the blame probably resides with my lack of quality education
i think the problem lies in appreciating what makes u. if you think you arent a work of art, carefully and fearfully made, then that's ur cup of tea.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Delafruita(m): 1:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
snthesis:
i think the problem lies in appreciating what makes u. if you think you arent a work of art, carefully and fearfully made, then that's ur cup of tea.
snthesis:
now i get your point.however,there's a big difference between a small time business man and a corporation.a mini businessman takes the time to ensure all his products are perfect.the loulders of mount rushmore put enormous effort into making it the beauty it is.a business corporation on the other hand falls into the trap of complacency and so sometimes its product arent up to standard or are open to been tampered with.take for example the tylenol case.
lets now relate this to your ridiculous scenario,mount rushmore is a perfect work of art which was worked on buy people that wanted it s beauty to last forever.is the case same with humans?
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by thehomer: 1:46pm On Jul 17, 2012
snthesis:

Did you see the works of art posted by Martian? Was it the same maker who made you that made them?
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 2:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
Delafruita:

now i get your point.however,there's a big difference between a small time business man and a corporation.a mini businessman takes the time to ensure all his products are perfect.the loulders of mount rushmore put enormous effort into making it the beauty it is.a business corporation on the other hand falls into the trap of complacency and so sometimes its product arent up to standard or are open to been tampered with.take for example the tylenol case.
lets now relate this to your ridiculous scenario,mount rushmore is a perfect work of art which was worked on buy people that wanted it s beauty to last forever.is the case same with humans?
ar u for real! u actually believe d design of mount rushmore is better than a single cell organism talk less of a Human
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 2:15pm On Jul 17, 2012
Martian:

Was the intelligent designer drunk when he or she made these beauties?

thehomer:

Did you see the works of art posted by Martian? Was it the same maker who made you that made them?

yea i did! do you consider cause and effect
do you blame God for Hiroshima, radioactivity, improper waste disposal, preservatives, carcinogens,unnatural farming/poultry methods,deforestation, global warming, ozone layer depletion, insensitive pollution of ground water via mining/ and other activities - nah! you wouldnt think that deep.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Kay17: 2:21pm On Jul 17, 2012

The simple answer is: within our experience, we recognize man made complexities because of its peculiar patterns. I wouldn't see a frog and say its man made.

Failing to recognise the difference btw natural complexities and man made complexities is one of imagination.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Delafruita(m): 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2012
snthesis:
ar u for real! u actually believe d design of mount rushmore is better than a single cell organism talk less of a Human
oykie.i agree with you.however,mount rushmore will be there for years to come,some cells dont even last 1 day.i still believe one of the craziest things in the world is erthroblastosis.the child dies just because of a silly difference in rhesus.some cells last a few years,some for more,however all cells die.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
snthesis:
do you blame God for Hiroshima, radioactivity, improper waste disposal, preservatives, carcinogens,unnatural farming/poultry methods,deforestation, global warming, ozone layer depletion, insensitive pollution of ground water via mining/ and other activities - nah! you wouldnt think that deep.

So now its man made causes that are solely responsible for birth defects. lol, at least you didn't blame it on your god's nemesis, satan.

How about sickle cell anemia? Was that an "intelligent design" modification to fight malaria?
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Delafruita(m): 3:04pm On Jul 17, 2012
snthesis:

will an all-powerful,omnipresent father allow his children(creation) destroy his own creation(the earth)?nah!you wouldnt think that deep
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Ptolomeus(m): 7:03pm On Jul 17, 2012

You are suggesting perhaps that God did?
That would be the most stup1d suggestion that might get to read.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 9:09pm On Jul 18, 2012
Ptolomeus:

You are suggesting perhaps that God did?
That would be the most stup1d suggestion that might get to read.
dnt want to believe u cud b dis dumb shocked shocked shocked
nah! i think u got it lost in translation- try to read the post slowly
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by queensmith: 9:41pm On Jul 18, 2012
I didn't eat enough protein this morning to answer this question......I'll brb!
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by thehomer: 10:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
snthesis:

God is the ultimate cause and he guides the ultimate effect doesn't he?
Since you consider those pictures to be the images of people created by this God of yours, what makes you think he is an intelligent designer? A more perfect designer would get the designs right all the time.
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by Ubenedictus(m): 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2012

as far as i can tell that is a fine work of art
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 9:28pm On Jul 25, 2012
thehomer:

God is the ultimate cause and he guides the ultimate effect doesn't he?
Since you consider those pictures to be the images of people created by this God of yours, what makes you think he is an intelligent designer? A more perfect designer would get the designs right all the time.
cant believe comprehension cud be so difficult-smh

d aim of this thread is simple- do u think mount rushmore was designed by sumone or was it by chance? yes or no
Re: Honest Opinion Needed by snthesis(m): 2:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
snthesis:

d aim of this thread is simple- do u think mount rushmore was designed by sumone or was it by chance? yes or no

still no response

(1) (Reply)

Is It Bizzare That I Am Nigerian But I Dont Believe In God / My Rapture Dream: A Warning / A Prayer / Homosexulity In Bethel & Among Members Of D Governing Body Of Watchtower Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.